Menu

So they play siblings in one movie, then lovers in the next?

Seasider

Finally got around to seeing Divergent last week. Just saw a trailer for The Fault in Our Stars. Now I feel a little creeped out. Am I the only one thinking this was a nutty casting call?

(Btw I am speaking of Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort.)

No, I find it somewhat odd too, you think they would have decided against it being that the movies are released so close together. I loved Divergent but I don't plan on seeing Fault in our Stars for a while due to the emotional content (my son died last year and the story is just too sad).

No, I find it somewhat odd too, you think they would have decided against it being that the movies are released so close together. I loved Divergent but I don't plan on seeing Fault in our Stars for a while due to the emotional content (my son died last year and the story is just too sad).

Oh Brittanny!  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I have not read Fault but I just saw Elgort on Jimmy Fallon's show and they played the movie trailer. 

Brittany, I am so sorry.

I just finished reading the book. It was great, but it definitely made me cry. I watched Divergent when it first came out and I plan to see The Fault in Our Stars. The characters of Caleb and Augustus are so different that I won't have a problem separating them, although it is a bit of a weird casting decision.

But, it would not be the first time that two actors were cast as siblings in one show and then later cast as dating, etc. in another.  Big Bang Theory comes to mind.  I suppose that did seem a bit weird although the shows were several years apart.

What are you referring to here? I watch BBT and I wasn't aware that any of the actors were previously cast as siblings.

That Fault in Our Stars looks like one of those ugly cry movies. 

I don't watch those.

My daughter, one of the biggest John Green fans on the globe, warned me off of reading TFIOS because she says it would be too much for me to handle, emotionally. Since we have a family rule that we don't see a film adaptation until after reading the book, that means I won't be seeing the movie, either.

Sara Gilbert and Johnny Galecki played brother and sister on Rosanne. On Big Bang Sara plays Leslie Winkle who dates Leonard in a few episodes (at different times too I believe).

They didn't play brother and sister on Rosanne. They got married to each other on Rosanne. Michael Fishman played DJ, the brother.

In Sense and Sensibility, Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant were romantically involved. I watched the commentary and she was saying that people thought she was too old to be his love interest even though he's older than her. She then ranted about how Hollywood had done this by always putting much younger women with older men.

Then a couple years later they played brother and sister in Love Actually. She very clearly calls him her older brother, and I always wondered if she put that in there because she was still upset about it (justifiably so!).

I mentioned this thread to my daughter, who tells me that John Green apparently addressed this in a recent video. It seems that the two actors get asked during almost every interview if it's weird to play siblings and then romantic partners. Their response is that it's not, because they are actors, neither siblings nor lovers. Playing the roles in which they are cast is their job. According to my daughter, John Green said it's a good thing it's the actors getting asked the question over and over, because they are much more classy and restrained than he would be.

I find it odd - borderline creepy and weird - when people in IRL date or marry people who have their siblings name.  I wouldn't be able to focus on a movie at all with something like that.

My husband is friends with two brothers whose mother's name is Jenny. They both married women by the same name. It's yucky.

My husband is friends with two brothers whose mother's name is Jenny. They both married women by the same name. It's yucky.

Really?  I can't imagine that being an issue.  My first boyfriend had the same name as my older brother.  It never occurred to me to notice it particularly - when I said the name referring to one or the other, I had a distinct image of the person I meant in my head.

L

Is someone who "died" in a movie never allowed to make another movie?  If someone was married in a movie can they never make another movie with another spouse because that would be "adultery"?  They are actors.  They are playing a part.  Whether you remember them or not, it is still the characters who are siblings and the characters who are lover, not the actors.  I did find it sort of yucky when Don Johnson dated his "daughter" from a show but not because of the part but because of her age!   

I had a boyfriend whose mom's name was the same as mine, even with the same uncommon spelling. It was not an issue. Now mil did tell me that after her divorce, she met a guy who seemed really great but had the same name as her ex, which is also my husband's name, and she just couldn't handle that.

This thread is so topical, since I'm reading the Flowers in the Attic series!

My husband and I are stepbrother and sister, but that happened after we were already married lol.

My husband and I are stepbrother and sister, but that happened after we were already married lol.

My uncle and his wife became step brother and sister too.  His widowed father married her widowed mother.  All four adults lived with the younger couple's children in a big house for a while.

L

I find it odd that the incest taboo is so incredibly strong that it makes people feel uncomfortable in these pretend situations.

I commented on that to my husband while we were watching Flowers in the Attic. We know they are actors and not related at all, but we still cringed when they kissed.

I find it odd that the incest taboo is so incredibly strong that it makes people feel uncomfortable in these pretend situations.

I used to watch the TV show OZ, and I remember Chris Meloni getting asked a lot how he felt about kissing another man on TV (which he did a lot on that show).  I don't think it's a homophobic question, I think it's more "hey, we all know you are not gay, so is it weird to pretend to be gay?"  Even though kissing someone for money / fame is what just about every adult actor ever does. Anything that nags at the audience's comfort level generate a little curiosity.

Wow, I feel like some of you came back rather stern with me on this. Incest taboo? Really? Perhaps I should have made it an UO post!

Of course I understand that actors are playing a part. But, from my perspective as a viewer, I identify characters with the actors who play them on the screen. Colin Firth as Mr Darcy, anyone?

My point was that these two films are in such proximity to one another. Divergent this spring, TFIOS this summer, and before long there will be Insurgent.

Of course these are two talented young actors who should not be type cast. But are there no other young, promising actors hoping for their big break in a much anticipated film? I know actors are often cast based on their fan base and bankability. But in such an anticipated story as TFIOS, it seems an unknown actor would be a good fit.

As you all have pointed out, I am not a film professional. I am just your average moviegoer and I found the casting less than inventive.

Shailene begged for the role in TFiOS.  She read the book well before it was super popular and loved it so much that she wrote to John Green saying if it was ever made into a movie she wanted so much to be a part of it.  She of course wanted to play Hazel, but she would settle for anything including just running the craft service.  John Green said it was like a 10,000 word letter and kind of freaked him out.  If anything it made him want to keep her far, far away, but then he saw her audition and just knew she was perfect for Hazel.  The fact that Ansel was playing her brother in Divergent didn't even enter into their thinking when he was cast as Gus.  I've seen some clips and he plays Gus perfectly.  Plus John Green totally seems to have a huge man-crush on Ansel (prompting fans to name them "Johnsel").

My joke about their casting in Divergent and TFiOS is that Hazel is now going to get it on with her brother, venn diagram style.  They are actors.  Actors play various roles.  They aren't really brother and sister.  They aren't really lovers.  I saw Divergent and I've seen several TFiOS clips and they sell both relationships very well.

There was a Google Hangout a couple days ago and one of the questions was how they handled playing brother and sister and then boyfriend and girlfriend.  There was a joke about how they've always wanted to know what it was like to kiss their sibling.  They then said seriously, they've been asked that question a thousand times and the real answer is they are actors and were acting in both movies.  No biggie to either of them.  What they really are is good friends.

Just under 12 hours until I get to see TFiOS.  We bought our tickets last week.  The 9pm showing was already sold out.  Now the 9:30 showing we're going to is sold out and the theater has added a 10pm showing.  Impressive considering there are about half a dozen movie theaters in reasonable distance (and more than a dozen throughout the city) and they are all filling up showings of TFiOS tonight... and the movie won't technically be released until tomorrow (what used to be midnight showings now can start at 9).

Of course I understand that actors are playing a part. But, from my perspective as a viewer, I identify characters with the actors who play them on the screen. Colin Firth as Mr Darcy, anyone?

Colin Firth in A Single Man?  The Queen's Speech?  Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?  Shakespeare in Love?  He's an actor, and a good one.  If anything, his romantic roles have been less memorable.

L

I don't typically associate actors with roles, especially good actors. So, my first reaction is the people referred to here are acting. However, I did have one reaction to my feelings about a particular actor in The Winter Soldier.

Don't read further if you haven't seen The Winter Soldier and plan to get it on Netflix.

When I went to The Winter Soldier I was struck hard by Robert Redford being a bad guy. I just had a real hard time with him blowing away his housekeeper, it was so jarring because in my mind Robert Redford would not blow away his nice housekeeper who never did anything wrong.

I find it odd - borderline creepy and weird - when people in IRL date or marry people who have their siblings name.  I wouldn't be able to focus on a movie at all with something like that.

I'm SO glad my husband doesn't. it's not my fault his parents have the same taste in names mine do! (Right down to spelling, first and middle names, etc)

Luckily, she has a serious boyfriend. Maybe, IF she takes his name when she gets married, we won't share three names anymore.

Just under 12 hours until I get to see TFiOS.  We bought our tickets last week.  The 9pm showing was already sold out.  Now the 9:30 showing we're going to is sold out and the theater has added a 10pm showing.  Impressive considering there are about half a dozen movie theaters in reasonable distance (and more than a dozen throughout the city) and they are all filling up showings of TFiOS tonight... and the movie won't technically be released until tomorrow (what used to be midnight showings now can start at 9).

My daughter went to the Night Before Our Stars event tonight, which included a showing of the film and a simulcast with the author, some of the cast, the director and producer and some other folks, too. She said the film was the best adaptation of a book she has seen and that the casting was really perfect. She's extremely hard to please when she loves a book. So, that's unbelievably high praise. 

So, if your husband shared your father or brother's name you wouldn't have dated or married him? You'd miss out on a whole life with him because of a name?

Wow, I feel like some of you came back rather stern with me on this. Incest taboo? Really? Perhaps I should have made it an UO post!

My point was that these two films are in such proximity to one another. Divergent this spring, TFIOS this summer, and before long there will be Insurgent.

Of course these are two talented young actors who should not be type cast. But are there no other young, promising actors hoping for their big break in a much anticipated film? I know actors are often cast based on their fan base and bankability. But in such an anticipated story as TFIOS, it seems an unknown actor would be a good fit.

As you all have pointed out, I am not a film professional. I am just your average moviegoer and I found the casting less than inventive.

OIC--I misread what you were upset about (well, not upset, but um disturbed or whatever--why you posted). So you are not saying you found it weird that they'd play brother and sister and then play lovers, but that they were cast in two lead roles one after the other? Like, someone else should've been given the chance?

Colin Firth in A Single Man?  The Queen's Speech?  Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?  Shakespeare in Love?  He's an actor, and a good one.  If anything, his romantic roles have been less memorable.

L

Colin Firth in Bridget Jones Diary too. Oh wait. That would still be Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy.  :D

I don't typically associate actors with roles, especially good actors. So, my first reaction is the people referred to here are acting. However, I did have one reaction to my feelings about a particular actor in The Winter Soldier.

Don't read further if you haven't seen The Winter Soldier and plan to get it on Netflix.

When I went to The Winter Soldier I was struck hard by Robert Redford being a bad guy. I just had a real hard time with him blowing away his housekeeper, it was so jarring because in my mind Robert Redford would not blow away his nice housekeeper who never did anything wrong.

I thought it looked like he was having a blast playing that role.

Would you feel the same if it were two males or two females?  Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch come to mind, or Robert Redford and Paul Newman back in the day.