Menu

Airsoft toy guns--harmless fun or weapons more suited to adults?

Harriet Vane

Several of the boys in the neighborhood enjoy playing with airsoft guns. They are toy guns with tiny plastic pellets.

The boys typically gather in the creek area behind their houses to kamikaze around. The creek area is large and mostly open, with a narrow strip of trees and brush immediately by the creek, which is just a tiny trickle. When ds joins them to play, he wears protective eyewear and borrows a gun from another boy.

The guns look like toys to me (black plastic with a bright orange tip), and ds has never been bruised or hurt using them. The airsoft guns seem more benign than paintballing to me--when dh or ds go paintballing, they always come home with some real bruises.

It seemed harmless enough, but when I took ds to a sporting goods store today to buy his own airsoft gun, the clerk would not allow it because he is only 13yo (less than 18yo). I cannot find any laws that impose an age limit on airsoft ownership or usage, but the store policy to sell to only 18yo customers threw me for a loop.

Is it legal to for minors to use airsoft guns in Ohio?

Is it safe for minors (13yo) to play with airsoft guns? (Assume they are wearing protective eye covering.)

Wow, I've never heard of an age limit on air soft guns. I wouldn't hand one to my 7yo, but I would consider one for my 10yo. So long as eye protection is worn, I'm not sure what harm they could do. Finding the little pellets rolling around the house is really annoying, but that's about the worst of it. I grew up in a house with 5 boys and have 2 of my own. I've been around a lot of different toy guns. I HATE paintballing. The bruises and welts are brutal, but I have no problem with air soft guns.

My two oldest boys have them. (8&10). They only play with adult supervision and with protective eye gear. I am not aware of kids not being able to use them but check your city rules. I believe I read Chicago has strict rules yet the suburb we live in does not.

I know the rules vary from state to state, but I believe airsoft guns are classified as firearms in NJ and it is illegal to openly carry them, so it's definitely worth checking on the laws in your state to see if they are similar, or if there are any restrictions on where and by whom they can be used.

I would think you'd have to be over 18 to buy them, even if they were intended for use by a younger kid, but I'm just guessing.

Some towns don't allow firing them at all, but it looks like it is generally legal (including for minors) in Ohio. Many stores (of different varieties) are stricter about sales involving minors than the laws are. The only thing I found quoting actual laws is this (oldish): http://www.airsoftohio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21414 I'd let a 13 year old play with one, but I'd want someone supervising to be sure any other players were taking reasonable safety precautions. Many of the safety concerns seem to be about the possibility of third parties mistaking the airsoft toys for actual firearms.

When my boys (13 and 20) first asked for airsoft, I bought a full face mask for my younger son but my older son just wanted eye wear. The first time he got hit with a pellet it caught him on the cheek. He asked if I would mind getting him a full mask too.

My kids must be wimps because they only play when it's cold enough to wear full winter gear complete with layers. They say otherwise it stings too much.

They  are fine. Stores can set their own policies. Regulations will vary by state. Eye protection is definitely a must. Even with real weapons where it is illegal for minors to purchase or own them, they are still allowed to use them (even unsupervised). 

We got one for 12yo ds for his birthday along with a sticky target and cleaning kit, only to be used with the following rules:

It is not to be shot at animals (including people).

He must use biodegradable bbs.  I don't like the idea of littering the environment with a ton of plastic (or even metal). 

He can only use it with friend(s) under supervision until we can be sure he and friend(s) are responsible.

When we were shopping for it, I was disappointed that I couldn't find one that looked more like the Daisy Red Ryder instead of an assault rifle of some sort.  They look very military-style to me.  We would have gotten the Daisy, but there are no biodegradable pellets for it and that is a top priority for me.

My guys like getting their airsoft guns in the US because you guys have bigger, more powerful ones available.  One was even bought in Ohio.  LOL.  Like the other said, eye protection is a must.

I find the safety depends on the kids playing.  Some are very competitive and will shoot at close range with not regard for people's faces.  The rules around here are no close shots, shooting downed players and anyone firing intentionally at the face or neck area is in real trouble.  Now my guys don't have that killer instinct so I don't worry about them.  Some of our guests have had it and the guns go away then.

My olders are very responsible with their long guns. And of course, the only time they've held a handgun was in the States.  So glad they're not here.

My older boys have them. They get together with friends to shoot.  We live in a a rural area.The firepower varies from gun to gun. Some can hurt, but it just stings badly and may leave an indentation. They wear eye protection and we have a rule of no aiming at heads, but they can still get hit in the head from time to time. My oldest boy got a broken tooth from a bb hitting him in the mouth. The pellets are a nuisance. I personally don't like them, but I haven't banned it. They can look too much like real weapons. Thankfully, they haven't had any "war games" in a while. It seems they are outgrowing it.

It seemed harmless enough, but when I took ds to a sporting goods store today to buy his own airsoft gun, the clerk would not allow it because he is only 13yo (less than 18yo). I cannot find any laws that impose an age limit on airsoft ownership or usage, but the store policy to sell to only 18yo customers threw me for a loop.

Was he alone when he went in the store?  Or were you with him and they wouldn't sell it to you

because they knew it was for him?

I don't know any laws, but I think it's harmless if all the kids are good kids and everyone

wears head protection, neck protection, and eye protection.  So I would suggest they always

wear a jacket that has a high

collar, jeans, baseball cap, and goggles.  (Although I know a guy who will just play in t-shirt and shorts--if his mom lets him, I guess it's OK.)

So are they different than a bb gun? What is the difference?

I thought they shot something soft! lol

My boys had bb guns, but they were not allowed to shoot at each other or at animals.

For some reason, paintball seems more like a game than shooting something hard at each other--paintballs ARE hard, but they are also..well, PAINT.

IDK--it seems sort of weird to me (totally wrong word, but I can't think of one) to play guns with "real" ammo. IYKWIM. I remember guys playing war--but they just made the sound and pretended to shoot each other. And die.

I'm not anti-gun, fwiw.

My boys have them and we do not consider them toys.  We insist on the same gun safety rules that we use with any guns.  We also buy the degradable in rain pellets so they do not leave a mess.   

I detest the kids having airsoft wars where they shoot each other.   The kids around here sometimes do it, but I am the parent that won't allow mine to join in.   They can shoot each other in nerf wars and have mighty battles all of the time but airsoft guns have different levels of power and are dangerous in my opinion.   They can break a window or blind someone quite easily, although most of the kids do wear safety glasses when they do it.

My boys have a large group they do airsoft with.  They typically set the ages as 12 and above and make an exception for my 10 year old because he is just an exceptional kid maturity wise.

There are strict rules and if you don't follow, you don't play.

Always wear protective eye gear

No aiming/shooting above the chest area

No shooting once someone is out

No foul language

If you are shot you must leave, no cheating

I think there are a few more, but those are the ones I remember.

Airsoft pellets used in play battles are typically plastic, not steel like bb's. There are metal pellets but these are not used for play battles--at least not by anyone I know.

I remember when Buck first started running with a crowd who had airsoft guns.  He was 11 and decided this was stupid.  "Those things HURT, Mom!!"  lol  

But as he got older, he decided it was worth the hurt, however, much like Tammi's kids, he doesn't play in the summer because he can't get enough protective cover on.  ;)

We got my oldest son an airsoft gun a couple years ago.  He actually prefers Nerf and wasn't at all sad when his airsoft gun broke.  Those bbs can sting.  It never even occurred to me that they can be considered an actual firearm.

We got one for 12yo ds for his birthday along with a sticky target and cleaning kit, only to be used with the following rules:

It is not to be shot at animals (including people).

He must use biodegradable bbs.  I don't like the idea of littering the environment with a ton of plastic (or even metal). 

He can only use it with friend(s) under supervision until we can be sure he and friend(s) are responsible.

When we were shopping for it, I was disappointed that I couldn't find one that looked more like the Daisy Red Ryder instead of an assault rifle of some sort.  They look very military-style to me.  We would have gotten the Daisy, but there are no biodegradable pellets for it and that is a top priority for me.

Just an FYI ~~ those 'biodegradable' pellets aren't. At least not as fast as the 'degrades in one year' ones ds spent a fortune on. It has been five years since he last shot pellets, and those horrid things are still all in the mulch beds and the driveway & sidewalk cracks. :glare:

My husband has airsoft guns and targets. My children do not. All of the kids can and do use the guns, but only with their dad. He teaches them good safety practices with them. We treat them like a real gun. We stress to the kids that they are nonlethal weapons. They are not toys. A real gun should be treated the same way, but if you shoot a real gun, someone will die. 

For us, guns are tools. There may be a time when you need to use one. There may not. Airsoft guns are training tools, exactly like a 4 ounce hammer I gave them. Some day they will probably need to use a hammer. I would like them to know how to use one safely.

Funny to see this posted, my ds15 and I were having this discussion (aka argument) today.  He very much wants them, I have been refusing.  In his opinion they are just toys, in mine his is a mentally unstable boy trained to shoot (he was on the cadet shooting team this year), access to any sort of weapon including airsoft is not permitted until I see a change in his mental health status.  He thinks I am being unreasonable (of course he also thinks I am unreasonable that I won't let dd14 get a replica katana to hang on her wall for the same reason).  If his mental health stabilizes and we have a fenced yard then I will allow it within certain parameters, number 1 being it can only be shot at targets within our fenced yard etc.

To quote Tim Hawkins  "there is nothing airish  or soft about it"   :lol:

My kids have several different airsoft guns.  They cannot purchase any of the guns or ammo but I can buy it for them.  

They do have "battles" with others but everyone must be in agreement and eye protection.  They just got the full face masks and that makes me feel better.

DH is an ophthalmologist and treated a kid (12-13) with a ruptured globe (eye) because of one.  He was a bystander, not one of the kids playing with the guns.  Just the wrong place, wrong time type scenario.

I don't think they're safe at all….and I have questions about the ability of kids to use them safely and have the right precautions in place to avoid hitting somebody.

There are some neighborhood boys (8-10) who have them… do not wear eye protection….and do not look out for other kids.  It worries me a lot.

Different guns have different power. We have one that is not to be used for shooting each other. The others are fun for getting together and having a battle. It does not hurt like paintball. My son's first one would not even pop a balloon when he shot it.

Just to be clear "air" refers to the compressed CO2 cartridge that replaces the gunpowder in a regular gun. "Soft" is a relative descriptor, in this case compared to stainless steel. So, yes , softER but no, not SOFT. 

They do vary in strength, even as the cartridge empties out. I like to shoot, and I like to play. No WAY would I want to get hit by one of those pellets. I was aghast when we shot the first one. Not what I was expecting. And that is the wimpy one!