Menu

7th Grade Planning

okay here's my updated plan....

Math: Geometry (TabletClass)

English: WWS 2 (potentially using WTM Academy), Caesars English 2, Hake Grammar 7

Latin: Latin Prep 3

Spanish: continue DuoLingo, and incorporate more short Spanish stories for translation. Find a tutor, perhaps?

Science: Derek Owens' Physical Science

History: Human Odyssey Volume 3 OR American History.

Electives: Guitar

Physical Education: Horse back riding and maybe lacrosse?

We'll do one semester of each of the following (hopefully that's enough time)

• Logic: Art of Argument
  • Poetry Analysis: Classical Academy Press' Art of Poetry.
  • Civics Power Civics. 

no formal spelling planned.

Not sure about reading list yet. My son reads very slowly, so I can't assign more than 4-5 heavy duty books. Here are some of the books I am considering, I need to pre-read some of them. 

• Lord of the Flies (reading this now, so may not require this)
  • Dracula
  • A few Shakespeare plays
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • The Yearling
  • Black Star Bright Dawn by o'dell
  • The Cay by Theodore Taylor
  • The Westing Game
  • Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling
  • Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez
  • The Little Prince

• Like 1

Halcyon, that looks like a very civilized plan!!  Have you pre-read 1984?  I know that I had nightmares about the rat scene for a long time . . . that's one I will hold off on for awhile with Shannon.  We've had a blast with Shakespearean comedy this year - we've loved Midsummer, Twelfth Night and As You Like It.  We're looking forward to doing some tragedies (Romeo & Juliet & Macbeth) next year.  Which ones are you guys going to do? We are also reading Dracula this summer!  And Shannon loved The Westing Game, she definitely recommends it.

• Like 1

Dd will be in 7th. I am 99% of the lineup. :lol:

History/Church History/Geography/Literature/Fine Arts: TOG yr 3

Extra Poetry and Art in addition to TOG: MP's Poetry and Short Stories (American Lit) & Drawing On History

Writing: CAP W&R Narrative1 and 2

Critical Thinking: Building Thinking Skills & Balance Math

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise & Word Roots

Spelling: finish Sequential Spelling 2 & start 3

Latin: Lively Latin bk 2

Math: LOF pre-algebra (I'm thinking she'll go through this quickly) & then into Jacob's Elementary Algebra (will start but probably not finish)

Science: Apologia General Science & following interests

Grammar Review: Digging Into Diagramming

(We have done grammar for several yrs. We will be taking a break from it this next year but will continue to diagram 2 days a week.)

• The Little Prince

And, once you read it in English, you guys can try it in Spanish! I remember reading it in French in high school & you guys have been doing very well with Duolingo. Or, try to read it in Spanish first.... then finish up with reading it in English.

BTW, your "do it every day" comment about Duolingo inspired my dd#1 to start her now-83-day streak.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 5

And, once you read it in English, you guys can try it in Spanish! I remember reading it in French in high school & you guys have been doing very well with Duolingo. Or, try to read it in Spanish first.... then finish up with reading it in English.

BTW, your "do it every day" comment about Duolingo inspired my dd#1 to start her now-83-day streak.  :coolgleamA:

Thank you for this wonderful idea!

• Like 1

I also read it in French in high school.  I cried in class. :o 

• Like 1

If you use a history spine for history and do literature separately, do you try to align the time period? Do you just let your dc read the books or do some lit study about the books?

I am still trying to find a history that works for the boys and me. I miss the years when we just did SOTW and added as many or as few supplementary books in the activity books.

We usually align some of the books but still keep a portion for literature alone. The girls and I read and study some books together and then they also have some they read independently. I generally align the books more and more as they begin to reach the upper years, but even my current high school student reads books that do not align exactly with each time period.

For example, my younger daughter (for 6th grade) will be reading The World of William Penn, Our Island Story (the corresponding chapters) and then George Washington's World for history. Along with this we will cover the following books:

Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution

poetry by Phyllis Wheatley

Children of the New Forest

several books by B. and G. Maestro

Catherine the Great

Had she not already read them or had listened to them as a read-aloud, I might have also included these:

Poor Richard

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Along with these she will read many other books which have no connection to this time period. Here is that list:

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Shakespeare: The Merchant of Venice and Hamlet

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Plutarch: older sister will be reading 9 Greek lives this year so we'll pick 2-3 of these (Have read Brutus and some excerpts from Caesar)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Tales From Shakespeare

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢George MacDonald Study (At the Back of the North Wind, Complete Fairy Tales, poetry)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Ivanhoe (Scott)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Faerie Gold

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Swallows and Amazons (Ransome)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢North and South (Gaskell)

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Treasure Island (Stevenson)

• Like 2

We usually align some of the books but still keep a portion for literature alone. The girls and I read and study some books together and then they also have some they read independently. I generally align the books more and more as they begin to reach the upper years, but even my current high school student reads books that do not align exactly with each time period.

This is what we do as well.

(ETA: By aligning with history, I don't mean we read modern historical fiction. At this level (upper middle school), books we're reading were written in the time period being studied or are nonfiction about that time period.)

• Like 2

Yes, this is what I like to do too. We move more and more into primary sources, biographies and literature written by authors who were living in the same time period of which we are studying. In the example I gave with my younger daughter who will be studying the early modern time period, we will add a number of primary sources along with the books I have set aside for her. I tend to assign any historical fiction (such as Catherine the Great, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, etc.) as independent reading, and we rarely do anything more with it. The Abigail Adams book is one we are reading together as a family in the evening and then sometimes we discuss it as a family. Children of the New Forest is just a great story as well as being set in the English Civil War time period. We just can't seem to pass it up. :)

• Like 2

I have changes almost everything since posted in February. I am getting close to ordering, so I need to stop fiddling and just commit, right?

Literature:

• Lightning Lit 7 + Figuratively Speaking.
  • I have a dozen other lit guides I would like to use (including Hoot, The Incredible Journey, The Egypt Game, The Black Pearl, Julie of the Wolves)

English:

• Giggle in the Middle (Caught'Ya - editing)
  • Essentials in Writing 6
  • Writing & Rhetoric (concurrent with the grammar part of EIW - hopefully getting through Narrative 1 before switching to EIW composition)
  • Logic of English Essentials.

History:

• Human Odyssey - finish up vol. 1 and do vol. 2. I am thinking of doing this with just the book, as he totally burned out on the K12 course this year and says he hates history. :*(

Science:

• Holt Science & Technology (HST) Life Science
  • Microscope studies

Math:

• Holt Course 2 (the one things that has never changed!)
  • Math Minutes 7
  • 70 Must-Know word problems 5 & 6

Spanish:

• Getting Started with Spanish

Music: (MAYBE)

• Music Ace
  • Like 1

The tentative plan is:

Math:  AOPS Geometry & Math Analysis (Precalculus) Ă¢â‚¬â€œ outsourced

Math club and Mathcounts

Science:  BFSU3

Georgia Public Broadcasting Physics

lots of free exploration (water purification, electronics...)

English:  LL-LOTR

WWS1

weekly poetry reading

History: Finishing SOTW2 and SOTW3

Current Events:   Newsademic

German:  Finish Logisch 1 and starting Logisch 2

daily German free reading

Bible:   SCM Hebrews study

Music:  Piano lessons and choir

P.E.   Cross Country

Art:  Picture studies

Computer Science:  MIT Intro to CS and Programming (as time permits)

t]History:

• [*]Human Odyssey - finish up vol. 1 and do vol. 2. I am thinking of doing this with just the book, as he totally burned out on the K12 course this year and says he hates historyt]

My boys are I are both burned out with TOG 1. I am thinking of just reading Human Odyssey aloud to the and let them read book list in TOG with no written work.

• Like 3

My boys are I are both burned out with TOG 1. I am thinking of just reading Human Odyssey aloud to the and let them read book list in TOG with no written work.

I sometimes get caught up in what I think my son should be able to handle, and lose track of what he really can handle.

I am *just beginning* to really settle down and think about this. I have no idea what my issue is!

Math-

Hands On Equations with Khan and problem solving book; finish Key to Percent and Decimal book.  Maybe do other living math type books.   Take Let's Go Learn Math test and work on gaps or move ahead.  I think he is pretty much ready for pre-algebra but he has an attitude so we are going to take a slight break. VideoText looks good.  But I can not decide.  Whatever we do, I have Mathematics: A Human Endeavor for Fridays.  

Language Arts

Easy Grammar Plus

Finish WWS1 then start 2

Vocabulary -?? thinking I should add somehting this year but not sure what yet. I forgot we have Excavating English so we will do that and also- based on RootAnn's suggestion- Vocabulary notebook (see post below).

Literature -list

Spelling- misspelled words from papers.  

History

We are doing a year of geography with Trail Guide, Mapping the World and other library books etc.  

Science

Someone - i think she has since passed away  :( - posted a list of science books for a "reading year". We are doing that.  I also have The elements by McHenry that I would like to do parts of

Logic-

Art of Argument

Latin- Visual Latin (I guess. I am so burnt out on Latin. We trudge through and I feel like no one knows what is going on. He translates the selections very well but I worry how much is really sticking.)

I would like to start Spanish.

I am not doing art.         :p   sigh. Just kidding. Well. maybe not. LOL       

(I have added some things if you are rereading.  Kinda nice having it here while I am thinking it through.  I was worried bc we are not as advanced as many but a few other posts gave me courage. )                                    

• Like 1

Vocabulary -?? thinking I should add somehting this year but not sure what yet.

Had you thought about just starting a vocab notebook? When either of you run across a word you don't know, you jot it down in the notebook. If you can, write down what book you found them in & cite the page number. One day a week, take about 30 minutes to sit down with those words, look them up in the dictionary, write down the definition, etymology, part of speech, etc. If you were able to write down where they came from, find the original sentence & write that in underneath. If not, make up a sentence and write it there. Go over previous words. Sometimes, in going over the previous words, you'll remember seeing one of them in something you read that week. (Competitive children sometimes thrive on some sort of "who found more new words" or "who saw more of our previously new words" this week type of game.)

Science

Someone - i think she has since passed away  :( - posted a list of science books for a "reading year". We are doing that.  I also have The elements by McHenry that I would like to do parts of

:001_tt1:  nmoria's science reading year   

• Like 2

Had you thought about just starting a vocab notebook? When either of you run across a word you don't know, you jot it down in the notebook. If you can, write down what book you found them in & cite the page number. One day a week, take about 30 minutes to sit down with those words, look them up in the dictionary, write down the definition, etymology, part of speech, etc. If you were able to write down where they came from, find the original sentence & write that in underneath. If not, make up a sentence and write it there. Go over previous words. Sometimes, in going over the previous words, you'll remember seeing one of them in something you read that week. (Competitive children sometimes thrive on some sort of "who found more new words" or "who saw more of our previously new words" this week type of game.)

:001_tt1:  nmoria's science reading year   

Yes!  It still makes me sad to see it.

And no I had not thought of it and that is an excellent idea!!!! I think that will fit nicely b/c I was dreading yet another program!!!!

• Like 1

Here goes:

History/Geography/timeline: TOG year 3

Literature: TOG with some added books I just want her to read

Math: AoPS Prealgebra

Science: she's taking a general science course, thank goodness I outsourced that!

Language Arts: Evan Moore Grammar 7, Figuratively Speaking, Wordly Wise

French: Rosetta Stone

Music: Private violin lessons

PE: soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter

I wanted to post an update.  We ended up starting the new stuff about 4 weeks ago.  For the first time (in 6 yrs), I bought everything for the school year and put it in a plastic bin.  We also made a weekly spreadsheet with boxes, so she can grab the spreadsheet, work on something and then check off the box.  We usually "fly by the seat of our pants", but this has been awesome.  I guess we're going to do this from now on.  I just hope she doesn't finish all this stuff in 6 months.   :glare:

Stuff that's working:

1. The difficulty of the AO readings are perfect.  She loves Mark Twain, Tolkien and is also reading MacBeth in the original.  I'm not trying to brag, but I think I wasn't pushing her to get to that next level in reading.

2.  I started making a weekly math review worksheet by pulling problems from her brother's copy of Lial's Basic College Math.  She actually thanked me for this.

3.  Easy Grammar Plus - this is our *last* big grammar year.  She is finding this really easy, but it doesn't take long and it's been a good review.

Good luck, Everybody!

• Like 3

I wanted to post an update.  We ended up starting the new stuff about 4 weeks ago.  For the first time (in 6 yrs), I bought everything for the school year and put it in a plastic bin.  We also made a weekly spreadsheet with boxes, so she can grab the spreadsheet, work on something and then check off the box.  We usually "fly by the seat of our pants", but this has been awesome.  I guess we're going to do this from now on.  I just hope she doesn't finish all this stuff in 6 months.   :glare:

Stuff that's working:

1. The difficulty of the AO readings are perfect.  She loves Mark Twain, Tolkien and is also reading MacBeth in the original.  I'm not trying to brag, but I think I wasn't pushing her to get to that next level in reading.

2.  I started making a weekly math review worksheet by pulling problems from her brother's copy of Lial's Basic College Math.  She actually thanked me for this.

3.  Easy Grammar Plus - this is our *last* big grammar year.  She is finding this really easy, but it doesn't take long and it's been a good review.

Good luck, Everybody!

That is awesome! I will have to check out those lists! I have been thinking a planner or spreadsheet type thing would be a good idea for 7th.  

I just finalized my 7th grade plans and schedule!  Finally!  We are supposed to start in one week, but I don't think I'll be ready in time.  The plans and schedule are found at this blog post.

Wow! That's quite a list, I think my 7th graders would faint:) Can you tell me more about the apps you mentioned for geography? My boys are getting an ipad for their b-day and I want to make it as much of an educational tool as a "fun" tool for them. Thank you!

Wow! That's quite a list, I think my 7th graders would faint:) Can you tell me more about the apps you mentioned for geography? My boys are getting an ipad for their b-day and I want to make it as much of an educational tool as a "fun" tool for them. Thank you!

I just downloaded a bunch of free ones from the app store and put in a folder for him.  He can use any of them that he feels helpful.    Here are the names of the ones he has in his folder:  GeoNature, GeoEarth, GeoChallenge, Georientate, Geo Quiz HD, Your World, Geography (pic of white globe on green background), World Maps, State Capitals, GeoQuiz, GeoProvCities, GeoProvinces, Where is?, Stack the States, and Stack the Countries

HTH :)

I finally have seventh grade all lined up.  We will start on August 4th.  I like to allow plenty of time for last minute interruptions. Here is what we are planning:

Bible - Apologia - Who is My Neighbor and Why Does He Need Me?

Literature: Kolbe Literature - we are using the section on short stories and reading 3 of the books.  We also read a lot of extra books.

Grammar - Analytical Grammar

Spelling/Vocabulary - A Beka and Vocabulary Cartoons

Writing - Cover Story and Essentials in Writing

History: Mystery of History III with related literature

Civics - Uncle Sam and Me

Math - Saxon 1/2, Supplement with some of the "Key to ..." series

Science - Finish BJU Life Science; Start BJU Earth Science

Latin - Second Form Latin

Geography - Memoria Press with some added cultural reading

Logic - Mind Benders and Think a Grams

Art - Outside Class and Atelier

Physical Education - Competitive Dance

I don't think we will add in any music this year.  We have completed a lot of music studies the past few years.

Suzanne

I bought a student planner! My dh thought it odd. lol. But I am hoping ds can keep track of when he has aikido, swim, parties, chess, park days, etc and what he needs for each one.  I am SO tired of reminding him!  I have not figured out how to add academics to it yet. lol. I know my dsd wrote hw.... I thought he could perhaps write what he completed....prob need to do a search on how people use theirs.

Still. I am excited that I have a student planner!!!

• Like 2

my updated plan

Math (1/2 hour summer avg), 1 hour, maybe a bit more fall and on

PreAlgebra Saxon 8/7 and AoPS until done, then on to Algebra--that may happen during this next year, or not till the next one.

8/7 has been added and already started due to it seeming like AoPS is good--I like the discovery aspect, but a lot of it is trick questions that end up with things like everything cancels out till the answer is 1 or 0 or that sort of thing... unrealistic to real world, such that ordinary skills were being forgotten and instead a tendency to look for the "trick" that would suddenly make the problem easy. That has its place, but so does remembering how to do the basics.

English 

decision still needed--whether to get MCT Essay Voyage, just the main book for inspiration...

Spelling: Spelling Power (15 min)

Grammar: Hake 6 (20 min or more)

Writing--major emphasis needed this next year: CAP W&R, Hake, other things, probably some BW still, emphasis on doing it! Considering Kilgallon, not sure if paragraphs actually adds anything to their sentences--the look inside view looked like mostly just more sentence work.  Anyone know? (20 min daily minimum)

If writing is going well, it can continue, if not then one or more of:

Geography

Current Events

Science 

Logic/understanding Propaganda studies

German

penmanship

= an aprox. 3 hour morning.

afternoons, probably will be student interest initiated learning

lifeskills

chores

playtime, exercise

possibly a return to guitar, fencing

chicken care...

my updated plan

Math (1/2 hour summer avg), 1 hour, maybe a bit more fall and on

PreAlgebra Saxon 8/7 and AoPS until done, then on to Algebra--that may happen during this next year, or not till the next one.

8/7 has been added and already started due to it seeming like AoPS is good--I like the discovery aspect, but a lot of it is trick questions that end up with things like everything cancels out till the answer is 1 or 0 or that sort of thing... unrealistic to real world, such that ordinary skills were being forgotten and instead a tendency to look for the "trick" that would suddenly make the problem easy. That has its place, but so does remembering how to do the basics.

English 

decision still needed--whether to get MCT Essay Voyage, just the main book for inspiration...

Spelling: Spelling Power (15 min)
Grammar: Hake 6 (20 min or more)

Writing--major emphasis needed this next year: CAP W&R, Hake, other things, probably some BW still, emphasis on doing it! Considering Kilgallon, not sure if paragraphs actually adds anything to their sentences--the look inside view looked like mostly just more sentence work.  Anyone know? (20 min daily minimum)

If writing is going well, it can continue, if not then one or more of:
Geography
Current Events
Science 
Logic/understanding Propaganda studies
German
penmanship

= an aprox. 3 hour morning.

afternoons, probably will be student interest initiated learning
lifeskills
chores
playtime, exercise
possibly a return to guitar, fencing

chicken care...

Pen, Paragraphs for Middle School does review the Grammar for Middle School material, but it looks like it has some significant additions.  It has 60 pages at the end that are dedicated specifically to paragraphs.  The Sentences section (the first 120 pp of the book) also has a different slant - while it reviews the tools, it also focuses much more on where in the sentence you can use the various tools.  I think it does extend the GfMS material in a meaningful way. Shannon only got through about half of GfMS last year, I'm going to have her finish it and then start Paragraphs and work through it, too.  I am using these books in lieu of a separate formal grammar for 7th, and I assign them on the days when "regular" writing was light, so we don't move through them very quickly, but I've definitely seen their impact on Shannon's writing style - her sentences have gotten much more interesting and varied since she's started working through the book.  It's one of the things she does entirely on her own, and she doesn't think she is getting a lot out of it, but I can tell by reading her other writing that she is.  So it's been worth it for us.

• Like 1

Have you worked through AoPS yourself? I was worried about the exact same thing at first. Working through the book, I gradually became aware that these tricks (aka methods) really do apply to other problems in the real world. They are tools to break down problems to smaller and smaller bits until in the end it really is easy.

My dh was skeptical of AoPS when we started. For a bit I really thought he would, for the first time and only time, ask that we switch programs. Flash forward to finishing Pre-A and deciding where to go for Algebra....

DH works with Lily on math in the evening. It's her second math session of the day, so usually they do other types of problems, but they have also worked through AoPS problems for fun. When I asked him if we should change programs he looked concerned. "Why would you change what's working?" Even though she is a bit slow (something we're working on), he has been impressed with the approach she takes to all her math now. 

Obviously, if your son is forgetting ordinary skills, then supplementing is probably a good idea. I just wanted to share our perspective on the "tricks." I wonder if in looking for the trick, he is really looking for "something smart to do."

• Like 1

Have you worked through AoPS yourself? I was worried about the exact same thing at first. Working through the book, I gradually became aware that these tricks (aka methods) really do apply to other problems in the real world. They are tools to break down problems to smaller and smaller bits until in the end it really is easy.

My dh was skeptical of AoPS when we started. For a bit I really thought he would, for the first time and only time, ask that we switch programs. Flash forward to finishing Pre-A and deciding where to go for Algebra....

DH works with Lily on math in the evening. It's her second math session of the day, so usually they do other types of problems, but they have also worked through AoPS problems for fun. When I asked him if we should change programs he looked concerned. "Why would you change what's working?" Even though she is a bit slow (something we're working on), he has been impressed with the approach she takes to all her math now. 

Obviously, if your son is forgetting ordinary skills, then supplementing is probably a good idea. I just wanted to share our perspective on the "tricks." I wonder if in looking for the trick, he is really looking for "something smart to do."

Well, I like the interpretation of "I wonder if in looking for the trick, he is really looking for "something smart to do." "--nice positive spin and likely to be true actually. Just that when in grocery store it makes no sense to be expecting the bill to somehow work out to some simple and elegant result if only one goes at it in the right way.  It is also possible that it was a problem of old skills being temporarily lost as new ones are consolidated, which has happened over and over with him. Also there may have been some Sumdog effect at play.

Anyway, I like AoPS a lot, but it did seem that ds was forgetting his regular skills. I started by looking for short supplements with AoPS still as spine, but ended up with 8/7 (which is a bit tiresome and long, but does work his basic skills at the same time as pre-Algebra.) At first it started with 8/7 as supplement to review basic skills, but then reversed to 8/7 as spine, and AoPS for more depth and problem solving practice as well as practice with pondering and struggling and effort instead of getting everything right..

I think the pre-algebra level of math is one of the most useful for all of life, so it is important that he get it well and thoroughly. I'd rather he take 3 years at it and not have pre-calculus or calculus (which may never even be needed in his life or career choice) than be weak at this level. doing both could result in last year, this next year and still even the next one after that still doing pre-algebra.  Unless I end up making math 2 class periods per day. We'll see.

• Like 2

Well, I like the interpretation of "I wonder if in looking for the trick, he is really looking for "something smart to do." "--nice positive spin and likely to be true actually. Just that when in grocery store it makes no sense to be expecting the bill to somehow work out to some simple and elegant result if only one goes at it in the right way. 

I guess it depends on what you mean by this. I can think of several ways to make the result more simple and elegant. Now, I'm tempted to pull out a grocery receipt to see if I'm correct....

Many items end in 49, 99, 98 etc. Convert those to 50s and 100s keeping track of the 1s and 2s.... ;)

The more I think about it, the more I think it's commendable that he looks for simple and elegant results where it doesn't seem rational to look. Isn't that how we learn? Wouldn't it be better to always be on the lookout, always questioning and wondering...hmm....is there a better, quicker, more efficient, smarter way to do this, rather than just always automatically charging forward with computations?

I guess it depends on what you mean by this. I can think of several ways to make the result more simple and elegant. Now, I'm tempted to pull out a grocery receipt to see if I'm correct....

Many items end in 49, 99, 98 etc. Convert those to 50s and 100s keeping track of the 1s and 2s.... ;)

The more I think about it, the more I think it's commendable that he looks for simple and elegant results where it doesn't seem rational to look. Isn't that how we learn? Wouldn't it be better to always be on the lookout, always questioning and wondering...hmm....is there a better, quicker, more efficient, smarter way to do this, rather than just always automatically charging forward with computations?

Competence in both problem solving and in computation would be preferable to either alone!

What did you find when you checked your grocery receipt?

Competence in both problem solving and in computation would be preferable to either alone!

What did you find when you checked your grocery receipt?

I agree! Ugh...I am going 'round and 'round with myself about math. For us, it's the slowness. I keep wondering if we should supplement with Saxon or something else, but I'm not sure that would solve anything. I hope you keep us updated on how the Saxon/AoPS combo goes. I sometimes wonder if Lily would be faster if we had stuck to Saxon when she was younger...

I didn't get to check the receipt; I got sidetracked with appointments and never went back to it.

• Like 1

I have two seventh graders and fifth grader.  Here's what we are doing:

History: Beautiful Feet Books Medieval/Renaissance History Pack

includes this Literature: Beowulf

King Arthur

1001 Arabian Nights

Queen Eleanor, Independent Spirit of the Medieval World

Adventures of Robin Hood

Magna Charta

Cathedral

Castle

Kite Rider

Adam of the Road

Morningstar of the Reformation

Crispin: Cross of Lead

Canterbury Tales

Joan of Arc: Warrior Saint

Fine Print: story of Gutenberg

Trumpeter of Krakow

The World of Columbus

Science: Elemental Science Earth Science and Astronomy for the Logic Stage

Language Arts: Writing with Skill 1 (this seems too simple, but we are new to TWTM and I wanted to make sure we had our foundations solid)

Word Roots A2 (finish this up and the move into Vocabulary from Classical Roots)

Analytical Grammar, season 1

Math: Teaching Texbooks, Prealgebra  with some Khan Academy thrown in

Logic: this is new for us too, so we are thinking of working through the Fallacy Detective and moving into the Art of Argument

Art: Monthly trips to local art museum, they are obsessed with drawing tutorials as well

Music: .... maybe a history of classical music, but I don't when I will ever have time

PE: Swim Team training 3x/week, maybe archery too

My question is how many hours of school do you guys do at this point.  I find that if I do everything we want from BFB curriculum we are topping out at 8-10 hours a week just for History and the reading of the literature.  Is that reasonable?  If I total all the core subjects (not including art, music, or PE) I'm at about 25 hours, or 5 hours a day.  Is that typical? Too much? Too little?  Just curious what everyone else is doing!

• Like 1

If I total all the core subjects (not including art, music, or PE) I'm at about 25 hours, or 5 hours a day. Is that typical? Too much? Too little? Just curious what everyone else is doing!

Dd spent an average of 5.5 hours a day on core subjects during seventh grade----some days she worked for 4 hours, other days she worked for 7 hours.

Her core subjects that year were world history (modern era), lit/MCT LA, geology and astronomy, and multiple streams of math (AoPS Counting and Probability, AoPS algebra, AoPS geometry when she finished algebra).

• Like 1

6 hours - 9-12 and 1-4.  I can't schedule any more time than that, life gets in the way.  And mushy brains.

Are there any breaks in the 2 3-hour sessions, even short like the equivalent of going from one room to another in a regular school, or a "recess" or "PE" time? Or it is 3 hours academics non-stop?

Oh, it's not as rigid as it sounds. She usually goes outside for awhile before starting, then there's a break between math and writing in the morning, so 10-10:15-ish which is usually spent outdoors.  Then lunch break 12-1, then the afternoon is pretty solid till we're done, then usually there is something physical after that - either horseback riding, drama practice, going for a walk/hike, etc.  

But yes, there is lots of moving around during the day, too - some school happens in the dining room/at the desk, some in the living room, some in the office, some on the front porch . . . lots of moving around as we shift who needs what piece of electronics, who needs quiet to concentrate, etc.

• Like 1

Revision (and resurrection of the thread - I like to see everyone's plans)

Math: AoPS Algebra 1 and Number Theory online classes

Science: RSO Biology 2, First Lego League, and selected topics for Science Olympiad, Marine Biology and local natural history

History: SOTW 3 with selected literature studies TBD SOTW1 with CHOLL and State History

English Language:

- LL8  Lit for history, lit for Leadership class, and family read alouds

- Caesar's English  2

- LOE finish with advanced spelling lists

- Grammar?? (probably Grammar Voyage)

- Writing?? (really struggling with what to use - I occasionally go back and look at WWS again, and every time I do I think, "why I am looking at this again, it is not a good match for her!" We've tried and hated IEW.  BW is too nebulous for me to implement. W@H did not have enough instruction.  She needs help with organization of thoughts...)  May be on to something with BWL and specific writing projects for science and history, add Killgallon

Logic: Fallacy Detective Art of Argument

Fine Art: piano, music theater group, pottery

PE: needs revamping Archery and Swimming

Other: Co-op classes, youth group, online Leadership class

Take three... I guess I am thinking "aloud" here.  This is the complete storm of thought before the calm or resolution  :willy_nilly:

Math: AoPS Algebra I OR EMF  :drool:

Science: Natural History of our state (mom designed), Science Olympiad (mom assistant coach), FLL (mom head coach)  OR  do nothing but read good books and have time for leisurely contemplation  :coolgleamA:

History: State History, SOTW 1 projects at co-op

English Language:

- literature colloquia from outside class, family read alouds,  +/- mom list from Great Books Academy/AO

- Caesar's English 2 and Grammar voyage OR just Latin (GSWL and  then ???)

- Creative Writing part of outside class, BWL Freewrite Fridays

- Composition  :confused1:

Logic: thinking adding Fallacy Detective examples to AoA

Fine Art: piano, music theater group, pottery

PE: hiking, canoeing, archery, swimming

Other: co-op classes, youth group, online Leadership class

OR

Math - AoPS Algebra 1

Latin - GSWL then ???

Literature - colloquia books, family read alouds, additional lit

Writing - still  :confused1:

The other things she wants to do but I am not making much effort to plan for her...

• Like 3

We have another change, too.  I added Lial's Introductory Algebra to Life of Fred Beginning Algebra.  I need to get my daughter to slow down in math.  The school year hasn't even started and she's about halfway thru the LOF book.   :glare:

I have had my head in the sand Re: the upcoming school year. My son recently developed an acute interest in science (after Boy Scout Camp this summer where he earned 7 merit badges, most of them science-related) so now I need to start nurturing that interest. Anyway...

Math:  We've done CLE up until now. I'm thinking I may want to switch since it takes CLE 2 years to do Pre-Algebra but I am not sure where to go from here.

Language: We've used LLATL which has been OK but I want more writing.

History:  SOTW3 and some Am. Hx. using various sources

Science:  um....  yeah. No idea now.

Geography: ?

Logic: ?

Computer skills: ?

Art;  artist studies, photography

Music: Hoffman Academy for piano, guitar lessons, composer studies

Foreign Language: GSWL and Rosetta Stone Spanish