Menu

James Garner has died...

bettyandbob

I loved him, he reminded me so much of my Dad.

Same.  I have fond memories of my parents settling down to watch "The Rockford Files".  I think my dad very much related to Garner.  They were of the same generation, both served in Korea.  His passing brings a lump to my throat given my own parents' aging...

We watched the Rockford Files when I was young and we're watching them now courtesy of MeTV (via Dish Network, but it may also be on others).  I have several taped to watch when we have time.  We just introduced the show to my youngest two while they were home over the summer (both like it) as I didn't see repeats on before this past year.

It's sad to put the timing with his death, and yes, it sure does make me feel old when all of these actors/actresses from my youth keep passing on.  But then again, sending my youngest off to college makes me feel old too as do some other issues.  I think the whole world is ganging up on me to make me realize Peter Pan is mythical...

Seize the day!  One never knows what tomorrow brings.  We shall have to watch one of the taped Rockford Files later today...

So sad!  I just read a bio about him.  He sounds like he was a really good guy in real life.  He met the love of his life at some event, got married two weeks later, and they had a long, lovely marriage.  He also didn't get into all of the Hollywood hupla.

Every time I read about the lose of one of the actors from my youngers days, it brings on such a sad nostalgia for the way thing used to be. Sitting on the sofa between my Nana and PopPop (Rockford Files seemed to always be on on 'sleep-over' nights), staying up later than usual to watch. Feeling all warm and cozy. Now they're all gone. New memories, yes. But, something about those old days seemed so warm.

I don't know if I've seen Rockford Files. Last year, I saw Move Over Darling. His character is married to Doris Day, but she is presumed dead, and he remarries. He is about to leave on his honeymoon with a new wife when she comes home after being stranded on an island. It's very funny. It was a remake of another movie when it was made, though I haven't seen the original (My Favorite Wife).

I grew up staying up late watching Rockford reruns with my dad. I also watched The Great Escape about a dozen times or more. 

One of my top 10 favorite movies.  DH doesn't like it but it will just be me and the kids this weekend so I think we'll watch it.  Counts as history, right?