Menu

Potluck Weddings: Are they Tacky?

JumpyTheFrog

Are potluck weddings tacky?  

232 members have voted

1. 1. Are potluck weddings tacky?

• Not tacky
    • Always tacky
    • Tacky if you can afford something nicer (even if just cake and punch) without debt
    • Other

I just heard about another potluck wedding in my area. I went to one five years ago and they didn't have any dancing, not even for the bride and groom. It was a boring reception and people only stayed 1-2 hours.

Now, I grew up in the northeast where weddings are a big deal. While I am very frugal, the idea of only spending a few hundred dollars on a wedding with no entertainment and where everyone had to cook bothers me (unless maybe if the family paying is poor, that would be different). Where I live now, the quiverful crowd of our former church seems to favor weddings that are less elaborate than most people's Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners. It seems really cheap to me, like the parents are afraid of setting a precent for their large families of spending much.

I think a potluck wedding can be a great way of your personal community/family coming together to support the new couple.  Of course, I've never been one for spending $$$ on weddings.  I would not be in the least offended if asked to a potluck reception; I would actually feel honored to help the new couple out.  My dd just got married this past June, and while it wasn't a potluck wedding, we purchased the food and their good friends did most of the preparation.  There were numerous people who asked what they could bring, and I while I told them not to bring anything, some of them did.  It was great.

Now if you have the money and aren't going into debt to put on a reception, by all means, do so.  But if you can't, and you have close friends and family, I don't see any problem with having a potluck reception.  In fact, just today, we were talking to the bank teller, and she was telling us about her upcoming wedding.  They have decided to have a potluck reception.  I think it's fine.

Wow. I guess I just never thought of a celebration of a marriage as carrying a responsibility to provide expensive food and entertainment. 

I think potluck weddings sound lovely. The idea of a young couple's community coming together to celebrate their marriage and send them off with a party sounds just wonderful to me.

But then I'm most definitely not a keeping-up-with-the-Joneses kind of person.

Okay, my opinion may not count because I married at the courthouse 24 years ago in jeans and tennis shoes. Here ya go anyway. A wedding is a celebration and it is entirely possible and super fun to celebrate a zillion ways. I think tacky is in the eye of the beholder.  :coolgleamA: The positive way to handle an unusual wedding is to have as much fun as possible and always, always take a flask. Okay, I'm kidding. No, I'm not. Weddings can be long and are more fun if you have a flask. I'm kidding. No, I'm not. 

Pot luck? Love it! Take two flasks and share. And some deviled eggs for the table.  :party:

I said "always tacky."    I have been to some very nice weddings/receptions that were simple cake and punch affairs.  I've also been to some nice weddings that were more elaborate.  I've never been invited to a hugely expensive, elaborate wedding - guess I just don't run in those crowds.

Whenever I go to a wedding, there is at least one shower to attend, and of course a wedding gift to give.  I am happy to attend showers and love buying gifts for the bride and groom! But I admit that I resent the burden of having to provide food.   The exception would be if a close friend or family member specifically asked me to bring something that they wanted.   But not random "bring a dish to share" kind of thing.  

I don't think the financial status of the people paying for the wedding has anything to do with it.   Most people have financial limits they have to live within.

Backyard barbecue weddings are fine and fun.  I've been to plenty of those, but still the families provided the food, not the guests.

Unless it's only close family/friends and a very informal get-together, I can't see asking all guests to bring food to a wedding reception.  (If there are a few great cooks in the family for whom cooking/catering would be an ideal wedding present, then fine, but not pot luck.)  If you can't afford a modest wedding reception including eats, don't have a formal reception.

I think it depends on the rest of the wedding theme. If they invite a crowd of people who aren't close family and friends, have a fairly typical ceremony with decorations, flowers, etc., and then proceed to a potluck reception, then it would be tacky, IMO. If they were to have a wedding with close family and friends only, with a pretty small ceremony with nice but restrained decorations and attire, then I think it could be wonderful. It's all about the overall feel of the event, kwim? It's kind of like jeans- they're tacky at a formal event but perfect for a backyard cook out. 

Wow. I guess I just never thought of a celebration of a marriage as carrying a responsibility to provide expensive food and entertainment.

Who said anything about expensive? In my opinion, even getting catered by Chipotle (although it might be too messy) would be better.

And entertainment doesn't have to cost much. With iPods people could probably get away without a DJ. We paid $300 for a charicature artist and that kept the non-dancing guests quite entertained. We had a different flavor cake on each table as the centerpiece with got the guests mingling as they went around trying different flavors. People still talk about that. The cakes were only about $12 each.

Here is the thing.

When you're invited to a wedding, there is the assumption that you are going to attend, it's pretty much a command performance, because it's a special day, a new beginning, a time to share the joy of the couple and bless them with your presence and a gift.

So it's not like a typical 'take it or leave it' potluck where you can just not go if you don't feel like it or feel like cooking. 

That more or less obligatory nature of the invitation makes further demands particularly onerous.

I enjoy a nice pot luck wedding.  The spirit of helping and family is so strong and it just seems more "real" to me than a bunch of strangers paid to serve dry lifeless chicken.  IMO a wedding isn't about me being entertained or served, but about joining a couple in celebrating the start of their new life together.

I don't have any problem with having an informal wedding and reception, but I don't think wedding guests should be obligated to bring food. A potluck wedding does cross the line into tacky IMO. You don't need to have a meal after a wedding; just have cake and punch if you can't afford to feed guests dinner. I think even if it's a backyard BBQ the hosts should provide the food. I'd also worry about the "luck" aspect of a potluck wedding--not having enough main dishes, too many salads, keeping things the right temp... There's also the issue of out-of-town guests; what are they supposed to prepare from a hotel room? What do guests do with the food while they're at the wedding? How does the food get to the reception location? All the logistics of how this would work give me a headache. I'm changing my vote from "tacky" to "PITA."

I think my sister did the main cooking for one brother's wedding reception (but it's a long time ago - foggy).  They did the ceremony at the JP, with the wedding march programmed into my brother's electronic piano.  At the reception, I was the bartender, which was a huge joke since I don't drink and have no knowledge.  :P  People were telling me how to mix drinks and they were lying.  :P  I believe my brother's band mate was the DJ.  Needless to say, the families were broke.  Nevertheless, a good time was had by all.  ;)

It's amazing to me how people openly judge other people's weddings- they spent too much, they spent too little, they invited too many people, why wasn't I invited?!, I can't believe they didn't dance, I was bored, I was too hot, can you believe they served alcohol?!, how boring- no open bar.....

Um....it's not about you. And if you think it is, just do everyone a favor and stay home.

I have absolutely loved every single wedding I've ever been to. It's a holy moment and I'm just honored to be present.

Dh and I had an organized covered dish for our reception. We paid $500 to rent a beautiful building, a friend made is beautiful,cakes.....we paid her though....we had music....

Friends of mine made chicken, rice salad bread.....it was lovely. Probably 25-30 guests contributed to the food.

We had married privately about three weeks earlier...but we dressed back ip in gown and tux...our boys wore their suits and matching ties....guests dressed up. It was nice.

I think whether it is a tacky wedding or not does not depend upon it being covered dish vs catered.

It's amazing to me how people openly judge other people's weddings- they spent too much, they spent too little, they invited too many people, why wasn't I invited?!, I can't believe they didn't dance, I was bored, I was too hot, can you believe they served alcohol?!, how boring- no open bar.....

Um....it's not about you. And if you think it is, just do everyone a favor and stay home.

I have absolutely loved every single wedding I've ever been to. It's a holy moment and I'm just honored to be present.

and that wasn't judge-y at all! :)

Do you mean that you wish you had spent less on food? Or are you saying you wish you had done something different to make it more fun?

I wish it hadn't been boring. I also wish I would have felt confident enough to make it more "me". I usually have an " oh well" attitude about stuff like this but I'm having a regretful day today.

Funny story about an open bar at a wedding reception--a friend of mine got married while we were still in college.  He had a simple church reception, with two bowls of punch.  Everyone was trying to figure out which one had the alcohol, for various reasons (to partake or to avoid, LOL).  My date informed me that he was sure that the one on the right was the one with the booze because he was starting to feel woozy.  So I asked the groom.

Now, we were very good friends, and he knew he could confide in me.

The truth was that NEITHER of them had alcohol.  He had implied that one did as a sop to those who wanted some, but having some relatives who were very ugly when drunk, he and his fiance had decided not to serve any, but not to tell anyone that.

So my date had gotten tipsy out of sheer psychosomatics, and the wedding was really nice.  :)

I think it's simply honest to say some things are not fun.  And it can be helpful to those who might be considering their options for a future event.

Personally I hate cooking (and I don't know how), and I hate dressing up.  When I receive a wedding invite, this means I am to give a significant amount of cash whether I attend or not, and it usually means I have to get dressed up, smile, and make small talk with strangers for hours; and if it's someone close, I'll also need to buy a gift and ask what else I can do to help out.  To have to bring food on top of that is not my idea of fun.  Actually it would irritate me.  I might as well be honest about it.

Funny story about an open bar at a wedding reception--a friend of mine got married while we were still in college.  He had a simple church reception, with two bowls of punch.  Everyone was trying to figure out which one had the alcohol, for various reasons (to partake or to avoid, LOL).  My date informed me that he was sure that the one on the right was the one with the booze because he was starting to feel woozy.  So I asked the groom.

The truth was that NEITHER of them had alcohol.  He had implied that one did as a sop to those who wanted some, but having some relatives who were very ugly when drunk, he and his fiance had decided not to serve any, but not to tell anyone that.

So my date had gotten tipsy out of sheer psychosomatics, and the wedding was really nice.  :)

That's great!

I attended a wedding where the best man was a mean drunk.  At the reception, he beat his fiance bloody and the cops had to come.  Needless to say that was about the worst day of the bride's life.  Ever since then, I've been wondering about the best way to have a traditional wedding without alcohol.

I wanted to have a potluck wedding and ask people not to give gifts and just come. We had no money, but I also didn't want dishes or appliances and I can't even really say why...  I just wanted to be married and have a fun party. My mother nixed it because of out of town guests and so forth.

As it was, I think that would have been better. The food we bought sucked. No one gave us much of anything worth remembering anyway. We had dancing and fun and that wouldn't have changed. But oh well. We made SO many mistakes in planning our wedding. It's funny but I was having a conversation with a friend who is just getting married now and I was like, you're going to do such a better job planning your wedding now than I did because now we're older and so much wiser and more savvy about what matters and doesn't and resources and food and so forth. And he laughed and was like, but I loved your wedding it was so simple and beautiful. Ha.

I'm not reading the answers. I don't want to know how tacky you all think I am.

I think weddings that financially stress the couple and/or their families are tacky.

I think potluck weddings can be handled tackily or untackily, but overall support people making more frugal choices.

I am not coming at this from a quiverfull standpoint at all. I've just never understood big weddings.

I wanted to have a potluck wedding and ask people not to give gifts and just come. We had no money, but I also didn't want dishes or appliances and I can't even really say why...  I just wanted to be married and have a fun party. My mother nixed it because of out of town guests and so forth.

As it was, I think that would have been better. The food we bought sucked. No one gave us much of anything worth remembering anyway. We had dancing and fun and that wouldn't have changed. But oh well. We made SO many mistakes in planning our wedding. It's funny but I was having a conversation with a friend who is just getting married now and I was like, you're going to do such a better job planning your wedding now than I did because now we're older and so much wiser and more savvy about what matters and doesn't and resources and food and so forth. And he laughed and was like, but I loved your wedding it was so simple and beautiful. Ha.

I'm not reading the answers. I don't want to know how tacky you all think I am.

I could have written this. (except I did want dishes lol) I also wanted potluck and that was nixed. I ended up having a kinda compromise btwn what my Mom wanted and what I/we wanted. I did not like my reception at all (although my ceremony was incredible).

There seem to be too many ways to offend folks at an event that is suppose to be about celebration. It makes me sad.

I voted not tacky, and I am about to go to a wedding here shortly that will have a potluck reception. :D  No one is required to bring a dish in order to attend the reception, but the meal at the reception will consist of the dishes brought by guests. The bride asked that the dishes be accompanied by the recipe so that they can start their new life together with a cookbook full of recipes from their friends and family, and I thought that was a wonderful idea.

I have attended quite a few weddings; I am a bit of a professional wedding crasher (also known as the pastor's wife :lol: ) and I have eaten many catered meals at wedding receptions. I am putting my money on the food this afternoon being some of the best I have had at a reception.

I have never attended one/been invited to one. I think I would postpone a reception/not have one if I wasn't willing to just do something like cake and drinks. I wouldn't even want to think about where to store the food during the wedding (I don't want the food sitting out getting cold or going bad during the wedding).

If I was accustomed to the concept then I might feel differently. It just sounds kind of foreign to me, though. As it is, people are probably expecting to either buy a nice outfit to wear to the wedding (or dig one out of their closet if they have something) and buy a gift. I don't want them to have to cook on top of that. Plus, what if they are driving a good distance? I don't want to worry about food safety.

When it is a foreign concept I can see how it would be overwhelming. I have been raised up with covered dishes for all kinds of events my entire life. For any event if there is a covered dish out of town guests are given lots of grace....if they are coming too far no one expects them to bring anything. If they are coming a short distance they are asked to bring non perishable things.

Seriously....we have it down. ;)

I think a better example of 'tacky' is complaining about how someone chooses to host their event. The reception is an opportunity for family and friends to celebrate the new marriage.   If someone thinks the event is too simple, too casual, or just hates the idea of a potluck, then they shouldn't go.  

I dunno... I think if I was going to be planning or helping to plan a wedding reception, I'd want to know what people like and don't like.  After all, a reception is a party to which the hosts are inviting guests.   As such, they do have a bit of an obligation to make their guests as comfortable as possible and I would think they'd want the guests to have a good time too.    That doesn't necessarily mean a great expense.  

I voted not tacky, and I am about to go to a wedding here shortly that will have a potluck reception. :D  No one is required to bring a dish in order to attend the reception, but the meal at the reception will consist of the dishes brought by guests. The bride asked that the dishes be accompanied by the recipe so that they can start their new life together with a cookbook full of recipes from their friends and family, and I thought that was a wonderful idea.

I have attended quite a few weddings; I am a bit of a professional wedding crasher (also known as the pastor's wife :lol: ) and I have eaten many catered meals at wedding receptions. I am putting my money on the food this afternoon being some of the best I have had at a reception.

OK so I have a practical question.  If all the food is provided by guests, but no one is required to bring anything, what happens if a majority of people don't bring anything?   Then there is not going to be enough food, right?  

Not too long ago I received a wedding invitation that included a request to bring some sort of room temperature finger food.  We were told it was not required, but to let the bride know if we could not bring something so she could contact the caterer to have them provide more food.  Huh?  That sure felt like a requirement to me.   Who's going to do call her and say no, I'm not going to bring food?  No one I knew did, and it wasn't because we were so excited to take food. 

How does that work for out of town guests? 

If I were doing it, I would probably arrange for close (emotionally and geographically) friends and family who wouldn't be offended or otherwise put out by the request to bring specific dishes in lieu of a gift, rather than having it be total potluck. You don't generally need or want everyone to bring a dish, anyways.

I don't doubt that people can make good homecooked food. I would just feel guilty that I have put another burden on my guests. And asking for the recipe sounds cool but what if you don't cook? I guess you just put something store bought on the table and hope no one asks for the recipe.

I've never heard of a potluck where there was an obligation to specifically bring something home-cooked. People often do cook because it's cheaper, but there's always trays of clearly store-bought cookies or frozen lasagna.

I don't think they're tacky, and I grew up in an area where ridiculously over-the-top weddings are the norm.

I actually like the coming together of community to put together a wedding for a friend or somebody they love.  I wouldn't necessarily do an every guest brings something type potluck, but I have no problem asking some friends to do desserts, others to do appetizers, etc.

I also think that going into debt for a one-day party is more tacky (well, not tacky, but ridiculous) than accepting the help of friends.

Not tacky. 

I've never understood why people have rules about something like a wedding...  

It's a joyful celebration where a couple invites their friends and family to celebrate with them.  So long as they aren't being blatantly rude, demanding, etc., I tend to think the couple gets to set the rules for their celebration.  

Potluck?

I'll bring my broccoli raisin stuff.  :) 

Also covered dish has never been instead of gift. Covered dish isn't...or doesn't have to be expensive. If you hate cooking or get stressed by the thought then you are the one who brings KFC. Sometimes when I've been working and had no time I would buy KFC and put it in a nice casserole dish. LOL....no one is fooled of course but it makes me feel better and KFC is always eaten.

Of course all the above is for regular old covered dish. Most wedding receptions I have been to that were covered dish were of the organized sort.

Wow. I'm with Jenny. I loved my cake and champagne wedding reception at my parents' house.

My mom's friends threw my little sister's wedding reception. My DBIL was being transferred to Germany. (You military people have a specific word for that, but I'm drawing a blank.) in order for my sister and her son to go with him, they had to get married. Pretty quickly. My mom's best friend had recently died, and all of Mom's friends came together to put on the reception at someone's house. It was lovely, lively, and a lot of fun. It might have been considered potluck, even.

And I grew up in an area where $$$ weddings are the norm. Everyone loved our simple weddings. People weren't bored. My older sister had a $$$ wedding that was tons of fun, too, including bus tours of Washington, DC and Baltimore the morning before the wedding.

I don't think there is just one good way to throw a wedding reception.

Okay, my opinion may not count because I married at the courthouse 24 years ago in jeans and tennis shoes. Here ya go anyway. A wedding is a celebration and it is entirely possible and super fun to celebrate a zillion ways. I think tacky is in the eye of the beholder. :coolgleamA: The positive way to handle an unusual wedding is to have as much fun as possible and always, always take a flask. Okay, I'm kidding. No, I'm not. Weddings can be long and are more fun if you have a flask. I'm kidding. No, I'm not.

Pot luck? Love it! Take two flasks and share. And some deviled eggs for the table. :party:

Love this!

That's so smart!  We didn't have alcohol for multiple reasons- we were teens, the reception hall didn't allow it,  my family can't be trusted with it, we would have never been able to afford it anyways, ect.  Do you know what my family/friends did?  They tailgated.  I kid you not.  My dad's friend brought a trunk full.  My best friend's dad actually snuck in two small kegs of spiked juice.  Drunk people everywhere, despite our best efforts.