Menu

Please share your experience with overnight camps for young kids

SKL

My kids will be in 3rd grade next year, so they now qualify for the short version of sleep-away camp:  3 days / 2 nights.  It's not far from home (we live near a national forest).

What are your experiences with kids of that age going to a short sleep-away camp?  Any words to the wise?  I told the girls and their first reaction was to be scared.  I think they'll have a blast once they realize it's designed with young kids in mind.

:bigear:

My boys started going to overnight camps when they were 6-7 years old and they loved it.  However, they had either DH or I with them.  My youngest has medical special needs and has to have a parent with him.  It was a Cub Scout camp so since DH and I are both leaders one of us has always gone until last year.  We did have boys in our pack going that didn't have parents with them and they all had a great time.  The camp kept the kids pretty busy and there was so much to see and do that they didn't have a lot of time to be home sick.  The hardest part is after they have to go to bed.  I think it helps if they have a friend or someone they know.

I went to my first sleep away camp between 2nd and 3rd grade.  I did okay.  There were a couple girls that were in my cabin that I went to school with, but wasn't really friends with.  I am very shy and introverted, but I made it through and remember it being a fun experience.

I've sent my kids to the 3 day/2 night camp since they were 6 and qualified. They've had wonderful times and begged to stay longer. I think the camp kept them so busy they were too tired at night to be homesick. They were alone with no one they knew and did fine so with a sib I would think they'd be fine.

It's like the sleep over threads.  Some children like it and some would be happier in their own beds. Personally I don't understand why we started having over night camp for really young kids. I think I was in 5th grade when I went and I still missed home, a lot.

My daughter had a pretty good time at overnight camp--better the year she went with a friend, though. Her biggest problem was the food, which was mostly processed foods that the camp heated up. She wasn't used to so much and her stomach was off the whole time.  When she was away from home in the future we talked about what alternatives to eat, but I didn't really prep her well for that scenario.

DS did a 2 weeks overnight camp last year when he was 9. So he is a bit older than yours. The policy of the camp is no phone, no visitors. They believe it only make the kids home sick more. We had access to the pictures from that day. They took about 100 pics each day and upload it in the morning. That did help for me. So you might want to check if they offer similar thing. He had a lot fun but do think 2 weeks are too much. We scale down to 1 week for this summer.

My dd went girl scout camp at that age. It was a week. She came home and said she wanted to go away to camp again the next year, but not girl scout camp. It was months before she would tell me what happened that she would not go to girl scout camp again. I told I couldn't send her to another camp before I knew what was wrong with girl scout camp. 

Girl scouts has a lot of rules about having a buddy for everything. To go to the toilet you had to tell the counselor and the counselor would give you a buddy. My dd asked to go to the toilet and the counselor made her wait to give her a buddy -- even after dd asked again, until she dd her pants. TWICE! Horrible! No wonder dd wouldn't tell me about it and didn't want to go back. Oh, and a girl was sent home early for poor behavior (physical fighting)--the counselors packed that girl's bag with some of dd's stuff--dd knew it was missing as soon as the girl left midweek.  

So, she did scouts for a few more years, but never returned to girl scout camp. 

She did sleep away camp again the next summer. It was a traditional summer camp (sleep in cabins, in the mountains, hikes, canoeing, etc) run by our church diocese. She had a great time. 

My dd went last year. She was 9 and she was horribly homesick. She said the days were fine, but the nights were bad enough that she did not want to go back.

A very dear friend had two children at this same camp. Her 8 yo and 10yo boys were sexually assaulted.

My kids won't be attending overnight camp any more.

Sorry, I know this is very downer. It is just my experience.

Mine started church sleep away camp.after 1st grade so age 7? DS had never really slept away from us & has SN so I was terrified but he was begging to go. Both kids loved it. They kept them too busy to be homesick & the camp nurse has always done fantastic with DS's medical needs. I.went to sleepaway camp starting at age 6 and I have awesome memories from it!

I think this kind of thing varies by kid. I would not send a kid at that age that wasn't asking to go. I think a secure, confident kid who's comfortable approaching varying new adults would do well. I did start sending my kids to all day day camps in varying settings starting in K, but not overnight. Now at 6th/7th grade, my oldest is very excited to do sleep away camps and activities. My younger will probably be ready sooner, but hasn't yet. It's one of those things where I'd rather do it a year after they're ready than a year before. I will say, I had a mom friend that drove 4 hours at night to pick up her youngish child from a camp.

I started going to sleep away camp at 7 or 8.  I was suppose to go for 2 weeks, but liked it so much I stayed all 8.  The camp I went to had a special cabin that had an elderly Grandma type who lived with the youngest girls, cooked up separate meals, etc.  I ended up spending most of my summers at camp until I was 12 or 13.   I was extremely shy and it didn't affect my enjoyment/comfort with being away from home.

My son is 10 and is hoping to go for 3 weeks this summer if we can swing it financially.

Do they happily participate in sleepovers? 

Have they ever been away from you for more than one night? 

Can they comfortably speak up to adults and authority figures? 

They love having sleepovers with their aunt & grandparents.  They have had sleepovers with their nanny and her family, but they don't like that so much.  They have never had a sleepover with anyone they (and I) didn't know well.

They've been away from me for multiple nights, when staying with an aunt or the grandparents.  This has never been a problem.

As far as speaking up to adults, I think they are OK for their age.  They can be shy, but they can also advocate for themselves and for each other, when they feel it important.  They have had plenty of experiences where they had to deal with new teachers/coaches on their own.

My kid brother did come home with a peed sleeping bag once.  Hopefully I will remember to tell my kids to always pee before bed, and hopefully they will do it!

When I was co-leader there was always, every night, at least one kid in the middle of the night who peed their sleeping bag, or had a nightmare, or thought they saw a snake....lack of sleep didn't reduce the kid's energy level but we adults were WASTED by the end of camp!  ;-)

My daughters have been going to sleep away camp for years, amazingly my youngest wanted to go when she was 6.  She did a short camp and loved it.

But that's neither here nor there.  What jumps out to me is that your kids' first response was fear. Sleep away camp is totally optional, so I would NOT send any kids who are afraid to go. Why force it if it doesn't sound fun to them? My nearly-15yo DS hates the idea of sleep away camp and has never been.

They are telling you they aren't ready.

My oldest has gone to sleep away camp for 2 summers now (only 2 nights).  This year (she'll be 8) she'll move up to staying 5 nights.  She's very excited.  When she first started at this camp (the same camp I grew up going to, BTW) she was adamant that mommy NOT be on staff.  She is very independent and wanted to be on her own. :p

My youngest is old enough for overnight camp this summer... but she has decided to just do day camp 1 more year.  She's not ready to stay away and I'm fine with that.

I think it varies by child.  If my child wasn't totally into it, I wouldn't push it.  There are tons of fun day camps that might be a good stepping stone.

As far as making it easier:  I was a nervous wreck when oldest DD went to camp that first year.  I was METICULOUS when I packed her bag -- then I sat her down and we walked through:  keeping up with one's property, not sharing certain items, what to do with wet items/dirty items, how to store toiletries, etc.   DD was just-turned 6... and we realized we'd have to teach her to take a shower on her own before she went to camp.  She'd been taking only tub baths before then!  

Most of that preparation was just to make ME feel better about sending her :) but she was fine.  

Oh boy, you just reminded me about the hair.  Miss E's hair, which is down to her butt and rather challenging to maintain.  She could go one day without combing it (we keep it braided) but two nights?  I think I will recruit her sister to comb and braid the hair before bed or after they swim....  This could get interesting....

My kids went away for the first time when they were 7 and 8.  It was with a local science museum and was designed for a first time camp experience.  They were a little nervous but by the time they got on the bus they were having fun.  It was great for them.  Several people cautioned me that they were too young, but it worked out well for us.  Both had had some (not much) sleepover experience with very close friends.  

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I remember my daughter was very hesitant when we first brought up the idea. So we told her she could wait till the next year, but by that time her brother would have aged out of it so he couldn't go with her. That changed her mind and she went off happily.  They barely saw each other at camp, but by then it didn't matter, they were having so much fun.

Oh boy, you just reminded me about the hair.  Miss E's hair, which is down to her butt and rather challenging to maintain.  She could go one day without combing it (we keep it braided) but two nights?  I think I will recruit her sister to comb and braid the hair before bed or after they swim....  This could get interesting....

Yep!  My daughter also has very long hair (mid- to low-back).

Will her camp have room/cabin moms?  The first year DD went to camp, an acquaintance of mine stayed in her room as a Room Mom, so I trusted that her hair was brushed and ponytailed each day.  The 2nd year DD was completely on "her own" and I think she did, at least, brush it.  

Camp story:  DD informed me that while she was at camp there was an overflowed toilet.  In the same bathroom area as the showers.  And that, after her shower, she slipped in the overflow and got her towel wet.  And that this was the same towel she used the following night to get ready for bed.

Ewww.  Just eww.  

I try not to even think of the grossness of it all. :D  She came back, safe and sound.  The rest is minor details.

My dd went last year. She was 9 and she was horribly homesick. She said the days were fine, but the nights were bad enough that she did not want to go back.

A very dear friend had two children at this same camp. Her 8 yo and 10yo boys were sexually assaulted.

My kids won't be attending overnight camp any more.

Sorry, I know this is very downer. It is just my experience.

This is always my first concern, too. What do most camps do to ensure that it doesn't happen? Do they have two counselors in each cabin? Do they have rules that counselors can never be alone with a single child? The idea of sleep-away camp sounds SO fun to me, and I know my dd6 would love it and have no homesickness issues. I only ever went to church camps, but even those were so much fun. It just makes me nervous to send my kid off to sleep away with complete strangers for a week.

This is always my first concern, too. What do most camps do to ensure that it doesn't happen? Do they have two counselors in each cabin? Do they have rules that counselors can never be alone with a single child? The idea of sleep-away camp sounds SO fun to me, and I know my dd6 would love it and have no homesickness issues. I only ever went to church camps, but even those were so much fun. It just makes me nervous to send my kid off to sleep away with complete strangers for a week.

The scout camps we have been to have separate sleeping quarters for the kids and the adults.  Kids are only allowed to share a tent with a parent/guardian.  Also, they enforce two-deep leadership at all times at camp.  Each group has to send at least 2 adults to camp who are in charge of the kids.  Kids are also supposed to always have a buddy with them.  Adults and kids have different bathrooms and shower facilities.  Adults are sleeping nearby and can hear everything going on, but can't be in the sleeping quarters of the youth.  It made me nervous the first time we went to camp and I heard that 8-10 new 2nd graders were going to be alone in a cabin, but adults were all camped around in tents and it worked well.

I am not sure how church camps do things now.  I haven't been a counselor in many, many years and back then it was just one staff with a cabin full of kids.  I would think that this would have changed, but I don't know for sure.  When DD went on a retreat a few months ago the teens had separate sleeping areas from adults.

I think camps do what they can. At the camp I mentioned, the boys were molested together. Four boys total were molested in groups of two. There was a 2 leader deep policy - except on boats. It happened on a boat. Adults were background checked - that only helps if you have been caught. (the guy was a cop, husband, and father) He knew the boys from home in this situation, but he is also accused of molesting at least one other boy that he did not know previously. It is like you always are one step behind in these situations. I'm sure the camp will change their policy on fishing excursions, but I'm also sure that some sicko is going to look for another loophole.

IMO, 10yo and under (roughly) kids are too young to be at overnight camp without a parent/guardian. I know that my experience colors my POV on this. But until you have seen it from the inside, it is hard to grasp how easily something like this could happen. :(

My daughters have been going to sleep away camp for years, amazingly my youngest wanted to go when she was 6.  She did a short camp and loved it.

But that's neither here nor there.  What jumps out to me is that your kids' first response was fear. Sleep away camp is totally optional, so I would NOT send any kids who are afraid to go. Why force it if it doesn't sound fun to them? My nearly-15yo DS hates the idea of sleep away camp and has never been.

They are telling you they aren't ready.

You have to know what's best for your kids... I agree with NorthwestMom, though. I went to camp for a week when I was 7yo. It was my first time away from home for that long. I didn't have any friends or siblings with me. I was extremely shy. I so did *not* want to go. The week really was fine. Nothing terribly traumatic happened. I did have fun. But I still remember the incredible *fear* I had going into that week... Even though I have fun memories from that week, I have memories of the fear, too. I don't think my parents should have made me go (no, I'm not bitter :)) and I won't make my kids do something they are afraid of unless it's a situation or an environment that *I* (or dh) can control. 

DD8 went to overnight camp for the first time last year and loved it. DD12 was 8 or 9 when she went to the same one, a local camp that's 3 days and 2 nights.

Have they shared why they're scared? I would try to address their concerns and encourage them, but I wouldn't push them if chatting about it doesn't help with the fears.

My youngest DD has thick, curly hair that hangs past her rear end. When she goes to Girl Scout camp I always mention that she need help with her hair, and she ALWAYS emerges with some fantastic braided hairstyle that the teen girl counselors did for her.  They love messing with her hair. I do not have them wash and comb it out though. 

DD will be going this summer very soon after turning 6. I'm nervous about it but not letting her know that. She's very excited. She was actually a little miffed DH said no week-long for her first trip. It's with Girl Scouts and they offered 3-day, 4-day, and week-long for Daisy's. She's doing a 4 day. We get to go check out the camp and counselors/leaders before she goes.

It's my biggest fear, too. For GS, I know they have a 2-deep policy and are very careful about cabin arrangements. I know something could still happen. Predators always find a way. But I also try to balance that with the fact that this could also happen at home. Playing at a friend's house for just an hour could result in this. Even if I know the parents. They do say it's usually someone you know and trust.

ETA: And now I'm worried about her hair! I didn't even think of this! Her hair is always a rat's nest. No matter what I do. Even when I pull it back really well she manages to get it half pulled out and all over within a couple of hours. She is starting to take a great interest in brushing and doing it herself, so I guess I have a few months to work with her and teach her how to get out the tangles and pull it into a ponytail. Thankfully she's been showering independently for a while now, so we're good there.

My dd knew how to do her own hair, but it was so long and thick that she often needed my help at home. I put her hair in pigtail braids before she left. I told her to leave them in as long as possible, and the braids bought her a couple days. After that her counselors were very willing to help.

Dd was 9 when she went to church camp. Since it was several hours from where we live, we decided to stay in the area for a few days in case she got homesick. Because she knew we were up there, we got a phone call that she wanted to go home on the day we were heading home. So she only made it half the week. She didn't know anyone at all, so I think that was a big factor.

My biggest concern (and not until we picked her up and all of the girls were settled into their cabins) was the condition of the cabin. It was very old, and numerous fans and extension cords were plugged in everywhere, with only one exit (it had windows of course, but old and not sure if anyone would be able to open them if needed). Even though I've stayed at this camp as a child, as well as most of my siblings, I'm not sure I'll encourage my kids to go again. 

The scout camps we have been to have separate sleeping quarters for the kids and the adults.  Kids are only allowed to share a tent with a parent/guardian.  Also, they enforce two-deep leadership at all times at camp.  Each group has to send at least 2 adults to camp who are in charge of the kids.  Kids are also supposed to always have a buddy with them.  Adults and kids have different bathrooms and shower facilities.  Adults are sleeping nearby and can hear everything going on, but can't be in the sleeping quarters of the youth.  It made me nervous the first time we went to camp and I heard that 8-10 new 2nd graders were going to be alone in a cabin, but adults were all camped around in tents and it worked well.

I went to sleep-away camp back in the day, and I have to disagree with this - no way can adults in separate tents or cabins "hear everything going on." Certainly they can hear if a kid yells for help or if something comes crashing down, but that's about it, really. 

That's not to say one shouldn't send their kids to sleep-away camp, but don't do so with the idea that the adults will always know what is going on.  They won't. 

OK, I looked up some more info about the camp and it seems they have two adults with the kids at all times, including sleeping in the "dorm room" with them.

There is an open house in April, so I can check the place out and show it to the kids.

As for why they were scared, initially one was smiling and one burst into tears.  Then the other one of course picked up on it.  When I asked the crier what the worry was, first she said she didn't want to sleep away from me.  Then she said "I want my bear," which I assured her she could take.  After that she seemed better.  I think she really just needs to get psyched up to the idea.  I wonder if she has read a book or seen a movie about camp being scary.

It's good to hear that so many kids of similar age go to camp and have a great time.  I am sure she will, too.  Her sister will be right there, and she's a social, adventurous girl.  And the camp is designed specifically for kids who aren't ready for the week-long version, so I'm sure it will be a gentle experience.

DD went when she was 8 and 9, but we made a colossal mistake and let friends talk us into letting her go when the camp was two weeks long.  It was too much.  If it had been only a day or two, I think she would have done much better.  We did do a lot of research on safety, though.  And I know a lot of people at the camp. we have family friends with kids at the camp and she had friends from her school going, too.  But she was too young (for her) and it was too long.  She came back after the first one utterly miserable.  But she decided to go again the next year, really pressing to go (afterwards we decided it was possibly peer pressure) and she ended up deeply depressed the first several days.  Although she had fun, she has never wanted to go to any sort of spend the night camp again, no matter what the length or how short the camp.  

I started going when I was 10, and it was a two week camp.  I loved it and went every summer until the cutoff age for the camp I was attending, which was 13 (but I did have a potentially scary moment at 13 with a new employee, male, who was hired to handle the horses... :sad:  Thankfully, things were o.k. but his vocal tone, facial expression, body language, etc. were screaming at me that I was in danger and needed to get back with the group.  I made certain never to be alone in the stables with him again, but I wasn't knowledgeable enough to say anything to anyone and there was no proof that I was in any danger so they might not have believed me anyway...).

On the flip side, I have friends with 3 kids (2 boys and a girl), all of whom started going to a 3 week spend the night camp when they were 8 and they all have LOVED it.  One is now a junior counselor there.  

IMO, 10yo and under (roughly) kids are too young to be at overnight camp without a parent/guardian. I know that my experience colors my POV on this. But until you have seen it from the inside, it is hard to grasp how easily something like this could happen. :(

:iagree: It's not worth the risk for me.  I'm not comfortable leaving young children with people I don't know, and especially not overnight.