Menu

Sides for Chicken & Dumplings

QueenCat

A big salad should do the trick . . . Maybe even a salad bar so people can have choices. If you don't put veggies in your chicken and dumplings you can also do a hot veggie dish on the side like green beans, broccoli/cauliflower, or carrots. I wouldn't serve bread unless you think you'll run out of dumplings and need extra biscuits to make up for it. I'd make dome banana pudding for dessert :-)

Good side: Apple and raisin salad..chopped apples mixed with raisins sprinkled with sugar and a few squeezes of lemon juice. This sweetens and softens in the fridge after several hours. We love Chicken and Dumplings here. I prefer the fluffy doughy biscuit type, but like the flat type as well. I sometimes get the dumplings as a side at Cracker Barrel, but their chicken always tastes dry to me so I stopped ordering it as an entree.

I make dumplings wheat free for dh with Pamela's gluten free artesian flour, a little baking powder, oil, water, and salt. Then I drop small clumps into the pot of boiling veggies/broth/seasonings the last few minutes of cooking. So yummy!

Enjoy your dinner!

Good side: Apple and raisin salad..chopped apples mixed with raisins sprinkled with sugar and a few squeezes of lemon juice. This sweetens and softens in the fridge after several hours. We love Chicken and Dumplings here. I prefer the fluffy doughy biscuit type, but like the flat type as well. I sometimes get the dumplings as a side at Cracker Barrel, but their chicken always tastes dry to me so I stopped ordering it as an entree.

I make dumplings wheat free for dh with Pamela's gluten free artesian flour, a little baking powder, oil, water, and salt. Then I drop small clumps into the pot of boiling veggies/broth/seasonings the last few minutes of cooking. So yummy!

Enjoy your dinner!

Ohh! So that's what you guys mean when you say chicken and dumplings. I always thought when I heard that, of a pot pie filling with a biscuit top, baked in the oven. What you describe, we call Fricot (pronounced freeco with a rolled 'r') I also make my biscuits and dumplings gluten free - I like the Dunkerkinn's brand - though I likely butchered the spelling.

You all are nuts sometimes but you have some great ideas........... I did already plan to have extra bread and a vegie appetizer platter, since they'll be arriving about an hour before dinner is served. Now some of you have me second guessing my simple dessert of brownies/ice cream.

Fluffy is a failed, wet biscuit! Down with fluffy!

Fluffy dumplings are not "wet biscuits." They are fluffy and dry on the inside and perfectly coated with gravy on the outside. They also take more skill to make. Slippery dumplings are slimy and weird.

Ohh! So that's what you guys mean when you say chicken and dumplings. I always thought when I heard that, of a pot pie filling with a biscuit top, baked in the oven. What you describe, we call Fricot (pronounced freeco with a rolled 'r') I also make my biscuits and dumplings gluten free - I like the Dunkerkinn's brand - though I likely butchered the spelling.

What DO we call it when we make a pot pie with biscuits instead of a pie crust? I just call them both chicken pot pie. I do it with biscuits most often because it's easier. WAIT, HOLD THE PHONE! Has anyone tried this with sausage gravy and biscuits?

You all are nuts sometimes but you have some great ideas........... I did already plan to have extra bread and a vegie appetizer platter, since they'll be arriving about an hour before dinner is served. Now some of you have me second guessing my simple dessert of brownies/ice cream.

Brownies and ice cream is always perfect because most people like one or both. I LOVE banana pudding, but my family thinks it's "weird southern food."

First, they aren't "slippery" dumplings.  They are strip dumplings.  They are very, very good and my preferred dumpling.  It takes skill to get those right so that they aren't strips of pressed cardboard. 

Fluffy dumplings are an entirely different thing.  Fluffy dumplings are for stews, like chicken stew or beef stew.

Sides?  Green beans, stewed tomatoes, green salad, blackberry buckle for dessert.

We always have the sides we eat at Cracker Barrel, green beans and fried apples. We are having this exact meal tomorrow night, mmmmm-mmmm! Have you tried Paula Deen's "Not Yo momma's Banana Pudding", it is truly divine.

I ONLY make this for gatherings. It's too rich to be hanging out in my home.

Slippery dumplings or strips or whatever you want to call them, are NOT dumplings!  Dumplings are light, and fluffy, and as Panda said, dry on the inside, while perfectly coated w/ gravy/broth on the outside.  Dumplings are definitely not failed biscuits, and certainly not SLIMY!

I got your back Panda.  Seems some people need some edumacation on the fine points of dumplings!

I'm so confused!  My mom makes dumplings that are similar to what some of you are calling slipper or strip dumplings, but they fluffy and dry on the inside.  They're not thick, but fluffy, so what are they????  They're similar to Cracker Barrel's, but they are fluffier and not nearly as heavy, and practically melt in your mouth.  It's my favorite meal ever (even though I don't eat the chicken), and my mom always makes it for me when I visit.  She puts celery and carrots, cut into tiny slivers as I dislike carrots, in them.  She serves green peas (some people call them English peas)-not from a can-and bakes biscuits and serves them with homemade fig preserves.  OMG, it all sounds so good right now!

Fluffy dumplings are not "wet biscuits." They are fluffy and dry on the inside and perfectly coated with gravy on the outside. They also take more skill to make. Slippery dumplings are slimy and weird.  See above.  I'm so confused!  I do know that some people make "drop" dumplings, where they just take a spoon of dough and drop it in the pot.  Blech!

What DO we call it when we make a pot pie with biscuits instead of a pie crust? I just call them both chicken pot pie.Yeah, I'd call that chicken pot pie, though I know some people call them chicken and dumplings.  Blasphemers!   I do it with biscuits most often because it's easier. WAIT, HOLD THE PHONE! Has anyone tried this with sausage gravy and biscuits?

Brownies and ice cream is always perfect because most people like one or both. I LOVE banana pudding, but my family thinks it's "weird southern food."

OMG, yes!!!!  My grandmother used to make an amazing banana pudding (real pudding, not from a box!), and we would all wait for it to come out of the oven, then fight over who got to "lick" the bowl when it was all gone.  She made an enormous batch, and it was gone almost before she got it to the counter.  I have never had any as good as hers.  All my aunts have her exact recipe, but no one can replicate it!

Banana pudding is one of the best things about the south!  YES!

First, they aren't "slippery" dumplings.  They are strip dumplings.  They are very, very good and my preferred dumpling.  It takes skill to get those right so that they aren't strips of pressed cardboard.  I think this is what my mom must make, because they are just perfect.

Fluffy dumplings are an entirely different thing.  Fluffy dumplings are for stews, like chicken stew or beef stew.  Would these be like the "drop" dumplings I described above?  I've never had dumplings in a stew.

Sides?  Green beans, stewed tomatoes, green salad, blackberry buckle for dessert.

I ONLY make this for gatherings. It's too rich to be hanging out in my home.  If I come over, will you make it?  We can lick the bowl together!

Not, fabulous, but here's a basic way to make the dish:

If you want to cook the chicken yourself, cook the chicken on stove top in water so you have your own broth, then remove the cooked whole chicken, set chicken aside. Add diced carrots, celery, onion, and seasonings (such as salt, pepper, parsley, rosemary) to broth and cook on low boil. Meanwhile, me ake the biscuit type dumplings I mix 2 cups flour, 4 tsp baking powder, about 1/2 cup oil, about 2/3 cup water, about 1 tsp salt (I just wing the measurements). Make small balls or clumps out of the biscuit mixture about 1 inch round (just wing it also, but they will grow as they cook) and drop these into the veggies cooking in the broth (should be a gentle low boil if that makes sense) the last 12-15 minutes of cooking. Cut up or shred chicken at this time. The last 3-4 minutes of cooking I might add frozen peas. When you taste test the dumplings and make sure they are cooked through inside (not raw doughy tasting inside, yet not overcookd into a tough gummy consistency), add the chopped cooked chicken you set aside earlier, then simmer all together for 5-10 minutes.

Warning: I am not a great cook, I don't follow a specific recipe for this, and I am sure there are much tastier ways to enjoy Chicken and Dumplings. But it's one of our favorite meals.

Oh, sorry OP.  Chicken and dumplings around here have veggies in the soup, so rarely get a side dish.  I would serve a pre-salad, rolls, and maybe a fruit dish for dessert.

If your chicken and dumplings have veggies in it, then that is chicken stew with dumplings, in which case fluffy dumplings are de rigeur, but it's not chicken and dumplings.  ;)

I'm so confused!  My mom makes dumplings that are similar to what some of you are calling slipper or strip dumplings, but they fluffy and dry on the inside.  They're not thick, but fluffy, so what are they????  They're similar to Cracker Barrel's, but they are fluffier and not nearly as heavy, and practically melt in your mouth.  It's my favorite meal ever (even though I don't eat the chicken), and my mom always makes it for me when I visit.  She puts celery and carrots, cut into tiny slivers as I dislike carrots, in them.  She serves green peas (some people call them English peas)-not from a can-and bakes biscuits and serves them with homemade fig preserves.  OMG, it all sounds so good right now!

What your momma makes is some proper and spectacular strip dumplings.  :thumbup1:

ETA:  And to your other question.... some people call fluffy dumplings "drop dumplings."  Not everyone makes that type of dumpling as a dropped type, though.  Some people make fluffy dumplings as a little ball of batter/dough that goes in the liquid.  Some do the drop method.  Both methods can produce great results if done right.

Does your mother want to adopt another daughter? Homemade fig preserves?  :drool5: 

What your momma makes is some proper and spectacular strip dumplings.  :thumbup1:

They are spectacular!  I absolutely cannot make them the way she does.  When they visited at Christmas, she made a big pot and I was in heaven.  We're going to WDW with them in June, and then driving back to their house for a week or so, and she's promised to make some while I'm there.  YAY!

ETA:  And to your other question.... some people call fluffy dumplings "drop dumplings."  Not everyone makes that type of dumpling as a dropped type, though.  Some people make fluffy dumplings as a little ball of batter/dough that goes in the liquid.  Some do the drop method.  Both methods can produce great results if done right.

Okay, I get it.  Sort of.  I do not like the ball dumplings.

Does your mother want to adopt another daughter? Homemade fig preserves?  :drool5:

OMG, they are soooo good.  Indy loves them, and whenever we run out, he tells her she needs to ship us some.  She uses the recipe my grandmother on my dad's side used.  My grandparents used to have a hug fig tree in their yard, and my grandmother canned jars and jars of them every year.  My mom also makes fig/pear preserves, but I don't like those as much.  I do like her fig/strawberry preserves, but I'd rather have them plain!  I'm not a big biscuit fan (though hers are good), but with chicken and dumplings and fig preserves, I eat them up.

Can someone post their fabulous chicken and dumplings recipe? I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I've never even tried them before...but this thread has made me want to try. :)

Just go to Cracker Barrel. I had never even heard of them before I saw them at Cracker Barrel.

Where I come from, dumplings are made with Bisquick and they're soft, fluffy biscuit-type things that you cook on top of a stew. (Or you can make them from scratch, but I thought Bisquick described them more accurately.) The Cracker Barrel-type dumplings are sort of like really big, thick noodles and they are stirred right into the gravy. (Is it called gravy? I have no idea.)

Chicken and dumplings, if I recall, tend to flow over other things on the plate due to the gravy.  So, I would serve them in their own bowl over whipped potatoes or whipped cauliflower.

On another plate, roasted carrots and asparagus drizzled with balsamic vinegar reduction.

Since the meal is heavy, I would serve something "light" for dessert:  chocolate mousse.  Not light in terms of calories, but light in feel and one would only serve a small amount.

We call then flat dumplings in my area.  If done right they are tender and light.  Flat dumplings can be difficult to master.  If you overwork them, then you will have tough, slimy things.  I always make mashed potatoes with my chicken and dumplings. I would probably also make green beans and a salad.  Fried apples, as the PP mentioned, sound good too.

I would take brownies and ice cream over banana pudding any day.

I didn't read all the responses.   I have never eaten chicken and dumplings but I know that a dumpling is a bread-like substance so I would not serve it with a lot more carbs.   I'd serve lightly sauteed green beans and/or a green salad.  I'd probably have bread or biscuits on the side even though they are not needed, because to me "company for dinner" includes bread on the side.

But whatever you do, stick with the brownies and ice cream. 

I grew up with chicken and dumplings and was never a fan, though I now like Cracker Barrel's version, but no chicken and dumpling I've eaten out or made at home compares to Tyler Florence's chicken and dumplings, which I probably found via a reference on this board.  Just had them last night, in fact.  Don't be deterred by the 4 hour prep time; most of that is waiting on the chicken to cook, and none of the steps is difficult or persnickety; it is just a lot of steps.  I personally hate to debone chicken, but my husband loves deboning and loves this recipe, so that helps.