Menu

Flat earth-how do you even deal with this?

Wordsmith

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never met anyone who actually believed it, so I have no idea.  I've seen tons of beliefs (about all sorts of things) by working in our local public high school including tons of creation/evolution deals, but I've never seen anyone who believed in a flat earth.  I've only recently heard of one young chap who doesn't believe dinosaur bones are real.  I haven't talked with him (yet) myself - just heard about it at the science teachers lunch table (literally, right before Christmas break).  At that time we weren't 100% sure if he was telling the truth about his beliefs - or just trying to get attention (not uncommon).  I haven't checked for a follow up.

But in any event, if there are folks who truly believe in a flat earth (as per the link), they are few and far between.

I suppose I should take the time to look at those links so I know where he's coming from assuming that is the way his family believes.  It's still a first for me though.  Creation/evolution issues?  Tons - not an issue at all anymore for me as I know where they are coming from, why, and how to deal with it all in a public school setting.  Dino bones aren't real?  Seriously? I do need to see an "explanation" for that one.

I looked at the flat earth one a few years back when it came up on here.  I've yet to actually meet anyone who believed it though.  Maybe, when I see the dino boy chap, I should ask him out of curiosity.  (Ask, not pester.)

Just finished looking at the links and I still don't see where "lots" of people believe the dinos are fake thing.

The first two links assume dinos are real and just deal with the age issues.  That's typical YEC vs OEC.  Both groups believe that dinos (and bones) were real.

The second two links were just forums.  The first one literally seemed like a troll post.  The second seemed like it had a couple of people suggesting scientists created the bones in an attempt at a hoax to fool mankind into believing Darwin., but I don't really see where they have a "grouping" of people, esp people with science credentials, behind them and any sort of organized thoughts.  The titles listed on the forum sort of make me think the whole thing could be just a farce/troll deal.

Does anyone else have other links?  (I'll admit to being too lazy at this point to look for them.)

We never landed on the moon.

Holocaust never happened.

Earth is flat.

It takes all kinds to make the earth go around……nor not.

It does keep life more interesting though.  If everyone were the same our world would be incredibly boring IMO. 

I know people who believe the first.  IRL I don't know of any who believe the latter two.

There are many who believe various conspiracy theories - and who knows - some might be true.

Then there's Bigfoot... didn't I see a news report last week about some guy claiming to have a body? 

Or zombies... ;)

I like that people have the freedom to believe what they wish about a multitude of things from flat earth to flu shots.  We each can choose which side of each "thing" we choose to align with.

I do, however, hope my boat captain and airline pilot aren't in the flat earth category...

I have one friend who believes some weird things -- all conspiracy theories.  The lastest is that the Vietnam War was created by the government as a means of population control (ours).  Since it wasn't a popular war, the govt changed tactics and "invented" HIV in a lab as a means of targeted population control.

He told me this 2 days ago, and I was flabbergasted and (odd for me) speechless.

He doesn't tell me his theories very often, thank goodness, because I am always speechless, and have to change the subject so that my mouth will work again.  If these tidbits weren't only occasionally dropped into our conversations, I could not be friends with him.  Luckily, 98% of our friendship is based on things we have in common that are not controversial.

I don't think his conspiracy theories make him interesting ... I think they make him sound stupid, and I cannot abide intelligent, well-educated, stupid people.  I can waste my time proving that these outlandish ideas are false, and supply them with facts, and their beliefs don't change.  I'm not rude to these folks, I just steer clear of them.

I believe in the invisible pink unicorn.  Nobody can talk me out of it.

I'll have to introduce you to the parents of one of my kids' friends.  They believe mermaids are real.  They watched a tv show on Animal Planet, which led them to this belief, from which they will not be budged.  They don't understand how two of my kids can be science majors and refuse to believe facts.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/351217

I figure mermaids and unicorns would get along well. 

I'm sure Flat Earth theory is an enjoyable myth for some people. One that makes them feel different and romantic, like the the world is smaller and everyone is on the same side. Frankly, most of the scientific things in our age require a lot of faith for the layman. Often myths speak to their hearts more directly. 

When we started dating, dh was always reading some kind of odd materials when I'd run in to him. The first time he was reading the 12 steps book for Alcoholics Anonymous. The second time it was a book on snake handling. Then there was the manual for the Hollow Earth Society.

Young adults like to try out lots of ideas (I'm not saying that's what dh was doing, he's always been an eclectic, curious sort of fellow). Mostly I listen and I ask polite questions about the things that don't make sense to me. I find that most people haven't thought through everything and if you don't come to it as a debate they are much more open to dialogue. And this kind of thing is always interesting to discuss because at heart it is a narrative, a story. The human heart loves stories. 

The one above that doesn't look like a serious site either. Or maybe we are just spoiled here? :-)

I know a father and son who truly believe the moon landing was fake. But the other stuff? No, no one.

I have to confess that I am on my phone and cannot see the one above it. I will look at all the links when I get to a real computer and have time.

Frankly, most of the scientific things in our age require a lot of faith for the layman. Often myths speak to their hearts more.

A solid base in science would take the mystery out of "most of the scientific things in our age." Science is not faith and a good solid foundation would really help clear up the misconceptions about what science is and what science is not.

I'll have to introduce you to the parents of one of my kids' friends. They believe mermaids are real. They watched a tv show on Animal Planet, which led them to this belief, from which they will not be budged. They don't understand how two of my kids can be science majors and refuse to believe facts.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/351217

I figure mermaids and unicorns would get along well.

Oh, I watched that show too! It was really fun! But I didn't walk away convinced that there are mermaids!! It didn't even look real. The footage was as bad as any big foot or alien footage - fun to watch, but not an unexplainable phenomenon, lol. Especially the boy at the beach who walked up on the mermaid - that was the worst!

Just finished looking at the links and I still don't see where "lots" of people believe the dinos are fake thing.

The first two links assume dinos are real and just deal with the age issues.  That's typical YEC vs OEC.  Both groups believe that dinos (and bones) were real.

The second two links were just forums.  The first one literally seemed like a troll post.  The second seemed like it had a couple of people suggesting scientists created the bones in an attempt at a hoax to fool mankind into believing Darwin., but I don't really see where they have a "grouping" of people, esp people with science credentials, behind them and any sort of organized thoughts.  The titles listed on the forum sort of make me think the whole thing could be just a farce/troll deal.

Does anyone else have other links?  (I'll admit to being too lazy at this point to look for them.)

A friend of mine dated a girl that "didn't believe in dinosaurs". The relationship didn't last long, but she's now infamous in our group of friends as "the girl that didn't believe in dinosaurs."

Oh, and she's a teacher in a public school.

A friend of mine dated a girl that "didn't believe in dinosaurs". The relationship didn't last long, but she's now infamous in our group of friends as "the girl that didn't believe in dinosaurs."

:lol: My DH also knew a girl who is henceforth referred to similarly.  It becomes a bit of a defining characteristic.

my dh has a friend from age 3 and they are now both in their late 50's ..Anyway, dh's friend has become wacky in his theories.  His wife is a bigshot in a company that required her to bring her dh to many business dinners.  He started to talk non stop at these functions about his crazy theories.  Also he was a stay at home dad, his wife made a lot of money and it turned out that he was using all their money to buy silver and has it locked in a vault somewhere.  To protect both her finances and her job, she had to divorce him after many years of trying to get him to give up on his theories.  Also now, his dc do not have contact with him and my dhdoes not talk to him or see him much anymore as his conversations are just wacky and way beyond uncomfortable.

Yeah, we knew people like that, too.  And now they believe in dinos and that people lived with them.  For one class my kids were in, they had the kids draw pictures of people riding dinosaurs.  My kids got a kick out of that.  lol

This doesn't surprise me.  When my boys were in high school, one of them had an English teacher who reported him to the principal when DS1 sent a picture of Cthulhu to another boy.  The teacher thought Cthulhu was a Death God, this was a death threat, and he wanted DS1 to be expelled. 

DS2 had a science teacher in high school who taught that evolution was "just a theory", and was not true.  When DS2 told him the difference between a scientific theory and an untested idea, the science teacher said he was wrong, that there is no difference.

Any idea you know what her reasoning is?  How does she explain what has been found - or still can be found - in the earth (not just museums).

I have definitely come across people who don't believe dinosaur bones are "real" in the sense that they were "put there by the deceiver". I heard an interview with a girl who left the FLDS who said something similar.

Who's the deceiver?  Satan/demons?  Or scientists trying to fool people?

(Seriously trying to understand their reasoning - not to agree with it - just to understand it.)

No. They have webbed hands and are very scary with sharp teeth. You really need to watch more Animal Planet.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GqleRxEDwrg

So the Starbuck's Mermaid is just trying to entice you into a horrible, caffeinated death?  I knew it.

Well, that was an entertaining read.  I had to stop when I got to the part about how "the force known as gravity doesn't exist."   :001_huh:  :smilielol5:

My hs physics teacher said "gravity doesn't exist, the earth sucks."  I think a few of us got it.

Any idea you know what her reasoning is?  How does she explain what has been found - or still can be found - in the earth (not just museums).

Who's the deceiver?  Satan/demons?  Or scientists trying to fool people?

(Seriously trying to understand their reasoning - not to agree with it - just to understand it.)

I have definitely come across people who don't believe dinosaur bones are "real" in the sense that they were "put there by the deceiver". I heard an interview with a girl who left the FLDS who said something similar.

I know people who believe that dinosaur bones were put there by satan to confuse people and shake their faith. I also know people who believe that dinosaur bones were put there by god to test their faith, which seems much more disturbing to me. I mean, why would you even want to worship a god who would do that?