Menu

Do you buy chapter books for kids?

We live close to our local public library and have used it exclusively and extensively for picture books and easy readers so far. Now that my DS is reading through the Magic Tree House series, which alone have more than 50 books in order, I found it more difficult to find the books we want at the library unless I put each of them on hold early in advance. But I also feel, unlike picture books, it'd be a waste of money to buy all chapter books because he is not likely to read them multiple times. Did you buy them all new or used? Or used a library with patience?

We have bought, both new and used, a large number of quality children's chapter books, which we use for school. Because I have 4 children, I know that we'll be re-using these books multiple times. Most of the books we borrow from the library are either reference books for research projects or books for pleasure reading. 

My dd prefers to buy books from her favourite series at our local used book store for $0.25/book. Then she can re-read them, and lend or trade with friends.

They're so cheap and I always wanted to just keep the momentum going, so I did often buy them. Our library is really good for many things, but they don't do a great job of keeping a complete set for those early chapter book series. I often collected them from the thrift store as well.

About a year ago, I bagged them all up and there were over 200, iirc. Not every one had been read - most were from the thrift store. I had the first four books of a lot of series because my boys often only read the first few. I sold them on our local homeschool list for like $20 as a "chapter books starter set" and I think they were well appreciated.

We buy books, picture, chapter, non-fiction, etc.. Classics, series, whatever I find of interest. Some I have 2 copies of so I can read along with DC. But I use a used book store where I usually get chapter books for .70 and on sale for .45. The books I buy NEW are usually few and far between (maybe 5-6 a year required for lessons I have planned and I couldn't find them yet used).

My home library is currently over 4000 books. But I have 4 kids(who love to reread favorites), a horrible local library (no ILL), and plans to take the books with me when we move and open an EFL teaching center or a private English library, so that impacts my decision.

I spent more money of those dagblasted Babysitter's Club books than I did on my car.

That was one of the best investments I ever made. Miss Thang is majoring in Journalism atm. :D

We use the library hold system, with a few exceptions. I am known for banging my head on the wall when I reach our library's limit of 25 books on hold! We often buy the first book in a series, though, because we leave several of those on his nightstand to get him going on a series, and our library for some reason often has all but the first book in a series. We also buy books that are big favorites so DS can read and reread them at bedtime. We frequent our library's used book sale and try not to buy anything new, though. They read the chapter books so quickly, and they pile up fast, I tend to think they're not worth it new.

We never ever buy books.  We live close enough to the library for dd to walk there on there own.  We visit as a family at least once a week and dd goes on her own two or more times.  We use the ILL and hold systems for series that must be in order.  It is very rare that she has to wait for a book.  When it happens, she just reads something else until it is available.  Unfortunately, relatives often buy her books as gifts.  In theory I do not have a problem with it but we have a small house and dc's book collection has long ago outpaced the bookshelf space we have.  It is so bad that she often finds it easier to go check a wanted book out from the library rather than try to search through her own shelves.

While we did use the library a lot, and we used the hold system a lot, we also borrowed/traded a lot with other homeschoolers and friends who liked to read. I just jotted down a list of what I was loaning (or borrowing) and to whom, and kept that in a safe spot, and crossed off books as they were returned.

We also bought a lot of books, especially beautifully illustrated picture books and special illustrated editions of classics. Just recently, one of our adult DSs was mentioning a favorite picture book from childhood, and did ask, "You still have that somewhere, right? We wouldn't have gotten rid of that one, right?" :) I look forward to passing on those books (and the treasured memories of reading together) to DSs when they have children. So, I DO encourage buying some books to be "heirlooms". :) We saved far fewer paperbacks; every few years, we'd clean out the bookshelves, and DSs would choose what were the keepers and what they were done with. One DS collected the original "Warriors" series (which definitely falls into that category of only adequately written series to me), BUT it was special to him -- the first series he really ever got interested in, and he asked for them as hardbacks as gifts from grandparents, so yes, that's an heirloom keeper for DS, and it is a chapter book series -- and not a classic, nor one that *I* would have kept, but it is meaningful to DS.

As for chapter book series that will only get read once -- yes, library, if possible. But sometimes children really enjoy having an entire series on the book shelf at home. Sets of books make great birthday and Christmas presents. Individual books to add to the series make good prizes or surprise gifts throughout the year. And when finished in a few years, resell as a set! I LOVE how Farrar sold hers as "starter sets" of readers to homeschoolers with children just getting to that reading level. :)

For buying books inexpensively:

- yard sales -- books often as low as 10-50 cents a book -- check out local Craigslist for yard sales that list children's toys / books

- annual library book sales -- by the third day of the 3-day sale, you get to fill a brown grocery sack FULL of books for $1

- thrift shops/Good Will/Salvation Army (also low cost, anywhere from 50 cents to $1-2

- homeschool group website -- "classifieds" or "sale/swap/exchange" section

- annual homeschool used curriculum/book sale

- used book stores -- cost runs about half the original cover price (our used book stores buy books, too, so when you're done with books you can "recycle", get credit from the used book store, and then use the credit to buy more books)

Also check out Paperback Swap (an online "credit" system -- only costs you postage to mail books to others on the list, and in turn, others mail you books you want at no cost to you).

As a kid in public school I ADORED the twice-a-year Scholastic Book Fair/Reading Club -- it was SO fun pouring over the list of books and trying to decide which 2 books (parent-imposed limit) to settle on. Because it's a big classroom buying all at once, they offer new books at a discounted rate. Our homeschool group goes in together to do this, but you can also contact your local elementary school and ask to go in with them.

Yes!

DD13 had several series (and stand-alone chapter books) that got passed down to her 3 siblings - and recently got donated to my sister. Literally hundreds of books. The ones that are left are keepers.

If family members ever ask about gifts for kids, I always tell them to get either Barnes & Noble gift cards, or to take DC to a local bookstore. 

We live close to our local public library and have used it exclusively and extensively for picture books and easy readers so far. Now that my DS is reading through the Magic Tree House series, which alone have more than 50 books in order, I found it more difficult to find the books we want at the library unless I put each of them on hold early in advance. But I also feel, unlike picture books, it'd be a waste of money to buy all chapter books because he is not likely to read them multiple times. Did you buy them all new or used? Or used a library with patience?

I buy books for my children. I don't really specify "chapter books" in my head, though, as that is not a phrase that I ever heard anyone use until I started posting here. :-) Books that we have enjoyed and would like to read often...those are the ones I buy, especially if they are rare, such as the Chestry Oak or the Little White Horse.

I don't mind buying used books if they are in good condition. In fact, many of the books I bought are OOP, so I have to buy used.

We do both. I love the library, but mainly get ebooks and audiobooks from there.

I'm a book-a-holic and I have an obsession with shiny, clean books. I get twitchy at a crease in the spine of one of my own paperbacks. :) My oldest reads books several times, and I have three kids so they will get good use.

Eta a word

We live 20 minutes from the library so have never used it much.  I buy gobs and gobs of chapter books and pile them like puppies everywhere.  I have filled an Ikea Expedit and two other bookshelves, plus the books in the kids' rooms.  It is insanity.  We love it. 

Many of our books come from Half Price Books in the clearance section or library sales.

I buy anything that would take too long in the library waiting list. DS rereads everything, so he will use the same book at least 4 times, so I don't bother with the cost. He reads middle school level books and he spent the last weekend going through his old picture books because he had forgotten all about them :)

I was all for the library thing.  But last Christmas, Miss E asked me to buy the MT book series so she could re-read them repeatedly.  I am not sure she actually did re-read many of them.  But I also went a little nuts and ended up with about 100 paperbacks under the tree last year.  :P  I have also bought the Harry Potter books and will probably continue to buy books as the girls request - within reason.

I buy classics but not series books. We use the library heavily. We have a large, excellent library system (holds, ebooks, ILL) and a 100 item per card limit (3 cards!) so only rarely do I strike out with the library.

We give each child a nice hardback for birthdays and Christmas every year. And sometimes they get nice books from relatives, when I am good about keeping their Amazon wish lists current.

My kids do have some paperback books that we have gotten at yard sales, book sales, thrift shop etc. They like to get books and I like for them to like to get books! It is nice to have something new to read right at hand and to have books I don't mind hauling around in backpacks or taking on a trip etc.

I still buy those twaddly series books (right now, things like Dear Dumb Diary p, Diary of a Wimpy a kid, etc) at used bookstores by the stack. (Along with lots of other cheap funny middle grade books). DD can read one in a single sitting, but likes them, and she has enough friends who read them to pass them on to. I figure .25-1.00 for a book that several kids end up reading is worth it (and she gets quite a few from her friends, too).