Menu

Nutcracker JAWM

SquirrellyMama

Do any of your area Nutcrackers have a part you can't stand? Our Nutcracker added a dance a few years ago that drives me nuts.  I really find it an embarrassment to the production. The girls do a great job dancing, but it would be more appropriate for a Christmas recital. I just don't think a jazzy rendition of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" belongs in the Nutcracker.

We survived our first year as a part of the Nutcracker. My daughter is now soaking in the tub trying to get all of her mouse make up off.  Overall, it went well. I was ready to clobber a couple volunteers who felt they were in charge. It ended up in some of the dancers getting screamed at when it wasn't their fault.

Next year I will be better prepared for the chaos.

Kelly

Do any of your area Nutcrackers have a part you can't stand? Our Nutcracker added a dance a few years ago that drives me nuts.  I really find it an embarrassment to the production. The girls do a great job dancing, but it would be more appropriate for a Christmas recital. I just don't think a jazzy rendition of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" belongs in the Nutcracker.

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Uh... that is just weird. 

Yeah - that would irritate the heck out of me.   This year my dd was in a traveling, professional Nutcracker.  That was far and away the best Nutcracker I've ever seen.   I've seen a bunch of them done by local dance companies, many that use professionals for the main roles, etc.  Most of them are WAY too long and boring.  Zzzzz ... but jeez, the rockettes?  That's a little crazy!  LOL! 

It would be nice to mix it up.  I'd love to see another ballet at Christmas time.

That would drive me crazy too. People go to Nutcracker for tradition, not that. If they wanted a new jazzed up version of anything, they seek out something advertised as a new jazzed up version of whatever.

Tell that to the Hip-Hop Nutcracker... which apparently I have promised to attend next year. Year after that it's my choice again, and I think we're gonna go big and see the Balanchine production.

I think taking everyone to the ballet is a lovely holiday tradition; I just wish they'd rotate and perform something other than the Nutcracker every blessed year. At least one studio went rogue this year with The Cracked Nut. Still . . . This year we saw Newsies instead :-)

The other professional studio in our area (the one NOT doing the Nutcracker) did a version of A Christmas Carol, set in America in the 40's with a jazz singer singing Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra. I took ds11 to see it. It was the first year, so I think there were a couple rough spots, but it was well done. Refreshing and a lot of fun. AMAZING singer, good dancing, the setting allowed for some jazzy ballet.  :)

The boys are insistent on seeing the traditional Nutcracker, though, so I guess we're going to that one next weekend. Oh well. I should be grateful that they're interested in going to any ballet at all, right? Although I think they're more interested in going to dinner at the waffle place beforehand.....

I enjoy jazzy (obviously) but it would bug me if our local Nutcracker added jazzy, even though I wouldn't mind if they shortened  skipped changed it up a bit. :P

Cat

That would not happen in my dd's show. The choreography is tightly controlled by the elderly Hungarian studio owner. It is very traditional. I really liked the show this year. She changed the choreography on several dances. She changes a little each year based on the dancers. This year it seemed like a lot. Plus, one of the older boys has really grown and gotten very strong, do he was featured a bit more. He was absolutely amazing, coming five feet or so off the stage with his jumps.

Going to the Nutcracker you should see the Nutcracker. We've been to lots of other holiday shows. They are great too. But you don't neeed a mash up.

That would not happen in my dd's show. The choreography is tightly controlled by the elderly Hungarian studio owner. It is very traditional. I really liked the show this year. She changed the choreography on several dances. She changes a little each year based on the dancers. This year it seemed like a lot. Plus, one of the older boys has really grown and gotten very strong, do he was featured a bit more. He was absolutely amazing, coming five feet or so off the stage with his jumps.

Going to the Nutcracker you should see the Nutcracker. We've been to lots of other holiday shows. They are great too. But you don't neeed a mash up.

It's not Julia Reddick, is it? I was in her Nutcracker in Reston, VA for many years many years ago.

It's not Julia Reddick, is it? I was in her Nutcracker in Reston, VA for many years many years ago.

Yes. Small world. Throughout the last week, in the rehearsals plus 5 days of shows, there were former students visiting and watching the shows. 

ETA: the girls get to see college students, professional dancers, dentists, teachers, accountants return to the show they grew up doing. These women go backstage and visit with instructors and students. Parents aren't permitted, but alumni are. I think that's so cool. 

They probably did this so their jazz students wouldn't feel left out. Our local ballet studio wouldn't do this, but I can easily imagine a less buttoned-up school wanting to include everyone in the "fun".

I'm not even sure I'm that much of a traditionalist. I just can't accept the Rockette-style kick line and Santa coats. I've accepted the Irish dancers and Harlequins, not the Rockettes.

Kelly

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! NO, NO, NO, just NO!!!! That is just wrong!!!! No Rockettes in the Nutcracker!

Ballet mom here.  DD 20, is now in college, majoring in dance, so we have no Nutcracker in our lives.  I must say it's kind of a relief.  We are going to see a professional Nut this year just because we have to at least go to one.  But it has to be traditional, NO ROCKETTES!  I was a little worried about the Washington Ballet's Nutcracker before we saw it years ago.  It's set in 1880's Georgetown, the Nutcracker is George Washington, the Rat King was King George III, the Land of Sweets was springtime on the Potomac, but it was wonderful!!! (I highly recommend it!) But is was traditional in dance and close enough to the spirit of the original.  But modern music with a kick line and Santa costumes, NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Audiences expect the Nutcracker to be the same (or really close to it) year after year. Changing the costumes or ballet choreography to suit the dancers or to keep it fresh is essential, but changing the music or changing it from ballet to hip hop or Jazz is just not right.

Audiences expect the Nutcracker to be the same (or really close to it) year after year. Changing the costumes or ballet choreography to suit the dancers or to keep it fresh is essential, but changing the music or changing it from ballet to hip hop or Jazz is just not right.

You're confusing is with ought. Audiences (at least, the ones you're familiar with - the Hip Hop Nutcracker has been running for years, so somebody has to be attending their shows) prefer this, therefore it SHOULD be done this way.

But not all audiences are the same. Some people don't expect or want to see the same show year after year. Some people do. In many areas, there is room enough for both types of show.

I would want it somehow distinguished as a non-traditional Nutcracker, but otherwise would be fine with it. Keep it either traditional Nutcracker, or something totally non-traditional, but don't mix the two in the same program. My oh-so-traditional Polish ballet instructor would have raged against Nutcracker Rockettes, but his native American ballerina wife might have liked it. :)

You're confusing is with ought. Audiences (at least, the ones you're familiar with - the Hip Hop Nutcracker has been running for years, so somebody has to be attending their shows) prefer this, therefore it SHOULD be done this way.

But not all audiences are the same. Some people don't expect or want to see the same show year after year. Some people do. In many areas, there is room enough for both types of show.

Well then I hope they advertise it as being a modern variation or something, because when I pay to see the Nutcracker I'm expecting the traditional Nutcracker.

Our studio added in a short filler last year in order to get Mama Ginger's costume with all the little kidlets onto the stage in the middle of the act.  It wasn't traditional, but not modern either, however it was understandable.  This year they put something else in before Ginger, but kept the filler piece somewhere else in the act.  It was no longer necessary and I really think it should have gone.  It made me cringe.

I tend to be a traditionalist and we just saw a wonderful performance of The Nutcracker by a local dance center. I would, however, be interested in seeing the Q Brothers "A Christmas Carol". They are famous for doing hip-hop retellings of classics, most recently "Othello: The Remix". The performances of "A Christmas Carol" at the Chicago Shakespeare Company are out of my budget but they are almost sold out. It looks like fun!

http://www.chicagoshakes.com/plays_and_events/christmascarol

My Mom was a professional ballerina, and all Nutcrackers are judged based on Balanchine.

We did see two nice versions done by the Miami City Ballet, choreographed by Eddie Villella.  

When DS3 was in a Montessori program, they did a dance to one of the Nutcracker songs.

I try not to be too judgmental, because I'm happy that kids (and adults) are being exposed to some wonderful music (and hopefully wonderful dance)...but yeah, some things are just plain weird.  I'm thankful that the health nazis haven't tried to change the Land of Sweets dances, although I'm sure it's coming.   Watch out, no more Sugar Plum Fairy...instead we'll have the Organic Plum Fairy. ;)

I'm sorry, but WTF?!? That is an embarrassment.

I like an innovative Nut. The Washington Ballet's is interesting with an Americana/DC sort of theme (the flowers are cherry blossoms, the Arabian dance is Anacostia Indians...). The one they turned into a movie (was it Seattle Ballet's?) with the Sendak design is really interesting. But jazz and non-Nut music? No. No, nonononono. NO.  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

Call me a total Nutcracker traditionalist. Several times we've attended the local arts magnet school's production, and it it very traditional and very well-done. Sometimes their orchestra does the music, sometimes, only recorded Tchaikovsky and their dancers. They do allow a few of the school's teachers in very small roles, and occasionally an alumnus or alumna dances a larger role. But mixing the traditional with Santa Claus Is Coming to Town? Ugg.

Okay, I've actually heard that and really like it. And I like the swing version from the Elf soundtrack too.

Let me revise... a big no to trying to work in weird extra numbers to a regular Nutcracker. I'm okay with different musical takes on the music. And if someone wanted to do a full dance version with supporting costuming to a full jazz version of the Nutcracker, that could be interesting and innovative and I'd probably want to see it. But I'm not cool with tacking a bunch of Christmas recitals onto some Nutcracker parts and calling the whole thing "The Nutcracker."

Okay, I've actually heard that and really like it. And I like the swing version from the Elf soundtrack too.

Let me revise... a big no to trying to work in weird extra numbers to a regular Nutcracker. I'm okay with different musical takes on the music. And if someone wanted to do a full dance version with supporting costuming to a full jazz version of the Nutcracker, that could be interesting and innovative and I'd probably want to see it. But I'm not cool with tacking a bunch of Christmas recitals onto some Nutcracker parts and calling the whole thing "The Nutcracker."

Now THAT we can agree on. If you're gonna add random things in... just no. Nutcracker is a good first show to take your kids to because it's so short. Adding things, quite aside from being weird and messed up, makes it less short.

Now THAT we can agree on. If you're gonna add random things in... just no. Nutcracker is a good first show to take your kids to because it's so short. Adding things, quite aside from being weird and messed up, makes it less short.

But I've been to a lot of Nutcrackers and a full Nutcracker is not short in my opinion. Typically the first act is about an hour and the second one a little longer. With the intermission, I don't think it's a short show! Ds's school does a "Mini-Nut" that's super short - less than an hour. It's like a preview performance - there's less tech, smaller stage, less costuming. It's geared toward little kids. I've taken ds to a number of good professional shows and other than the San Francisco Ballet's Romeo and Juliet, I'd say the professional Nuts have been among the longer ones. A lot of schools cut parts out of the show. It's a lot to stage.

More than anything, it just makes it seem really unprofessional to have some random Christmas song and dance thrown in there. I mean, if the primary audience is parents and family members, then maybe it's fine, but the Nut ds is in is like a traditional for a lot of families around here who have no association with the school. They do 16 performances in a large auditorium. If they threw something like that in, it would just seem really dance recital. Very few people are going to pay to see someone else's dance recital. I can't imagine going to see a Nut like that. 

But I've been to a lot of Nutcrackers and a full Nutcracker is not short in my opinion. Typically the first act is about an hour and the second one a little longer. With the intermission, I don't think it's a short show! Ds's school does a "Mini-Nut" that's super short - less than an hour. It's like a preview performance - there's less tech, smaller stage, less costuming. It's geared toward little kids. I've taken ds to a number of good professional shows and other than the San Francisco Ballet's Romeo and Juliet, I'd say the professional Nuts have been among the longer ones. A lot of schools cut parts out of the show. It's a lot to stage.

More than anything, it just makes it seem really unprofessional to have some random Christmas song and dance thrown in there. I mean, if the primary audience is parents and family members, then maybe it's fine, but the Nut ds is in is like a traditional for a lot of families around here who have no association with the school. They do 16 performances in a large auditorium. If they threw something like that in, it would just seem really dance recital. Very few people are going to pay to see someone else's dance recital. I can't imagine going to see a Nut like that. 

Many of the local nutcrackers here are WELL over 2 hours.  The traveling professional one dd was in this year was exactly 2 hours with intermission, like clockwork.  It was very well done.  It was creative, and unique while covering all the basic elements.  The professional dancers were incredible.  It did move fast enough to be enjoyed by children.

My dd's studio has done a 30 minute mini Nutcracker at malls some years.  Which is a perfect first Nutcracker for young children and a nice outreach opportunity for our studio.  This year they are doing some Nutcracker numbers, but some other holiday stuff.  It is not presented as "The Nutcracker" by any stretch. 

I think ultimately the Nutcracker is a particular score and it is considered ballet.  I can accept a bunch of creatively within that realm.  Otherwise, it's not actually "The Nutcracker".  When the Nutcracker starts to push 3 hours, I lose patience with it.  ;)

My sons' school is a classical ballet school and they do a traditional Nutcracker. OMG, it goes on and on and on..... But audiences seem to love it. This year they played to full houses.

I have seen a couple other types of shows (hip hop, tap dancing, jazz etc) but I consider them 'Nutcrackeresque' and I avoid them whenever possible.  The schools that I have seen do that are ones that don't attract enough boys to fill the male roles.

After this many years, I am not super fond of Nutcracker and I don't see a reason to go out of my way to see yet another version of it, lol.

My dd is at a classical ballet school. We are knee deep in Nutcracker performances right now. I think we've done 6 already, 5 more to go. I recently asked why ballet schools continue to do Nutcracker over and over every year, and why do they not rotate another Christmasy ballet. I was told that many ballet schools and companies take in a huge amount of money from Nutcracker, and when they do other shows, they aren't as popular.

Very few people are going to pay to see someone else's dance recital.

Hilariously, that's what the original Nutcracker really was, so I've always been told (admittedly by people who have no source for this nugget of information, so take it with a grain of salt), a way for the Imperial Ballet School to showcase its students.

That probably explains why it has so little in common with the original book, and helps explain why Tchaikovsky disliked it so much.

My dd is at a classical ballet school. We are knee deep in Nutcracker performances right now. I think we've done 6 already, 5 more to go. I recently asked why ballet schools continue to do Nutcracker over and over every year, and why do they not rotate another Christmasy ballet. I was told that many ballet schools and companies take in a huge amount of money from Nutcracker, and when they do other shows, they aren't as popular.

There are just so many families who think of Nutcracker as a family tradition that it has become about the ONLY show a ballet can perform and make money. My son's company does three ballets a year. One ballet that is 'child friendly', Nutcracker and one classic ballet. Only Nutcracker comes close to breaking even. The other ones lose money. They used to do an original ballet every year as well, but that was such a money loser that they stopped. Now they just perform it privately for the company.

I wish people who go to Nutcracker every year would consider seeing at least one more ballet. But as long as Nutcracker comes close to turning a profit and filling the house it will keep getting performed. If suddenly everyone wanted to see Giselle, that would happen every year as well, lol.