Menu

Are bangs out? (in hair I mean) Feel free to give me advice!

PeterPan

Anybody know?  It has been a while since I had a trim or haircut, and I'm thinking of getting one.  Last time it was cut, last May/June, the lady put in these layers that made it look like a weedwacker hit my head and trimmed it overall to shoulder length.  I told her to make me look 50 pounds lighter, and that's what happened.   :lol:   So I'm the same weight but have the weedwacker look grown out to say my shoulder blades.  My bangs I had been trimming, but lately I've been letting them go even, so they're about nose-length.  I notice in the models on the clothing sites (CJ Banks, for instance) they all have hair past their shoulders in layers and longish bangs.  

I'm rather short for a woman (5'5 1/2") and pleasantly plump, which might be why she picked that length?  I don't know.  I don't want to go back in and get another weedwacker job if that's totally out.  Is long and layered only for TALL people?  I admit when I look at myself in the mirror I look sorta short in my current get-ups.  I even went out and bought some shoes with heels on them, haha, thinking that might help.   :D  A lot of female movie stars are short, so it's not like it's required to be tall to look good.  

Oh, if you've seen my fb pic (which a bunch of people on here have, no I'm not linking), then that's one of the iterations of the weedwacker look on me.  Actually, I think she took it even shorter than that, if you can imagine.  I know to go to somebody good, but she is.  She's the top lady at the JCP salon, and she seems to stay up to date, etc.  Her taste is just sorta short and spiky I guess.  She can do a softer look or leave it longer if I ask, but then I feel like I'm getting the 2nd best, the haircut you get when you aren't willing to do what would actually make you look good, kwim?  

Or maybe I'm just having haircut angst.   :lol:

So what do you suggest?  Are bangs out?  If you're around my height, do you wear your hair longish?  My dd says I'm too old for it and am trying to look like a teenager.  I say I wanna look like Sue Bryce...  It's a shame when our ideas and our bodies' don't matchup...

sue-bryce

I'm rather short for a woman (5'5 1/2") and pleasantly plump, which might be why she picked that length?  I don't know.  I don't want to go back in and get another weedwacker job if that's totally out.  Is long and layered only for TALL people?  I admit when I look at myself in the mirror I look sorta short in my current get-ups.  I even went out and bought some shoes with heels on them, haha, thinking that might help.   :D  A lot of female movie stars are short, so it's not like it's required to be tall to look good.

FYI -- You're nowhere near short.  You're above average in height.

The average height for an adult female in the U.S. is 63.8 inches (or just a smidge less than 5'4").

Well thank you for that!  I think it's living with two people taller than me.  You start to feel short and they pound it into your head  you are.  :D

So why do they make all the models on the web and in catalogs and stuff TALL?  I'll look at a skirt and the site will disclose that it's being shown on a model that is 5'10"!!!  There's no way it will look the same on me, mercy.  

Well thank you for that! I think it's living with two people taller than me. You start to feel short and they pound it into your head you are. :D

I know what you mean. I'm almost 5'9" and have always felt short since all my sisters and my mother are taller than I am. Height can be relative. :)

I was going to say - I'm also 5' - 5 1/2" and I always thought it was average.

I wear bangs because I personally look awful without bangs.  My hair is about shoulder blade length and I have long layers.  Longer than they were meant to be since I haven't had a haircut in a while, but it's still layered.  I trim my own bangs in what is probably a very old-fashioned straight across about eye level.  I do have a habit of running my hands through it constantly so it doesn't LOOK straight across.

I totally get what you mean by the weedwhacker look.  My hair is super thick and if it's not done right, it sticks out everywhere.  Short layers are awful in my hair.  They have to stay at least long enough for the weight to help keep them controlled.

I hope bangs aren't out since I could never do without mine to cover my enormous forehead! I like longish side bangs on most people. I think that heavy, true fringe is hard to pull off.

I remember my stylist once saying that 90% of women look better with some kind of bangs. Of course, that was just his opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

I know what you mean. I'm almost 5'9" and have always felt short since all my sisters and my mother are taller than I am. Height can be relative. :)

I truly AM short.  Well south of 5'.  Everybody is taller than me.  But I rarely feel short.  I just feel . . . normal.  Okay, so maybe when I'm trying to reach something on a high shelf or cabinet.  But that's about the only time.

I totally get what you mean by the weedwhacker look.  My hair is super thick and if it's not done right, it sticks out everywhere.  Short layers are awful in my hair.  They have to stay at least long enough for the weight to help keep them controlled.

My hair is the same.  It's very thick and short layers just don't do right.

As far as bangs being in or not -- I don't really care.  I like 'em, so I'm keeping mine. ;)

I think light bangs or side bangs can be very attractive. Heavy bangs tend to overpower the face.

Heavy bangs can draw attention to the eyes, if they are just the right thickness/length for your face.

Trimming them is no biggie.  I lay down paper-towel on the vanity (to catch the mess), and trim away.

fwiw - I LOVE a blunt bob, above the shoulder, with blunt bangs. It's easypeasy to style.  It's classic.  It draws attention to the eyes/nose/mouth...and away from chubby cheeks, double chin...

I need bangs-- for some reason when I don't (or have long ones that pull back and show my forehead) people think I am mad.  I can be perfectly happy and people are afraid to approach me.  With bangs, people quit asking me if I am mad.

Wow, and I always thought you were so normal...   :lol:   That's amazing the transformation and it's a good thing it works for you!  

Well we'll see what she does to me.  It seems like bangs are both going out and coming back, not prevalent but very common, and that self-confidence is the goal.  :D

Bangs will immediately make you look five years younger.  I always have bangs.  I keep them long, and sometimes swept to the side.  I go to a very trendy salon for my cut and color, and they are most definitely still in.  Not that it matters...you should wear what looks good on you and what makes you happy. 

Here's a quick article on bangs (and their life transforming powers :D ) http://www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty/hairstyles-with-bangs

Bangs will immediately make you look five years younger.  I always have bangs.  I keep them long, and sometimes swept to the side.  I go to a very trendy salon for my cut and color, and they are most definitely still in.  Not that it matters...you should wear what looks good on you and what makes you happy. 

Here's a quick article on bangs (and their life transforming powers :D ) http://www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty/hairstyles-with-bangs

I've been told that after 40, it's either bangs or Botox. I feel like such a renegade, as I have neither. Yet. :)

Bangs are coming back in various permutations, not just side bangs. (Think Nell on NCIS: Los Angeles). Had a long discussion with the hair dresser. I compromised and went with some layers; a few strands won't fit in the ponytail, and they give me just enough to resist the call of bangs for now. I am tired of my aging forehead, but I hate trimming bangs too. I also have amazing cowlicks in the front which complicate the matter.

younger?

Hello, I'm getting bangs!

I had my haircut back in Nov in longish side bangs. I have gotten so many compliments, mostly about how I look younger. And it’s not always hair-related comments, just more “you look nice today†compliments. I still have a fair amount of grey in my hair and it’s interesting to me that the cut has made such a difference even without coloring it. 

And it makes me wonder how bad I looked before. :)

It's done, and I'm adorable!!! Super pleased . She put the layers back in and left the bangs longer so the sweep to the side. She showed me again how to dry with a diffuser to bring out my waves ( dH doesn't like it straight) so I'm all set ! The bangs were complicated enough I'll have to come back to keep them up. At least I'm cute!

Elisabeth--

With your face shape and thick, curly hair I would recommend long hair. Bangs or not you will look good either way, but I would recommend a clean, off the face look of either no bangs or longish side bangs. With your love of hats, I think longer hair will look beautiful. JMHO.

Why are you not on my FB?  Get on and you can see how cute I look.  I took a pic at the salon.  Wasn't perfectly close, but it was good enough.  And yes, she left it relatively long.  Of course I asked her too, lol.  Dh likes my waves, so she set aside her penchant for straightening and went with that too.  She told me a new way to hot roller it, so that was nifty.  She said to make pigtails around my head, say 4, and then divide those up and hot roller just those ends.  That way I get defined waves without umping it even more than what I already have, lol.  You can just imagine me with the pigtails doing that.   :lol: 

Oh, get this.  She said she picks the length based on what makes my waves/curls bounce and release.  Here I thought it was because she thought I was fat and was trying to make me look better.   :lol:   She's such a flatterer.  :D  Anyways, I thought that was an interesting spin, and I didn't realize that was behind her logic.  I really thought it was sort of this diss, like yeah you gained 20 so give up and whack it off.  

Bangs are not out. They're making a comeback probably mostly because of Zooey Deschanel. So, if you go for bangs, you don't want curly 1980's bangs. If you want to look current you'll go for Zooey bangs--thick. You can probably get away with some whispier bangs as well. Check out the most current hairstyle books in the salon for bang styles just to be sure.

ETA: Whoops, just saw that you're already done at the salon.