Menu

Good over the counter facial moisturizer

DawnM

that is NOT Oil of Olay (it makes me break out terribly.)

Is there one?  I really like Mary Kay, but I hate having to order it and remember to order it, and wait for it to arrive.

I have also used Clinique but it is very expensive.

I have very dry skin.

Thanks,

Dawn

Someone here recommended Paula's Choice, and now I and several of my girls use their products.  It's very gentle but very good.  It can only be ordered online, I think.

Oops, I just read your post again and see that you'd rather not have to order things and wait.  :)

One of my daughters has used the CeraVe moisturizer and also thought it worked really well.  Her dermatologist recommended it.

CeraVe, but check Paula's Choice reviews for lots of good recommendations!  (I use PC, but occasionally get CeraVe if PC isn't on sale when I need to reorder.)

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/best-skin-care-products/Skin-Care/Moisturizers-Daytime-and-Nighttime?sort=none&direction=asc&pageNumber=1&pageSize=25&rating=3

After a 35-year search for a great, natural moisturizer -- I finally found one about a year ago.  I'm now sold for life.  It's creamy, it's all-natural, it's affordable and it's made by nuns!  I water it down -- when I put what I'm going to use on my fingers, I then run some warm water over it before applying.  I use less this way and it still works great.  Love, love, love it.  Even *with* shipping, it's less than half what I was paying for Burt's Bees really good facial moisturizer. 

Even that makes me break out.

During the day, I use Olay Regenerist, fragrance-free (started using it a few years ago after seeing it recommended by the cosmetics cop lady).

At night, I use Neutragena Naturals Multi-vitamen Nourishing Night Cream (which I love).

I also really liked clinique - yes, it's expensive.

nivea.  make sure it's the one made in germany, pat it on.  someone actually did a comparision between nivea and some very expensive brand popular in europe.  the dermatologist examining the woman's skin voted for the nivea.

and it's cheap enough I can use it all over.  including a patch of excema or whatever it was on my elbow that has been there for five years - and is actually getting better!  (it had been getting worse in the few months before I started with nivea - to the point I was ready to ask my dr about it.)

Doesn't Ponds leave a greasy film layer on your face?

I haven't actually used it but my mother has used it at night for about 50 years and she always goes to bed with her face looking greasy.

It looks like I'm the only one who uses the giant tub of Ponds. In the winter I have to use it after every shower AND stay on top of water consumption or I can feel my face get freakishly dry.

Yeah I have no idea what it is.  I even bought the no fragrance kind thinking it would be ok.  I have also tried it on several occasions.  Nope, every single time it bothers my skin.

I  was amused, because when I saw your thread, my first thought was Oil of Olay Regenerist!  Then I read your post. Clinique makes me break out.  :laugh:

Um, after entering all my info, shipping is $20 on top of the $8 for the moisturizer.

$20 is the cheapest shipping option.

After a 35-year search for a great, natural moisturizer -- I finally found one about a year ago.  I'm now sold for life.  It's creamy, it's all-natural, it's affordable and it's made by nuns!  I water it down -- when I put what I'm going to use on my fingers, I then run some warm water over it before applying.  I use less this way and it still works great.  Love, love, love it.  Even *with* shipping, it's less than half what I was paying for Burt's Bees really good facial moisturizer. 

Um, after entering all my info, shipping is $20 on top of the $8 for the moisturizer.

$20 is the cheapest shipping option.

That does seem shocking at first, but I looked at it this way:  I used to pay $24 for a container half the size of the large container that the sisters sell.  So I was comparing $48 (two of the other kind) to this $28. Plus, as I said, I "water down" the lotion as I apply it which cuts the amount I use maybe in half.  So it's more like $48 compared to $14-$15.  Really, not exaggerating.  I am just finishing up the 4 oz. container I purchased a year ago (I use it 3-4 times a week).

That's if I had to pay for shipping; I live near enough the monastery that I can pick it up for just the $8. I've told them they could easily get away with doubling the price.  Not for customers who want it shipped, perhaps, but for those who buy direct. 

During the day, I use Olay Regenerist, fragrance-free (started using it a few years ago after seeing it recommended by the cosmetics cop lady).

At night, I use Neutragena Naturals Multi-vitamen Nourishing Night Cream (which I love).

Even that makes me break out.

LOL, sorry, my brain didn't even make the connection that Oil of Olay (which breaks you out) = Olay Regenerist (which I suggested). *doh!*

Have you ever tried jojoba oil? I have acne prone skin and used it with good results a few years ago.