Menu

Losing weight and having clothes no longer fit

Pegasus

I made some lifestyle changes last summer and have been slowly losing weight since then.  Even I have to admit now that my clothes no longer fit.  My pant are baggy and almost falling off if I don't use a belt and my underthings are loose and unsupportive. 

I still have a way to go, weight-wise, so it doesn't make sense to buy a new wardrobe at this point. I also HATE to shop so combing through thrift stores to find inexpensive clothes to wear for now would be a painful process.

How do people handle this awkward intermediate stage?

Pegasus

If you wear jeans, you could try something like those pregnancy belly bands (maybe not those exactly but something like that, if you are smaller).  I had these jeans when pregnant (not pregnancy jeans) the last time that fell off me before my belly came along (they fit out of the dryer and whatever they were made of made them stretch like mad and become huge).  I bought a belly band from Target and it stretched right over, keeping them up.  Loved that thing.

I think you need to find out what your current size is and then you are going to need to shop a bit.  If stores are a nightmare for you, try shopping on-line.  Make sure you can return and exchange things if they don't fit. 

Congratulations on your weight loss.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: way to go!

When I've lost weight, I usually skip a size and buy a few items the next smaller.

For example, if sizes go A(smallest),B,C,D,E,F(largest), and I'm F, then I skip E and buy D.

Also, you can buy a few items in each size as you get there, and still be able to wear the larger sizes even tho they will be loose.

Keep up the good work!

You have to decide which is the lesser of the evils: trawling thrift stores or shelling out for a few transition pieces. LOL

Do you have anything against skirts? They can be more forgiving than pants, and are good during transitions. When I was losing post-partum weight (and it was a long process because breastfeeding seems to make me HOLD ON to weight, grrr ...) I bought a basic transition wardrobe: two pairs of pants and skirts (one casual, one nicer), and yoga pants for slumming around the house.

Congratulations on your losses, and best of luck as you keep at it!

1. Purchase underwear that fits. You should have a bra that fits. You should have underpants that stay on. You don't need 10 pairs of under pants, but do pick up one multipack of panties next time you go to Target or Walmart.

2. Can you take in the waist of a couple pairs of pants and skirts. You do not need to pull out a all the seams. I did this a couple years ago. I sewed one or two darts in the back of the waist band. It was bunchy, but worked. I wore shirts that over hung the waist on these skirts, so my makeshift size adjustment was not on display. That way I got a little more time out of these items. They did not fall off my waist when I was walking around.

3. Purchase one pair of pants or skirt that fits, so you have something to wear in which you are comfortable. This will come in handy when you need to look a little more put together or just want to be a little more confident.

Buy underwear, two pair of pants, and a few shirts. Long sleeved fitted Ts are cheap and can be layered with looser tops you already have. Just do it. You'll be more comfortable and not aggravated every day. Even if you lose more weight and the new clothes get loose, they still won't be as I'll-fitting as your old ones.

when i went thru this, i found getting a few transitional pieces very inspiring. 

i bought one pair of jeans, one pair of pants, one skirt, one dress for church/outings, and several pretty tops.

i did it all at a 70% off sale at sports chalet... just me, several sales racks, and a dressing room.  it was quick, easy and painless. 

another time, i did it all at Ross'. 

hth,

ann

Agreeing with others--an elastic waist skirt, a pair of jeans, a pair of sweats/yogas, two well-fitting bras, three T's, a blouse, and undies.

T1+ skirt

T2+skirt

T3+skirt

Same with yoga pants

Same with jeans

Blouse with skirt

Blouse with jeans

There--7 outfits. Add in a cardi that still fits you, a scarf or two that you have already to change it up a bit, and you are ready to go for at least a couple of months. 

Congratulations! I lost 25 pounds last spring, but sadly they found me again. 

I've gone from 22w to 16w...I purchased 2 pair of jeans from Costco and 5 Wal-mart tops..like those cute 9.99 ones to go with my sweaters and 2 packs of undies.  I did purchase 4 pair of exercise pants in black from Lands End...that was my largest expense as I'll be able to wear those quite awhile with t-shirts and sweat tops.   I'm making it work until I find a good stopping place.  Like size 14 or 12. 

Buy new clothes that fit you now but just a few. You have worked hard to look better, so go ahead and *look better!!* You might not be done, but why look all frumpy and loose on your way to your desired weight. Go ahead and celebrate that you are healthier and looking better.

I could get away with this for a long time: 1 pair of jeans. 1 pair of "other" pants (church pants or yoga pants or a 2nd pair of jeans, whichever you need most). Shirts--either button down or tshirt (long and/or short sleeve), whichever looks better on you, or a couple of each. A somewhat fitted jacket to wear over top. Not too-tight fitted, you don't want to loook squished in your jacket, but you also don't want something billowing out. You want a jacket that nips in at the waist. A nipped in waist jacket can make you look pounds lighter.

Wear the shirts twice before washing, unless they get stinky. In the winter my shirts don't need a washing after every wearing. If you don't have to wash them as much, you don't have to buy as much.

In a few months there will be a change of season and you can buy yourself another new small wardrobe.

All you need until spring: 2 pair of pants, 5 tops, a jacket or sweater for warmth. I agree with others about checking the underwear situation.

You don't need a lot of clothes.  Two bottoms and three tops will get you through this season.  You'll just have to do laundry more frequently, possibly daily.  It's worth it, to feel good about what you're wearing.  By next season, whether or not you are a bit smaller, you can add another bottom and a top or two.  Think in terms of a capsule wardrobe that you can mix-and-match.  Choose a color scheme and a "look" (preppy, boho, whatever) so things go together to multiply the number of looks you can create from a few items.  Look at websites about travel wardrobes - they have a lot of good ideas about creating a wardrobe with only a few items, mixing and matching, and choosing clothes that are versatile and can be dressed up or down with accessories.  Try going onto polyvore.com to play around with wardrobe themes for the upcoming season.  Don't buy things until you need them - no need for a fancy dress until you have an occasion that requires one.  Choose items with more flexible sizing - elastic waists and less tailored looks - if you want them to last through more weight loss.  Or choose more tailored items if you want to show off the new you. 

Looking good will inspire you to keep going with your lifestyle changes, so it's worth the investment of time and finances.  Thoughtfully choose quality items that fit well.  Just don't over buy.  

Well-fitting underthings are not too costly, and definitely a must-buy.

A good (plain, flat buckle) belt will hold up oversized pants, and you can wear your tops long enough to cover the scrunching at the waist. It helps if you 'arrange' the scrunching after the belt is on, so that there are little 'tucks' near the belt loops, preferably near the back.

For pants that are soft enough, that lack belt loops, you can use diaper pins (on the inside) to create the appearance of tucks -- or you can hand sew them, if you are so-inclined.

Buy one new 'feel great' outfit that fits right now. When you get smaller, it will be easier to 'carry forward' than the ones you are currently carrying forward... Which will be trickier (scrunchier) by that point.

Consider dresses and skirts -- much easier to work with. If you are buying now, and have a ways to go, buy them a touch small-fitting... You'll grow into them.

I stuck to elastic waist skirts and a few tops, at that stage when I knew I still wanted to lose more, post-baby, but didn't want to invest in a wardrobe because I knew my body had changed in other ways (expanded hips, for example) until I was at my ideal.

Now that I'm at my ideal, I build up my wardrobe in stages. When I see a good sale (online usually), I grab things.

Both Emma James and Travelsmith make nice reversible skirts with a bit of elastic in the back (and Travelsmith makes dresses).  There are usually some available on eBay, second-hand, in the $10-$15 range.  It's a nice way to get two looks for the price of one, and you can buy online and not have to leave the house.  Pair the skirt with a couple of cute tops from Target, and you've got a few different looks for very little investment.

Wow. Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all the specific suggestions.  I'm going to check out the suggested sites and store sales and at least buy a few basics.

Thank you, too, for the encouragement!  The process has been both harder and easier than I expected.

If you don't find what you want on clearance and don't want to search through thrift stores, check out a consignment store. The prices are going to be a bit higher than the thrift stores, but will be sorted by size, so much easier to find your size, and the quality will be more consistent.

do you have any adult consignment stores near you?  they can be popular with women who are losing weight as they can make some money on the clothes that no longer fit while finding things in smaller sizes.  while you do have to comb through racks and never know what you'll find, they are generally better quality than you'd find at a thrift store.

I have gone from a tight size 16 to a loose size 10 since late April.  I was lucky in some ways that I had put off (for years) decluttering my wardrobe, so I began to wear items that haven't fit for over a decade when my regular wardrobe was literally falling off.  Even those now are too big as I have lost 40+ pounds.  Somewhere under the house is a trunk with clothing from before dd was born, but it is too much hassle to get to it as we are in the middle of renovations.  Instead I got 2 pair of jeans from a clearance store in town.  One was a dressier pair that I loved, but was a bit too long.  They had a pair in a size too small, so I grabbed that too & had both pairs shortened.  Now I am all set for when I need smaller pants again.  I do have a pair of yoga pants & a pair of sweatpants that have drawstrings, but those are not good for me to wear to work.  Shirts are quite a bit looser than they were back in April, but I'm putting off replacing those until I go to the States in May.  Having a couple pair of jeans that fit & a couple skirts that don't fall off is enough for this transitional stage.

JMHO

I have dropped nearly two sizes and goodwill is my best friend.

Once I month they have a crazy sale and I got kohls, old navy, Eddie Bauer and some other pants all for $2/piece. I knew the scale was going down saw I got 2 smaller sizes so I would be set for awhile.

I did just splurge on $300 worth of new undies and bras from Soma.

I am kinda at that point too. I've lost about 20 and need to lose a bit more.

What has saved me, comfort and everything, are those maxi skirts. They have a flip over band at the top, and the material is like sweats, only you look put together.

I also have some pants from Christopher and banks that are very sharp and comfortable.They tend to run true to size and have room for the womanly shape , iykwim.

I tend to steer away from shorts and sweat pants, for obvious reasons :), but that is just me.

Get just a couple things and:

Throw The Old Stuff Out

Really. get it out. If it is gone you will be less tempted to give up these healthy changes in your life. After buying the new stuff you don't want to have the old stuff in the back of your closet as an escape plan, do you?

Keep one pair of pants if you must, but really consider getting the old stuff OUT. 

I know how hard you have worked. I really do. It is worth it and you deserve all kinds of support and well fitting undies and a new pair of jeans.

But if it doesn't fit you any longer get rid of it