Menu

So they play siblings in one movie, then lovers in the next?

Seasider

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman play best friends on Sherlock, but they are enemies in The Hobbit (Cumberbatch doesn't actually appear on screen with Freeman, but his dreamy voice brings Smaug to life). I think the PP is asking whether you think one or both of them shouldn't be cast in both the TV show and the movies since the nature of their relationship is so different in both series.

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman play best friends on Sherlock, but they are enemies in The Hobbit (Cumberbatch doesn't actually appear on screen with Freeman, but his dreamy voice brings Smaug to life). I think the PP is asking whether you think one or both of them shouldn't be cast in both the TV show and the movies since the nature of their relationship is so different in both series.

Well - to me - it's kinda hard to compare a hobbit and a not human dragon in a fantasy world to the BBC's contemporary pair of detectives.

As for other actors, can anyone give an example of two actors portraying main characters, emotionally related to each other, in major films released within the same six month period? I'm drawing a blank.

Amazing.  The movie was absolutely amazing.  The casting was the absolutely most perfect casting I have seen in a long, long time.  Every character was perfect.  Shailene was truly amazing and, somehow, Ansel could smile and make a horribly depressing scene not quite so bad.  They *were* Hazel and Gus up there on the big screen.  No Tris or Caleb at all.

As for other actors portraying main characters emotionally related to each other in major films released within the same six month period?  That happened all the time back in the 40s/50s.

When I went to The Winter Soldier I was struck hard by Robert Redford being a bad guy. I just had a real hard time with him blowing away his housekeeper, it was so jarring because in my mind Robert Redford would not blow away his nice housekeeper who never did anything wrong.

I bet as an actor, he was thrilled to get to be a bad guy for once. :)

S&S - 1995

L A - 2003

Your 6-month number is arbitrary. I could watch both of those movies one after the other today, and it wouldn't bother me in the least. It's not as if movie makers and actors even know during casting exactly when the movie will be released.

I find it odd - borderline creepy and weird - when people in IRL date or marry people who have their siblings name.  I wouldn't be able to focus on a movie at all with something like that.

Why?  What do you imagine is happening that makes it creepy and weird?

Your 6-month number is arbitrary. I could watch both of those movies one after the other today, and it wouldn't bother me in the least. It's not as if movie makers and actors even know during casting exactly when the movie will be released.

This is what I keep thinking. When movies are cast, there's no way of knowing for sure when they'll come out.

I suppose it is a form of the incest taboo.  You are crossing familial love with romantic love using the same title.

My SIL and I share the same first name.  We're not creepy or weird. :huh:   It just happens to be a pretty common 80s name.

I knew a couple (who'd been married many years) who were both named Terry. I think they even both spelled it that way, because I remember thinking "I'd have changed my spelling to Terri!"

I was just going to post about a Lyn/Lynn and Gene/Jean I know. If marrying someone with a sibling or parent's name is creepy this must be super creeepy. :) Or what about my friend and her sister who both married guys named Dan whose dads are named John? Oh the creepy confusion abounds! :)

I do have to admit I have trouble seeing Lauren Graham in any role other than Lorelei Gilmore, though. I laughed and cried through Gilmore Girls so many times that if I ever bump into her in person I will likely abandon my normal composure and squeal "Lorelei!" like a silly fan girl.

It would be interesting to start a spinoff thread where we could list the "defining role" that a particular actor has in our minds (if any).

I used to go to a really cool video store with every movie featuring well-known, prolific actors (Robert Redford, Julia Roberts, Tom Cruise, etc) arranged together. It was fun to watch them back to back in chronological order and see the differing or typecast roles.