Menu

help me with this despute

Melissa in Australia

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is it perfectly OK to go about naked in public ona walking track close to town?

• I think yes everyone should be out there naked
    • No, naked at home is fine, but out in public he should at least have budgie smugglers on
    • fully clothed please
    • just give him a fig leaf to hold when people pass
    • other
  2. 2. What does you partner think?

• naked fine in public
    • naked at home but something scanty in public
    • clothed please
    • other

I saw the naked man again on my walk this morning. this time he was not on the beach , but on the public walkway close to the town he sort of leered at me and said good morning as he walked past.. I have reported him to the police and they say if they find the person and I am willing to testify they will charge him with indecent exposure.

this has caused a dispute with DH and I. I think that anyone walking along naked must be either mentally ill or on something because a sane person knows that this is not a place to walk around in public with nothing on.

DH reckons that there is nothing wrong with a man walking along with nothing on on a well used public walking track through the bush close to a town and that I am making a big deal about nothing.

So here is a poll to solve the issue :tongue_smilie:

My husband would freak the heck out if I was out walking alone and ran into a nekkid man!  I'm pretty sure I would never be walking alone again, and he would probably be on his way to the court house to file my conceal and carry.  I will admit, that would really creep me out and I wouldn't go walking around by myself until he was caught.  But I am a chicken like that.  LIke you said, sane people know better.

Since society has decided with overwhelming majority that nudity should be reserved for specific designated places, he should be clothed.

And I saying this even though I come from a European city that has several public, designated nude, swimming pools run by the city. That does not mean we walk around naked on public foot paths.

I'd think this person is either out for provocation or not playing with a full deck. OTOH, it is unlikely that he is dangerous.

ETA: I find it hilarious that he said good morning.

I find it absolutely amazing that your dh doesn't have a problem with Naked Guy. :svengo:

What would he have said if it had been your 13yo dd who saw Naked Guy instead of you?

Because let's face it, if he was in a public area, he may have come in contact with several other people of all ages, some of whom may have been very upset by his state of undress.

I would be very concerned. The fact that he said good morning is particularly concerning. He could be testing boundaries and seeing how far he can push you. I ran into something similar in a big city, not a beach. I tried to blow it off, pretend I hadn't seen anything and go on. That was the wrong decision. The third time I saw the guy he decided to get too friendly. Happily there were others there who helped me but it could have been bad if I'd been alone. This guy is not right and potentially not safe. Do not laugh it off.

Inappropriate exhibitionism is not limited to the mentally ill and intoxicated, though PCP will do that to you. 

Not at all acceptable. Nudity at home is okey dokey. Nudity in designated areas is just fine. I have enjoyed a nude beach and public baths. No problem. Nature's own out on the street? No. Put on a speedo.

the police came and took a formal statement. I think I might know where the guy lives (not positive) the police are going around to see him and the police told me that if they think he is a pervert they will charge him with both public exposure and indecent exposure in a public place. if they think he is a naturalist they will give him a warning that he has to wear clothes or he will be charged.

The police were very concerned about it because  firstly it is a public walking track  but mostly because he said good morning and didn't seem to be embarrassed at all by his nakedness.

the police came and took a forma statement. I think I might know where the guy lives (not positive) the police are going around to see him and the police told me that if they think he is a pervert they will charge him with both public exposure and indecent exposure in a public place. if they think he is a naturalist they will give him a warning that he has to wear clothes or he will be charged.

The police were very concerned about it because firstly it is a public walking track but mostly because he said good morning and didn't seem to be embarrassed at all by his nakedness.

I'm glad the police are taking this seriously, and I commend you for taking the time to report him. You did the right thing.

Update

Police got back to me. they found the guy and had a word to him. the police decided that he was  a weirdo and pressed charges against him. the police told me to carry a phone when I go for my walk and if I ever come across him naked again to call 000 (Aus emergency) straight away.

They said that he is 82 and probably the court would not uphold the charges.

I must admit, I was trying to go to bed when this thread caught my eye. I am laughing right now at the options on the poll.  I don't really understand the budgie whatever, but as long as he is relatively clothed, I don't have an issue.  DH doesn't either, but he would prefer fully clothed now that he has a teenage daughter.  :)  He had to curtail nudity in the house after hours once we had kids and that took a bit of adjustment since clothes make him itch (skin condition), but nudity in public areas not designated with that in mind is not something either of us would be happy with.  Report him!  Or maybe get a couple of girlfriends together and as he passes, stare, giggle and speak in loud stage whispers about how someone that desperate for attention must not have much to offer a woman. :)

Just caught the update.  Interesting.  I hadn't realized he was not a young man.  Sorry.  Tired brain.  Maybe he's a bit senile at this point?  Or just really tired of having to worry about societal rules?  My grandmother reached a point where clothes drove her crazy and she sometimes would strip them off right in front of large, open windows.  She told me that if people were so desperate that they wanted to stare at a naked 90 year old woman, they could have at it.  With the situation as it now stands, I am not certain I would report him, unless he seems to need help in some way.

Just caught the update.  Interesting.  I hadn't realized he was not a young man.  Sorry.  Tired brain.  Maybe he's a bit senile at this point?  Or just really tired of having to worry about societal rules?  My grandmother reached a point where clothes drove her crazy and she sometimes would strip them off right in front of large, open windows.  She told me that if people were so desperate that they wanted to stare at a naked 90 year old woman, they could have at it.  With the situation as it now stands, I am not certain I would report him, unless he seems to need help in some way.

well I would have guessed 60. He was extremely well tanned.  the whole body.

Maybe a bit of dementia given his age? Either way take the advice about always having your phone seriously. From what I understand more serious offenders start out with more minor things of this nature then progress. Thats why police are taking it seriously. If he hadn't spoken to you and you were in an out of the way place, possibly it wouldn't be such a big deal.

Eta I pretty much always take my phone if I'm walking in the bush near home now... It is fairly secluded.

I have reported him to the police and they say if they find the person and I am willing to testify they will charge him with indecent exposure.

I don't really understand what there is to dispute. He was on public land, yes? It is illegal to be naked in public in that area, yes?

:iagree:   

I had to look up what budgie smugglers were.  Not a fan of speedos, especially not at a venue where they would normally be worn.  What people wear in the privacy of their own homes is fine with me.  But, out in public, please wear clothes.  If I wanted to see nudity, I would go to a nude beach.  I would definitely report the guy.  Dh is even more modest, so it would bug him more.