Menu

Okay, please speak to me very slowly and carefully about a vegan-friendly low glycemic load diet?

Jenny in Florida

I've recently been diagnosed with insulin resistance/pre-diabetes. I've also been vegan for ethical reasons for almost 20 years. The vegan thing is non-negotiable.

The endocrinologist gave me a list of some recommended books, and I am supposed to head to the library tomorrow to pick up a couple of them. I've spent a few hours perusing the websites recommended on the list from my doctor plus a few others, but I cannot seem to wrap my brain around what to actually do with the (sometimes conflicting and always too voluminous) information I'm finding. A couple of days ago, I resorted to printing out a one-page list of acceptable foods. But I'm honestly feeling a little at a loss about what to eat.

This is made more challenging by the fact that I am going through a phase in which I really don't care about food and would be perfectly content never to cook again. We're nearly empty nesters, except for every other weekend when my son comes home for a day or two. And I work several evenings a week, meaning I'm not home to sit down to dinner with my husband. And I work weird hours, including late nights. (Note that I'm posting this at 1:15 a.m., because I was working until about an hour ago.) The budget is a bit tight, too, since we're covering some of our son's expenses out of pocket. So, things like prepared foods or going out to eat regularly are not, pardon the pun, on the menu.

My current pattern is that I basically ignore the very idea of food until I'm truly miserably hungry, at which point I grab whatever is closest and easiest to prepare that seems like it's not too far from healthy and eat way too much of it. Then, sometime later that day or the next day, I repeat the process. However, the new medication I'm taking requires that I eat something at least resembling a real breakfast and dinner each day so that I can take the pills "with food."

Obviously, I need to work on some new strategies. 

So, can you all help me? When next I head to the grocery store, what do I buy? I need some ideas for healthy, affordable, quick-to-prepare, vegan-friendly breakfasts, dinners/lunches and snacks that go beyond oatmeal topped with fruit and pecans or almonds, seasoned black beans, carrots dipped in hummus and apples or bananas alongside a handful of cashews, because that's pretty much all I've eaten for the last several days. And I think all of it is pretty okay, but it's not supportable in the long term, and I have literally no other ideas.

As you can probably tell, I'm not handling this as well as I should. It's far from a big deal, in the grand scheme of things that can happen to a person. It's not even entirely unexpected, since I've always known that diabetes runs in my family and have been aware of some hints for several years. I have every intention of now trying to act like a grown-up and getting focused on tackling this.

I sure would appreciate some help, though.

(Seriously, please be gentle. And don't go crazy. Anything too extreme is only going to send me scurrying back to hiding my head in the "Fine-I'll-just-microwave-a-bowl-of-oatmeal" sand.)

I haven't done exactly what you are doing, but I have had to make significant changes to my diet at times.  I have found it easiest to build meals with known good things.

So your one page start is probably where I would start too.  Protein will be your friend with the insulin resistance medication (IIRC).  

My first thoughts are greek salad, fresh veggies with dip, and mousse made with coconut milk (for indulging). :) 

You'll find a new pattern and it'll work out, but change is hard and give yourself grace.

Ok, so I know you said nothing too extreme, but simply cannot fail to jump in here and recommend "The End of Diabetes" by Joel Fuhrman (the "Eat to Live" guy). I am vegan as well, and I've had gestational diabetes five times. His eating plan is "extreme" from some perspectives, but also delicious and incredible. You don't have to commit to it, just get it from the library and read the book.

What I have found to work great for me is to have all the ingredients for "veggie bowls" :

• Cooked quinoa/brown rice/couscous/farro.
  • Roasted vegetables
  • Pre-washed greens
  • Sauce/dressing
  • Beans/tofu

Not all of the options at once. When you assemble the bowls it's basically a bit of grain, lots of veggies, greens, beans for protein, some chopped herbs for flavor and dressing. Mix it up and eat. The great thing is that the variations are endless and you can choose what you're in the mood for that day.

Here are some links to start.

http://ohmyveggies.com/build-a-perfect-meal-bowl-18-vegetarian-meal-bowl-recipes/

http://www.connoisseurusveg.com/2014/09/50-vegan-breakfast-bowls.html

Also, soups are great low-carb option and most freeze well. I love this one http://ohsheglows.com/2011/08/30/vegan-tortilla-soup/. It's good even without tortilla chips.

You could look into something like a nutribullet. I just got mine, so I'm still excited! I got mine on Amazon but I think kohls or bed bath and beyond have them if you can find coupons to get them cheaper?

But breakfast or lunch smoothies are so easy and so good for you. I do a Lower carb one with lots of greens, frozen berries, avocado, extra ice and lots of lime juice. It actually tastes really good. You can also add in flax or chia seeds, coconut oil, or cashews or walnuts although I like to snack on those whole so I don't add nuts. It really only takes a couple of minutes to make and you can take it with you if you need to.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to eat well. I'm trying to change some habits myself. My sugar numbers aren't the greatest.

I also second Joel furhman. I saw him last year and always have him in the back of my mind when I try to eat better. I think his advice is sound. I'm working towards that way of eating, but slower than I should I think!

Also walking after you eat is supposed to be very good for sugar levels as well.

Is there any way that you and your husband could get together, make some sort of hearty vegan stew (no specific advice on that), dump single-serving packages into ziplock bags, and toss them in the freezer?

That way, when you ignored hunger until you were starving, all you'd have to do is walk to the freezer, peel the stuff out of the bag, toss it in the microwave, and wait for it to thaw. 

I think as you process the shift in your life this will become easier. If you have trouble putting together a menu you could see a nutritionist. Planning meals ahead of time, the day before, the week before, is helpful. Like you said the last minute I'm starving menu doesn't lead to the best decisions. You really need to make yourself eat regularly to control blood sugar.  :grouphug:  The salad in a bowl can be made ahead and taken to work with you. You can also make them in glass jars to warm up in micro. Maybe this could be your creative project for the fall. You want to keep yourself healthy so you can travel and see your dc!

Our endocrinologist recommends half a plate of veggies, 1/4 plate carb(fruit or whole grain), 1/4 plate protein, small bit of fat.  She recommends avoiding soy at all costs for women, so perhaps you might need to add a protein powder shake made with almond or coconut milk if you easily burn out on certain foods. Using MyFitnessPal helps me figure out where, as the day goes on, I need to rebalance in terms of adding healthy fats and more protein. I tend to be about 10-15% carb heavy on days when I'm in a rush.

I'd work on creating a two week menu and go from there.  As a vegan, I'm sure you've worked out what your favorite proteins are.....I'm guessing the main change will be switching your carbs over to veggies....

I recently purchased http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594861234/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and am really enjoying it. I'm vegan, too, and can usually tweak any recipe to be a little higher in protein and meat and dairy free if I need to. Taking things low glycemic makes me feel better so I try to do that, too. I love my crock pot, have you looked at any of Robin Robertson's vegan and vegetarian cook books for the crock pot? I keep two crock pots in my office kitchen and we keep them going all the time with her recipes. I hope you find something to excite you!

Try fullplateliving.com  They have their book for free as a .pdf.  

Basically, you try and bulk up your meals with nuts and high fiber fruits and veggies.  Doing that should reduce your glycemic load.  I remember doing McDougall 20+ years ago, and even on a low fat vegan diet which was relatively high in carbs, people were going off of their insulin and other meds.

Oh! And walkĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.after each meal if you canĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but at least 20-30 minutes after dinner.  Great for blood sugar.

Also, if you have a treadmill go to Home Depot and buy a $9 shelf.  Then put it on the armsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and use some foam or other blocks to get it to the right height for your computer/iPad.  Whenver you're online, try and walk slowlyĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.1 mph.   If you don't have one, check Craigslist.  Nothing fancy needed.

If you want to buy a meter, check out the prices of the stripsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦that's where they make their money.  ReliOn at Walmart/SamsClub is a good low cost meter.

I'm not vegan, and I sort of think being a vegetarian made my health worse, but here's where I'd start...

I second Joel Fuhrman's books and the food journal/testing after eating combo.

If Joel's method doesn't work, you can also try the opposite extreme, which would be resistant starches, vegetables, and high fat such as granny smith apples and peanut butter, baked potatoes which have been chilled before eaten, and lots of beans but no grains, and topping EVERYTHING with flaxseed, nuts, avocados, coconut oil or peanut butter.

I don't know much - but what I've learned . .

I stay away from high glycemic fruits.

aka; apples, bananas, oranges, etc.  you know, the ones that are practically staples and relatively inexpensive.   My gyn really pushes apples - then I saw how much sugar was in them . . .  I wasn't fond of apples anyway.

I do eat lots of berries.  I buy them frozen, and add them to plain greek yogurt.

You really need to track your blood sugars pre and post meals and eat on a semi regular schedule. Sorry but it sounds like my FIL. He lived on his own, traveling and working and ignored his diet (ate once a day, then stuffed himself) and basically he wore out his pancreas. His diabetes now is very hard to manage.

Each person has different foods they can/cannot eat. I have insulin resistance and ANY grain (oatmeal, rice, bread) or beans (including lentils) send me off into a sugar spin as I call it.Even if I eat it with fats/protein. So you need to track.... perhaps a small serving of beans OR grains will work for you, you won't know really till you keep a log with sugar levels. Some people can eat the grains/beans without too big of a jump in the glucose level but it triggers cravings for more carbs which send hunger signals to your brain (even though you just ate 30 minutes ago), so they are fuller longer without those trigger foods iykwim.

Also not eating all day is sending your body on a roller coaster ride with regards to your blood levels. When it gets so low you just want to grab whatever is in site and gorge. You want to level that off and keep only small bumps up when you eat and then leveling off. 

As far as being vegan and dealing with this, I have no idea other than avocados, nuts and maybe non-dairy cheese? (not sure what that latter one is made of).

But I would do the log and then ask for a referral to a nutritionist. (hopefully you can find one who is experienced with vegan diets)

I am in the process of rebuilding a diet that is gluten/most grain and dairy free. But I eat meat. I would not make it without meat. But you may not have my metabolism. Also if you eat grains without trouble, that will give you filler, but beware, grains are carbs. So you might want to keep in the back of your mind the possibility of eating humanely treated (I think that is the term) meat IF you find you need to. I say that lightly, and am aware of the ethical issue.  But I feel terrible without meat, so I try to get organic, hormone free, etc. and it is difficult to in my small town.

To start, build an ingredient list of what you can eat and go from there. You are going to need fat in your diet. That will make you feel full (not overly) and keep you from snacking (probably with carbs). My family eats a good amount of fat, and we are all thin, in fact, dh has lost 40 lbs. eating this way, but almost no grains (because the cook isn't cooking them, but he gets them here and there on his own) and no dairy is what did this. I would suggest starting with coconut oil (refined to fry with, unrefined to bake with), full fat coconut milk (canned, no other ingredients except guar gum, or homemade), good quality olive oil (don't fry with it, add it to veggies, salads etc.), nut butters, avocados. I am purposely leaving butter, animal fats (lard, tallow), cream, and cheeses out since you are vegan. I read a lot of blogs, MinimalistBaker.com and Tasty-Yummies.com have a lot of vegan recipes, so see if you like those. It would help to make something in the crock pot that will last either a few days, or feed you for lunch and dinner (or dinner and breakfast). I would suggest making smoothies for breakfast (I have a blendtec) with two fats, one either almond or coconut milk, the other either a nut butter or avocado. I use raw cacao, it covers the avocado flavor. I don't know if you can have a whole banana, I sweeten with that and some grade B maple syrup. But I can handle it without the syrup and just the banana, although it may take a few days to adjust to lower sugar. It really tastes good once you are adjusted to less sweetener. And a chocolate milkshake for breakfast! You could even add protein powder, we like Garden of Life "Raw Protein" and "Raw Meal" and they are vegan (no whey). We like vanilla flavor. I use the vegan label to get away from dairy. Also, a great snack is a baked sweet potato with coconut oil. YUM. Cut up browned in oven butternut squash (or cauliflower) brushed with olive oil, salt and pepper, YUM. Steamed cabbage put in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper, yum. A taco salad with quinoa subbed for the meat is very good as well. The same for tortilla soup. The rinsed quinoa cooks quickly. I do use chicken broth, but you can sub vegetable broth. I would make it though (very easy) so you don't get the MSG. I did find an instant with clean ingredients at a Whole Foods, it is Seitenbacher brand "Vegetarian Vegetable Broth and Seasoning." Also, a great cheese substitute is Bragg's Nutritional Yeast. HTH

For about two years I had to stay away from MANY vegetables as they sent my blood sugar through the roof. Furhman would have sent me skyrocketing. Only now can I eat fruits and sweeter vegetables. I am grain free, legume free, dairy free, and up until about 2 weeks ago was egg free. 

This was really hard on me and I'm not vegan. 

I think the only way you can go about this is to build a list of what you CAN eat, and pre make your foods. The WORST thing you can do is to wait until you are starving and then just randomly shove things in your mouth. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  I remember feeling so overwhelmed, and pissed, and cranky about it all. Hang in there. My blood sugars are normal, I never even have to step on the scale, and I've never put any of it back on. I'm more healthy now than I was in my 20s. 

Order yourself a tub of expeller pressed (no coconut flavor) coconut oil from Tropical Traditions. Start SLOWLY as it will cause yeast die off, which causes severe intestinal distress. If I were you, I'd eat gobs of it once you build up you ability to have it. You will need fat, and lots of it. You'll find out that Coconut oil (and turmeric caps) help brain fog immensely. 

Thanks for the responses and suggestions and commiseration. I'm taking notes, and I'm heading to the library in a few minutes to pick up a few books.

I think the biggest issue is that I really just don't care about food these days. Without the kids here, I have less than no interest in getting creative about cooking or in doing more than is bare-minimum necessary to keep my husband and myself from starving. My work schedule doesn't help, since it means that each of us eats most of our meals alone. 

My husband works a normal office job, leaving the house around 8:00 and getting home around or shortly after 5:00. He doesn't eat breakfast, unless he's unusually hungry and grabs something at work. He sometimes takes lunches that I make for him with intentional dinner leftovers. On nights when I won't be home around dinner time (most evenings now), I usually prep something that he can quickly heat up or pull out of the oven or 'fridge and eat when he's ready. His favorites are things like baked black bean burritos, cold Asian-style peanut-sesame noodles, twice-baked potatoes smothered in cheddar cheese, baked pastas, etc. He's actually going out tonight and so will likely pick up something from Subway.

Meanwhile, using today as an example, I am scheduled to work my outside-the-house job from 4:00 - 8:00. I will work straight through, no break for dinner. It takes about 30 minutes to drive home, meaning I will get back here at about 8:30. I am then scheduled to log on for my online tutoring job at 9:00 and work until midnight. 

There really isn't a possibility of doing things like taking a walk after each meal. I do walk with my dog most mornings, but I do that before breakfast, because most of the year here in Florida it's too hot to enjoy walking any time after the first few hours of the morning. And unless my insurance will cover a visit to the nutritionist, that isn't going to happen, either, given our budgetary concerns.

It's just not appealing to have to think much about experimenting with new ingredients or recipes or even cooking at all under these circumstances. I feel completely overwhelmed by the idea of having to buy unfamiliar foods and figure out how to make them palatable, because I don't want to eat any of them, anyway. And as is illustrated by the varying advice here, there doesn't even seem to be any consensus about what it "right."

I did just drink a smoothie spiked with protein powder, but that will be it until at least after I get home from the first job. 

I'm sorry I'm so whiny, especially when you all are being nice and trying to help. I'm not coping well.

Saying this with a :grouphug: :  Are you, perhaps, dealing with some situational depression because of the pre-diabetes diagnosis?  That, coupled with work schedules that leave you and your husband very little time to be with each other?

Here's another :grouphug: .

Ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. Your insurance should pay for it.

The good news is that you don't really have to cook at all. Stock your fridge and pantry with lots of easy, healthy options. Fresh fruits and veg, nuts, bagged salads, canned soups, a variety of nuts, canned beans. Then you just have to grab something. Schedule eating times into your day. Buy a little sectioned lunch box, pack it with a variety of nibbles before you leave, take it with you.

You can do this.

I was going to suggest Neal Barnard/John McDougall. Esselstyn is more focused on heart diseases, but there are lots of ideas there and on Engine2. McDougall has a forum and Jeff Novick (he's an RD) posts there. He also has his own website and a series of quick and easy food prep videos available for sale. I've always thought they were a bit more than I wanted to spend, however, if you really want something simple and a bit of virtual hand holding, they would be ideal.

Ginny Messina (vegan rd) is good as is Jack Norris. They're both ethical vegans, but a bit more moderate in their stance on fat intake.

And yes, you don't have to be in the mindset of big production cooking. You can get brown rice that you can steam in the microwave and plenty of frozen veg that you can dress up. You can stick with the one bowl idea and vary grain/protein/veg/flavoring. You can buy plain pre-shredded frozen hashbrowns and cook them in a waffle iron quickly and easily. I'd also suggest a nutritionist, but I'd see if I can find one that's vegan friendly. They can help you come up with a plan that will work for you. You can even find a vegan rd that does online consultations if you can't find one locally.

I'll also chime in for the recommendation for Dr. Joel Fuhrman's books. Eat to Live is more of a description about why to eat better (more scientific background, etc...). Eat for Health would probably be great for you as it is just a quick recap of the 'whys' & much more focus on what to eat & actual recipes. And, the thing I LOVE (because I'm a terrible meal-planner/cook) is that it has a 4-week meal plan in there -- breakfast, lunch, & dinner all planned out for you every day for 4 weeks, including recipes. (Perfect for me. I have no problem following an eating plan, I just want someone else to plan it & tell me what it should be.) To me, the meal planning alone is worth the price (about $17 in print or $10 in ebook form).

Another reason I like Fuhrman's books (I'm vegetarian) is that his stuff is vegan (with adaptations if you want to add dairy or fish or meat), but not the other way around. I hate having to refigure a meal to remove the meat (protein) or dairy. So, basically, he's starting from a base I like (fruits, veggies, legumes, nuts/seeds) & expanding my menu options.

I just picked up his Eat to Live Cookbook recently too.

Jenny, :grouphug: .

Honestly, I don't believe what you are looking for is sustainable as a vegan long term. I hope I'm wrong. I'd start with green smoothies, though until you can figure the rest out. They are easy, quick, portable, and jam packed full of nutrition.

Greensmoothiegirl.com

I believe she is vegan, or at least vegetarian. I can't remember for sure.

I read The pH Miracle for Diabetes by Robert O. Young when DD was diagnosed with Type 1 last year.

Although she's not vegetarian or vegan, she has to limit her protein intake due to a metabolic disorder. It's not easy. The foods that are good for her Diabetes are not good for her disorder, and vice versa. 

:grouphug: 

Honestly, I don't believe what you are looking for is sustainable as a vegan long term. I hope I'm wrong. I'd start with green smoothies, though until you can figure the rest out. They are easy, quick, portable, and jam packed full of nutrition.

Greensmoothiegirl.com

I believe she is vegan, or at least vegetarian. I can't remember for sure.

I eat very similarly, and know many others who do. It is definitely sustainable. It's just a shift for most people.

Saying this with a :grouphug: :  Are you, perhaps, dealing with some situational depression because of the pre-diabetes diagnosis?  That, coupled with work schedules that leave you and your husband very little time to be with each other?

Here's another :grouphug: .

Oh, It's definitely not been the best time of my life the last few weeks. My daughter moved out over the summer, and my son went to college in August, leaving me with a nearly empty nest and the realization that I can no longer by any stretch of the imagination be considered a homeschooler. 

I've got the pre-diabetes thing and the looming question of whether and when I should follow through with the radioactive iodine for my thyroid.

So, yeah, lots of reasons to be less than happy at the moment.

Thank you for the hugs. It's true I can use them.

I have PCOS, am insulin resistant to a degree, and was a veg for about 8 years in my younger days.  I personally had to change my WOE.  As a PP said, some people will be too IR to really do well with beans, whole grains, etc.  I ate that way for years and years, but it just doesn't work for me.  I don't get regular periods unless I eat lower carb, since addressing the insulin end of things helps hormone levels in PCOS.  I've never been overweight, have a normal BMI and always have, but am definitely on the IR end of things.  For me, whole grains like quinoa, etc. don't work well, as much as I'd like them to.  Many people will say those are fine for diabetics or those who are IR, but it really depends on how IR you are, and how YOUR body responds.  For me, whole grains and beans are a no go or must be in very, very small portions.

I would think about coconut and coconut milk, avocado, nut butters, I guess tofu even though I avoid soy. Black soy beans are lower in carbs than other beans, but again, it depends on how you feel about soy.  I avoid it for the most part. Eggs if you could move to vegetarian vs. vegan, but I understand that isn't really an option as of now. 

We use a lot of cabbage, shredded cole slaw mix, etc. as a base where some people would use grains.  Cauliflower "rice" as well.  Spaghetti squash.  How about nut based sauces?  I think cashews are sometimes used to make "cheese" sauces by vegans, but it has been years since I've looked at that.  Even cashews can be a carbier nut as compared to almonds though.  Just thinking about whether you could do a nut based sauce over spaghetti squash, for example.

I personally can't manage my health by being vegetarian, even though I was committed to it for years.  I found out my issues while trying to conceive my first born, and at that point realized I had to try. 

edited to add: if you are going to eat grains, stretch them much more with veggies (mix in cauli rice for example?) and see how your body responds, test your sugars at several points to make sure you don't miss a spike.

Peanut sauce on spaghetti squash or zoodles?  I use a tiny bit of stevia in mine, no sugar.

I'm sorry things are difficult right now.  I understand.  My PCOS and IR diagnoses (coupled with infertility) were shocking to me at the time.  I was young, "healthy," etc. and didn't expect it at all.  We're here for you.

I eat very similarly, and know many others who do. It is definitely sustainable. It's just a shift for most people.

Quoting myself to add, this kind of eating isn't for everyone. I'm not suggesting that EVERYONE should eat like this. I'm also not including grains in my recommendations, as many people blood sugar instability will not be able to handle many, if any, grains. 

Because OP is already a committed vegan, she doesn't have to make any major shifts. She needs to choose higher quality, lower GI foods, and schedule regular eating patterns. That's it. That's not huge. 

If she were a meat eater, my advice would be different. But she's vegan, and that is completely valid FOR HER. 

How are you doing Jenny? I've been trying to revamp my eating plan and I know how hard it is.

I've been thinking about you! Hope you are making some progress you are happy with. 

Thanks for thinking of me.

I guess I'm making progress, slowly. Over last weekend, I read or skimmed four books about low glycemic index or glycemic load diets. I marked a couple of "what to buy" lists and a few recipes. I even cooked one of the recipes for dinner this week. I've remembered that I invented the smoothie concoction that my son drinks when he's home back when I was pregnant and couldn't face food, and I've had a couple of those on days when I was really stuck. I'm in my second week of the new medication and handling it fine so far. 

I'm still in the early, early stages, though. In fact, at this very moment I am sitting here starving and completely unable to think of a single thing I should eat. I know it's late. but I just logged off from a tutoring shift about 10 minutes ago and haven't eaten since before I left for work at 3:00. I would just skip it an go to bed, but my stomach actually hurts, and I know I'll have trouble sleeping and feel truly lousy in the morning if I don't snack. 

Mostly, I've done reasonably well at cutting the worst offenders out of my diet. I'm just struggling to replace them with anything better. 

Hence the sitting here feeling hungry. In the old days -- you know, a month or so ago -- I would have wandered into the kitchen, slathered some margarine on a slice of bread or scooped some rice out of the cooker or poured a bowl of chips and scarfed. But I'm tired and fried and can't think of anything I have in my kitchen or pantry that is equivalently easy and not as bad for me.

I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I hope you're having better success than I am!

It's so hard! Chips always sound good to me too.

In those cases I usually grab a handful of nuts. It settles my stomach enough to make something else sound good.

Also if you find a dinner recipe you like make lots of extras. Leftovers are so helpful.

You're doing great! Little steps will eventually get you where you need to be. You'll find what works for you.

I have good days and bad, but that's progress:)

I am not vegan, but I've been trying to make dietary changes to shift to an anti-inflammatory diet. Part of that is limiting meat and dairy. So during the day I eat mostly vegan. I find the most convenient foods for me are nuts - I usually eat whole salted almonds, sometimes flavored varieties for something different - and legumes. I can have a bowl of pinto beans with some fresh salsa and a little avocado and it is very filling and takes very little effort. Legumes are not necessarily great in terms of glycemic load, but it depends on the individual how they respond. For me they don't cause a big spike in my numbers.

Jenny, this my current breakfast that is vegan and doesn't budge my blood sugar at all. Like zip, zero, none.

1tbsp coconut oil, melted

1tbsp ground flax seed

1 oz chopped walnuts

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 small Granny Smith apple, chopped

1 cup frozen blueberries

Mix the first four ingredients together then add the fruit.

I tend to thaw the blueberries a bit because they will harden the oil on your spoon otherwise.

Delicious and has tons of nutrients, especially "good" fats.

• 2 weeks later...

Jenny, one of my children tends to 'forget' to eat. Once she realizes she's hungry, she's too hungry to think, and feels overwhelmed. I've stopped asking what she would like to eat at those times. She has no idea, and it's a question that can bring on soft tears of frustration/shame.  I don't talk anymore, I just put a large spoon of almond butter in a bowl with couple of whole wheat crackers. The other thing that is readily accepted is a bit of mashed avo with two or three corn chips. It's just enough so she can think again. Low blood sugar is difficult when you're own your own. Next time you feel so hungry and realize it's been hours since you've eaten, pretend a WTM Mom is putting  a spoonful of nut butter, or a slice of avo out for you. Don't try to think. The thinking will come later. Don't get mad at yourself. either.

Another thing I've done is slip a Cliff Bar into her backpack. Often there is one there, as she does mostly anticipate her need. But some days are busier and more stressful than others.  It's easy to forget.

PS I know they can be $, but Amy's makes some frozen vegan items.  I think the Ziti Bowl is vegan, and has protein. I know there are others. Would it be possible to keep a couple of these on hand for the more difficult days?  The calories aren't bad because the portions are small. Ditto for the fact they are processed, although their ingredients are pretty thoughtful.

ETA: There are 9 grams of protein in the Ziti, but 8 grams of sugar. I am not sure that is a good enough balance for you. ?  But the non-dairy veggie pot pie has 12 grams of protein and 3 of sugar. I am not a shill for Amy's lol, just trying to think of quick things for terrible days. BTDT with my girl, so I do understand a bit.  I can't seem to cut and paste. I went to Amy'sKitchen.com to check.