Menu

s/o s/o tipping - who all gets tips?

PeacefulChaos

Ok, so I'm pretty clueless in the tip category.

I have always known you tip waiters/waitresses. 

On the bad job thread, I learned that you (can) tip hotel maids. 

I had the horrible experience, when I took the free hotel shuttle from my hotel to LAX, of forgetting to grab my wallet out of my bag so that I would be prepared with a tip for the driver.  It just didn't occur to me until I was getting out of the bus, and then I thought, 'Crap, I can't get to my wallet to leave this guy a tip!'  So I tried to grab my suitcase, at least, so that maybe I wouldn't feel AS bad about it, but he got to it first and carried it off the bus for me.  I didn't want to hold everything up so I wasn't going to start digging through my bag for my wallet, and I just started walking away.  He was royally p*ssed - he yelled, 'Thanks for your TIP!'  I felt so bad.  :(

So needless to say, tipping isn't something I'm really in the know on - like with my shuttle incident, I had a vague recollection, too late, that hmmm maybe I'm supposed to tip the shuttle driver?? 

That's kind of how it is with me and tipping.  I don't even know if I'm supposed to tip the people who make your ice cream at coldstone or your drink at starbucks.  I have no idea whether we are supposed to tip the people who bring you your food at Sonic, though I'm assuming not because the chick was gone before I would have even had a chance when I was there last time.

So--- where do you tip?  Who do you tip??

I tip my hairdresser, nail tech, waiters, bartenders, sometimes Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts for a complicated drink order, definitely the Sonic person, pizza delivery person...

Ok... how much?

Most of those would never apply to us - my hairdresser is a family friend who does it on the side, so no tip is necessary, I don't get my nails done, I already tip waiters, don't ever see bartenders, rarely go to Starbucks and when I do I don't get anything complicated, never have been to Dunkin Donuts, don't get pizza delivered (it's a block away lol).

I don't know why the Sonic girl ran off so fast.  She literally handed me my money and immediately turned and was gone.  I was in the process of getting a tip out for her - so I just assumed they must not do tips there. :confused:

I guess I'm thinking more like, when you are traveling who all do you tip? 

At home, too, I guess, but a lot of things that some people consider normal (everything listed above may be things some people do regularly but I never do) don't ever cross another person's radar.

I go by the mindset that it's better to have some cash on hand and to offer it rather than to risk offending.  I would definitely have tipped the shuttle driver - even if it meant waiting an extra minute to get money out of a bag he handed me.  But, it was incredibly RUDE of him to mention it to you.  

In addition to the people already listed - we tip for coat check, valet service, food delivery, and basically anyone in a hotel who helps me out.  I think that's it, but I might be missing someone!  

At our local coffee shop, sometimes I'll drop my change into the tip jar, but not always.

I go by the mindset that it's better to have some cash on hand and to offer it rather than to risk offending.  

Yeah, but how many people really have money for that?  

Honestly, I find the tipping thing confusing and somewhat irritating.  I've gotten rude comments about not tipping the garbage men.  What?  People do that?  It must be regional or a class issue, because growing up my Mom was a waitress for most of the time, and that's almost the only job I saw where there was tipping. 

Ok... how much?

Most of those would never apply to us - my hairdresser is a family friend who does it on the side, so no tip is necessary, I don't get my nails done, I already tip waiters, don't ever see bartenders, rarely go to Starbucks and when I do I don't get anything complicated, never have been to Dunkin Donuts, don't get pizza delivered (it's a block away lol).

I don't know why the Sonic girl ran off so fast.  She literally handed me my money and immediately turned and was gone.  I was in the process of getting a tip out for her - so I just assumed they must not do tips there. :confused:

I guess I'm thinking more like, when you are traveling who all do you tip? 

At home, too, I guess, but a lot of things that some people consider normal (everything listed above may be things some people do regularly but I never do) don't ever cross another person's radar.

I would definitely tip that hairdresser. 

Waitresses

Hairdressers

I don't have people carry my bags in airports and I don't have pizza delivered.  I rarely even get my hair cut, but I do tip when I do.  If I have a little change at places like Starbucks I might tip, otherwise I don't.

Yeah, but how many people really have money for that?  

Honestly, I find the tipping thing confusing and somewhat irritating.  I've gotten rude comments about not tipping the garbage men.  What?  People do that?  It must be regional or a class issue, because growing up my Mom was a waitress for most of the time, and that's almost the only job I saw where there was tipping. 

Well, I guess I tip mostly when I'm on vacation and I work it into my budget.   I do also use valet parking occasionally (if I'm really dressed up or have on high heels and don't want to walk far!) and coat check in the winter.  So, those things are usually predictable.  

But, I'll keep a bit of money in my wallet just in case.  If I'm at a store that has a tip jar and I get exceptional service I'll throw some money in.  If I'm grocery shopping for a crowd and need help out to my car, I like to have a couple dollars to offer (mostly they decline).  I just think it's a nice gesture.

Garbage men???  Really?  No.  I never tip garbage men.  Or my milk man.  (I did give a gift card at Christmas to him, however)  

I know a garbage truck driver on Facebook (an acquaintance from a long time ago).  Every Christmas, he posts a reminder to everyone to tip their garbage man.  He says to tape it to the underside of your can.

ETA: tape to the top (I went back and looked at his posts)

I'm going on a trip with my elderly grandmother, I'm wondering if when we change plans- if we get a ride in a security car or whatever those are- to the next terminal because it would take her too long to walk, do we tip that person?

I tip the usual people, hairdresser, waitress, starbucks.  Not the garbage man, but we do give the mailman a gift card at christmas.

I've only ever tipped wait staff and hairdressers. I don't patronize places that have valet parking or bellboys and whatnot. As for crappy jobs like hotel maids making minimum wage or barely above, I've never considered that. I know people who work in much crappier jobs than that making minimum wage who don't get tips. For example, the refugee family that our church is sponsoring: the husband is undergoing treatment for TB and can't work and the wife is supporting him and five children by working at a chicken processing plant for minimum wage. It's dangerous, physical, disgusting work. No tips. I just don't understand the whole tipping mindset.

Don't these people get paid to do their job?? I'm not being snarky, and I do tip waitresses, but the other people...I just don't get it. I mean, why would I tip a man that grabs my suitcase off a bus and hands it to me?

Tip the driver, especially if they help with your luggage. And 'no' many many people do not get paid their full wage by their employer. The assumption is that they are receiving tips, often they do not even make minimum wage. 

Tipped employees like waitresses can earn as little as $2.30/hour. 

I've only ever tipped wait staff and hairdressers. I don't patronize places that have valet parking or bellboys and whatnot. As for crappy jobs like hotel maids making minimum wage or barely above, I've never considered that. I know people who work in much crappier jobs than that making minimum wage who don't get tips. For example, the refugee family that our church is sponsoring: the husband is undergoing treatment for TB and can't work and the wife is supporting him and five children by working at a chicken processing plant for minimum wage. It's dangerous, physical, disgusting work. No tips. I just don't understand the whole tipping mindset.

I tip when I receive a service, i.e., food service, haircut, shuttle ride, because they often do not receive even minimum wage.

Just because their are other types of crappy jobs out there does not negate the fact that tipped service jobs are often paid crappy wages.

When a customer does not tip they are allowing the minimum wage (or less) worker to subsidize them. In other words, if the employer paid the tipped staff what they should earn I would probably be paying a higher price for the service. I don't want to get a 'discount' at the cost of the person helping me. 

I tip shuttle/taxi drivers, hair salons (including a separate tip for who washed my hair), wait staff (not if it's take out), pizza delivery, the Sonic person who brings food to my car, movers, hotel staff if they are dealing with our luggage, and sometimes I tip furniture delivery people when they have to set up something difficult.

Tip the driver, especially if they help with your luggage. And 'no' many many people do not get paid their full wage by their employer. The assumption is that they are receiving tips, often they do not even make minimum wage. 

Tipped employees like waitresses can earn as little as $2.30/hour

Wait staff, sure, but who else doesn't make minimum wage? I'm not aware of any other jobs that work that way (and I genuinely want to be aware if there are others). 

I tip when I receive a service, i.e., food service, haircut, shuttle ride, because they often do not receive even minimum wage.

Again, I am not aware of this being true for anyone except wait staff. Hair stylists make minimum wage if they are employees. If they are not employees, but independent contractors, then yes, they are paid by the job (like any other independent contractor). Shuttle and bus drivers make at least minimum wage. 

I know a garbage truck driver on Facebook (an acquaintance from a long time ago).  Every Christmas, he posts a reminder to everyone to tip their garbage man.  He says to tape it to the underside of your can.

Thank you.  That's what we've done, but I've always wondered about the right way to do this!  One year, I lurked near the window and accosted them as they emptied our can!  That was actually pretty funny.

Thinking more about tipping - we also tip movers (we've moved a lot), delivery people (furniture, etc), and anyone doing work in our house (painting, etc).  We don't tip our AC guy, because he owns the business, but if we've hired a contractor who has employees come do work, we tip them.

We do tip for restaurant take out, as well as eating in.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to tip our grocery helpers.  We use our grocery store's shop online service - they shop the order and bring it to our car.  But they say they are not allowed to accept tips.  

Thank you.  That's what we've done, but I've always wondered about the right way to do this!  One year, I lurked near the window and accosted them as they emptied our can!  That was actually pretty funny.

That is funny.  I went back and checked his post.  Tape it to the top of the can.  I guess you'd have to be careful to watch it since it would be visible to anyone.

Tipping is a way to assist those generally making minimum wage to earn an actual living when you use their services.  Getting paid minimum wage is NOT enough to live on IMO.

We tip valets (more when we choose them than when we HAVE to use them as we usually choose not to), free shuttle drivers, taxis, hairdressers, waiters, maids, delivery people (pizza/Chinese, etc)., and similar.

I have no regrets.  We mentally work tips into cost and if we can't afford it, we don't use the various services.

I feel for anyone trying to earn a living off minimum wage or slightly higher.

Those of you who won't deign to tip people making minimum wage..... Don't be shocked if you get shoddy service over the years. Or a least a touch of bad karma. People in service jobs that customarily get tips very reasonably expect to receive that as part of their compensation . It is part if the social contract. You break that, well, next time you come to find yourself not receiving common courtesy ---- perhaps it is because you didn't extend it either .

Taxi drivers, limo drivers, people at airports who take your luggage for you, sometimes delivery people, postman (at least once per year), hairdresser, waitresses/waiters, folks at the coffee joints..

Why the postal carrier? They make quite good money. 

Those of you who won't deign to tip people making minimum wage..... Don't be shocked if you get shoddy service over the years. Or a least a touch of bad karma. People in service jobs that customarily get tips very reasonably expect to receive that as part of their compensation . It is part if the social contract. You break that, well, next time you come to find yourself not receiving common courtesy ---- perhaps it is because you didn't extend it either .

That's a bit snarky. She said she tips waitstaff and hairdressers, and doesn't valet parking or bellboys - having read this thread, and many others, I would say that encompasses most people's idea of service jobs that customarily get tips. Who else are you including in that social contract? 

That's a bit snarky. She said she tips waitstaff and hairdressers, and doesn't valet parking or bellboys - having read this thread, and many others, I would say that encompasses most people's idea of service jobs that customarily get tips. Who else are you including in that social contract?

I guess I didn't read the bit about not tipping hotel maids because they make as much as a refugee with a terrible sob story as respectful .

I guess I didn't read the bit about not tipping hotel maids because they make as much as a refugee with a terrible sob story as respectful .

Or an intelligent reason...

One can only hope that those who choose not to tip also have to live off minimum wage.

Why the postal carrier? They make quite good money. 

We have a rural route postal carrier.  I am under the impression that their contracts are not as lucrative as regular postal workers.

Postal carriers are often the first to notice when things are wrong--like when the elderly who have a routine change it or if something else is amiss.  Our rural route carrier knew something was wrong when an elderly man down the street did not pick up his mail one day---he always did.  Turned out he had fallen in the bathroom and had been unable to communicate with anyone for over 24 hours.  Thanks to the postal carrier he was rescued. 

We give what I call the "postal team" a gratuity at Christmas.  Same with the newspaper delivery guy.

Unfortunately, the " social contract" is not written, and apparently many people are unaware of it. Not because they are bad people, but it's just not something they have been exposed to. So maybe in addition to tips, you could extend a little common courtesy yourself to others that may be in a different situation than you. Or who may not be aware of the "social contract" but who, I'm sure, are very lovely people.

I don't like the way our culture expects tips for doing their job. 

I tip when I need to, but would really rather just pay a slightly higher price so the employee can be paid a fair wage, and be done with it.

I live in Washington where wait staff make min wage or higher.  I do tip at restaurants, but unless I am tossing a few coins in a jar, I don't really tip the barista who makes my coffee (unless something happens that creates extra work for them), or other fast food worker who hands me a drink through a drive through window.

I tip at restaurants where my order is taken and brought to me at a table.

I tip hairdressers.

My postman makes more money that I do, so no, I don't tip them.  We have an unassigned route so we end up with whoever they decide to force overtime onto that week. I purposefully avoid the mail box until they leave because I have ran into many grouchy postal people at that box.  LOL   We don't get great postal service and definitely not personal service.

Our garbage service is fine but not stellar.  We are the first neighborhood on the route and they sometimes show up earlier than they are supposed to, resulting in someone not getting the debris out to the curb in time.  I have seen them let trash blow away when the are emptying the cans, and are just doing an average job.  Not horrible, but not worth tipping extra.

I forget to tip random service or delivery people who come to my home sometimes, but if I do, I make sure to call the boss with a compliment about them or write a nice note. 

I tip hotel maids if they do something extra, bellmen, valets, shuttle drivers.

Unfortunately, the " social contract" is not written, and apparently many people are unaware of it. Not because they are bad people, but it's just not something they have been exposed to. So maybe in addition to tips, you could extend a little common courtesy yourself to others that may be in a different situation than you. Or who may not be aware of the "social contract" but who, I'm sure, are very lovely people.

Not doing something out of ignorance, circumstance, forgetfulness , whatever... We've all been there done that . I certainly have. Coming up with and posting your reasons for why you refuse to do something is a whole different thing.

Not doing something out of ignorance, circumstance, forgetfulness , whatever... We've all been there done that . I certainly have. Coming up with and posting your reasons for why you refuse to do something is a whole different thing.

I'll add... When the reason is not a good one.  POOR service is a reason not to tip IMO.  Having a terribly stretched budget yourself is a "quasi" reason which then leads to why one is eating out or staying in a motel, or whatever, to start with.  If for an emergency, then not tipping is fine.  If to "enjoy oneself" then tipping should be factored in IMO.

Not tipping because one feels minimum wage is a perfectly adequate wage for people to live off of only makes me wish those choosing not to tip get to experience trying to live off that wage while doing minimum wage jobs.  That would be a karma win-win.  All the "lovely" work and low pay - "just as it should be."  :glare:

And as you said, ignorance or forgetfulness are a totally different deal than purposely not doing it when one KNOWS the situation.  Jobs with tips are sometimes the only jobs some folks can get that will allow them to potentially earn a decent wage.

What I hate are "suggested" tip amounts. I started getting massages at a national chain. I have chronic pain and it helps somewhat. I got a membership so I pay A certain amount per month and get one massage which is a lot less than If just paid the regular price. They suggest a tip of 15 to 20 dollars for a 50 min massage instead of the 6 to 8 dollars that would be the correct percentage based on what i actually pay. I just can't afford to pay an additional 20 on top of what I am already paying. I'm not sure what they make but don't they make more than just tips?

They suggest a tip of 15 to 20 dollars for a 50 min massage instead of the 6 to 8 dollars that would be the correct percentage based on what i actually pay. I just can't afford to pay an additional 20 on top of what I am already paying. I'm not sure what they make but don't they make more than just tips?

It is customary here to tip massage therapists and other spa workers 20% based on the listed menu prices, not on the discounted or sale price. If I couldn't afford to tip, personally I wouldn't go.

Unfortunately I signed up for the membership before I realized what the expected tip would be. I will cancel as soon as I can but I have about 8 accumulated visits that I need to use before I cancel otherwise I will lose them. Does anyone know if massage therapists are paid a good wage in addition to the tips?

Unfortunately I signed up for the membership before I realized what the expected tip would be. I will cancel as soon as I can but I have about 8 accumulated visits that I need to use before I cancel otherwise I will lose them. Does anyone know if massage therapists are paid a good wage in addition to the tips?

I have no idea, but can you ask them (or someone at the place) - more or less briefly explaining your situation?  Seriously not being able to afford something is far different from being stingy.  If they know "why" they're getting less, it would help them see you in a better light - and if you were to find out they get paid aside from tips - it could help you feel better about it too.

I guess I'd start with something to the effect of:

"I'm not sure how my membership $$ gets split up... do you (or do employees) see any of it or do you only get paid with my tips?  Because I'm afraid I might be hurting your income, but right now our finances are in such a tight bind that it's tough for me to come up with more... yet medically the massages are something I need... and I'm not sure how it all works out.  I don't want to stiff anyone, but I also want to feed my family."

I would tip what you can, and not worry about it.  "Suggested" is just that. Tip in good faith and do what you need to do. Anything that helps alleviate chronic pain is invaluable.

Seriously? You don't know me or my background. I don't commonly find myself in tipping situations because we've been at or close to minimum wage for most of our lives. I've never gotten a massage, a fancy haircut, paid to have my nails done, or even been to a place with valet parking. I know what it's like to live on crappy pay at physical work. When we do go out to eat, we typically tip anywhere from 25-200%. My husband and kids occasionally pay to get their hair cut at the discount place beside the grocery store and we tip there as they rent space and have set prices they can charge. I don't know of another worker that I encounter that doesn't make minimum wage. I don't tip the garbage men or the mail carrier and don't know anyone who would. I'm pretty sure they make more than do most people in my neighborhood. My husband worked for a residential service company for a while, and many of his friends still do. None of them have ever been tipped. And none of them have not extended "common courtesy" to people who don't supplement their wages. I don't know what "social contract" you signed, but it didn't get passed around my neck of the woods.

Ouch.  This thread is treading into some uncomfortable territory.

For one thing, it seems that the US has structured certain service jobs around tipping.  This is not necessarily true in other countries.  I even suspect that there is some regionalism in tipping.  For example, in NYC there is a culture of tipping your door man or elevator man if you live in a high rise.  Most of us don't live in Manhattan so we don't think about this.

My husband's employer has contracts with urban hotels near the corporate head office.  One of these hotels only has valet parking.  I recognize that not everyone chooses to stay at hotels with valet parking but sometimes business travelers don't have a choice.  I accompanied my husband to a conference in Phoenix.  The hotel hosting the conference only had valet parking. This may not be something all families choose for their vacations, but occasionally we encounter this.  Similarly with bellhops. Motels along the Interstate usually don't have this service, but it is not unusual in an urban hotel. 

The woman who cuts my hair has been doing so for about fifteen years. I was her customer when her husband left her and her three daughters.  I tip not only for her services, but for her girls.  Granted, I am in a position to do so but I seriously doubt if she expects someone in her own shoes to tip.  Maybe those of us who can contribute a bit more recognize when we can assist someone?

Cruise ships regularly include a standard tip in their charges.  Is it because people don't know how much to tip or is it because cruise lines have structured their wages to be artificially low?  Do some people think that service is better if a tip is involved?  I agree with those who say it would be better just to pay a decent wage--and then if I want to give a gift or a gratuity I can.  It is not something that should be expected.  But I am not sure if Americans would go that route.  Any time there is discussion of increasing the minimum wage for example we regularly see knotted knickers. 

I would definitely tip that hairdresser.

Ummm why?
I think you are thinking differently than the reality of it. What I pay her all goes straight to her, minus the cost of the color she put on my hair. She's a sahm (kids all in school) who does hair in a shop in her basement because she loves to do it.
She would look at me like I was crazy if I tried to tip her - she doesn't have set prices and stuff as it is, so the cost is different depending on what she does. :). Sometimes it's $45, sometimes it's $50... Etc.

Hmm it's not letting me edit that post but I forgot to add that she doesn't do it just to make money - that's why I said she does it on the side. I was meaning side work as in, work that one does specifically for the fun of it but isn't necessary for the financial security of the family (like what my grandma has always done, and what I do now), not side work as in extra work done on the side as well as a full time job to make ends meet.

Ummm why?
I think you are thinking differently than the reality of it. What I pay her all goes straight to her, minus the cost of the color she put on my hair. She's a sahm (kids all in school) who does hair in a shop in her basement because she loves to do it.
She would look at me like I was crazy if I tried to tip her - she doesn't have set prices and stuff as it is, so the cost is different depending on what she does. :). Sometimes it's $45, sometimes it's $50... Etc.

You do realize that most of us do not go to the neighbor's basement to have our hair done. 

When my father was in decline, a hair dresser who lived in his apartment building went to him to cut his hair as a courtesy. She charged ten bucks or something.  Her tip was a glass of wine afterwards.

We do what is appropriate for the situation.

You do realize that most of us do not go to the neighbor's basement to have our hair done.

When my father was in decline, a hair dresser who lived in his apartment building went to him to cut his hair as a courtesy. She charged ten bucks or something. Her tip was a glass of wine afterwards.

We do what is appropriate for the situation.

Yes, I was replying specifically to the poster who had replied to me when I said I don't tip my hairdresser. :)

Definitely at Sonic! My daughter was a carhop there for over two years and 99% of her income was from tips. They only get $4/hr (in TX, anyway), everything else has to come from tips. She averaged close to $1000/mth, though, so it was a great job to have before college.