Menu

7th Grade Planning

It is not so hard to start a Language as well to continue a foreign language.

Dutch-English-French is the minimum in Belgium (during grade 7-12), depending on your track (modern languages, math, sciences, classical etc.) one has/ hasn't additional languages.

This would be for a language oriented track.

Even if dd chose the Latin-Science track, we want her to know German as it is the 3rd official language of our country.

It doesn't feel special as it is pretty common here, and foreign languages aren't that difficult to her.

I love this.  I told my husband I wanted our kids to learn at least 3 languages in our homeschool and he thought that was outrageous, but I thought it would be an average education.

Which really brings me back to WHY we homeschool: expectations.

• Like 3

I have lined up:

History - Story of US plus interesting documentaries, films, etc...

English - US history DBQs for essay writing and literature with guides aligned with history topics

Math - Foerster Algebra

Science - Story of science Einstein with a bit of conceptual physics plus lots of activities

Geography - Mapping the world with art

French & electives - outsourced

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now that I have AoPS Algebra, I have to say, I really like it!  I'm finding it much more straightforward to work with - the way I am using it is for looking things up when I get to an Alcumus problem I can't tackle.  With the PreA book, I had a hard time finding what I needed in the book, but I'm finding it easily in the Algebra book. I'm also feeling more confident with my own abilities - I remember more Algebra than I thought I did! Yay!

And, Shannon has fallen in love with Zaccaro Real World Algebra, so she's going to finish out this year doing it (in addition to finishing JA) and starting the Understanding Geometry book I got from Critical Thinking Co., and starting to work with Alcumus.  So I'm hoping that - Alcumus plus Zaccaro - will help bridge the gap Pen was describing between JA and AoPS Algebra, and that we'll be able to use it next year.   I really like it.

I also got something new to add to our Short Story study for next year:  the new MP Poetry and Short Stories unit.  This is totally out of character for me, it was an impulse buy, I got it for the poetry part, and figured I might not like it and could return it.  But I'm super impressed with it and think we'll do the poetry this year and the short stories next year.  It's intense, and I realize it will demand more - and teach more - than I would doing this on my own.  It's totally secular and very good.  Unlike most lit guides I've looked at, there is a strong focus on Socratic-style questions, and developing a thesis, and great essay topics.  When I look at it beside Figuratively Speaking (which we used this year) it's definitely at a significantly higher level.  It looks more like a high-school level study to me, in fact.  But what do I know . . . 

• Like 2

Well, now that I have AoPS Algebra, I have to say, I really like it!  I'm finding it much more straightforward to work with - the way I am using it is for looking things up when I get to an Alcumus problem I can't tackle.  With the PreA book, I had a hard time finding what I needed in the book, but I'm finding it easily in the Algebra book. I'm also feeling more confident with my own abilities - I remember more Algebra than I thought I did! Yay!

And, Shannon has fallen in love with Zaccaro Real World Algebra, so she's going to finish out this year doing it (in addition to finishing JA) and starting the Understanding Geometry book I got from Critical Thinking Co., and starting to work with Alcumus.  So I'm hoping that - Alcumus plus Zaccaro - will help bridge the gap Pen was describing between JA and AoPS Algebra, and that we'll be able to use it next year.   I really like it.

I also got something new to add to our Short Story study for next year:  the new MP Poetry and Short Stories unit.  This is totally out of character for me, it was an impulse buy, I got it for the poetry part, and figured I might not like it and could return it.  But I'm super impressed with it and think we'll do the poetry this year and the short stories next year.  It's intense, and I realize it will demand more - and teach more - than I would doing this on my own.  It's totally secular and very good.  Unlike most lit guides I've looked at, there is a strong focus on Socratic-style questions, and developing a thesis, and great essay topics.  When I look at it beside Figuratively Speaking (which we used this year) it's definitely at a significantly higher level.  It looks more like a high-school level study to me, in fact.  But what do I know . . . 

Interesting!  Thank you for sharing your impression of the AoPS Algebra text. My son is struggling with Pre-A, and I assumed he'd not handle the Algebra well.

I made a few impulse buys from MP during their free shipping period, too.  I am so happy with all of it!  I got a few study guides for the 3rd grade level lit, just because I need to make sure my son is reading when I'm not sitting next to him.  I thought the guides would be full of comprehension questions.  There are some of those, but there's a lot more to the guides.  It seems-on the surface-that they are not really hard to answer, but he will have to do a bit of thinking to answer them.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure what we are doing. The following list has mostly been purchased. I need to get WWS2. I am considering getting an open and go literature program. I don't know what I am going to do for logic. I wanted everything decided within the next few weeks, though. I want everything purchased by next month. My goal is to have everything planned, printed, copied, and organized into booklets by the 1st week of July in case the baby comes a little early.

Composition: WWS2

Foreign Language: LfC C, Athenaze I

History: OUP Ancient Near East, Ancient Southeast Asia, Ancient China, possibly Ancient Egypt

Math: finish whatever she has left of PreA after working through the summer, begin algebra with a combination of Jacobs and AoPS

Literature: various books with Teaching the Classics, Walch's Prose & Poetry

Logic:

Music: Piano, Trumpet, Creekedge Press Task Cards

Science: Geology, Astronomy using various resources

UPDATE: I can't believe it's been that long already since I've written this post. Here I am, finalizing our 6th Year, and moving onto a "gap year" of sorts, another 6-7th grade so we can finish off, catch up, review, solidify concepts and skills. This way we'll have plenty of time for our history cycle and DS11 will graduate when he's 18 and not sooner. I have a gut feeling this student needs it. As result, I've modified 7th Grade Plans.

My DS won't be in 7th until the following year - 2016-2017. But can I play? I have a plan for 7th Grade already :)The interesting thing is, there are not many fundamental changes when we get there; from experience I can tell you there are going to be just some additions here and there. I know my DS quite well. He is very much like me, and I don't do well with materials I don't like to teach myself.

Here we go - at the risk of getting tomatoes thrown at me:

Math: Dolciani's Pre-Algebra 

Pick and choose from MM 7A and 7B worksheets for more practice, and Khan Academy, Alcumus, and AOPS videos when necessary

English: AttuneUp GrammarCracker, AttuneUp Middle Ages

Natural Science: BFSU 3 Middle School Science Education, Behold and See 5 and 6 (correlating topics) and The Sciences: An Integrated Approach. Also, he joins up with DD (by then 9 - oy!) in Nature Study weekly and will be reading living science books on the topics covered.

History: Dorothy Mills' history books The Middle Ages and The Renaissance & Reformation with relevant (medieval) sections from The Human Odyssey - Prehistory through the Middle Ages. What Life Was Like in The Age of Chivalry, The Age of Exploration, and What Life Was Like at The Rebirth of Genius. Round out with living books and biographies.

Literature: Crusade in Jeans, The King's Fifth, The Lord of the Rings, The Canterbury Tales, The Prince and the Pauper, My Side of the Mountain, The Hunger Games, Robinson Crusoe, Dracula, Bridge to Terabithia, Lord of the Flies

Read-Alouds: The Pilgrim's Progress and Kidnapped

Culture, Myths, and Legends: D'Aulaires Book of Norse Myths with younger DD, Aladdin and Other Favorite Arabian Nights Stories, and Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare. Also, biography of Shakespeare.

Geography: Evan-Moor's The Seven Continents: South America and NG's Family Reference Atlas of the World

Poetry: Poetry for Young People Series: William Blake, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and Robert Browning. Resource book: You CAN Teach Poetry.

Art & Music: The Usborne Introduction to Art and some sort of Art program incorporating Renaissance period study, motivations, neo-classical thought

Extracurriculars, unless something changes drastically: Taekwondo, Boy Scouts, basketball, swimming, summer sailing or other activity

• Like 1

I can't believe I'll have a 7th grader next year!

I've been flip-flopping so much about what we are going to do next year, but here are my current plans:

MATH:  Discovering Mathematics 3A-3B, plus either AoPS Geometry or Counting and Probability.

WRITING:  WWS2

SPELLING:  Scripps Spelling Bee prep with WordClub online, Paideia lists, and learning the dictionary, basically.

VOCAB:  Same as above...

GRAMMAR:  Easy Grammar Ultimate 8

LITERATURE:  Beowulf, Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Midsummer Night's Dream and Canterbury Tales (with MP Guides for most)

HISTORY:  Finish Human Odyssey, vol. 1 and begin Human Odyssey vol. 2 (covering medieval time period)

SCIENCE:  Holt Sci. & Tech. Earth & Space   Derek Owens PhySci

FRENCH:  not sure...maybe Holt Bien Dit + DuoLingo

COMPUTER PROGRAMMING:  KidCoder Web Design set or TeenCoder C# set

PIANO:  Succeeding at the Piano 

Final edit AND we started last week (so no more changes).

Math: finish Life of Fred Beginning Algebra. Probably moving on to Life of Fred Advanced Algebra (or whatever the heck it's called).  Continuous algebra review with other texts.

Easy Grammar Plus (she really likes this)

Science: Marine Biology, History of Medicine and Human Anatomy (using resources I just pulled together)

Second half of Notgrass' America the Beautiful (apparently, we will never finish this.  Ever.  She will be taking it to college with her.)

Booklist, writing, picture study and composer study from AO Year 6 + some Mark Twain

Rose, you just had to didn't you! :toetap05:

Maybe I'll get it for the Short Stories part. :p  :D

Still undecided here about 7th grade. I usually know for certain only about a third of the way into the year. Math might be another AoPS class but like science, it's still up in the air. We are enjoying the two Bill Messenger Great Courses very, very much and quite eager to start this course on Shakespeare and/ or this Shippey Great Course on Heroes and Legends. He will probably spend half his 7th grade year completing German 2 with OK State U (he took a break this semester to concentrate more fully on math). History might also be Great Courses-based.

Will continue with piano and possibly take up swimming again and/ or continue with dance. We are also looking into drama/ improv classes.

ETA: forgot to add that we will continue with Hake 7 for grammar and some of the writing exercises. And Vocab for Classical Roots because he loves it.

• Like 5

Quark,

the Shippey Great Course on Heroes and Legends looks like something both of my girls would love. Thanks for sharing it. My younger daughter is still in 5th but we'll be planning for 7th in the near future...too near I think. :)

• Like 2

:lol:

Here you go:

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/literature-and-poetry/poetry

I think the very newest books are totally different than the older ones - this one has a Pre-Grammar/Grammar/Logic/Rhetoric question/discussion section for each selection.  This is what I love - it really leads you gradually into a deeper and deeper analysis of the piece.  The older guides seem to have a vocab/comprehension question format.  That doesn't really impress me.  So I'm now poring through the samples to see if any of the other guides have this newer format.  It looks like the Sir Gawain and Beowulf guides do, I can't tell about some of the others.

• Like 3

Rose, do you have a link for the new MP unit?

(why oh why did I click on this thread...)

My thoughts exactly. Now I'm nearing the point of no return. . .hmm...where's my wallet. . .ah! there it is, right by the stack of books we haven't even used yet. . . might as well add to it . . . ;)

Rose, I might have missed this, but which one did you buy? I recently made the mistake of buying wrong editions, so now I'm trying to be extra careful. Thanks.

• Like 1

I have a few things decided and still thinking about some others

Composition: Classical Comp 3 and 4 

Literature:  MP 7th grade (I already have books from DD)

Math: Pre-Alg Lials + Math club

Latin: SFL on-line at MP

GreeK:  Elementary Greek 1

Science: I'm really unsure and he really likes science

thinking about Earth Science.  He really likes astronomy too.  I want to let him enjoy this subject.

MP Geography

Piano: lessons  

History: Middle Ages with various texts and books Ancient Greeks

Grammar: Finish AG 

Religion: right now we do CSIV with MP and read Relevant and America magazines. may continue

Handwriting: honestly we need to find something to improve the cursive

We've been in the process of moving and renovating our new house for the last six weeks, and I totally forgot my dd was going into 7th(!!!) next year until yesterday and decided I might ought to finalize planning. So, I spent about 6 hours digging through boxes trying to find my planning notebook in which I planned out dd's next few years. But alas, I could not find it. Here is what I have come up with and/or remembered:

Lit/Great Books: Omnibus II + LLftLotR for Lit, not sure if I'll do some separate writing instruction

Math: DM 8

Foreign Language: Finish Latin in the New Millennium 1 and move onto 2

She is really wanting to try Greek (for the third year in a row--EG is just not clicking with her for some reason--wondering if we should just try jumping into Athanaze, which I already own, together??)

History/Geography: She loves reading & history and wants to do geography, so I've thought about pulling the material from just the Geography box in the HOD World Geo course

Logic: If I ordered the HoD guide for Geog, I would also use the plans for Logic for The Fallacy Detective and The Art of Argument since i was planning on using AoA anyway.

Grammar: She wants to continue with R&S, so R&S 6.

Vocab: ?? Where can I see samples of Sadlier-Oxford? Otherwise, I guess Worldly Wise or Vocab from Classical Roots are my options?

Science: possibly Exploration Education Advanced with some Tiner and living books/biographies. She's enjoyed science for the first time this year using HoD's science so I may take their suggestions for next year also.

Continue with flute and cello. Wanting to take up swimming, to take some more formal courses in sewing, and to continue planning & learning skills for her future homestead/B&B.

I can't believe my girls are going into 7th grade. It went by too fast!!!! It feels like I just took the girls home from school (4th grade) and we have been on the catch up stage ever since. 

Very Tentative Plans!  

ELA:

Writing: Attuneup depending on what is being taught (my girls do not want to do medieval again).

If not Attuneup, then IEW Intensive some level (haven;t researched which level), Really can;t consider doing WWS right now. Too busy with the little ones.

Grammar: Analytical grammar with the videos

Killgallon-Elementary/Middle school

Vocabulary: Caesar's English 2 and Vocabulary Workshop 2

Literature and Reading:Figuratively Speaking-I think this will be finished by the summer so we will be doing Walch's Poetry and Prose

Lightening Lit7

Jacob's Ladder-unless something better comes up-going to drop this now that I have decided to Lightening Lit 7

Spelling: Megawords for one of them

Scripps Spelling Bee website for one of them

Math:

Would like to finish Singapore 4A/B, 5A/B,6A/B (Haha!) It takes us forever to get through a book.

Would like to finish Process Skills and Challenging Word Problems 3,4,5 HAHAHA!

Piloting Math In Focus 7 for our Charter School

Uzzingo, maybe Plato

Would like them to finish Key to Percentage and Algebra 1 (but they don;t learn well this way)

Would like them to start Paper Patty Geometry

History-

Story of the World 3 with timelines and maps and outlining and primary resources

Geography-

Mapping the World by ART-hopefully will be finished by summer 

Science-

We are in the middle of McHenry's Elements and it is going so so slow.

Uzzingo,

maybe Plato

The Big History

Critical Thinking-

Art of Argument

Finish Building Thinking Skills

Math Benders

Spanish and Chinese- with tutors

Technology-

Hackerscouts again

Youth Digital maybe

Finish up Code Academy

Really undecided about Youth Digital Arts

Piano for music for one child, Gymnastics for pe, violin for one child, guitar for another

Awanas-Trek

I will be homeschooling my 12yo son next year.  He is currently finishing 8th grade at a B&M school.  Our plan is to do a gap year or two before entering high school.  I want to focus on skill development: reading comprehension, writing, organization, planning, handwriting, that sort of thing.  I also want to have fun with him, so I'm planning to do four day weeks with the fifth day devoted to field trips, fun, and relaxation. 

English:  WWS2, MCT ML1, and homegrown literature

Math: Lial's Intermediate Algebra

History:  Big history using the website and a homegrown reading list

Science:  Mr Q's Anatomy and Physiology with supplemental reading

German:  German Is Fun 1, Rosetta Stone, and (hopefully) a tutor

ETA:  Much of this has changed--see signature :D

• Like 6

Math - BJUP Pre-Algebra   now probably Derek Owens Pre-Algebra

Grammar - Hake Grammar 6th grade/MCT materials

Composition - WWS 1 and following along with WttW with older siblings -- Now...undecided.

History - The Kingfisher Atlas of World History and Kingfisher (White Book)

Science - ???

Literature Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Ambleside book list; WTM book list

Fine Arts - Atelier Art/The Great Courses Ă¢â‚¬â€œ dvd sets

P.E./Health -

Foreign Language - ??? I would like to do Latin or Spanish, but since ds is quite dyslexic, and his older brother wants to do American Sign Language (ASL), so maybe we'll try that.   Now...leaning toward Latin or maybe Spanish.

Well, thought I knew where I was heading with everything but then I went to a hs convention this weekend and realized I didn't want to use most of what I had planned on. :).

So I know for sure:

Rod and staff math7 and Hands on equations with little brother (haven't seen HOE so not sure if he needs this or not)

R &S English 6.

Writing will probably be WWS 1 since I have it and could use it for both

Life Science (BJU ) this a maybe. Not really impressed with ANY middle school science. :(

Figuratively Speaking.

The rest is up in the air. I really wanted to try Further Up and Further In but when I saw it I realized it was not for us. :(

Here's what I'm looking at for next year for ds who will be 12. He will be going to a parochial school for 8th. I feel like we need to focus on reading and writing to prep him for that. I'm not planning on much if any science/history...he's done two complete cycles already.

Math: AoPS (finished Saxon 7/6; he'll be doing Alg 1 in 8th)

Logic: a mix of Fallacy Detective, Thinking Toolbox, & Grid Perplexors

Spanish: SYRWTLS (started this year but taking it very slow)

Geography: Expedition Earth (the Horton one)

Language Arts: SYRWTLE 2, plus some or all of the following:

--Writing: Writing Extraordinary Essays, Blackbird & Co. Intro to Composition

--Spelling: Megawords

--Vocabulary: Vocabulary Cartoons

--Grammar: Magic Lens

--Literature: Garlic Press lit guides

Science: Time Engineers

Art: hoping to take an outside class

Music: guitar lessons

I'd love some feedback in particular on the language arts line up. He's very good at grammar so we didn't do any formal study this year, nor for spelling, but I'd like to brush up before he goes to school. It seems like there's a lot, though, and I'm not sure how much is needed beyond SYRWTLE.

:lol:

Here you go:

http://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/literature-and-poetry/poetry

I think the very newest books are totally different than the older ones - this one has a Pre-Grammar/Grammar/Logic/Rhetoric question/discussion section for each selection.  This is what I love - it really leads you gradually into a deeper and deeper analysis of the piece.  The older guides seem to have a vocab/comprehension question format.  That doesn't really impress me.  So I'm now poring through the samples to see if any of the other guides have this newer format.  It looks like the Sir Gawain and Beowulf guides do, I can't tell about some of the others.

Just bumping to say that I finally received the MP Poetry & Short Stories Teacher Guide (it had been backordered) and they say that it can be used any time between 7-12, but that 7th graders will probably need extra support/help.  I think that's true - I think we might not get to this till 8th grade.  So anybody thinking of using it with olders, you will be fine, and if you get it for your 7th grader because of me, well, you been warned!  ;)  :D

• Like 1

I'll play:D

Math: AoPS Pre-Alg and Horizons Pre-Alg, which we started this year, so we will probably move into the Alg programs mid-way through next year as well. Horizons is the move-it-along-strong-and-steady, but I love the concepts behind AoPS so we are going to work them together a bit and see which one comes out on top:-)

History, Lit, Fine Arts: TOG Yr 3 with SL. I have been using TOG for about 2 years now (which seems crazy because I have been so back and forth about it, lol.) Now I feel like I can give an experienced viewpoint to it. It has been a ton of work, but well worth the effort. The thing I love about TOG is the discussions. And the connections. And the Teachers notes for when I am feeling lazy. I still miss so much of SL, so I add in their books (sheepish grin.)

Science: still on the fence. We used ES:earth science and astronomy this year with both kids, and it was great in that science actually.got.done:-). But I picked up the Holt Earth sci text mid-year and that has been a really good resource. I feel like at middle school, science needs a more textbook approach and adding in the text has been a good thing. Good middle school homeschool science resources are hard to find. (Personally, I think Ruth should write one; I am sure she will get right on that:-)

Writing/LA: WWS1 - I have spent too much time trying to find my ideal writing program and not enough time having them write. I am committing to putting in the time with WWS next year because I think it is comprehensive and they will be able to write well when they are through. Rod and Staff for Grammar and Spelling - I just moved to these a few months ago, and I like the no-nonsense and independent :hurray: approach. It isn't exciting and it is written more for the Mennonite community, but it is thorough and that is what I want for now. He will also probably do some VFTRU as well.

Language: we will continue with Visual Latin for now. I also need to find a good grammar-based foreign (modern) language program. Maybe it is just because I am old, and I learned foreign languages grammatically, but I really dislike the non-grammatical approach. I think it works well to handle casual conversation, but I feel like they need a more intense approach to be able to be fluent and move into college work when the time is right. Suggestions are VERY welcome!

Logic: on the fence here too. Maybe Art of Argument, or MPs Logic course. I have zaccaros problem solving too. I will be lurking on this thread for ideas.

Extra: typing, sailing, tennis, piano, guitar, and being crazy boys who love to play in the dirt, skateboard, ride the zip line and hang with their buds:-)

I like these threads for two main reasons: 1) I can see other people's ideas/plans, which is inspiring, and 2) it forces me to get nebulous thoughts written out.  Realize, though, that this is my first iteration and I am sure it will change to one degree or another.

Math: AoPS Algebra 1 and Number Theory online classes

Science: RSO Biology 2, First Lego League, and selected topics for Science Olympiad

History: SOTW 3 with selected literature studies TBD

English Language:

- LL8 

- Caesar's English  2

- LOE finish with advanced spelling lists

- Grammar?? (probably Grammar Voyage)

- Writing?? (really struggling with what to use - I occasionally go back and look at WWS again, and every time I do I think, "why I am looking at this again, it is not a good match for her!" We've tried and hated IEW.  BW is too nebulous for me to implement. W@H did not have enough instruction.  She needs help with organization of thoughts...)

Logic: Fallacy Detective

Fine Art: piano, music theater group, pottery

PE: needs revamping

Co-op classes, youth group

ETA: I realized FLL looked like grammar when it is actually First Lego League

It has taken me awhile this year, but I think I mostly have it together now.

We also just keep going with things, so we will transition when ready. For instance ds is starting pre a on Monday (combo of JA, LOF, and AOPS)

History and Literature: The History of the Ancient World with study guide (toned down a little for age)

MP Online Classical Studies 1

Lots of reading of quality books assigned as the year goes on.

This is his favorite/advanced subject. Talking of the earlier accelerated students, my ds is strong              in some things, average in others, and slowly improving with spelling.

Latin and Greek:          MP online High School Form Latin

not sure about Greek yet. Might continue Koine with Hey Andrew or Switch to Attic/Classical this   year. I will decide after I see how the 2 online courses go as this is our first time doing those.

Language Arts:            Rod and Staff Grammar 6

Phonetic Zoo Level b

Finish WWS1 move to WWS2 after Christmas I think. interspersed with IEW. We do 1 week of   WWS, then 2 weeks of IEW.

Logic:                          Art of Argument

Math:                            Finish Pre Algebra and start AOPS intro to Algebra around November I think.

Khan Academy

Science:                       Yeah OMSI! Our local science museum has a great science course for MS

Geography:                   MP Geography 2

Memory:                      We are going to attempt MP's Horatius at the Bridge

Extras:                          Piano, Choir, Drama, Ballet, and Trapeze.

Programming:               Raspberry Pi, and something after the fall musical is OVER!

• 1 month later...

Revision (and resurrection of the thread - I like to see everyone's plans)

Math: AoPS Algebra 1 and Number Theory online classes

Science: RSO Biology 2, First Lego League, and selected topics for Science Olympiad, Marine Biology and local natural history

History: SOTW 3 with selected literature studies TBD SOTW1 with CHOLL and State History

English Language:

- LL8  Lit for history, lit for Leadership class, and family read alouds

- Caesar's English  2

- LOE finish with advanced spelling lists

- Grammar?? (probably Grammar Voyage)

- Writing?? (really struggling with what to use - I occasionally go back and look at WWS again, and every time I do I think, "why I am looking at this again, it is not a good match for her!" We've tried and hated IEW.  BW is too nebulous for me to implement. W@H did not have enough instruction.  She needs help with organization of thoughts...)  May be on to something with BWL and specific writing projects for science and history, add Killgallon

Logic: Fallacy Detective Art of Argument

Fine Art: piano, music theater group, pottery

PE: needs revamping Archery and Swimming

Other: Co-op classes, youth group, online Leadership class

Wow!  Everyone has really full schedules.  My up and coming 7th grader is one that I've had to be a little more lax with because she learns better when left on her own.  But here is our sort of plan:

Math:  work through Rod and Staff topics and get ready for pre-algebra next year. 

Study Skills:  at the local co-op

World Geography:  more of a countries and cultures thing and I plan on using travel guides and having both children make power-point presentations for places they would like to visit on each continent. 

Japanese:  Rosetta Stone, anime and free worksheets I find online (we'll start using the textbooks in 9th grade)

Science:  debating over putting her in the General Science class at co-op or just finishing off our Animal studies of last year.

Language Arts:  composition using prompts, poetry, spelling  and reading comprehension activities.  I kind of like the looks of Memoria Press' American Literature Poetry and Short Stories.  But we'll see. 

Art:  she spends a lot of time drawing and writing her own comics, so I leave plenty of time for that.

Music:  Violin lessons

Outside activities:  anime club and a weekly homeschool group that meets for social interaction.

I guess we are fairly busy even if it is more relaxed.  Lol.

Math- Math-U-See Algebra 1 and Geometry, supplemented by Life of Fred (we likely will be doing this well into 8th grade)

Science- Winter Promise Equine Science (secularized),  plus Forensic Pathology with Human Anatomy Lab class at our local enrichment program

History- Winter Promise Quest for Royals and Revolution (secularized). We may take two years for this, as I can see us going off on lots of rabbit trails. We are also registered for classes on Currclick.com for the first semester. We'll probably do some for the second semester as well, but those won't be posted for awhile. Daring Dragons Camp,  Ancient Egypt, Swashbuckler Spies, Swashbuckler Celts, Christmas Around the World.

Language Arts- Learning Language Arts Through Literature Gray Book (minus the book studies), Phonetic Zoo Level B, Mavis Beacon typing, Pictures in Cursive

Literature- Adventure Through Literature class on Currclick.com for the first semester. For the second semester, we may do the class again, or may start Literary Lessons From Lord of the Rings

Writing: Middle School/Junior High Writing at the local enrichment program

Elective: Critical Thinking Through Rhetoric: Aristotle to Apple class at the enrichment program. This only lasts one semester. We may add a Drama class second semester, depending on how things go.

Er. I may have done a bit of a 180. DD12. 2E.

Math: summer review with Jousting Armadillos. In the fall we'll pick up either AOPS Intro to Algebra *or* Jacob's Elementary Algebra. Patty Paper Geometry for Fridays!

Spelling: Apples and Pears B and C

Writing: CAP Narrative I and II

Grammar: Seton's English for Young Catholics 6

Religion: a ton of Catholic youth resources; literature, saint stories, youth Bible, etc.

Science: A la "Ruth in NZ", covering some bio, some chem, some astronomy

Literature (team reading):

The Giver

Number the Stars

Diary of Anne Frank

Animal Farm

Lord of the Flies

The Whipping Boy

Read alouds

Mysterious Benedict Society series

Piano lessons (outsourced), accordion lessons (with Pop Pop via Skype), soccer, youth group at church

I'm feeling a little discombobulated about 7th grade right now, as I try and create space in the day for some outsourced stuff, and realize just how much time we really want to spend on literature . . . . We're also jumping in with several Coursera courses, and have some TC courses planned.  The biggest change from my earlier plan is that we will not do any (or much) additional history other than the Big History project content, and our literature will be totally disconnected from history.

I think it will break down something like this:

Math 1 hour

English 1 hour

Literature 1 hour

lunch

Big History/Science 1.5 hours

Metacogniton/Logic & Spanish 1 hour

Filmmaking (outsourced, online class) 1 hour

extracurriculars: horseback riding & theater - these range from 4 hours a week on the low side to ~10+ on the high side, so obviously when they are high something's gotta give . . . 

• Like 2

Math

Hopefully finish Dolciani Prealgebra by November. Move on to ??? for algebra? Ideas please.

English:

R & S English for grammar, finish WWS 1 by October, then start WWS 2

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop C and D

Logic:

Fallacy Detective

History, geography, and literature

TOG 2

Bible:

Daily listening to Bible and Who Is God, Fighter Verses momerization

Foreign languages:

Finish Lively Latin 2 and move on to Latin Prep 1

Doulingo Spanish

Singapore Chinese 3B

Science:

Apologia General Science

Please help me with math. What should i move him to for algebra???

for ds:

Logic - Critical Thinking in US History (as the material corresponds to certain history lessons)

I'm curious about this- is it a book from the Critical Thinking Co?

Extra curriculars include Japanese swordfighting, basketball, electric bass (and possibly saxophone) and boy scouts

Japanese sword fighting? How cool is that?!

I'll play (but this is definitely still a work in progress).

Math: Horizons Pre-Alg

LA: MCT voyage level, although I suspect we'll move rather quickly up to the Magic Lens level (I forget the name). Dd is very strong in her LA and I'm guessing once she learns how MCT teaches grammar, she'll move pretty quickly. (MCT is new for us, and quite a jump, IMHO, from CLE-LA)

Lit: the Searcher package from MCT (Treasure Island, Call of the Wild, Invisible Man) to start, plus somewhere/somehow along the way, develop a reading list for her. She truly devours books.

History: Human Odyssey, vol 2. I also have the whole Hakim History of US set, and I'm trying to decide if I want to add US History to the list...

Logic: problem studies for one, from RFWP, plus I picked up the book that goes after The Fallacy Detective, but I can't remember right now.

PE: a homeschool PE class once a week at the Y and she's a competitive diver, so lots of practice.

Extracurricular: she's taking an online programming class for adding mods to MInecraft. This will be ongoing, as we started it in January.

At the co-op: Cambridge Latin 1, Math Counts (a real-life math based problem solving class), Physical Science, Dynamic Detectives (another problem solving class), History Mysteries, and cooking for girls (because I cannot yet let go of the "control" of my kitchen).

I *think* that's it? Looking at it all typed out, it seems like a lot, but I feel like I have gaps. I'm thinking, health? geography? other stuff?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is my updated, full & complete plan . . . . until something changes!  ;)

7th Grade Synopsis Syllabus

Math (1 hour), including summer

Finish PreAlgebra:

Geometry

Probability and Statistics

Master Alcumus Pre-Algebra section

Finish Zaccaro PSG & RWA

Do all this first before starting Algebra! DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t rush.  Take the time it takes to solidly master the material. 

Algebra options Ă¢â‚¬â€œ try in this order:

1.       AoPS Intro to Algebra

2.       Jacobs Elementary Algebra

3.       Crocodiles & Coconuts / Chuckles Ă¢â‚¬â€œ the pricey option

4.       FoersterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ă¢â‚¬â€œ good for scientific, problem solving applications, less proofy than AoPS but more challenging than Jacobs

English (1 hour), starting in August

Spelling: once a week, using How To Teach Spelling

Grammar: Finish Grammar for Middle School, do Magic Lense 1, then Paragraphs for Middle School

Vocab: Word Within the word 1, plus vocab from LOTR & LAOW

Writing: Writing assignments from Big History/Big Science

·         Reports should be question- or problem-driven, with a thesis, rather than just informational

·         Work through all the different Writing Tasks (below)

Writing Lessons:

W&R Chreia & Proverb

·         6-paragraph structured essay, closed form

Lively Art of Writing

·         Developing a thesis

·         Writing an Essay

W&R Refutation/Confirmation

·         Persuasive Essay

Paragraphs for Middle School

Really focus on writing excellent paragraphs.  Assign one paragraph a week on a topic, and really tear it apart, make sure it is the best possible paragraph you can write

Literature (1 hour), including summer (already in progress)

Fantasy Literature Study: The Cauldron of Story

Resources:  Coursera Fantasy & Science Fiction (first half)

Garlic Press Lit Guide Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Hobbit

Walch Guide - Shakespeare

LLLoTR

Read alouds:

1.       The Sons of the Volsungs Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dorothy Hosford

2.       Smith of Wootton Major - Tolkein

3.       The Enchanted Castle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ E Nesbit

4.       The Book of Dragons Ă¢â‚¬â€œ E Nesbit

For Study:

5.       GrimmĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Fairy Tales

6.       Alice in Wonderland

7.       Through the Looking Glass

8.       Dracula

9.       Frankenstein

10.   Hawthorne

a.       The Birthmark

b.      RappacciniĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Daughter

c.       Dr. HeideggerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Experiment

d.      The Artist of the Beautiful

11.   Poe

a.       The Fall of the House of Usher

b.      The Tell-Tale Heart

c.       The Black Cat

d.      The Oval Portrait

e.      The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

f.        The Bells

g.       The Raven

h.      Annabel Lee

12.   Wells

a.       The Country of the Blind

b.      The Star

c.       The Invisible Man (MCT Lit Guide)

13.   The Hobbit (annotated book plus Garlic Press guide)

14.   The Fellowship of the Ring (LLLOTR)

15.   Macbeth  (Walch Guide plus Shakespeare Uncovered)

16.   The Two Towers (LLLOTR)

17.   Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

18.   The Return of the King (LLLOTR)

Poetry Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Read, discuss & write, once a week

Rose, Where Did You Get That Red Ă¢â‚¬â€œ writing modelled on great poems

Big History/Big Science (1-2hours)

Big Science:  Origins - The Big Bang, Stars, the Elements, Solar System and Earth, Life/Evolution

Big History: Early Humans, Agriculture & Civilization, Expansion and Interconnection, Acceleration, The Future

·         Big History Project investigations, writing assignments, and PBL assignments

·         Cornell Notes: notetaking from lectures (TC lectures on Solar System, A New History of Life)

·         Coursera classes: Emergence of Life, Origins

·         Living books list: reading, taking notes, outlining/rewriting from outline, topic reports

Geography & Drawing:  Mapping the World with Art

Metacognition (1/2 hour)

How to Lie with Statistics

Art of Argument

Spanish (1/2 hour)

Finish GSWS

Easy Peasy Spanish online Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 7th Grade

Easy Spanish Step-by-Step

Interest-Led Studies (1 hour)

Filmmaking Class

Equine Science

Extracurriculars

Theater Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2 or 3 main stage productions

Horseback Riding Ă¢â‚¬â€œ begin showing?

Life Skills

Regular Exercise

Cooking

Laundry

Writing Tasks for Critical Thinking

1.       Link course concept to personal experience or prior knowledge: how is this similar to something you already know?

2.       Explain concept to a new learner (of different levels)

3.       Summary or Abstract of text or lecture

a.       200-250 word summary

b.      One sentence summaries

c.       25-word precis

d.      Summarize TC lectures

4.       Support or attack a given thesis

5.       Template Assignments: Provide a slot for the thesis along with an organizational frame students have to flesh out

6.       Answer a question or problem (audience defined as part of question)

7.       Data Analysis Ă¢â‚¬â€œ given a set of data, write an argument or analysis based on the data

8.       Role-playing Ă¢â‚¬Å“What IfĂ¢â‚¬ assignment Ă¢â‚¬â€œ take a certain perspective or respond to a hypothetical situation

9.       Dialogues or Argumentative scripts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ role-play opposing views on a controversial issue

10.   Case studies or simulations Ă¢â‚¬â€œ real or realistic stories or thought-provoking issue questions where there is no obvious right answer, student must take a position or propose a solution

• Like 6

Well, 7th grade ended for us in December, but this is what ds did:

MATH. and that is all.

Ok, a bit unfair, but it felt that way. Here is his real list:

Math

AoPS Intro Number theory

AoPS Intro Counting

AoPS second half of Geometry

The Art and Craft of Problem Solving by by Zeitz (first 6 chapters)

Proof writing with Mom (well, at least I gave it a go)

NZ math olympiad entrance exam (took 60 hours)

NZ math olympiad summer program

First 1/4 of AoPS intermediate Number theory class

sigh..... Yes, I did all this too. Never again!!!!!

Science

Science fair project on Timing traffic lights

English

1/4 of WWS3

Great Courses: The Art of Reading

Planning a novel (but never put pen to paper)

Violin

ABRSM grade 5 music theory exam

Finished ABRSM grade 6 practical material

Mandarin with a tutor

Finished Boya 1, began Boya 2

History: Early modern and 1/2 of late modern wtih DAD

Could get you a book list if you want

3 living history parks (Macinac island, Hartwick Pines, Shaker Village)

Literature:

Great Expectations

Coral Island

Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglas

Puddnhead Willson

Moby Dick

The science fiction Hall of fame

Lost World, Doyle

Wuthering Heights

Dracula

Tales of Mystery and Terror. poe

The picture of Dorian Gray

Turn of the Screw

King Solomons Mines

We by Zamyatin

Cats Cradle. vonnegut

Woman in White

Collection of Victorian Gothic Short stories

PE

Diving

Swimming

Win Tsung

Mountain Biking (including his first fall!)

Tennis lessons for a week

Art

Watercolour

Classic movies with dad

1 opera

3 plays

3 symphonies

Cleveland Museum of Art

Looks better than I thought it would....

Ruth in NZ

Ruth,

Can you shareyour list of history reading list for Middle Ages and early to modern times? Thanks!

Ok, here is my updated, full & complete plan . . . . until something changes!  ;)

Finish PreAlgebra:

Geometry

Finish Zaccaro PSG & RWA

Do all this first before starting Algebra! DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t rush.  Take the time it takes to solidly master the material. 

1.       AoPS Intro to Algebra

2.       Jacobs Elementary Algebra

3.       Crocodiles & Coconuts / Chuckles Ă¢â‚¬â€œ the pricey option

4.       FoersterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ă¢â‚¬â€œ good for scientific, problem solving applications, less proofy than AoPS but more challenging than Jacobs

Grammar: Finish Grammar for Middle School, do Magic Lense 1, then Paragraphs for Middle School

·         Reports should be question- or problem-driven, with a thesis, rather than just informational

·         Work through all the different Writing Tasks (below)

Writing Lessons:

W&R Chreia & Proverb

·         6-paragraph structured essay, closed form

Lively Art of Writing

·         Developing a thesis

·         Writing an Essay

·         Persuasive Essay

Really focus on writing excellent paragraphs.  Assign one paragraph a week on a topic, and really tear it apart, make sure it is the best possible paragraph you can write

Resources:  Coursera Fantasy & Science Fiction (first half)

LLLoTR

Read alouds:

1.       The Sons of the Volsungs Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dorothy Hosford

2.       Smith of Wootton Major - Tolkein

3.       The Enchanted Castle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ E Nesbit

4.       The Book of Dragons Ă¢â‚¬â€œ E Nesbit

For Study:

5.       GrimmĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Fairy Tales

6.       Alice in Wonderland

7.       Through the Looking Glass

8.       Dracula

9.       Frankenstein

10.   Hawthorne

a.       The Birthmark

b.      RappacciniĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Daughter

c.       Dr. HeideggerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Experiment

d.      The Artist of the Beautiful

11.   Poe

a.       The Fall of the House of Usher

b.      The Tell-Tale Heart

c.       The Black Cat

d.      The Oval Portrait

e.      The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

f.        The Bells

g.       The Raven

h.      Annabel Lee

12.   Wells

a.       The Country of the Blind

b.      The Star

c.       The Invisible Man (MCT Lit Guide)

13.   The Hobbit (annotated book plus Garlic Press guide)

14.   The Fellowship of the Ring (LLLOTR)

15.   Macbeth  (Walch Guide plus Shakespeare Uncovered)

16.   The Two Towers (LLLOTR)

17.   Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

18.   The Return of the King (LLLOTR)

Big Science:  Origins - The Big Bang, Stars, the Elements, Solar System and Earth, Life/Evolution

Big History: Early Humans, Agriculture & Civilization, Expansion and Interconnection, Acceleration, The Future

·         Big History Project investigations, writing assignments, and PBL assignments

·         Cornell Notes: notetaking from lectures (TC lectures on Solar System, A New History of Life)

·         Coursera classes: Emergence of Life, Origins

·         Living books list: reading, taking notes, outlining/rewriting from outline, topic reports

Geography & Drawing:  Mapping the World with Art

Metacognition (1/2 hour)

Art of Argument

Spanish (1/2 hour)

Finish GSWS

Filmmaking Class

Equine Science

Extracurriculars

Life Skills

Regular Exercise

Cooking

Laundry

1.       Link course concept to personal experience or prior knowledge: how is this similar to something you already know?

2.       Explain concept to a new learner (of different levels)

3.       Summary or Abstract of text or lecture

a.       200-250 word summary

b.      One sentence summaries

c.       25-word precis

d.      Summarize TC lectures

4.       Support or attack a given thesis

5.       Template Assignments: Provide a slot for the thesis along with an organizational frame students have to flesh out

6.       Answer a question or problem (audience defined as part of question)

7.       Data Analysis Ă¢â‚¬â€œ given a set of data, write an argument or analysis based on the data

8.       Role-playing Ă¢â‚¬Å“What IfĂ¢â‚¬ assignment Ă¢â‚¬â€œ take a certain perspective or respond to a hypothetical situation

9.       Dialogues or Argumentative scripts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ role-play opposing views on a controversial issue

10.   Case studies or simulations Ă¢â‚¬â€œ real or realistic stories or thought-provoking issue questions where there is no obvious right answer, student must take a position or propose a solution

What are Big Science and Big History?  I've seen it mentioned several times on this thread.  I am still researching materials for an origins unit next year.  Thanks!

Big History is The Big History Project:

https://www.bighistoryproject.com/portal

Big Science is my own name for what we're planning to do for science next year - basically, take the science concepts in Big History, and expand them into more robust science studies in their own right.  Some of the resources we will be using:

Texts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Daily Reading

The Magic of Reality Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Richard Dawkins (12 chapters)

Dr. ArtĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Guide to Science (13 chapters)

A Really Short History of Nearly Everything (for kids) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Bill Bryson (6 sections)

Dr. ArtĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Guide to Planet Earth

Why Evolution is True (9 chapters)

Exploring the Way Life Works (8 chapters)

Astrobiology: A Brief Introduction (10 chapters)

Science Units Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Lectures & Reading

Coursera:  Emergence of Life

McHenry:  The Elements

Coursera:  Origins: Formation of the Universe, Solar System, Earth & Life

TC: New Frontiers: Modern Perspectives on Our Solar System

TC: A New History of Life

• Like 1

Pretty much 6 hours a day for sure - 9-12 and 1-4.  On horseback riding days she only works till 3 - but then I consider her 2-3 hours at the stables as being in lieu of her independent studies that day.  Likewise, when she's in a play and has rehearsal for 2-3 hours every night, we might scale back (so science/history for just one hour, not two) and she can choose to not do her other independent stuff when she's in a play.

The way I look at it is I have 5-6 hours scheduled, and then she has 1-3+  hours of indepedent/extracurriculars - and we are flexible.  So when the extracurriculars are heavy, the schoolwork is 5, if the extracurriculars are light, schoolwork might be 6.  But not more than that, typically.  We also burn out if we try to do any more than 6 hours in a day.  We do read aloud at bedtime which I don't count in those hours.

ETA: we are on a seriously relaxed summer schedule right now, which is much lighter.  I think it will be hard to ramp back up, this is so pleasant! But we are excited about all our studies for next year and don't really want to give anything up . . . The way I have it scheduled, I have plenty of open time at the end of the year, so if we don't get to every thing every day, it can spill on out into April/May which is not fully scheduled at this point.

• Like 1

Rose, I really like the way you explained your plan. You have inspired me to rewrite mine (8th grade) in a similar format. Thanks!

Ok, here is my updated, full & complete plan . . . . until something changes! ;)

Finish PreAlgebra:

Geometry

Finish Zaccaro PSG & RWA

Do all this first before starting Algebra! DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t rush. Take the time it takes to solidly master the material.

1. AoPS Intro to Algebra

2. Jacobs Elementary Algebra

3. Crocodiles & Coconuts / Chuckles Ă¢â‚¬â€œ the pricey option

4. FoersterĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Ă¢â‚¬â€œ good for scientific, problem solving applications, less proofy than AoPS but more challenging than Jacobs

· Reports should be question- or problem-driven, with a thesis, rather than just informational

· Work through all the different Writing Tasks (below)

Writing Lessons:

W&R Chreia & Proverb

· 6-paragraph structured essay, closed form

Lively Art of Writing

· Developing a thesis

· Writing an Essay

· Persuasive Essay

Really focus on writing excellent paragraphs. Assign one paragraph a week on a topic, and really tear it apart, make sure it is the best possible paragraph you can write

Resources: Coursera Fantasy & Science Fiction (first half)

LLLoTR

Read alouds:

1. The Sons of the Volsungs Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Dorothy Hosford

2. Smith of Wootton Major - Tolkein

3. The Enchanted Castle Ă¢â‚¬â€œ E Nesbit

4. The Book of Dragons Ă¢â‚¬â€œ E Nesbit

For Study:

5. GrimmĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Fairy Tales

6. Alice in Wonderland

7. Through the Looking Glass

8. Dracula

9. Frankenstein

10. Hawthorne

a. The Birthmark

b. RappacciniĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Daughter

c. Dr. HeideggerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Experiment

d. The Artist of the Beautiful

11. Poe

a. The Fall of the House of Usher

b. The Tell-Tale Heart

c. The Black Cat

d. The Oval Portrait

e. The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar

f. The Bells

g. The Raven

h. Annabel Lee

12. Wells

a. The Country of the Blind

b. The Star

c. The Invisible Man (MCT Lit Guide)

13. The Hobbit (annotated book plus Garlic Press guide)

14. The Fellowship of the Ring (LLLOTR)

15. Macbeth (Walch Guide plus Shakespeare Uncovered)

16. The Two Towers (LLLOTR)

17. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

18. The Return of the King (LLLOTR)

Big Science: Origins - The Big Bang, Stars, the Elements, Solar System and Earth, Life/Evolution

· Big History Project investigations, writing assignments, and PBL assignments

· Cornell Notes: notetaking from lectures (TC lectures on Solar System, A New History of Life)

· Coursera classes: Emergence of Life, Origins

· Living books list: reading, taking notes, outlining/rewriting from outline, topic reports

Geography & Drawing: Mapping the World with Art

Metacognition (1/2 hour)

Art of Argument

Spanish (1/2 hour)

Finish GSWS

Filmmaking Class

Equine Science

Extracurriculars

Life Skills

Regular Exercise

Cooking

Laundry

1. Link course concept to personal experience or prior knowledge: how is this similar to something you already know?

2. Explain concept to a new learner (of different levels)

3. Summary or Abstract of text or lecture

a. 200-250 word summary

b. One sentence summaries

c. 25-word precis

d. Summarize TC lectures

4. Support or attack a given thesis

5. Template Assignments: Provide a slot for the thesis along with an organizational frame students have to flesh out

6. Answer a question or problem (audience defined as part of question)

7. Data Analysis Ă¢â‚¬â€œ given a set of data, write an argument or analysis based on the data

8. Role-playing Ă¢â‚¬Å“What IfĂ¢â‚¬ assignment Ă¢â‚¬â€œ take a certain perspective or respond to a hypothetical situation

9. Dialogues or Argumentative scripts Ă¢â‚¬â€œ role-play opposing views on a controversial issue

10. Case studies or simulations Ă¢â‚¬â€œ real or realistic stories or thought-provoking issue questions where there is no obvious right answer, student must take a position or propose a solution

• Like 1

I have a rising 7th grader as well.  We will be using HOD Revival to Revolution. 

Language Arts :  Caesar English 2, Analytical Grammar, Write Shop 2, lots of reading from HOD list and classical literature

Math:  this is my dilemma right now.  We've used CLE up to 6th grade.  My daughter likes it but I am just not sure if it's thorough enough.  For those using CLE 700, why do you feel a need to supplement? 

What is Aops?  Is this an online class?  Do you have the link to their website?  I am looking for help in teaching Math because it's not my strong subject and I would rather have someone else teach it. 

Any expert advice from you all will be appreciated.  Thank you!

History - Biblioplan, Early Modern with Story of the world Modern Times

Math - Saxon 8/7

Geography - Map work from Biblioplan Early Modern 

sheppardsoftware.com

Science - BJU online course Life Science

Language Arts/Writing - BJU English 7

finish up Writing with Skill

Reading - not sure yet, probably just let her choose from some 7th grade reading lists

French - finish up So You Really Want to Learn French

Duolingo

possibly Rosetta Stone

Logic - finish up Fallacy Detective, might add something else here...

Poetry - not sure yet, but would like to add this to our study

Music/Art - informal, live performances, art museum, local theater group, 

Physical Education - informal, regular exercise, couch to 5k with dad