Menu

Christmas food

4ofus

This is the first year my little family will be spending Christmas alone. Usually we have family in town & we prepare a turkey dinner very much like Thanksgiving. I asked the boys if they'd like a turkey dinner for Christmas this year & they said no. This is great news b/c I despise preparing turkey.

So...give me some ideas for Christmas...Eve & Day.

My favorite is something soupy on Christmas Eve. Chili or stew. DH maintains its the perfect day for red beans and rice with sausage, so we will prolly go with that.

We are doing the big Christmas Dinner with beef this year, but the years we don't, we have had late brunch and snacking all day on Christmas and that has been a huge hit. Lots of sandwich stuff, sausage and cheese to graze on.

We typically have Italian food because I can make it in advance and just bake it that day. We usually have stuffed shells but this year we're having lasagna. 

Christmas Eve is usually appetizers. Junky finger food like mozzarella strips, meatballs, etc.   We go out for a drive and see the lights, watch the Pope, wrap gifts, maybe watch a movie or play a game.  So we just snack. 

We like to have tamales on Christmas Eve with a variety of appetizers.

Merry Christmas!

I just love tamales at Christmas. I don't have a good recipe. Mine always turn out dry. I'm willing to try again, though. We're usually at my mom's all day on Christmas. Our big meal of the day is brunch - egg casserole, meat, variety of rolls and bread, juice. Supper is generally pulled pork sandwiches from the crock pot.

We are changing things up this Christmas as well!  

Christmas Eve Dinner:

Steak

Baked potatoes with all the fixins

Salad

Key Lime Pie

Christmas Day we will be doing appetizers and snack type food as we didn't want to to a formal dinner:

Pioneer Woman's recipe for cheese ball with club, wheat and vegetable crackers

Veggie tray with onion dip

Buffalo wings

rotel dip with tortilla chips

Guacamole dip

pumpkin pie, apple pie, homemade christmas cookies

We used to have crown pork roast. It's really pretty and very yummy. But a lovely parishoner always gives us a Honeybaked Ham, so we tend to have that. For a couple of years, we've had an awesome, $75 beef roast (a tenderloin?) that my hubby makes--he gets a little stressed over it because it's so expensive!

We've also had duck.

Christmas Eve is usually appetizers. Junky finger food like mozzarella strips, meatballs, etc.   We go out for a drive and see the lights, watch the Pope, wrap gifts, maybe watch a movie or play a game.  So we just snack. 

This is what we do as well. Except for watching the Pope. :p  (We go to our church's Christmas Eve service.)

For our family on Christmas Eve--we eat snack type foods.  Little hotdogs in sauce, sausage balls, cheese crackers, veggie tray and dip, pasta salad..basically lots of finger foods.  Christmas day--I make spiral sliced ham, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls and Italian cream cheese cake.  

I usually do everyone's favorite finger foods so we have a spread of a variety of crackers, cheeses and summer sausage cheese, baked brie, shrimp cocktail, meatballs, bacon wrapped smokies and dates, potato skins, mozzerella sticks etc.

Last year dh wanted a ham dinner so I made that.

This year we are grilling steak, shrimp, baked potatoes, salad, rolls, red velvet cake

Christmas Eve:
Cracked Dungeness crab and sourdough bread and green salad for dinner.

Sometimes shrimp cocktail beforehand.

A very special cheese plate for DD, who is vegetarian.

French silk (heavenly chocolate!) pie for dessert.

Christmas Day:

Some kind of roast beast, usually a big potluck family meal with prime rib and all the fixings.

If we were home alone I would do Cornish game hens with wild rice stuffing, and some kind of fancy vegetarian dish from 'Savory Baking' that could be DD's main dish but a side dish for the rest of us, and another green salad, this time with fruit in it, and probably Angel Pie for dessert.

We usually do ham for Christmas, but since MIL made an executive, last-minute decision to make ham for Thanksgiving...*ahem*... we're  having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for Christmas.   :glare:

Christmas Eve is going to be pizza and cookies.

Oh my gosh, this thread is making me want sinful cheese dip and summer sausage!!

My parents will be here for Christmas.  Between them and my husband we have one seafood allergy, one who can not eat pork due to digestive issues and one who can not eat beef due to sever digestive issues.  Oh and one picky pain in the butt kid. That does not leave me with a lot of options.  (and gets better when my FIL is around as he can not have anything with seeds so that knocks out tomato sauces and many cooked veggies.)

Since poultry is about my only option, and we just had turkey, I am making four or five cornish game hens.  Much less time than turkey, but more 'special' than just a regular chicken.

This is the first year my little family will be spending Christmas alone. Usually we have family in town & we prepare a turkey dinner very much like Thanksgiving. I asked the boys if they'd like a turkey dinner for Christmas this year & they said no. This is great news b/c I despise preparing turkey.

So...give me some ideas for Christmas...Eve & Day.

What are their favorite foods? Is there something that is not 'holiday' but special to them that you could make? 

Here we have the Feast of 7 Fishes. It's very traditional Italian and in keeping with the fasting from meat aspect of Advent (not that we fast meat all Advent anymore). Of course being Christmas eve and Italian, it's over the top. Crab, mussels, clams, cod, flounder, shrimp.... You name it. Cod is the big one, though. 

This Christmas because we're having a lot of people, I'm making ham, scalloped potatoes, and probably green beans (though I'm so sick of green beans). 

Then we have clementines and nuts and torrone. 

For dessert we'll have espresso, chocolate whiskey tart (the only time of year it's made) and bread pudding with whiskey sauce (I've not made it in YEARS and Dd begged me for it) and probably a simple creme brulee. 

We're on a low-sodium diet now so we need to make a few changes. Christmas was always lasagna because I could make it the day before and not have to "work" on Christmas. But my kids don't really like lasagna and my traditional recipe is a sodium bomb. My first lower-sodium experimental lasagna was not very good--certainly nothing you want for Christmas. So I think we're going to try this appetizer/finger food idea. Some of them may be higher sodium kid favorites but I think we can still come up with plenty of things for dh too. Ham for Christmas Eve is out--too much sodium. For Christmas Eve I think I'll do the Christmas dinner I grew up with--prime rib, yorkshire pudding, salad, rolls, some kind of potato. Leftovers can be part of the appetizer buffet the next day.

We're usually sugared-out by Christmas and don't desire a fancy dessert, plus we have a kid birthday a few days later that will involve cake.  We usually do chocolate ice cream or milkshakes. And we have a tray of Christmas cookies out for Christmas Eve and Christmas, but not too many get eaten.

We're on a low-sodium diet now so we need to make a few changes. Christmas was always lasagna because I could make it the day before and not have to "work" on Christmas. But my kids don't really like lasagna and my traditional recipe is a sodium bomb. My first lower-sodium experimental lasagna was not very good--certainly nothing you want for Christmas. So I think we're going to try this appetizer/finger food idea. Some of them may be higher sodium kid favorites but I think we can still come up with plenty of things for dh too. Ham for Christmas Eve is out--too much sodium. For Christmas Eve I think I'll do the Christmas dinner I grew up with--prime rib, yorkshire pudding, salad, rolls, some kind of potato. Leftovers can be part of the appetizer buffet the next day.

We're usually sugared-out by Christmas and don't desire a fancy dessert, plus we have a kid birthday a few days later that will involve cake.  We usually do chocolate ice cream or milkshakes. And we have a tray of Christmas cookies out for Christmas Eve and Christmas, but not too many get eaten.

I love a prime rib dinner for Xmas. If it were just my own family? That is exactly what I would do. 

We have done chili for Christmas Eve and might do that again. For Christmas Day, we like doing casual, self serve, snacky sorts of things -- cheese, fruits, veggies, dips, cranberry bread, soup, etc. Nobody wants to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and the kids tend not to want to sit for a formal meal.

We have fish on Christmas Eve, because we go to church and don't want to have meat before. Usually salmon, but once I tried a mini version of Italian seven fishes.

On Christmas day, we eat in the evening to make the day seem longer. Rib roast, followed by a buche de Noel.

We have lots of special sweet things scattered about.

Christmas breakfast/lunch is an assortment of cheese, pates, smoked salmon. No cooking for me, unless you count heating up a Brie, lol.

We do cheese & crackers, appetizers, hors d'vours, chips & dips and desserts on Christmas Eve. Christmas day is some really tender roast (tenderloin, sirloin or london broil) with potatoes and gravy, broccoli cassarole, green bean cassarole, sweet potato cassarole and rolls. We do this because we have turkey at Thanksgiving and ham at Easter so we want to do something different at Christmas. This year we will be reversing the order of Christmas Eve and Christmas DAy meals because one of my children has to leave Chrismas Eve to go to in-laws for Christmas Day.