Menu

20 meals for $150 at Costco. Thoughts?

HS Mom in NC

I did it, posted about it a week or so ago. We live in a high col area so I think it was a bit more. We've had two of the recipes so far, we've liked them both. The apples in the first recipe were a bit mushy but they gave the chicken great flavor. I'd definitely do it again because it's super easy, assuming the rest of the recipes are decent.

I think your food prices are lower.

Costco has blanket prices for the entire nation. They slightly raise their dairy prices in the South, but only by about two dollars. It is our go-to place to purchase food when we travel in the US for this reason. I could never afford Ingles. I don't know how others do.

We do food similarly to the twenty meals for 150. Our monthly food bill for three is 250 dollars. Part if me being home and homeschooling is that I was able to keep our food bill below three hundred dollars and our utilities extremely small. My job is not having a job so we can save money!

I think it's likely do-able, and in general, I like her recipes.  One thing you'll want to note is that you should season to taste.  Often times I think her recipes need a bit more salt or an extra half-teaspoon of one of the spices used.

I had to look and see which plan you were considering.  The only one I would warn against is the Costco plan she has for the slow-cooker.  There have been a ton of complaints about the food not coming out right and people having to toss things out.  Not surprising to me, considering that she has you freeze raw carrots, potatoes, and the like, and then they turn into unappealing mush in the crock pot.

Costco has blanket prices for the entire nation. They slightly raise their dairy prices in the South, but only by about two dollars. It is our go-to place to purchase food when we travel in the US for this reason. I could never afford Ingles. I don't know how others do.

We do food similarly to the twenty meals for 150. Our monthly food bill for three is 250 dollars. Part if me being home and homeschooling is that I was able to keep our food bill below three hundred dollars and our utilities extremely small. My job is not having a job so we can save money!

I'm not sure what my monthly food bill is. I budget $200 a week for the supermarket and petrol. Petrol is $2.20 to $2.30 a litre (I think there are 3.8 or 4 litres in a gallon) so that leaves about $160 for the supermarket of which about $20 is not food. So say $140 a week. It would be less if ds7 weren't gluten free and the worlds fussiest eater (sensory and taste sensitivities mosly) as he gets through about $30 of bread a week. Most of the non food items are related to his issues too. I buy nearly everything on special but meat costs more here I think (unless the stuff at Costco is really bad). I discounted the mangoes as they are never cheap here. Occasionally avocadoes get below $1 but often they are over $2. A lot of it is simply size though. I live in a smallish city in a small country a zillion miles from anywhere else.

I've been trying out the slow cooker recipes one-by-one before freezing any of them. They've been good so far, but they haven't gone in the freezer first.

I did the slow-cooker pork chops/sweet potatoes/apples tonight -- didn't freeze it, just threw it together this a.m.  I thought it was really good, the meat was especially flavorful.  My kids didn't care for the sweet potatoes (they were a bit tart from the apples & vinegar) but I thought they were tasty -- and a nice change from being slathered in butter/cinnamon. :p  I'll tweak it, perhaps, but I thought it was a keeper.

I did it and I'm really happy with it. We're still using them up.  They're portioned for four adults so they get us through more than one meal.  I'm planning on doing it again.  The only drawback to doing the "freezer pack" plans is that it gets a little tedious doing crockpot meals so often, but I intersperse them with other things. She's a little repetitive on the spices, but you can do your own thing with that.  We did the gluten free plan if that makes a difference. 

ETA:  I see that you're linking to the one that has things besides crockpot meals.  I haven't tried that yet, but I think I may next time around.  I found her instructions to be quick and easy to follow.

I don't think costco prices are the same here in Hawaii.

Anyone done this? I'm considering it.

http://www.5dollardinners.com/20-meals-from-costco-for-150-recipes-printable-shopping-lists/

Thoughts? Suggestions? Cautions?

Do tell.

My mistake, the one we tried was the gluten free crockpot freezer meals. We aren't actually gluten free though, just wanted to try it. Some things may be better added when cooking (potatoes, carrots, apples, etc), but we are happy with it so far.

One other thing to be aware of is that she assumes you have some items in your pantry already. In one recipe she posted it requires bread crumbs, she also mentions soy sauce and .  I see that her total for the bulk of the items comes to about $150 but if you are doing this plan, do realize that you will possibly need to buy a few more items to go with it.  

For most people that wouldn't be a big deal, but for some, it may make a difference. 

Those planned menus with the shopping lists always sound like a dream come true until I see the list of recipes and I realize we wouldn't eat at least half of the meals.

Otherwise, I would love to try one -- not to save money, but to save myself the trouble of figuring out what to make for dinner every night. :)

Yeah, that's definitely not true. NorCal prices are a good 30% above Florida. Even looking at the shopping list on that website I could spot the price differences that I saw in the store yesterday.

I'm confused....

Is that $150 for 5 dinners for 4 people?

Other than pasta and spag. sauce, bread(crackers too), and cheese we eat "whole foods". I spend about $150 on 1 weeks worth of food for b-fast/lunch/dinner/snacks for a family of 4(one of them is a teen boy).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

No, it's 20 meals of 4 servings each. We have 4 and a toddler and have had leftovers, so it could probably stretch to 5 servings if they aren't big.

I'm skeptical about the "feeds 4" bit. The recipe for marinated grilled chicken only calls for two chicken breasts. Is a half a breast really considered a serving for an adult?

Here it is. Palm of hand/deck of cards/4-5 ounces/a scant 1/4 of the plate. That's plenty of meat for most meals. When we roast a chicken we usually still have some breast meat left after all 4 of us get some and I save most or even all of the dark meat for the next meal (because it holds up better to reuse/refrigeration than the drier white meat.)

The meal plans seem too low on green and non-starchy veggies though.

I'm skeptical about the "feeds 4" bit. The recipe for marinated grilled chicken only calls for two chicken breasts. Is a half a breast really considered a serving for an adult?

Definitely is here.  Dh could easily eat 2 chicken breasts but that's likely not healthy and definitely cost-prohibitive.  So we each get 1/2 or less.  Palm of hand is one serving and a chicken breast is about double that.

Here it is. Palm of hand/deck of cards/4-5 ounces/a scant 1/4 of the plate. That's plenty of meat for most meals. When we roast a chicken we usually still have some breast meat left after all 4 of us get some and I save most or even all of the dark meat for the next meal (because it holds up better to reuse/refrigeration than the drier white meat.)

The meal plans seem too low on green and non-starchy veggies though.

This.  Deck of cards is a healthy serving of meat, though many people eat more.  I do think these plans are low on greens and other veggies.  

We purchased the ingredients to try it this evening, and we'll be adding greens to most meals.  

I haven't calculated the cost of the ingredients, but our Costco did not carry the same packages - so our costs were definitely different.  And one item, the 4 lb bag of quinoa, was $5 more than she had listed on the plan.  Just a heads up there.   :)

ETA: We're trying it for the convenience factor, but I can check our receipt and see how it stacks up against the costs she had listed, if anyone wants to hear it.  Offhand, I'm not sure, as we purchased other items.

I didnt do it to save money but for convenience. I have 6 eating and i only have to double a few so the meals are going to last me about 15 meals.

Do you by chance know which ones you double?  I'm trying to decide if I have to double them or not.  We are a family of 6, but the little guy is 6 and my 12 yo rarely eats what I cook, but if he likes it can pack it in.

I love the idea of freezer meals. I have a friend who organizes a freezer meal "party" monthly. She posts the list of recipes based on sales in the area and then we RSVP so she knows how much to buy. She buys all of the items including the bags and prints labels. Often she preps the items as well (chops the veggies, portions out the meat, etc.) because she enjoys the tedium of that work. We show up, finish the prep work, divide the items equally into the freezer bags, etc. It takes 1-2 hrs when there are about 6 of us there.  We each walk away with 6 or more entrees (and sometimes sides and desserts), for $25-30. My husband is picky so I use the things he doesn't like for lunches, but I feel like it is a great deal and we have a good time hanging out while we do it.

Yes. A breast from a small chicken might be a single serving, but if you have a chicken breast that weighs almost a pound, that definitely needs to be divided. If you're feeding men who do physical labor all day, your needs may differ, however, if your husband works a desk job and you're feeding him 3/4 lbs of meat at every dinner you could be killing him with kindness.

My only advice is that the mango salsa at Costco is...not everyone's cup of tea. I hate it. Unless you know you like it, I suggest sampling it if possible before buying. It's just too strangely sweet.

We use it over chicken in the crock pot. It cuts down on the sweetness. It's the only way I'll eat it and it is to die for delicious.(ETA I'm agreeing with you about the sweetness!)