Menu

Pixie Haircuts... Updated with pictures and links to same pictures!!!

jenn-

Only for the really feminine girls?  I am sick and tired of my hair.  It is pretty much stick straight and fairly fine and I wear it back in a ponytail or bun 100% of the time if I am leaving the house.  Since most people see me with it back out of my face, I thought about just getting it all cut off.  My fear is that I will come out looking too much like my sons since I do not wear make up or overly feminine clothing (aka I live in jeans and t-shirts/long sleeve t-shirts).  Who has gone from long hair straight to pixie cut and were you happy that you did it?

I did!  I went from very long hair that was increasingly falling out and becoming fine and lanky (hormone/birth) to a pixie.  I'm very glad I did.  I'm going to try to grow it out again, probably, but I've had it cut off since late 2012.  I also wear clothes that are not very feminine, and wear little makeup, usually.  But it hasn't been an issue. :)

I have…but then again most of my life I had short (but not a pixie short) hair.

I finally grew it out in my late 20s…. and while I enjoyed putting it back in a ponytail, that was about it.  My hair was just too thick/heavy.

So one day I had it all cut off into a very short pixie and loved it.  Only thing was I felt I had to get my ears re-pierced…because I felt I needed to have earrings…even if they were just studs.

I used to wear my long hair up all. the. time.  it wasn't flattering.  I chopped it off.  it's varied from almost pixie to not quite chin length. my hair grows fast (one reason I had it long).  we're getting closer to how I like it.  I do end up with a hairband "pulling" it back, especially if I'm doing something that makes me hot.

wear dangly earrings.  even with jean's and T's.

I have a friend whose hair has been pixie as long as I've known her. she wear's dangly earrings all the time.

My dd likes to have her hair in a pixie cut.  The trick seems to be keeping the top layers longer.  It has a much more feminine appearance that way.  The last time we went, the stylist layered her hair all the way up and, well, let's just say that people now tell me what a cute son I have. ;)

Dd has very fine hair too, and this cut always looked nice on her:

post-14983-0-10259000-1394211140_thumb.jpg

I've had lots of pixies:  I tend to go back and forth between mid length and chopping off to pixie length and everything in between.  

If you are a feminine girl, a pixie is not going to change that.  Just be yourself.

I don't always wear make up, and I mostly wear jeans and tees.  No one ever thought I was a boy.  :)

I have…but then again most of my life I had short (but not a pixie short) hair.

I finally grew it out in my late 20s…. and while I enjoyed putting it back in a ponytail, that was about it. My hair was just too thick/heavy.

So one day I had it all cut off into a very short pixie and loved it. Only thing was I felt I had to get my ears re-pierced…because I felt I needed to have earrings…even if they were just studs.

I wore my hair very long for many years, and like umami, I felt like I needed to get my ears pierced when I had it cut short. I wear my studs pretty much all the time. I do not own another pair of earrings.

I've always wanted to go super-short with a pixie... but I've not been brave enough.  The closest I got was after my oldest was born, I did one of those angled-bobs with it shorter in the back and mid cheek length in the front (just long enough to get behind my ears.)

I'm not a girly-girl, though I do wear makeup when I go out of the house.  But I'm a jeans/t-shirt gal, always.  I also have not-so-girly features (no dainty nose here...)  I worry I'd look manly if I went with a pixie... :o

I've always wanted to go super-short with a pixie... but I've not been brave enough.  The closest I got was after my oldest was born, I did one of those angled-bobs with it shorter in the back and mid cheek length in the front (just long enough to get behind my ears.)

I'm not a girly-girl, though I do wear makeup when I go out of the house.  But I'm a jeans/t-shirt gal, always.  I also have not-so-girly features (no dainty nose here...)  I worry I'd look manly if I went with a pixie... :o

I've done the angled bob on accident once.  I was donating my hair and the stylist went shorter then I was expecting by the time she had "evened it all up".  I had it back in a headband most days as I cannot stand my hair in my face.  My ears are already pierced and I guess I could invest in some dangle earrings or steal some of DD's.  I was thinking of a style like this that doesn't rely on bangs.

I think pixies look best on women with finer features and at least a medium build (not heavy). I agree about the ear-piercing thing and I do think a *bit* of make-up helps. But ultra-feminine clothing isn't necessary at all. I got a pixie after trying to figure out how to make my fine, straight hair look good long. I will NEVER go back!

My dd likes to have her hair in a pixie cut.  The trick seems to be keeping the top layers longer.  It has a much more feminine appearance that way.  The last time we went, the stylist layered her hair all the way up and, well, let's just say that people now tell me what a cute son I have. ;)

Dd has very fine hair too, and this cut always looked nice on her:

She is adorable!

If I had fine straight hair I would soooo do a chin-length bob. Oh how I envy those who can pull it off. It looks effortless, yet feminine and transitions so nicely from sweats to an evening gown. ::sigh:: As a girl who skips make-up most days because I'm lazy, short hairstyles frighten me. I think they look great, but I have a hard enough time dragging in for a yearly haircut. I'm just not built to be on the 6-week cut plan. Women with nice short hair always look so pulled-together to me standing by with my frizzy, curly ponytail/bun. ::bigger more dramatic sigh::

Been there!  My problem was that I have very fine hair, and while it's not thin, it isn't really thick, either.  No styling product can hold my hair for more than 15 minutes before it all goes limp.  I really like the slightly spiky all over style of some pixies, but no amount of any crazy hair product would hold my hair for any length of time.  It always just fell flat on my head and looked greasy.  :-(  So consider how your hair holds product and styles before cutting!

When I had a pixie I looked too masculine unless I wore eye makeup and earrings. The shorter the cut, the more eye makeup needed. For me.

I agree that it can look very masculine if you are overweight.

Definitely not overweight, but don't have dainty features.

If I had fine straight hair I would soooo do a chin-length bob. Oh how I envy those who can pull it off. It looks effortless, yet feminine and transitions so nicely from sweats to an evening gown. ::sigh:: As a girl who skips make-up most days because I'm lazy, short hairstyles frighten me. I think they look great, but I have a hard enough time dragging in for a yearly haircut. I'm just not built to be on the 6-week cut plan. Women with nice short hair always look so pulled-together to me standing by with my frizzy, curly ponytail/bun. ::bigger more dramatic sigh::

Chin length bobs won't do it for me because it just falls in my face.  I count the days down until it is long enough for the ponytail and wear a headband until that point.

Been there!  My problem was that I have very fine hair, and while it's not thin, it isn't really thick, either.  No styling product can hold my hair for more than 15 minutes before it all goes limp.  I really like the slightly spiky all over style of some pixies, but no amount of any crazy hair product would hold my hair for any length of time.  It always just fell flat on my head and looked greasy.  :-(  So consider how your hair holds product and styles before cutting!

I know that my long hair doesn't hold style, but I have no idea what it would do without the extra weight of the length.

A pixie will draw attention to your eyes so, yes, eye make-up is a good idea. I've been rocking a pixie for 2 years and I love it!!

This is my biggest fear as I sport some massive "allergy shiners".  Make up doesn't touch them on the few occasions I put it on.  I am trying to decide if the extra attention to the eyes will be worth it.

I've had a very short pixie cut for years now and love it. Only draw back is that it would require a lot of patience if I were ever to grow it put....which I'm not planning on doing! :-)

How often do you go in to get it cut?

My youngest dd has a super short haircut. To be honest, it does look like a boy's hair cut, but it's not too bad. She's definitely not a girly girl. She doesn't wear makeup or even feminine clothing. It's cute though and she gets a lot of compliments on it.

I have stick straight, fine hair, too. I've had pixies many times and love them, and spent most of my 20's with one. I did always wear at least a little makeup and earrings, which I do normally anyway. Grew it out after having kids, quitting work and not being able to get a trim every 3 weeks or so. I'm also a little too chubby currently that I don't think it would be flattering. Now have a mid-jaw length, slightly inverted bob. No problems with it being in my face. I like the current length because it's short, but doesn't 'look' short and adds volume.

I think certain people can pull off the Pixie Cut. It's not for everyone. But I think a good hair stylist will be able to meet with you and give their honest opinion. 

I would try Aveda salons, see if you have one in the area. My friend has worked for Aveda salons for years, she has lots and lots of extra training, besides basic beauty school and she is fantastic. When we moved away from her, I looked up Aveda salons in my new area, and have never been disappointed.

Otherwise, I would try and find a local area facebook group, join and ask opinions there.

I use hair glue.  I used it when I had the pixie and I still use it now that it's very long.  I have very fine hair.  

I let the hair towel dry.  I put a penny sized thing of the hair glue in my palms and smoosh it around.  I rub it into my hair.  I then let it dry a little more and style as usual.  It's the only thing EVER  in 41 years of life that gave my fine hair any body.

Okay, here's a picture of me from a few years ago (not easy finding a picture of me with my hair down).  I look pretty much the same except my hair is about 4 inches longer and my face isn't quite as full.  I had just came back from a run, so ignore the outfit.  What do you ladies think?

d93fa3fd-dc99-4beb-a7b4-d70db7398d2a_zps

I've had my pixie for almost a year. I love it! I get it cut every 4 weeks. I'm ready after 3 though. I hate the tickly feeling on my neck. Some people don't like having to go to the hairdresser so often. I think it's worth it. It takes me 3 minutes to blow dry it in the morning. I put a little wax in my palm and run it through my hair and I'm done.

I usually do wear eye make-up. I have many ear piercings. I wear hoops in them all. 

People either love pixies or hate them. I got a lot of "Wow! You rock that cut!" or "chirp.....chirp..." Which is fine.

Oh, the other comment I get a lot is "Was your dh ok with you cutting off your hair?" It was his suggestion. He loves it. ;)

Okay, here's a picture of me from a few years ago (not easy finding a picture of me with my hair down).  I look pretty much the same except my hair is about 4 inches longer and my face isn't quite as full.  I had just came back from a run, so ignore the outfit.  What do you ladies think?

Yup, you have the right build and face type. I say go for it!!!

ETA: With earrings (they can be little) and a little lip gloss/mascara. You don't have to get all crazy girly, but a little is good.

Go for it! It's only hair. It grows back. :)  You'll be proud of yourself for taking the risk. At least I was!

(I did have several days of panic and freak out though. Just be prepared. It's a big change and it's normal to freak out a bit. I was fine within a week.)

OMG, you're 12. I'm not sure I like you any more.

OMG, you're 12. I'm not sure I like you any more.

If it makes you feel any better, I have started to see some gray coming in since that photo was taken.  And my body definitely keeps trying to remind me that I am not 12 as I try to keep up with the nearing 14yo in Tae Kwon Do.

For those that go in every 4-6 weeks, how much are your cuts typically?  I would expect the first cut to be pretty expensive, but are the trimmings just as bad?  DH might flip if I do something that requires I get a $50 haircut every month.

If it makes you feel any better, I have started to see some gray coming in since that photo was taken.  And my body definitely keeps trying to remind me that I am not 12 as I try to keep up with the nearing 14yo in Tae Kwon Do.

:lol:  I definitely hear you there.  You have the right build/face.  Go for it!  It will grow back or you can wear a bandana if you hate it. :)  I wear my girly bandana thing a lot with my hair growing out. My hair isn't straight, though, so if I don't flat iron it, I look all sorts of nutty.  Thank goodness for the head coverings.

For those that go in every 4-6 weeks, how much are your cuts typically? I would expect the first cut to be pretty expensive, but are the trimmings just as bad? DH might flip if I do something that requires I get a $50 haircut every month.

I pay $30 every 5 weeks. It did take me years to find a stylist I liked. The $30 is just part of our monthly budget now and it is worth it!