Menu

Been away for a while, what have I missed?

MamaSheep

After my stroke 2 years ago I had to re-evaluate a lot of things about how I was using my time, and focus on just the most important things. This forum was one of the things I had to let go. But I miss you guys, and I've decided to take dd back out of school part time because there are some things she really does just learn best at home. So I'm going to try popping in here a bit more often and being part of the community again. It may turn out I just can't do it, because everything still does take more time and concentration than it used to, and I'm also trying to be an author on the side, but I'm going to give it a try. 

So...does anyone here still remember me at all? What have I missed? Are there new "code words" I should be aware of? New hot topics to avoid unless I have time to wade in deep? New babies? New projects? New curriculum? 

Someone please catch me up. :)

HA!  I was going to fill her in with incorrect gossip......torrid affairs, drama, drugs, arrests.......man, I was really planning to have some fun!

I remember you!  What's new?  We can't post direct pictures of kilts and cupcakes anymore but we can post links.  (I think there is a sticky about all that at the top from SWB).  

Yay! Familiar faces! Thank you for the nice welcome back. :)

And thanks for the good wishes health-wise. I actually had my 2-year check up at the neurosurgeon's office a couple of weeks ago, and they say I'm doing well and they don't need to see me back again for another 3 years (Yay! I've discovered that I really don't like MRIs). There don't seem to be any major long-term effects, and the minor ones are mostly just amusing and occasionally annoying. Everything takes more time and concentration than it used to, so I get tired more easily, I use a lot of post-it notes to plug holes in my short-term memory, and my spacial sense is easily confused by sloping floors and busy carpet patterns--I can't quite tell where the floor is, so I walk like a drunk; it's terribly amusing. Otherwise, though, I'm more or less still me. And I'm grateful to have gotten off so lightly, when it could have been so very much worse. And now that I know about the 2 sneaky blood disorders I've evidently been innocently walking around with my whole life, I can do something about them so they won't sneak up on me like that again. So yeah...I'm good. Thanks for asking.  :)

I remember you!  What's new?  We can't post direct pictures of kilts and cupcakes anymore but we can post links.  (I think there is a sticky about all that at the top from SWB).  

Yeah I saw that, and wondered what drama had brought that on. Someone must've complained about copyright infringement or something. Kind of a bummer, but definitely understandable. And hey if kilts and cupcakes aren't worth clicking through links for, what is? Lol. 

Awesome! Zombies! I'll have to re- figure out how those darn smilies work. I think the format here changed not long before I went AWOL, and either it got erased from my brain (which is a possibility, that sort of thing happens) or I never really figured out this format in the first place. Must go zombie hunting. 

But I have to say, Benedict doesn't really do it for me. Not sure why, my sister thinks he's hot stuff, but for some reason, he's just not my cuppa. There is a slight possibility that I might have a small celebrity crush on Jared Padalecki, but I hadn't thought about him in terms of kilts...hmmm....

Of course, my number 1 kilt guy (who sadly doesn't even own a kilt, even though his roots are definitely Scottish) is still my hubs. He's awesome. 

So glad to hear you're doing better!

In the past year-ish we've had some boardies in major car accidents, we've had the birth of triplets to one poster, the loss of loved ones by many, and some major health events with some others.

So.....life stuff. And it keeps marching on.

Shoes in the house is not as hot these days. Kurieg only heats up if Bill wades in. :P

The threads about social justice issues are where the flames have been hottest lately.

Well, those and anything Duggar adjacent.

Politics are still taboo.

February still finds people snippy and grumpy.

There is still no consensus on if virtual homeschoolers are "real" homeschoolers, if the world is getting better or on an express train to hell, or if the Oxford comma should live on.

And wait to you hear what DawnM and Unsinkable did to Catwoman...........

:P

So glad to hear you're doing better!

In the past year-ish we've had some boardies in major car accidents, we've had the birth of triplets to one poster, the loss of loved ones by many, and some major health events with some others.

So.....life stuff. And it keeps marching on.

Shoes in the house is not as hot these days. Kurieg only heats up if Bill wades in. :p

The threads about social justice issues are where the flames have been hottest lately.

Well, those and anything Duggar adjacent.

Politics are still taboo.

February still finds people snippy and grumpy.

There is still no consensus on if virtual homeschoolers are "real" homeschoolers, if the world is getting better or on an express train to hell, or if the Oxford comma should live on.

And wait to you hear what DawnM and Unsinkable did to Catwoman...........

:p

Hahaha! So, same old forum then. That's good to know. (Except hooray for new babies, and I'm so sorry for those who have lost loved ones. We've lost a few around here lately too. Also, just found out my little sister is getting married...)

DawnM AND Unsinkable? Oh, poor Catwoman!

Hi Amy-- I missed you.  Welcome back.

I didn't have a stroke though I had a stage 2 lateral Minor Traumatic Brain Injury (lateral), that is what concussions are called nowadays and the latest findings are that non bleeding concussions, like I had, can be just as bad as small bleeds that stop and lateral injuries are worse than front to back or vice versa.  Anyway, that happened to me in late March but I was already having so many other brain problems from lupus, perimenopause, and also not enough oxygen from my asthma getting worse, that altogether I have fallen apart this year.  So I relate to you and all who have strokes since I have many of the same problems and also having a slow recovery. Do you have a clotting disorder too or do you have the opposite?  I have two to three clotting conditions and am on lifelong coumadin too.  I was just very fortunate that my problems really got worse in very late 2013 to now and I only had one to homeschool and she is a senior and did dual enrollment, co-op classes, and self teaching for the most part.  

I hope everything keeps getting better for your family.

There's a poster on here that I think is a trolling man in disguise trying to stir up trouble with all us women.  But if I say who it is, that's being gossipy because I could be totally wrong.  I'm just waiting for the poster to slip up so I can see if my theory is correct.

Welcome back!  I'm glad to hear things are improving for you health-wise.

In the last two years I've gone from having two at home to empty nesting AND my oldest got married.  It's been quite the change.  Fortunately, hubby and I get along super well, so we've been adapting our schedule, etc, together and enjoying it (allowing plenty of time for reminiscing).  Right now, those two are home for Christmas break.  I'm loving it!

Otherwise, to keep me occupied and learning a whole new language (medicalese), etc, they found a benign brain tumor... After radiation it's supposed to be stable now.  We'll know more for sure in June.  Since that's dropped off time-wise, my body is now playing around with other issues necessitating a 102 class in medicalese.  This one is providing far more questions than answers.  I'm not sure it belongs in a 102 class...  I'm finding myself wanting to drop the class, but my class advisers don't think that's a good idea.   :glare:  I do plan to skip out on class in Feb (nice spring break planned!).

And to keep me sane (besides having hubby around), I still teach/sub in our local high school part time and really enjoy it.

Hi MamaSheep!!

:grouphug:

Things have changed a lot. No one mentioned the private forum that you had to be invited to get into, that had at least 100 members from what I heard/read, most of whom did not post on these other forums at WTM; something happened and their threads went public with private information out in the open.

I remember that day, and I think I posted on one of their threads.

That wasn't too long ago, maybe in September. It happened about the same time as the ban on kilts and cupcakes, and photos of Benedict. I don't get it either. I do not think he has it.

They say a lot of people left but one in particular came back and everyone is very happy she's here. Meow. :coolgleamA:

Hi Amy-- I missed you.  Welcome back.

I didn't have a stroke though I had a stage 2 lateral Minor Traumatic Brain Injury (lateral), that is what concussions are called nowadays and the latest findings are that non bleeding concussions, like I had, can be just as bad as small bleeds that stop and lateral injuries are worse than front to back or vice versa.  Anyway, that happened to me in late March but I was already having so many other brain problems from lupus, perimenopause, and also not enough oxygen from my asthma getting worse, that altogether I have fallen apart this year.  So I relate to you and all who have strokes since I have many of the same problems and also having a slow recovery. Do you have a clotting disorder too or do you have the opposite?  I have two to three clotting conditions and am on lifelong coumadin too.  I was just very fortunate that my problems really got worse in very late 2013 to now and I only had one to homeschool and she is a senior and did dual enrollment, co-op classes, and self teaching for the most part.  

I hope everything keeps getting better for your family.

Good gravy! That does NOT sound fun at all. 

As it turns out, I actually have not one, but two genetic clotting disorders. My hematologist says that he's only met one other person who had two of them at the same time, and that was way back during his residency (or fellowship? or...something). Apparently I'm even more of a freak than we thought. ;) But at the time I was also pregnant, and over 40, both of which are additional clotting factors. (I lost the baby and they say I can't have any more, but I'd rather not talk about that if you guys don't mind.) They said it was probably a darn good thing that I was not also a smoker. A clot formed in the large vein leading out of my brain on the right side, and the back pressure blew a hole in my brain near the optic lobe. Apparently we're all astounded that I can still see. (I'm trying not to think too hard about that, too.) But I got to see a really cool 3-D model of the left side of my brain after it was all over, because when the CT showed a bleed they did an MRI with contrast, and since there was no blood circulating in the right side of my brain, all that showed up was the left. (Look, it's true, I only have half a brain! Tee hee.) It's actually pretty scary to think about, because I had that incredible headache for four days before I could get anyone to take me seriously. I'd been to urgent care twice, and this was my second trip to the ER, and they just kept telling me it was a migraine, and giving me fluids, tylenol, and benadryl (because I was pregnant and couldn't have anything stronger) and sending me home.

But anyway, yeah, two clotting disorders, and I'm getting old. 

And things have been getting much better for my family. Dh has gone back to teaching, and I must say I'm really liking the steady paychecks. 

Welcome back!  I'm glad to hear things are improving for you health-wise.

In the last two years I've gone from having two at home to empty nesting AND my oldest got married.  It's been quite the change.  Fortunately, hubby and I get along super well, so we've been adapting our schedule, etc, together and enjoying it (allowing plenty of time for reminiscing).  Right now, those two are home for Christmas break.  I'm loving it!

Otherwise, to keep me occupied and learning a whole new language (medicalese), etc, they found a benign brain tumor... After radiation it's supposed to be stable now.  We'll know more for sure in June.  Since that's dropped off time-wise, my body is now playing around with other issues necessitating a 102 class in medicalese.  This one is providing far more questions than answers.  I'm not sure it belongs in a 102 class...  I'm finding myself wanting to drop the class, but my class advisers don't think that's a good idea.   :glare:  I do plan to skip out on class in Feb (nice spring break planned!).

And to keep me sane (besides having hubby around), I still teach/sub in our local high school part time and really enjoy it.

Yikes! I hope they find you some answers.

Welcome back! 

The biggest news here (in my mind) is that  we can no longer post pictures unless we took them. (Ditto for text.) Really puts a damper on things, but there is good reason for it. Some mean party threatened SWB. Meanies!

Other than that, it's still the good ole Hive. :)

ETA: Sorry. I missed that Jean brought you up to speed on this and/or you saw that. Still, I wanted to voice my opinion of the mean people who did that. The rotters. 

Wow. I sure have missed a lot. (And not so much...lol.) 

One thing I've been up to is attempting to be a "real" writer. It's been kind of weird, actually. I wrote a novel, because I always wanted to, and I wasn't sure if it was even still a possibility after the stroke. Apparently, life is short, and you can't count on your brain living through it intact (who knew? ;) ). You'll probably laugh--it's sci-fi romance, because I was pretty fed up with reality at the time. It was kind of meant to be a "practice" novel that nobody would see, because although I've been reading about novel writing for a while, reading about things like pacing and character arcs is way different than actually executing it in real life.  It turned out too long (because hey, it's me and I talk too much...heh...and because I needed to get a feel for how many words it takes me to get through a scene and so forth, since I never kept track before), and I showed it to some friends to see if they could suggest how to shorten it or split it into two books. One of the friends was a writer who has a friend who is an agent, and my writer friend was excited about my story, and was talking it up to her agent friend. The agent friend asked the writer friend to have me send her the manuscript. She did, I did, the agent liked it, and signed me on. Over the past few months I've been working at splitting the manuscript while still having both books work as complete stories, which has involved wedging some new scenes in and making them feel like they fit. It's been an interesting challenge, but I think I'm more or less happy with the split. I'm currently finishing up a final round of edits, and then my agent is going to start shopping it around to publishers. (Which, frankly, freaks me out just a bit.) I don't know if this will go anywhere, but it's definitely been an interesting road to go down and see where it leads. Last night, my first short story went live on my web site as "bonus material" for the novel (no spoilers, it just takes place in the same universe and one of the main characters from the book makes an appearance.)  So today, I'm waiting to see if any of my Facebook friends read it, and maybe share the link with their buddies. It's a bit nervewracking having it "out there"...lol. I'm such a baby. 

Let us know when it gets published.  We'll have fun telling people that we "knew MamaSheep back before she was famous"!  

Ha! Will do, if it ever happens. And when I'm on book tour (har har) I'll tell them to let anyone who knows what WTM means come to the front of the line. :)