Menu

School-at-home, offensive term?

Do you think the term school-at-home can be considered offensive?  I know many homeschoolers try to avoid recreating public school at home, so it seems they may not like other homeschoolers to say this to them.  What about if someone believes their method is the only way and everyone else's is school-at-home.  Would you be offered?  I am mostly just talking about homeschoolers saying this to other homeschoolers.

I've used Calvert School which is very much school-at-home.  We're just putting together stuff now and it's more or less school-at-home.  It works for us and the phrase does not offend me.  What has offended me in the past is the *tone* with which some people have said school-at-home and the elaboration about how that's not "real" homeschooling.

I think it is used as a negative term in  homeschool circles. I think homeschooling can make it seem like the worst thing to use a text/workbook method with your child, and that other methods are superior.  I have seen it promote a lot of guilt and anxiety for moms who use this method because it is their sanity.  After all of these years of homeschooling, I don't care what anyone thinks of how I homeschool.  I do what works and if that offends certain purists of whatever method, so be it. 

I hope I don't offend anyone, but I've seen it used mostly by older homeschoolers, who I think put a lot of elbow grease into creating great educations for their children at a time when there was absolutely nothing available for the homeschool market, and are now disdainful of all the younguns who have it so easy.

I don't think that it NEEDS to be a derisive statement, but I think I've mostly heard it used as such. 

Are you talking about being a public student using something like k12 at home? I have seen people be very offended when people point out that they are public school students and not legally classified as homeschoolers.

Or are you talking about a spectrum of homeschooling philosophies with radical unschooling be one end of the spectrum and traditional school at home at the other? I think those are simply ways of communicating an underlying approach. I have known lots of families over the yrs that have used purely Seton. Their approach is traditional schoolwork completed at home. We don't do traditional schoolwork at home. It is different.

We have been friends for 20 yrs and our conversations recognize that our approaches are not teaching the same things in different ways bc we are very often teaching different things in the first place. They use that term to describe themselves when discussing our different approaches with new homeschoolers, whereas I say that what we do is harder to explain. :) We all acknowledge that none of us would be happy living in the others shoes. They love Seton and Seton would completely overwhelm me and stress me out.

I think it has two meanings, a person who makes a schoolroom in her house and follows the school schedule and methods with a boxed curriculum, public students at home using virtual k-12. I think online it's used as a descriptive. I've read that some co-ops use it to be judgy. When I read it on here I don't see it as judgy, just as descriptive of homeschooling philosophy in the first case, or describing the regulations and structure of the second.

Well, since my DD enjoys setting up our classroom and having a t-shirt with our school's name and a magnet on our minivan, we do school at home-but Mount Parnassus doesn't look or sound much like the elementary school across the street except for the cute little desk and decorated bulletin boards. I'm not offended by it.

Do you think the term school-at-home can be considered offensive?  I know many homeschoolers try to avoid recreating public school at home, so it seems they may not like other homeschoolers to say this to them.  What about if someone believes their method is the only way and everyone else's is school-at-home.  Would you be offered?  I am mostly just talking about homeschoolers saying this to other homeschoolers.

Some people will be offended over anything.

If someone is *not* trying to do school at home, well then of course she wouldn't like it if someone said that's what she was doing.

We *all* believe our "methods" are the best...for us.

Someone who thinks her method is the only way and everyone else is doing school-at-home is just not paying attention.

FTR, I absolutely would NOT want to do school-at-home. If you came to me for advice, and you were doing school at home, I would give you some ideas on ways to do things differently, because if you were happy doing school-at-home you wouldn't be asking for my advice. If you're happy with what you're doing, then I'd just shrug and think to myself, "Poor thing. She'll see the error of her ways some day," and smile and move on. :-)

When it is used by a homeschooler about another homeschool family, yes, it is meant to be offensive.  It was tossed about on a recent thread here in the exact situation you describe - their way is the right way, and everyone else is doing <shudder> school-at-home.  That doesn't mean I have to be offended by it, though :001_smile:

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate all your views.  I love reading threads here because of all the great thoughts.  This particular situation is a group of homeschoolers who treat their method like a religion and think the rest are doing it wrong.  If fact I think many are not aware of all the other methods.  Many had never heard the Well Trained Mind when I mentioned it when I first moved here. Thanks for your thoughts, I will try not to be offended and just realize they are uninformed.

Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate all your views.  I love reading threads here because of all the great thoughts.  This particular situation is a group of homeschoolers who treat their method like a religion and think the rest are doing it wrong.  If fact I think many are not aware of all the other methods.  Many had never heard the Well Trained Mind when I mentioned it when I first moved here. Thanks for your thoughts, I will try not to be offended and just realize they are uninformed.

Oh, I bet I know which group that is, because they were around when *I* was homeschooling. :glare:  There's no excuse, in today's world, to be unaware of other methods and materials and whatnot. They have chosen to stay where they are.

I wouldn't blame you for making a concentrated effort to find some other hsers...

That says a LOT about them.  And nothing about what other homeschoolers choose to do.

I think homeschoolers using that term against other homeschoolers mean it in a negative way. Personally, I wouldn't be offended by the term since nobody knows exactly what we are doing at home or how I am presenting new information. I would not want to be part of a group that was regularly judging and insulting my methods though. It is a rude thing to do.

When I hear people use that term, it seems rather condescending. I do "school-at-home" and I'm not ashamed. We do school in the morning. My kid need the structure. We can't sleep in, and then do whatever, and then do math in the car and history before bed. We'd never get anything done. We have a structured, scheduled morning. We do Bible, then Greek, then spelling and Language Arts and math. After lunch it's history/Science, Latin and then the school day is done and the kids play and I do my thing. Maybe I'm just being defensive (probably am), but sometimes I get a sense that because I am not a relaxed homeschooler there's something wrong with me. I'm not quite as good as everyone else. And what's worse, I have been known to use A Beka.

When I hear people use that term, it seems rather condescending. I do "school-at-home" and I'm not ashamed. We do school in the morning. My kid need the structure. We can't sleep in, and then do whatever, and then do math in the car and history before bed. We'd never get anything done. We have a structured, scheduled morning. We do Bible, then Greek, then spelling and Language Arts and math. After lunch it's history/Science, Latin and then the school day is done and the kids play and I do my thing. Maybe I'm just being defensive (probably am), but sometimes I get a sense that because I am not a relaxed homeschooler there's something wrong with me. I'm not quite as good as everyone else. And what's worse, I have been known to use A Beka.

Beware, beware! The evil school at home-er!

I think it is pretty sad when people can not just be content with the way they have chosen to educate their own kids that they must put down someone else just because they opt for a schedule etc.  I was used to hearing the school at home comments in the city where almost all homeschoolers I knew irl were unschoolers, and got used to it etc.  Now though I have been relegated to be seen as even worse than merely a school-at-home-er, now I am a high school school-at-home-er being completely evil and oppressive because I am making my kids get the provincial diploma and formally graduate high school.  The reaction out here to that is akin to saying I am teaching such classes as skinning cats and worshipping satan at times it seems. 

I use the term neutrally and frequently.  Keep in mind that I also write articles and do mini workshops and and am working on a workshop for a convention that covers the roughly 8 different approaches to homeschooling (traditional school or school at home is one along with 3 subcategories of Classical Education, 2 subcategories of Unschooling, Unit Studies and Living Books. )

To clarify: I use the term for people who do school in a box with age/grade levels and workbooks and textbooks and who value standardized tests.  Many of these types also do desks and the pledge of allegiance before school too. Mom tends to lecture at a whiteboard and even assigns homework after school. That's how it's used in my area most of the time. 

Since the vast majority of people I encounter who don't homeschool assume homeschooling is school at home and the vast majority of homeschoolers I meet start out as school at homers, it's important to make the distinction when having related discussions because it's important to clarify terms in a discussion-especially with people who have a high probability of having a misconception about something.  So many people get into homeschooling without doing much research about their options that they are genuinely surprised to find out that not only are there other options, but a lot of other options.  Some go on to choose those other options and others decide to continue to school at home. even the few that are aware of other options often have no concept at all of how to not do school at home. So, it's a very useful term.

I also discuss why school at home is a good option for some people (and of course, why the others are good options for some people.)  Some school at homers are homeschooling in the short term and want smoother transitions in and out of an institutional setting.  Some have convictions, after exploring the other approaches that school at home is the best option for education either in general.  Others simply want to stick with what's familiar.  Others particularly like a school at home curriculum best after comparing it to other school at home options and other homeschooling approaches.  Some have kids that thrive in a school at home type education. I know several school at homers who use the term for themselves in a matter of fact way.

I have no patience for people who assume everyone else should assume everything they do is a good or valid choice. That gets truer the longer you homeschool, by the way.  Other people don't like Classical Trivium Education mixed with Living Books in Unit study form they way I do it for lots of reasons.  So what?  They don't have to like what I do nor are they obligated to  say something like, "Well if it works for your family blah blah blah..."  I'm perfectly comfortable with people having convictions about homeschooling, education, politics, lifestyles, parenting styles, religious views, denominational views, philosophical views, etc. that are flat out contrary to mine.  They are free to say so with as much passion as they feel in front of me and it doesn't affect me negatively at all in any way. 

Welcome to life in a free society. I don't need external approval and I'm raising my children that way too. When mine come to me  whining that someone said something negative about homeschoolers or homeschooling I simply say in a matter of fact tone, "They're entitled to their opinions just like you're entitled to yours."  When they respond with, "But what they said isn't true!"  I respond matter of factly, "You're right.  And they're still entitled to think it and say it.  Just like you're free to correct them or not. What do we care what they think? Are they in charge of our lives?  Why would I give them power over myself by getting upset over a philosophical disagreement?"

To clarify: I use the term for people who do school in a box with age/grade levels and workbooks and textbooks and who value standardized tests.  Many of these types also do desks and the pledge of allegiance before school too. Mom tends to lecture at a whiteboard and even assigns homework after school. 

:001_smile: Yes, I realize you used "many", not all, but let me share my experience: 

I use a boxed curriculum (Seton Home Study School). I never stand in front of a school board or in front of my student at all. I am sitting with her wherever we land, and we talk through the material.

I don't lecture,

I don't assign home work, we don't value standardized tests.

We don't use school desks, and we don't say the pledge of allegiance.

However, we are constantly called "school at home". I think us "school at homer's" are much more varied than this.

One can use these things and not be replicating public school at home. 

I personally feel that the only time it is used in the circles I run in, it is derisive and something that "true" home educators will grow out of. It's seen as a stepping stone, a crutch, or a lower form of education and that one must "wake up" and get out of it to be truly a home educator.  I DO feel this attitude here at WTM pretty strongly.

Am I offended by it? I used to be. Now, I guess I realize that there are much more offensive things in the world, but I do grow tired of the assumption that I'm not truly an 'educator' unless I plan my own lesson plans, curriculum, and go it on my own. 

I'm not offended by it. While we use an eclectic mix of materials, I'm very "traditionally scholastic" (lol) - or, rather, school-at-home. I'm cool with that.

You're right. We should just own the moniker...turn it into something positive even when someone else is trying to put us down with it, eh? ;)

I don't find the term offensive. There are somewhat would call us school-at-home people. We use some boxed curriculum. In high school, we will almost exclusively use Kolbe's lesson plans. I stand at a black-board to "lecture" (really, demonstrate and teach concepts). I also sit on a couch next to my kids, read numerous books out loud to them that don't come from a box, and allow them to waste too much time. ;) I feel the term is yet another way one group can try to make themselves feel like they are doing things right but insinuating others are doing it wrong. When it is used derisively, I see it more of an issue with the one saying it - they are not confident in what they are doing so they must try to make another feel inferior. 

Well, I was all set to proudly type that we school at home.  Now that I've read some of the descriptions of school at home, I don't know what the heck we do. :D

Ha ha ha!!! I think that's the point: EVERYONE is educating their children at home, we just use different methods, tools, and ways to educate them. 

I don't think we should be value judging ANY person's style - even if we vehemently disagree with it. 

I call myself highly eclectic, but at first glance a lot of unschoolers or charlotte mason-y types would probably see me as school at home until they see our science and history plans, as my methods tend to vary drastically from subject to subject. Its usually used as a term to indicate a stage new homeschoolers are expected to grow out of, but plenty never do.

You're right. We should just own the moniker...turn it into something positive even when someone else is trying to put us down with it, eh? ;)

Yep - own it. Heck, I do one better and make their tongues hang out. We do... formal pre-k (in many homeschool communities, this is akin to child abuse, I think).

I have heard it used derisively, but IMO, that is an unnecessary connotation. Some families *do* school at home. Some don't. 

If school at home is what you want, great. Go for it. It's wonderful that we have that option. 

If you have no desire to replicate a classroom setting, don't. There is no need to do so.

I remember visiting with a friend when my oldest was a tiny little kindergartener armed with a handful of workbooks and the public library. She was raving on and on about her school-in-a-box. Everything was chosen for her, complete with a schedule of what to do when on what days taped to the wall. And it only cost <ten times my budget>! She loved it. I cried. 

Now, I would say we fall somewhere in the middle. Whether we look schooly or not depends where you are standing. 

I would personally not take offense if someone referred to us as school at home, because I see it as a reflection of their unique perspective and not as a judgement on the validity of my children's education.

I'm not offended by that either.  I was more offended that people were talking about a woman they considered their friend behind her back.  That they were homeschoolers bashing another homeschooler for her methods.  Not that I expect all homeschoolers to love me because I'm a homeschooler, but come on throw me a freaking bone here.  LOL

Yeah, dissing another friend behind their back is the lowest of lows. I agree with you. 

This has been an interesting discussion.   I have never thought of the term as in reference to sitting at desks, timed, teacher at white board, etc.    I have always heard people use it reference to boxed programs like Seton and Calvert.

And Susan, while I would send my kids to a private school before I would use Seton b/c I literally can not cope with teaching that way, with the exception of a very small handful of other families, the only families that approach academics with the same sense of academic commitment that we have are Seton users.   So, while we are on opposite ends of methodology, we tend to be the ones that get along the best b/c of unwillingness to be randomly available or wanting to do stuff all the time in the afternoons.   (They have my respect b/c I couldn't do it.  :) )

This has been an interesting discussion.   I have never thought of the term as in reference to sitting at desks, timed, teacher at white board, etc.    I have always heard people use it reference to boxed programs like Seton and Calvert.

And Susan, while I would send my kids to a private school before I would use Seton b/c I literally can not cope with teaching that way, with the exception of a very small handful of other families, the only families that approach academics with the same sense of academic commitment that we have are Seton users.   So, while we are on opposite ends of methodology, we tend to be the ones that get along the best b/c of unwillingness to be randomly available or wanting to do stuff all the time in the afternoons.   (They have my respect b/c I couldn't do it.  :) )

I appreciate that (in italics) , and I agree.

To the bolded, Additionally, what I'm saying is that you don't HAVE to teach that way to do Seton. I have never done the pledge, had her sit at a school desk, lecture in front of a white board, etc...There is no way mandated to teach. That's the point I'm trying to make. You can teach however you want to.

We do learning at the library, at the preserve, going to a farm to learn about animals, learn the chemistry of Apple Cider making by going to an Apple Farm...using DVD's, experiential learning in a myriad of ways. 

I just don't understand the thought process that a box MUST BE public schooling in a box and done as if a child is in the classroom. Not one single worksheet has to be done if you as the parent doesn't deem it to be helpful to your child. The ONLY requirement is that the information on the test they give you are learned. It doesn't matter how you get there. 

I appreciate that (in italics) , and I agree.

To the bolded, Additionally, what I'm saying is that you don't HAVE to teach that way to do Seton. I have never done the pledge, had her sit at a school desk, lecture in front of a white board, etc...There is no way mandated to teach. That's the point I'm trying to make. You can teach however you want to.

We do learning at the library, at the preserve, going to a farm to learn about animals, learn the chemistry of Apple Cider making by going to an Apple Farm...using DVD's, experiential learning in a myriad of ways. 

I just don't understand the thought process that a box MUST BE public schooling in a box and done as if a child is in the classroom. Not one single worksheet has to be done if you as the parent doesn't deem it to be helpful to your child. The ONLY requirement is that the information on the test they give you are learned. It doesn't matter how you get there. 

I think you don't understand b/c you envision academics in terms of school or maybe a definition of what makes up a subject??   Our academics do not resemble Seton in any way, shape, or form.   I do not use textbooks.   I don't give tests.   I don't like any programs' plans, assignments, questions, etc.   Like I said, I don't associate it with *how* you are teaching.   It is *what* and *with what* and *how academics are evaluated* that is contrary to our academic approach.

For example, my 9th grader and I have spent the last 6 weeks on a King Arthur binge and it is probably going to last another 6-8 weeks.    The course is developing as we go along.   It was given birth to from our study of Tolkien and LOTR.   We started reading Tolkien's newly published Fall of Arthur.     That has lead to a historical comparison of Arthurian legends and we are gettingready to read Sir Gawain and the Greene Knight, Lady of the Lake, and Idylls of the King.   (eta:  but you also need to toss in our continued studies of Tolkien and what influenced him (like Norse mythology, the Iliad, etc) and an additional short story study we are doing with her older brother.......it doesn't fit anyone's vision but our own. :) )

Our academic approach is purely organic like that.   We design what we study/learn.   You can't find it in a box and a boxed curriculum makes me feel like I am trapped in a straight jacket.    For other people, not having something planned and open-ended like what we do is overwhelming and stressful.   But, the approaches are absolutely not remotely similar and definitely do need to be described with different terminology.

I think you don't understand b/c you envision academics in terms of school or maybe subjects??   Our academics do not resemble Seton in any way, shape, or form.   I do not use textbooks.   I don't give tests.   I don't like any programs' plans, assignments, questions, etc.   Like I said, I don't associate it with *how* you are teaching.   It is *what* and *with what* and *how academics are evaluated* that is contrary to our academic approach.

For example, my 9th grader and I have spent the last 6 weeks on a King Arthur binge and it is probably going to last another 6-8 weeks.    The course is developing as we go along.   I was given birth to from our study of Tolkien and LOTR.   We started reading Tolkien's newly published Fall of Arthur.     That has lead to a historical comparison of Arthurian legends and we are getting to read Sir Gawain and the Greene Knight, Lady of the Lake, and Idylls of the King.   (eta:  but you also need to toss in our continued studies of Tolkien and what influenced him (like Norse mythology) and an additional short story study we are doing with her older brother.......it doesn't fit anyone's vision but our own. :) )

Our academic approach is purely organic like that.   We design what we study/learn.   You can't find it in a box and a boxed curriculum makes me feel like I am trapped in a straight jacket.    For other people, not having something planned and open-ended like what we do is overwhelming and stressful.   But, they are absolutely not remotely similar and definitely do need to be described with different terminology.

I get that about your methodology and way of envisioning learning in your home. I remember the last time we went around about Seton. In this instance, however,  was talking more in a general sense, not specifically towards what YOU do. Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough. For that, I apologize. 

*My* issue has more to do why people think "school in a box" means PUBLIC SCHOOL AT HOME and all it entails by the teaching style,, books used, and posture of the students". It just doesn't.

For ALL the people I know who use a box, it just isn't true. We vary subjects, methods, etc, we tailor to our child, we change levels and books if necessary, and do many things out of the realm or purview of the public school system's way of doing things. Your mileage may vary, and those you know who use Seton may be totally different. 

I think you're awesome for what you do for your kids. I would not deem to judge your style or how you feel that you can't find what you're looking for in a box. That's fine. I have no issue with that, and to be clear, I don't feel you are judging me or my style either. I hate writing because it just can't impart an open heart and a willingness to discuss. :)

Perhaps in the end, I just should have left your comments alone and moved on because all I've done is confuse the issue I was trying to explain. :(

Like most things, don't you think that homeschooling is on a continuum?  It can go from an one extreme of school-at-home encompassing materials, schedule and methodology to the other extreme of radical unschooling.  But just as all unschooling isn't radical, not all school-at-home is a home version of a school down to the desks and white boards.  Adding to the confusion, we are free to pick and choose, so I can "school at home" certain subjects while unschooling others.  As a descriptive term it needs further elaboration to be truly useful.  (This is true for brick and mortar schools too btw - not all schools are created equal.  I taught in one school that had no grades and no textbooks.)  

We use descriptive terms like this to try and peg people and to find a short-cut way of seeing if we might have something in common with them.  Unfortunately this isn't always accurate or helpful.  I much prefer to find some other way of finding out if we have something in common other than what kind of homeschooling they do.  But I have found that I usually have the least in common with people who are on either extreme of homeschooling, just as I tend to have the least in common with people who are on the extremes of anything else for that matter.  

I get that about your methodology and way of envisioning learning in your home. I remember the last time we went around about Seton. In this instance, however,  was talking more in a general sense, not specifically towards what YOU do. Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough. For that, I apologize. 

*My* issue has more to do why people think "school in a box" means PUBLIC SCHOOL AT HOME and all it entails by the teaching style,, books used, and posture of the students". It just doesn't.

For ALL the people I know who use a box, it just isn't true. We vary subjects, methods, etc, we tailor to our child, we change levels and books if necessary, and do many things out of the realm or purview of the public school system's way of doing things. Your mileage may vary, and those you know who use Seton may be totally different. 

I think you're awesome for what you do for your kids. I would not deem to judge your style or how you feel that you can't find what you're looking for in a box. That's fine. I have no issue with that. 

Perhaps in the end, I just should have left your comments alone and moved on because all I've done is confuse the issue I was trying to explain. :(

I still don't think you understand.   You may vary a subject or change a level or book, but if you don't want to use what is in Seton's box, why would spend the money on it?   There must be something about Seton's materials that you like and draws you to use them.  

FWIW, I don't know why you brought judgment regarding style even into the conversation.   You said in the post that I responded to that you couldn't understand why people consider anything school at home.   I tried to explain to you my perspective.   Seton's materials are traditional school materials with adaptations for using them at home.   I was part of a homeschool group for many years where a lot of the families used Seton.   We had a Catholic homeschooling conference every yr and Seton was the conference.   I am very familiar with the materials and families that have been using them for decades and have graduated their kids with Seton.   Seton provides a great education.   It is just a very different education from what I am providing my kids.  

I don't know why you find it offensive to delineate differences that are very real.   Simply altering assignments and a few materials doesn't completely alter the approach.  

Most Seton users do believe that Seton's materials are traditional academics.  :)   It is what they want.   Keeping It Catholic was a huge force in promoting traditional Catholic education amongst Catholic homeschoolers. 

ETA:  it is very difficult to have a conversation about things if there isn't some way of defining what is being discussed.   Simply "homeschooling" doesn't help b/c it is meaningless as a basis of reference when the spectrum of homeschoolers is so diverse.

Sigh...again, my apologies. I haven't explained myself well enough if you feel I am offended when, like you, I am again simply trying to explain myself just as you are about yourself and your approach. May God bless you and your endeavors with your children's education. 

And BTW, go back and read my post and the time stamp of editing if you so desire...You missed something very important in what I said. There was no attitude of judgment or thought that you were judging me either. 

I still don't think you understand.   You may vary a subject or change a level or book, but if you don't want to use what is in Seton's box, why would spend the money on it?   There must be something about Seton's materials that you like and draws you to use them.  

FWIW, I don't know why you brought judgment regarding style even into the conversation.   You said in the post that I responded to that you couldn't understand why people consider anything school at home.   I tried to explain to you my perspective.   Seton's materials are traditional school materials with adaptations for using them at home.   I was part of a homeschool group for many years where a lot of the families used Seton.   We had a Catholic homeschooling conference every yr and Seton was the conference.   I am very familiar with the materials and families that have been using them for decades and have graduated their kids with Seton.   Seton provides a great education.   It is just a very different education from what I am providing my kids.  

I don't know why you find it offensive to delineate differences that are very real.   Simply altering assignments and a few materials doesn't completely alter the approach.  

Most Seton users do believe that Seton's materials are traditional academics.  :)   It is what they want.   Keeping It Catholic was a huge force in promoting traditional Catholic education amongst Catholic homeschoolers. 

ETA:  it is very difficult to have a conversation about things if there isn't some way of defining what is being discussed.   Simply "homeschooling" doesn't help b/c it is meaningless as a basis of reference when the spectrum of homeschoolers is so diverse.

I think the number one context in which I've heard that phrase is people saying something like, "Our first year, we were definitely very school at home and we're trying to get away from that."  So that's part of why I have trouble not seeing it as a negative.  I've seen it put that way so often.

For people who use more traditional school materials, I tend to think of them as "schoolish" or "traditional" or something.  Maybe it just needs a different, also clear, term.

I know it can be meant as a dig, but I always take it as a positive. You bet we do school at home, academically accelerated, broad and deep, school at home, which is hard work, and totally worth it for us, but might not be for another, which is kinda the point.

School at home seems to be a jab from those who do not do as much, or feel the need to explain their chosen approach, for which maybe they feel they aren't doing enough. There are some radical unschoolers we see around us who are big on "we don't DO school." Whatev.

Sigh...again, my apologies. I haven't explained myself well enough if you feel I am offended when, like you, I am again simply trying to explain myself just as you are about yourself and your approach. May God bless you and your endeavors with your children's education. 

And BTW, go back and read my post and the time stamp of editing if you so desire...You missed something very important in what I said. There was no attitude of judgment or thought that you were judging me either. 

I get what you are saying. You may use a boxed curriculum but you fit the curriculum to your child not the other way around.  Even school at home or school in a box can be more flexible than brick and mortar school.  You can change things, add things, do things differently, go at the pace you need, etc. 

Are you talking about being a public student using something like k12 at home? I have seen people be very offended when people point out that they are public school students and not legally classified as homeschoolers.

Which always perplexes me -- and I saw a news story on a local station about K-12, and the representative was very clear that this is not homeschooling.

This is so enlightening! When people ask my son if he's in kindergarten, he says he homeschools but I respond that we school at home. I had no idea it meant anything other than I educate my son at home. We are structured but only for about 3 hours 3 days a week. I am a cross between classical and cm and I piece together our curriculum. My degree is in education and I was a teacher at ps (gasp!!) until my son was 2 1/2.

I think it is nearly impossible for anyone homeschooling to do "school at home" - some may use textbooks, some may have a desk, some may have a certain routine that may resemble part of school... but school is so much more than just what is used to educate.

Firstly no homeschooler I know has 20-40 children of the same age in their home. None of them have to travel to school since its in the home. No two schools use the same materials in the same way anyway. Homeschooling even if it highly resembles school in its curricular choices, automatically has more individual attention and therefore is more likely to get the curriculum adapted to suit the child which will make it less school-like.

Yes, the term is used in a derogatory fashion. What I would want to know is why the person using it feels the need to - can't they just be happy with their own way of educating their children without needing to put anyone else down - that shows some form of insecurity about what themselves are doing. It is a parents responsibility to educate their child - in the best way they think will work for them all. While I might suggest something if someone asked or tell then what worked for me, it is not my job to judge them.

We have a room for homeschooling in our house, but we do education in whatever room we like. We do stick pictures on the walls as my children like that and have a place to display what they have done - ok many spaces, most of the house is covered in their pictures. We do do some seatwork, we do use some curriculum, we do print out some worksheets and use them. We do try to do seatwork in the mornings (unless I am working). But we also use any book for education (not just textbooks), we talk about things when out and about and call it homeschool, we let the children decide what they want to learn some of the time, we cuddle in the lounge for read alouds and for when the children are readings, sometimes education takes place when they are in the bath or going to bed. Sometimes we snack during seat work and sometimes I do not let them. I think it is hard to define and I would hope that every homeschool is slightly different from another because if not it will not be what is best for that particular family since we are all different.

I think I *want* to be a school-at-homer. :)

Let me explain. 

I started out as an unschooler. That was the culture of my friends when my oldest was born, and I learned a lot from that culture as far as natural childbirth, AP parenting, breastfeeding and so on as well as homeschooling.

But it simply didn't work in practice for us. I wanted to *do* something, and the advice I kept getting was they don't *do* things. In reality they were doing and learning a ton of things, and it seemed so organic and nice, but my personality wanted to *know* what we were going to *do* and when for math, history, lang arts etc. I wanted to "teach" my children things, I did not want to wait until anyone showed an interest in something.

It eventually got to a point where simply asking for a history resource was cause for arguing with me. 

So I feel the term "school-at-home", broad as it is, can be considered insulting depending on where it's coming from. I felt offended that my simple desire to research, plan, and use curriculum for various subjects was looked at as fodder for all kinds of putting me down. That's what I considered insulting.

I also have had it work the other way. I have meant traditional "school-at-home" or even just simply "homeschooling" parents, regardless of methods used, speak the term "unschooler" in an insulting way.

It's really quite a shame actually considering that all the various methods and nuances of homeschooling can be so helpful and enlightening if the labels were stripped away.

I think the term school at home is usually reserved for boxed curriculum....but then again what is a boxed curriculum? That's an ongoing discussion.

My DH recently suggested the idea of tearing down our garage and building us a school room. I could faint at the thought. I'm giving it serious consideration. We'll see. I like my garage storage too. ;)

I LOVE the idea of a little one room school room just for me, with book shelves and a white board, and a table for the kids, and workboxes everywhere and cozy reading corners.

Maybe I'll ring a little bell and and even have recess. I'm only slightly joking. If done in a playful spirit it sounds like a load of fun. 

I definitely have a routine for my kids. We're not a slave to it. We have and will drop it for something more interesting.

I like to use open and go and scheduled (or somewhat scheduled, easily scheduled) programs for the most part any more. There are a few exceptions, but usually I like to have a rough plan. I do expect my children to do their school work. We do however willingly follow rabbit trails. 

I also (gasp) do preschool at home.

I also (gasp) use some made for public school textbooks (even though I adore CM....) because I have found a few that work well for us. I have also been victim of the smirk from irl homeschoolers when I mention said textbooks, but I don't care. 

So eclectic may very well be a good term. For me it depends very much on the subject. Some things are best learned in a very relaxed, unschooly way, and some other things need to be scheduled out daily for us to get done. For me it's more important finding the resources and techniques that appeal and grasp my children's attention than being married to any particular homeschool method.

I don't try to justify it to anyone. It is what works for us (at the moment) and if they want to look down on any part of it, that's their personal character flaw to deal with. 

For the OP I think that there are certain  homeschoolers where it may be best to talk about neutral topics and not homeschool topics.