Menu

Brainstorming about dorm breakfast

dirty ethel rackham

Ds is leaving for college in 3 days.  (I know that most kids have left already, but ds is going to a college on the quarter system so their first term starts in September.)  The highest meal plan only has 14 meals a week.  This is a kid who eats 3 full meals a day plus snacks.  He doesn't eat much in convenience foods - he cooks his own breakfast every day (even if it is at 11 am.)  Not much for cereal.  Hates yogurt (can't even stand the smell of it and will leave the room if someone is eating it.)  He has an 8:30 am class, but he is a night-owl, so I am trying to help him figure out breakfast foods he can have in his dorm room.  They have a microwave on his floor, but that is about it.  He can have a 4 cu/ft refrigerator. Not a ton of storage space (as is true with most dorm rooms.

Due to his mental health issues, I feel nutrition is a high priority for him as part of a "stay healthy" plan.  We are experimenting with "overnight oatmeal" (boiling water on regular rolled oats in a thermos) and adding a trail mix to it, but, so far, he is not a huge fan.  We need to tweak the added ingredients.  I don't want to do instant oatmeal because it is just too sugary and not high enough in protein.  I don't want him to rely too much on peanut butter because he has sensitized himself in the past (excema plus facial tics if he ODs on the stuff.)  A couple of times a week is fine, but not daily.   No reliable transportation to a grocery store on a regular basis.  They do have a small grocery/snack store on campus that has fresh foods, but I am sure that will get expensive. 

Heavy sigh.  I need to get over my irritation over not having a more complete meal plan for him and help him problem solve. 

Any ideas for healthy, easy to prepare and store breakfast foods? 

www.theoatmealartist.com has a ton of ideas for oatmeal - the many different incarnations of oatmeal is nearly mind boggling.

Can he do some version of a muffin in a mug using the microwave? Maybe if he had the dry ingredients premixed/proportioned in little Ziploc bags he could just mix an egg into it in the morning. My boy has a (contraband) crock-pot in his room that he uses on the weekends - a farmer's casserole type dish can be made in that and then stored in the fridge.  

What about learning to like "dinner for breakfast"? Microwavable meals that are boxed or canned foods that store on a shelf -- you could ship him a box of the dry/canned goods every 3 weeks or so:

- cans of hearty soup, stew

- canned beans, chili

- microwavable boxed pasta meals (ex: Dinty Moore, Barilla, Spam, Hormel...)

- ramen or cup of soup / cup of noodles -- grate some fresh veggies from the campus store into it, or add some canned tuna or chicken for added protein

- Asian noodle or rice bowls -- also can add to these

If the campus store has bread goods:

- bagels and cream cheese

- bread (or crackers), lunch meats and cheese for sandwiches (or lunchmeat/cheese "roll ups" if there is no bread)

Some great recipes and tips here:

200 Healthy Dorm Room Recipes

2 dozen dorm room meal and snack ideas plus shopping list

dorm cooking tips (27 ways to eat like an adult in college)

Probably the easiest thing would be to buy him some boxes of "better" granola bars like Power Bars at Costco or Sams to send with him. My dd also likes individually wrapped Tillamook cheddar cheeses. Leftover pizza is always good. Apples keep well in the fridge. These are good for quick breakfasts before early classes. When he has time, he can get up early and go to the cafeteria for a big breakfast. It's hard to cook in the dorms.

Does his dorm have a kitchen? Mine did, back in the Stone Age. ;) If his doesn't, there may be a nearby dorm with one that would let him have access.

If so, he could make muffins once a week and have them around for breakfast with fruit. He could get some nut butters (almond, cashew, sunbutter) and spread those. He could boil eggs--a half-dozen at a time.

Bagels and cream cheese, or cheddar cheese, or those Laughing Cow cheeses in the little triangles spread well. Or just cheese and fruit.

He will probably have to go to the grocery store. Taking a bus is done by millions world wide. He could handle it once a week. His friends would go with him, no doubt. He just may have to think beyond his campus world and be a little independent. Most colleges have a store within a mile or two.

If it's easier for him to have a homemade lunch, then eat breakfast in the cafeteria, and lunch stuff could be stored in his refrig--sandwiches and fruit are easy and don't require cooking, and canned soups and pasta are easy to nuke, as are Lean-Cuisine type meals for variety (the pizza is pretty good--portions are small, but round out with cheese, bread and fruit).

Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ The highest meal plan only has 14 meals a week.  This is a kid who eats 3 full meals a day plus snacks.  He doesn't eat much in convenience foods - he cooks his own breakfast every day (even if it is at 11 am.)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ They have a microwave on his floor, but that is about it.  He can have a 4 cu/ft refrigerator. Not a ton of storage space (as is true with most dorm rooms.

Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ Due to his mental health issues, I feel nutrition is a high priority for him as part of a "stay healthy" plan.

After re-reading, due to one microwave for the FLOOR (not in his room), lack of storage space, and the need for healthy foods/regular meals for mental health and physical issues -- I think you might be best off to just give DS a re-loadable debit card with enough on it to purchase the additional meals to fill out his 14-meals a week plan at the cafeteria, and send him with a box of healthy snacks he likes and is used to -- nuts, dried fruit, protein bars, etc. and he can fill in with fresh fruits and vegetables from the campus store.

My biggest concern is picturing 20 guys trying to juggle all wanting to use the one microwave all at the same peak-use times every day -- in the morning (for breakfast or for hot drink) and then again at night (for dinner or late-night snacks). Trying to cook with one microwave for many does not seem very realistic...

What does he normally have for breakfast at home?

Can he bring home "leftovers" from dining hall to reheat for breakfast. While this wasn't technically allowed when I was in college, I knew a lot of people that would bring a plastic food container to fill up in the dining hall and then reheat later in the dorms. And I almost always brought some fruit back with me.

I've never been a morning person and even today I eat breakfast on the way to work. Usually a protein bar (eg. Luna or Cliff bars) and some fruit.

If a nutritious breakfast is important, why can't he have breakfast as one of the meals on his plan?

Can they purchase additional meals at the dining hall? having no way to prepare food and it being in the morning, dining hall would seem like the best option to me - it's far easier to improvise a lunch.

Forgot to mention--we own a little electric burner that plugs into a wall.  It's probably not technically allowed in the dorms, but maybe he could get away with having one.  Then he could cook eggs--all the ingredients for fried eggs or scrambled eggs can be kept at room temp.  Also, I would get him a very small microwave for his dorm room.  Those are VERY common whereever we went on college visits and are almost a requirement.  He should not be depending on the one down the hall--that is not normal or necessary.

"  I don't want to do instant oatmeal because it is just too sugary and not high enough in protein. "

just fyi - We have several brands here in Canada of instant oatmeal which are plain & have no added sugar.  Here they're usually in the health food/organic sections. Add flax & nuts for boost of nutrition.

Dinner leftovers for breakfast are also a good solution.
Sandwiches (can be made the night before).
Toast w/ various nut butters

Thanks for all your replies so far!  Definitely helping us think more outside the box. 

What about learning to like "dinner for breakfast"? Microwavable meals that are boxed or canned foods that store on a shelf -- you could ship him a box of the dry/canned goods every 3 weeks or so:

- cans of hearty soup, stew

- canned beans, chili

- microwavable boxed pasta meals (ex: Dinty Moore, Barilla, Spam, Hormel...)

- ramen or cup of soup / cup of noodles -- grate some fresh veggies from the campus store into it, or add some canned tuna or chicken for added protein

- Asian noodle or rice bowls -- also can add to these

If the campus store has bread goods:

- bagels and cream cheese

- bread (or crackers), lunch meats and cheese for sandwiches (or lunchmeat/cheese "roll ups" if there is no bread)

Some great recipes and tips here:

200 Healthy Dorm Room Recipes

2 dozen dorm room meal and snack ideas plus shopping list

dorm cooking tips (27 ways to eat like an adult in college)

These web sites look promising.  He is my picky eater, but picky in a usually healthy way.  He usually prefers breakfast foods for breakfast (except for cold pizza:).)  I'll send these links to him. 

Probably the easiest thing would be to buy him some boxes of "better" granola bars like Power Bars at Costco or Sams to send with him. My dd also likes individually wrapped Tillamook cheddar cheeses. Leftover pizza is always good. Apples keep well in the fridge. These are good for quick breakfasts before early classes. When he has time, he can get up early and go to the cafeteria for a big breakfast. It's hard to cook in the dorms.

I was hoping to save the Clif bars and the like for snacks.  (I have stocked up from Costco for this reason.) This kid eats like 6 times a day and is rather thin (5'9" and a 29 in waist.) 

Does his dorm have a kitchen? Mine did, back in the Stone Age. ;) If his doesn't, there may be a nearby dorm with one that would let him have access.

If so, he could make muffins once a week and have them around for breakfast with fruit. He could get some nut butters (almond, cashew, sunbutter) and spread those. He could boil eggs--a half-dozen at a time.

Bagels and cream cheese, or cheddar cheese, or those Laughing Cow cheeses in the little triangles spread well. Or just cheese and fruit.

He will probably have to go to the grocery store. Taking a bus is done by millions world wide. He could handle it once a week. His friends would go with him, no doubt. He just may have to think beyond his campus world and be a little independent. Most colleges have a store within a mile or two.

If it's easier for him to have a homemade lunch, then eat breakfast in the cafeteria, and lunch stuff could be stored in his refrig--sandwiches and fruit are easy and don't require cooking, and canned soups and pasta are easy to nuke, as are Lean-Cuisine type meals for variety (the pizza is pretty good--portions are small, but round out with cheese, bread and fruit).

Kitchen facilities are limited. I think they have one kitchen for the entire dorm.

He would certainly be open to taking a bus ... if there was one that was reliable.  This is a small LAC in a small city in northern Wisconsin, not a large metropolis.  One of the biggest complaints on campus is the lack of public transportation.  The campus itself is walkable.  They require a meal plan all four years for the "community feel" so there isn't a strong need to open a grocery store close to campus. 

After re-reading, due to one microwave for the FLOOR (not in his room), lack of storage space, and the need for healthy foods/regular meals for mental health and physical issues -- I think you might be best off to just give DS a re-loadable debit card with enough on it to purchase the additional meals to fill out his 14-meals a week plan at the cafeteria, and send him with a box of healthy snacks he likes and is used to -- nuts, dried fruit, protein bars, etc. and he can fill in with fresh fruits and vegetables from the campus store.

My biggest concern is picturing 20 guys trying to juggle all wanting to use the one microwave all at the same peak-use times every day -- in the morning (for breakfast or for hot drink) and then again at night (for dinner or late-night snacks). Trying to cook with one microwave for many does not seem very realistic...

Well, I am not sure how many students eat breakfast and how many will need it at that early hour.  But we do plan to load up his campus card for meal options.  This will be good for shopping the small campus store and some extra meals.

What does he normally have for breakfast at home?

Can he bring home "leftovers" from dining hall to reheat for breakfast. While this wasn't technically allowed when I was in college, I knew a lot of people that would bring a plastic food container to fill up in the dining hall and then reheat later in the dorms. And I almost always brought some fruit back with me.

I've never been a morning person and even today I eat breakfast on the way to work. Usually a protein bar (eg. Luna or Cliff bars) and some fruit.

He makes himself omelets, scrambled-egg burritos, french toast.  When he is in a bigger hurry, he has peanut butter on toast or microwaveable sausage-like patties.  We get a big box of Morningstar Farms ones at Costco.  They are very strict about taking food out of the cafeteria.  They may be allowed to take a piece of fruit out, though. 

Is there some way for him to hardboil eggs? if he can make hardboiled eggs during the day sometime, he could pop them in the fridge and have them for breakfast for the protein part.

I've been trying to get him to eat hardboiled eggs for ages, but he can't stand them:). 

If a nutritious breakfast is important, why can't he have breakfast as one of the meals on his plan?

Can they purchase additional meals at the dining hall? having no way to prepare food and it being in the morning, dining hall would seem like the best option to me - it's far easier to improvise a lunch.

Well, this is an option.  But, he doesn't eat as much for breakfast as he does for other meals, so he was hoping to save his meal swipes for later meals to get his money's worth:).  He is stuck with an 8:30 am class but, he is definitely not a morning person.  Even as a child, he had trouble falling asleep before 11 (and believe me, I tried a ton of things to help reset his internal clock - dh and I like to go to bed earlier.)  He is taking melatonin to work on getting to sleep earlier.   Just trying to help him streamline his morning.  Keeping his options open, though.

Forgot to mention--we own a little electric burner that plugs into a wall.  It's probably not technically allowed in the dorms, but maybe he could get away with having one.  Then he could cook eggs--all the ingredients for fried eggs or scrambled eggs can be kept at room temp.  Also, I would get him a very small microwave for his dorm room.  Those are VERY common whereever we went on college visits and are almost a requirement.  He should not be depending on the one down the hall--that is not normal or necessary.

They are very strict about what kind of electric devices are allowed in the dorm rooms, based upon what I'm seeing on the FB page for parents of students here.  Hot plates and burners are definite no-nos.  Microwaves are not allowed either.  When we get there, we will investigate what other cooking options he has.  If they even have a toaster, that could help his morning.  Who knows.  On weekends, he may be the omelet king of the dorm (if he can get a hold of some eggs.)

Kitchen facilities are limited. I think they have one kitchen for the entire dorm.

He would certainly be open to taking a bus ... if there was one that was reliable.  This is a small LAC in a small city in northern Wisconsin, not a large metropolis.  One of the biggest complaints on campus is the lack of public transportation.  The campus itself is walkable.  They require a meal plan all four years for the "community feel" so there isn't a strong need to open a grocery store close to campus. 

I don't understand how they can have inadequate cooking facilities in the dorms, not allow microwaves in rooms, no stores near campus, require a meal plan all four years, and have 14 meals a week as the highest available meal plan. It makes no sense! It's like they actively expect everyone to only eat two meals a day! 

I don't understand how they can have inadequate cooking facilities in the dorms, not allow microwaves in rooms, no stores near campus, require a meal plan all four years, and have 14 meals a week as the highest available meal plan. It makes no sense! It's like they actively expect everyone to only eat two meals a day! 

Yeah, that has me scratching my head.  I do believe that upper classmen can live in group houses that have full kitchens, but they still have to have a minimal meal plan (from what I understand.)  I guess they expect people to just buy lots of snacks and supplemental meals at their non-cafeteria dining options.  While their food is good, this is going to be more expensive than I thought. 

Here's plain instant oatmeal.

http://www.amazon.com/Quaker-Instant-Oatmeal-Original-12-Count/dp/B001M09BQQ.

He won't even need the microwave if he has an electric kettle.  Some colleges allow

them and others don't.  Usually a requirement is an automatic shutoff so it doesn't

boil dry.

Other than that, if he likes muffins, he can buy six or so and put them in the fridge.

Boiled eggs is a great suggestion.  I can imagine there's a way to do that with an

electric kettle too. 

To increase the protein of the oatmeal, he can add nuts - almonds, walnuts, pecans,

cashews, etc..

I agree that eating in the dining hall might be easier for breakfast, but while lunches

are easier to make, there's not always enough time to get back to the dorm to cook

and it really depends on the size of the campus.  I also wonder how many will be

eating some yogurt in the dining hall for breakfast.

It would help to know what else he cooks for breakfast at home and maybe someone

will have an easy to do alternative.

They are very strict about what kind of electric devices are allowed in the dorm rooms, based upon what I'm seeing on the FB page for parents of students here.  Hot plates and burners are definite no-nos.  Microwaves are not allowed either. 

Probably also off limits if microwaves and hot plates are not allowed, BUT you might be able to go with an electric kettle, or a hot pot or immersion heater if they are not on the "no-no" list -- that would allow for some oatmeal or heating up via hot water right there in the room for speedy breakfasts...

Usually irons are allowed if they have an automatic shut-off feature, and you can use an iron to make grilled cheese sandwiches or tortilla quesadillas. This article had some more ideas for using a hotel iron to cook with, but beyond ironing a sandwich or quesadilla, these look messy and potential hazardous to meĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ although, certainly adventurous! ;)

And more recipes for dorm cooking, from All Recipes website.

You might see if an induction cooktop is allowed. They're much safer and more useful than a hot plate, and you can get a reasonable one for under $100. They don't really get hot (the cooking surface gets hot because of the heat of the pan, not because it generates heat), and most have extensive safety features built in. However, if they don't allow microwaves, I don't imagine they'd allow those, either.

Anyways, more ideas...

I would do things like hard boiled eggs, high quality lunch meats, cheese, fruits and raw veggies, nuts/nut butters (you can alternate types so he doesn't overdose on any one), sandwiches including any or all of the previous, leftovers that are palatable cold, and things like that. It might be a time to have a talk about needs vs. preferences - if there's no good option for getting the kind of food he wants, getting used to something else might be necessary.

If he can't stomach that first thing in the morning, maybe something light first thing, and then bring along a more substantial snack for later.

Eat at the cafeteria in the morning, and be on his own for one of the other meals. It may end up being that the cafeteria isn't particularly convenient for lunch, or he often ends up eating dinner somewhere else anyways. And if he likes traditional breakfast foods, it seems like one of the other meals would be easier to wing.

If he can eat a large, lower-carb breakfast, he may find that substantial snacks are adequate to get through until dinner.

Are there microwaves elsewhere on campus that might not be heavily used first thing in the morning? At the college I went to, there were several in the Student Union, as well as in some of the classroom buildings.

If he can have a personal blender in his room, a high-quality meal replacement shake might be an option, especially if there's added fruit, whole milk, nut butter, or something added to get the calories up.

You guys are so great with the suggestions about how to eat real food.  I had asked on the college parents fb page and the responses were so less helpful - lots of junky "pretend food" suggestions and a few people incredulous that a teenager would actually eat breakfast.  I wonder what their football team eats. 

It might be that after having to work harder for his hot breakfasts, he may find a new love for cereal! I find it silly to not allow microwaves in a dorm. My kids are allowed to use one. Why exactly can't college aged students safely use one?

It might be an issue of older dorms and wiring not supporting the demands of a micro in every room. Or it might interfere with wireless.

It might be that after having to work harder for his hot breakfasts, he may find a new love for cereal! I find it silly to not allow microwaves in a dorm. My kids are allowed to use one. Why exactly can't college aged students safely use one?

It is not that the students can't safely use a microwave, but they can't have one in their dorm room.  I am sure it is because many of the buildings are older and they would rather that electrical load go toward plethora of electronics students bring to school.

This all sounds so complicated. I would give him extra money and let him figure it out. He's in college now, and apparently not the only one in this situation. I would not be surprised if the kids get together and make grocery runs, or whatever they need to do. As far as being a night/morning person, this is something that he can and will have to deal with himself.

ETA: In my dorm the kids who did not go home at Thanksgiving prepared a full-course turkey dinner in an electric popcorn popper. Where there is a will, there is a way!

It is not that the students can't safely use a microwave, but they can't have one in their dorm room.  I am sure it is because many of the buildings are older and they would rather that electrical load go toward plethora of electronics students bring to school.

ahh gotcha! Will your son have a part-time job while in college? I know many have jobs near campus or on campus and end up buying several meals a month out as well.

This all sounds so complicated. I would give him extra money and let him figure it out. He's in college now, and apparently not the only one in this situation. I would not be surprised if the kids get together and make grocery runs, or whatever they need to do. As far as being a night/morning person, this is something that he can and will have to deal with himself.

ETA: In my dorm the kids who did not go home at Thanksgiving prepared a full-course turkey dinner in an electric popcorn popper. Where there is a will, there is a way!

Normally, I would run with this advice, but if your young adult struggles with depression, anxiety, or any other mental illness, keeping them fed well is a number one priority along with sleep.  Those are two areas that can be difficult to work on as a college student.

Ethel - just what exactly does the  handbook for parents' facebook page say about cooking implements. What about an electric skillet?  You don't know about toasters, right? Toaster ovens are probably a no-go.

A blender where your son can mix up a protein/fruit smoothie was a good idea. Clean-up could be a bit of a pain. There are now many healthier  protein powders on the market that at the very least he could mix up one of those in a disposable cup and grab a piece of fruit on his way out of the door.

:grouphug:  I wondered how your son was doing. May he have a year of both growth and healing.

I haven't read all the responses so apologies if this has been suggested, but I think I would stock the fridge with Greek yogurt, cheese sticks, fruit, and sandwich fixings, if those are foods he likes. Costco (if available) also has individual hummus cups that I like for breakfast, and I think I may have also seen hard boiled eggs ready to eat there. I assume his meal plan will give him access to hot foods for lunch and dinner, so I don't see a need for a hot breakfast--just something to get him up and going, with protein for staying power. A ham-and-cheese sandwich and apple sounds like a decent breakfast to me.

Or, the don't think that many will want to eat on campus on the weekends.  

Do you know how much it will cost for him to eat an extra meal beyond the 14 in the cafeteria?

Do they have a cafe or other eateries on campus at which students can pay to eat?  They may have some hot breakfast sandwiches or other things he'd enjoy for breakfast.  If you can load up his card and tell him to let you know if he needs more on the card, so he doesn't cut back to save money, he might do better with that for the first semester anyway.  Unless he finds something easy to buy, prepare, eat and clean up after, the extra expense might be well worth it.  Then he'll be able to eat lunch and dinner in the dining hall and not have to worry about anything other than some snacks.  I'm really surprised the college doesn't offer a more complete dining option.   Does the 14 meal plan come with dollars to use at the eateries on campus?  

I don't think there will be a run on the dorm kitchen. It only takes a couple of minutes to microwave something. That and a water kettle and he's good to go. Have him check out the ideas people have listed and make a menu plan for a week. He can change it as he goes but at least he will be ready to start school in a healthy way. Or just have him buy an extra meal a day. Breakfast might be the cheapest. Good luck. I hope all goes well! (0f course to eat breakfast before and early class one has to get up earlier than the class. :D   )

What about protein shakes? Can he take a blender?

Ds's favorite is peanut butter and banana, but there are lots of choices. Ds uses soy milk and a scoop of protein powder with that. He plans to make them in the college dorm room and I'm sure those who live near him will not love the noise, but it does give a good protein boost to the morning.

Normally, I would run with this advice, but if your young adult struggles with depression, anxiety, or any other mental illness, keeping them fed well is a number one priority along with sleep.  Those are two areas that can be difficult to work on as a college student.

Yes, this is exactly the issue.  We are working on healthy habits because not doing so could have dangerous ramifications. 

Ethel - just what exactly does the  handbook for parents' facebook page say about cooking implements. What about an electric skillet?  You don't know about toasters, right? Toaster ovens are probably a no-go.

Basically, anything that could be a fire hazard is out.  I think the Keurig coffee makers and electric tea kettles with auto shut-off are OK.  Pretty much everything else is not allowed.  Thinking of picking up a tea kettle. 

A blender where your son can mix up a protein/fruit smoothie was a good idea. Clean-up could be a bit of a pain. There are now many healthier  protein powders on the market that at the very least he could mix up one of those in a disposable cup and grab a piece of fruit on his way out of the door.

Hmm.  Maybe we will try some of the protein powders.  He has not shown an interest in them in the past.  His older brother took the spare blender and he is eying my Blendtec (off limits!  It's mine!!)  Man, this is getting expensive.  When will my card get a rest?!?!

:grouphug:  I wondered how your son was doing. May he have a year of both growth and healing.

He is stable and is very happy to be leaving for school.  We have a therapist lined up for him up there, but he can't get in for 3 weeks.  We hope he will just be too busy trying new things anyway.  They do have a wellness center where he can pop in if he is feeling down.  We can't seem to get a psychiatrist up there to monitor meds if necessary.  They all want a referral from a PCP (our PCP is not in on this so we have to get one from his Psych here) and that is just to get on the waiting list.  Don't know if this is a Wisconsin thing, but we didn't have to do that here.  Once place that was recommended by the dean in charge of student health and wellness was incredibly rude to me over the phone. 

Or, the don't think that many will want to eat on campus on the weekends.  

Do you know how much it will cost for him to eat an extra meal beyond the 14 in the cafeteria?

I have no idea how much the other meals are.  I am pretty sure that the Conservatory students don't eat as much in the cafeteria because of their practice schedules, but the BA students would be.  The food service at this school is supposed to be in the top 10 in the country. 

Is this  a commuter type of campus, where people head home after the last class Friday and return late Sunday evening (that's 14 meals) ?  Maybe he would be better off eating those 14, then cooking/sandwiching/going out on weekends?

When he meets the RA, he can ask what people typically do.

Nope.  Nearly 100% residential.  I didn't see many eateries within walking distance at our last visit, neither did my husband. 

A couple of my kids have a Magic Bullet Blender.  If your son has access to a fridge, it is super easy to use and really easy to clean.  You can throw in a banana and greens and carrots and juice or just water for the liquid.  We'll often add a little coconut milk.  You can throw in almost anything at all and it almost always tastes good.  :)  

My son, minimalist kid, had an electric kettle for tea/cocoa/instant noodles in his dorm room.  While in the UK, he learned that British students are fueled by the "toastie", essentially jazzed up grilled cheese sandwiches made in a press.  Assuming access to a fridge and the ability to prep some veg on the weekend, this might be an idea:

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/article/creative-toastie-recipes.html

His sandwich toaster was appreciated by others in the suite.

.  He doesn't eat much in convenience foods - he cooks his own breakfast every day (even if it is at 11 am.)  Not much for cereal.  Hates yogurt (can't even stand the smell of it and will leave the room if someone is eating it.) 

<snip>

Due to his mental health issues, I feel nutrition is a high priority for him as part of a "stay healthy" plan. 

What does he make himself at home? Is it possible he has self-corrected Gluten/Dairy/Food additive sensitivities that are contributing to his mental health issues?

Sorry,i just realized the following was written after your son went to college. I' ll leave the post anyway in case you are still in need of ideas.

The ideas I had for my son in the dorm room were pretty much listed above. We did also send tortillas ( could be whole grain corn or wheat) refried beans( some come in packets instead of can if shipping is needed). He goes to the store and replenishes. Also he has tomatoes, and greens on the big breakfast burrito. Wraps or tortilla with salsa, canned meat or beans and cheese from the fridge might be good.

He makes oatmeal(old fashioned kind) in a corningware large bowl in a microwave (cook for 4 minutes), then he ruins the health benefits by adding lots of sugar and raisins. Some of my kids like to add nuts or peanut butter in their oatmeal. Most of my kids like lunch things for breakfast: chili beans, pastas,sandwiches,and fruit. I don't have the link it may have been the $5.00 mom meals that pre made oatmeal servings with dried fruit and placed in baggies that only to be placed on a microwave bowl and water added to cook. Somehow I doubt there will be a line at the microwave in the morning. I think most of them roll out of bed and on to class.

How about homemade instant oatmeal packets? We have made these for a Bible Bowl Nationals trip where we had to feed 30+ kids out of a hotel room and crockpots we bought along. We wanted everyone to have a healthy nutritious breakfast without a lot of sugar. These worked well.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Oatmeal_Packets

The other thing we did was make meals with crockpots. You could get a smaller crockpot (nobody yell at me because I advocated their use) and make smaller portions. Leftovers could be put in the frig to use for other days and then microwaved.

http://mothers-home.com/18-slow-cooker-breakfast-recipes/

A couple of my kids have a Magic Bullet Blender.  If your son has access to a fridge, it is super easy to use and really easy to clean.  You can throw in a banana and greens and carrots and juice or just water for the liquid.  We'll often add a little coconut milk.  You can throw in almost anything at all and it almost always tastes good.  :)  

We have the Hamilton Beach version of this. It costs about $20. I wouldn't try to blend frozen stuff regularly in it, but it works just fine for blending up protein powder shakes, non-frozen fruit, and so forth.