Menu

My counselor says I need a hobby.

caitlinsmom

Load up an iPod or mp 3 with some great music, whatever you like and walk.  Walk thirty minutes a day.  When it is cold bundle up.  Exercise is good for your mood and so is music you love.  If you choose something you aren't interested in just to have a hobby it is going to feel like more work, just another task.  And it is hard to to get excited about something new when you are depressed or feeling down.  But just getting out by yourself and getting your body moving can really help.  

This is a good time of year to start planning a garden. Soon all of the seed catalogs will start arriving in the mail, and IMO they offer a welcome distraction from a long, cold winter. You can spent the first few months of the new year perusing the seed catalogs and starting things like tomatoes and peppers indoors.

I love gardening!  I am on all the seed catalog lists and anxiously await their arrival each January.  This is something I look forward to each year and will continue to do.

What is wrong with coping techniques? Reading is better than drinking or shopping for shoes.

Nothing is wrong with coping techniques at all.  If I were using them in a healthy way right now this thread wouldn't even exist.  However since I am not I need something that will kick my butt into gear.  For me, reading is a way to check out and relax.  When depression enters the picture that "relaxing" becomes hiding and ignoring and only enables my depression and anxiety.  As much as I love books I do not want to go any farther down the depression hole than I already am.  Lucky for me I know this is something I do, something that makes me feel awful, so I decided it couldn't be my hobby.

The thing that has helped me the most through the last five very difficult years is a friend I can meet with a couple times a month and just talk, have lunch, just us no kids. We also talk throughout the week. I joined a Bunco group that meets once a month and use that as therapy time as well. Bible study once a week was a good option for me. Getting away for just a bit with other ladies has really been good for me. Sometimes I really don't want to go out and do these things but usually if I make myself get going I enjoy myself once I'm there. I too use reading as an escape or coping mechanism to a sometimes unhealthy level.

I am not a crafty person and find them stressful, I hate gardening as I can't stand dirt under my fingernails, sometimes when things are really rough my brain just can't take any additional info in so classes at that point would be difficult. I did get myself a little cuddly lapdog. She's sweet and I enjoy her, she came from a long line of therapy dogs and her gift is sensing when someone in the family needs love and cuddles.

I am an introvert but still find the need for adult interaction now and then.

Not sure what your stressors are but getting away from stress for a bit was good for me. I have a child with a mental illness and one with a chronic life threatening disease as well as three others who just need me around. It can be hard to breath at times but I'm learning to take care of myself now as well per their doctors orders. I'm no good to them if I'm not doing okay.

I hope you find what helps you cope and grow.

Thanks for this.  I have a child that has learning and behavioral challenges that leaves me absolutely spent most days.  It is tough to take care of yourself when someone can suck every living thing from you.

I wonder if a consistent volunteer activity that you actually enjoy would serve the same purpose.

This is already on my list to check out.  I love volunteering but haven't done it for the last couple years.

Branch out from drawing.  Keep a nature journal and sketch with colored pencils. Or use water colors or pastels. Even oil paints. Everyone else may still draw, but they can't use your special supplies.  Depending on your mood and how much you want to pull out that day determines the media you use.

I like this idea!  I have been watching YouTube videos about oil pastels and watercolors.  I already have colored pencils and charcoals.  It would be great to play with each a little each week without feeling like I had to know everything about it.  Thanks for the idea. :)

Some YMCA branches will allow you to volunteer in the childcare center in exchange for free or greatly reduced membership (unfortunately the availability of this really depends on the management of the specific branch). That would allow you to do yoga, cardio, strength training, swimming, etc. without adding financial stress.

I don't like knitting with needles but I love loom knitting with the Knifty Knitter. I stopped for a while because youngest DD was bad about getting into the yarn but now that she's older and less of a nuisance I should pick it up again. There's a lady in my mom's church who does medical volunteer work at a hospital in a poor area of Guatemala and she collects knitted/crocheted hats to give to the babies born there. There is also Knots of Love, which collects hats for cancer patients but that program requires you to use specific types of yarn (I understand the reason why, but it's more convenient for me to make the hats for the Guatemalan babies since those can be any yarn).

I have a child that has learning and behavioral challenges that leaves me absolutely spent most days.  It is tough to take care of yourself when someone can suck every living thing from you.

I can't get smileys but {{{hugs}}}. Do you qualify for any respite hours through your state Dept. of Developmental Disabilities/Regional Center? I haven't been taking mine because my state implemented a cost share for those in our income bracket. However, I recently learned that if I can get my DD onto Medicaid through the waiver program, then I won't have to pay a cost-share for Regional Center services. So that's on my "to do" list after the holidays.

I did break down under stress and what helped me was running.  Running is a great hobby in that it hits many points, one being it helps your body regulate the stress. Stress builds up junk inside and running helps physically get rid of it.  Running also gave me solid alone time.  I have 5 kids and am constantly on the go.  Running was just for me and I run alone (well, sometimes with my dh).  After a while running helped me lose weight.  While that wasn't my main goal it was a nice side effect. :)  

I know running isn't for everyone.  But I think when under extreme stress hard exercise can really help.  If not running then maybe kettlebell (I love that too!), or some sort of weightlifting, Crossfit, bodyweight or Insanity type program.  Yoga is also great, and I would recommend meditation even apart from a yoga practice.  

It is helpful to do something for you.  Find what you like.  And I know money can be tight and I'm the frugal type so I know it's hard to spend money on yourself, but you need to take care of you.  You don't have to spend a lot, but be willing to spend something on yourself. 

I have a different one but it's a bit silly.

Get fancy colored pencils and grownup coloring books, and color.

Pencils like Prismacolors or Staedtler or something like that.  You can get them at AC Moore or just Staples.

Coloring books like this one  or this one.

It's semi-mindless, semi-creative like knitting and crocheting, but with zero learning curve.
I find it very satisfying. I do it on the couch, using a sketch board as a table, listening to music.

I've heard of this hobby being recommended for anxiety, and Mandalas in particular are sometimes considered a form of art therapy.

Start writing and see what happens. Children's books, fiction, non-fiction if you have an area of expertise...the sky is the limit. :)

This is what I was going to say! If you're into writing, let me know and I'll tell you where to look for freelance jobs.

Also, I don't think the counselor meant "find a hobby;" I think he really meant to say "find a passion."  When you really, really, really relax: what comes to mind as absolutely awesome?

Pretend you turn 95 tomorrow. . . what is the one or two things you sooooo wished you had done and never "had time for?"

What is something that sounds stupid maybe to others, but absolutely excites you.

Example: I know this sounds inane, but for some reason watching Cupcake Wars really makes me happy. Sounds stupid, I realize. But I love watching how excited the cupcake bakers are and how creative they get. I love watching how serious the judges over something as funny as cupcakes. The whole thing is just adorable.

Now, I realize that Cupcake Wars isn't likely your thing but that's my point: you have things that totally get you going, but you're not admitting them to yourself. You're letting them fly by your radar.

Slow your radar down and really take a long look at what's fun and exciting to you. I love to write. I love Cupcake Wars. I love to read Pinterest. I love reading, period. Why doesn't that count as a passion??

I recently branched into reading about our Founding Fathers and -- omg! -- you should read about Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings, an enslaved woman on his property. They had six kids together and hushed the whole thing up! It was a huge controversy for a billion years and then in '98 they did some DNA testing -- blind; the testers had no idea what family they were dealing with -- and came to the conclusion that Jefferson was likely the father of all six kids. (All were freed by Jefferson and four of them were so white that they lived in white society after being freed.)

Okay. Sorry for the novel. I hope you'll keep us up-to-date on which passion you discovered.

Alley

I have a different one but it's a bit silly.

Get fancy colored pencils and grownup coloring books, and color.

Pencils like Prismacolors or Staedtler or something like that.  You can get them at AC Moore or just Staples.

Coloring books like this one  or this one.

It's semi-mindless, semi-creative like knitting and crocheting, but with zero learning curve.

I find it very satisfying. I do it on the couch, using a sketch board as a table, listening to music.

I've heard of this hobby being recommended for anxiety, and Mandalas in particular are sometimes considered a form of art therapy.

I'm going to start coloring tomorrow!  I bought myself some grownup coloring books, markers and colored pencils that will be just for me.  I've wrapped it all up, and it's my Christmas gift to myself.  Yep, it's even under the tree.  I can't wait!!! :-)

Nothing is wrong with coping techniques at all.  If I were using them in a healthy way right now this thread wouldn't even exist.  However since I am not I need something that will kick my butt into gear.  For me, reading is a way to check out and relax.  When depression enters the picture that "relaxing" becomes hiding and ignoring and only enables my depression and anxiety.  As much as I love books I do not want to go any farther down the depression hole than I already am.  Lucky for me I know this is something I do, something that makes me feel awful, so I decided it couldn't be my hobby.

Right. I suggest forms of bibliotherapy often to certain clients.

But not others. ;) Reading does not change the brain chemistry, the neural pathways or neurotransmitters (mood chemicals).

I applaud you in being willing to hear and follow the therapist's suggestions. Good work!

Unless there was more to it,  "Find a hobby"  seems rather dismissive to someone hanging on by a thread. . However, if this advice is helpful to the OP, I'm glad. .

There was much  more to it than that, however this is all I am willing to share on a public message board.  I do find the suggestion helpful because until he said it, I hadn't realized that I had let all my hobbies go and no longer did anything for myself.  The suggestions in this thread have been helpful in giving me some new things to look at.

I received similar advice. It was not "get a hobby" as much as the push to take care of myself, which includes continuing therapy, eating well, not dabbling into unhealthy coping strategies such as excessive eating, drinking and/or drugs. Doing something just for me (a hobby) is self care.

There was much  more to it than that, however this is all I am willing to share on a public message board.  I do find the suggestion helpful because until he said it, I hadn't realized that I had let all my hobbies go and no longer did anything for myself.  The suggestions in this thread have been helpful in giving me some new things to look at.

Cooking has been a good hobby for me especially since it's already built into the budget and it's something that has to get done. If I can make cooking a meal into something relaxing and fun, it makes such a huge difference for me.

My family isn't always pleased with my hobby, but it works for me. ;)

OP, something else seeing a conselor gave me the courage to do was to tell DH I need a break, not just a partial "you're in the house too" break, but an actual "Mommy is not here or in charge" break.  He has since taken over doing dishes and is doing more "play" activities with the kids.  I know it seems a small thing, but I hate doing dishes with a passion.  My love language is acts of service, so having someone else do them is a big thing for me.  :)  DH spends most of his time in the same area (basement) as the laundry room so he's stepped up to do laundry as well.  All he has to do is switch stuff between machines as he passes by.  But, it took me saying that I needed extra help to get things moving. 

Also, set a specific dollar amount that you can agree is OK to spend on your hobby and then spend it without guilt.  Even if it is just $20, the mental step that you take to move to doing something for yourself without guilt is key.  :grouphug:

ETA: My absolute favorite hobby used to be singing in the church choir until a new member joined who drives my introvert self bonkers.  So be discerning if you do choose to participate in a group.  I also wouldn't start with volunteer work until you are feeling better.  If you need to take a break for some reason, you may end up feeling guilty about that too.  KWIM? 

I have received similar advice a while ago and you know what? It works.

Slowly, I started drawing again, exploring different mediums and techniques. Zentangles are my go-to way to zone out and relax.

I haven't seen embroidery mentioned. Supplies are cheap, you work at your own pace and it takes very little space.

Lately I've started to learn calligraphy too. So much fun!

What about doing whatever pleases you?  What if you spend time just looking and listening for what gets you going and interested again, and if the feeling and observing is the most important thing you can do right now?  

Naming a hobby might be just the thing, or it could feel like another obligation/responsibility.  But if you set out to explore whatever you feel like doing and listen to that...garden planning, sudoku, sketching, a yoga dvd, get on Pandora and turn up whatever era of music brings back good memories for you, do dot-to-dots, color with crayons, sculpt with clay....  After 2-3 mos doing what pleases and excites you, maybe you will get a sense what hobby/interest/part time work that you love.  I did notice the self-portrait in your avatar!  This is one of the hardest things for me about homeschooling and taking care of special dietary needs in my family, really being able to hear my own interests and desires.  Your voice and your desire are compelling and as you make more space for yourself, you will discover amazing things.  It is extremely painful, especially for introverted creative personalities, to be at the beck and call of others' needs all the time.  I don't know if this is the case with you, but listening to your own voice will give you clarity.  And it's a blessing, more than a curse, that that voice within you insists on being heard.

Amy

I'm a fan of the Society for Creative Anachronism. It provides a social setting, chances to learn things (especially about history), you can be crafty if you want to, you can shoot things (with arrows) or get into combat (with heavy armor and wooden swords or lighter rapier fighting) for physical activity, events tend to be day-long indoors when weather calls for it, or weekend camping when in season; you can join and go to things like sewing circles, fighter practices, archery practices, etc. without going to an event. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities, it being a nonprofit educational organization run by volunteers. The whole family can become involved, or you can do things as a getaway for just you.

What about doing whatever pleases you?  What if you spend time just looking and listening for what gets you going and interested again, and if the feeling and observing is the most important thing you can do right now?  

Naming a hobby might be just the thing, or it could feel like another obligation/responsibility.  But if you set out to explore whatever you feel like doing and listen to that...garden planning, sudoku, sketching, a yoga dvd, get on Pandora and turn up whatever era of music brings back good memories for you, do dot-to-dots, color with crayons, sculpt with clay....  After 2-3 mos doing what pleases and excites you, maybe you will get a sense what hobby/interest/part time work that you love.  I did notice the self-portrait in your avatar!  This is one of the hardest things for me about homeschooling and taking care of special dietary needs in my family, really being able to hear my own interests and desires.  Your voice and your desire are compelling and as you make more space for yourself, you will discover amazing things.  It is extremely painful, especially for introverted creative personalities, to be at the beck and call of others' needs all the time.  I don't know if this is the case with you, but listening to your own voice will give you clarity.  And it's a blessing, more than a curse, that that voice within you insists on being heard.

Amy

Thank you for everything you said but especially the bold part.  This is the best way to describe some of what I have been feeling.  I feel so guilty when I start feeling resentment being at the beck and call for everyone.  Even though I am not, it feels that way and  you're right, it is painful.  Thank you for putting into words what's been lolling about in my head with a million other things.  :)

I'm a fan of the Society for Creative Anachronism. It provides a social setting, chances to learn things (especially about history), you can be crafty if you want to, you can shoot things (with arrows) or get into combat (with heavy armor and wooden swords or lighter rapier fighting) for physical activity, events tend to be day-long indoors when weather calls for it, or weekend camping when in season; you can join and go to things like sewing circles, fighter practices, archery practices, etc. without going to an event. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities, it being a nonprofit educational organization run by volunteers. The whole family can become involved, or you can do things as a getaway for just you.

I have never heard of this before.  It might be worth a shot!  I will google to see what I can find.

It sounds like you used to have hobbies.  Are there any of them that you really miss?  

It sounds like you used to have hobbies.  Are there any of them that you really miss?  

Not really.  My tastes and interests have changed a lot in the last couple years.  I have a few things I like to do but not enough to really inspire me to wake up so to speak.

However, I think I've found "the" hobby for me.  Last night after spending much time on YouTube watching art videos, yoga, dance, etc, I came across a video for art journaling.  I watched a couple more and for the first time in a long time I felt excited about something.  It combines my crazy need to create, my love of words, and its compact enough to toss in a bag and hit Starbucks (after the art part is done anyway).  I am doodler by nature and fill notebooks all the time with this and that.  Why not add some color to it? 

I really liked the suggestion to write but I am not one to sit and fill pages.  Quick bursts of though or feeling are how I work.  I think the art part will be healing/calming while the writing will help me come to terms with life but in small doses.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I am going to try a lot of ideas here and there and see what else I might enjoy.  I appreciate all the help. :)

ETA:  For Christmas my dh gave me a charcoal drawing kit, watercolor pencils, oil pastels and a sketch book.  :)  He said he knew I needed something creative and hoped at least one would catch my eye.  I'm excited to use all of them!

Why doesn't reading count as a hobby? I think it is! I read all the time and it is my absolute favorite hobby. If you like to read, get out, and go read in a coffee/tea shop (or a park in the spring and summer) and just enjoy not being interrupted, asked to do anything, etc.

I agree! Reading is my passion and it fits me as an introvert.

Not really.  My tastes and interests have changed a lot in the last couple years.  I have a few things I like to do but not enough to really inspire me to wake up so to speak.

However, I think I've found "the" hobby for me.  Last night after spending much time on YouTube watching art videos, yoga, dance, etc, I came across a video for art journaling.  I watched a couple more and for the first time in a long time I felt excited about something.  It combines my crazy need to create, my love of words, and its compact enough to toss in a bag and hit Starbucks (after the art part is done anyway).  I am doodler by nature and fill notebooks all the time with this and that.  Why not add some color to it? 

I really liked the suggestion to write but I am not one to sit and fill pages.  Quick bursts of though or feeling are how I work.  I think the art part will be healing/calming while the writing will help me come to terms with life but in small doses.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I am going to try a lot of ideas here and there and see what else I might enjoy.  I appreciate all the help. :)

ETA:  For Christmas my dh gave me a charcoal drawing kit, watercolor pencils, oil pastels and a sketch book.  :)  He said he knew I needed something creative and hoped at least one would catch my eye.  I'm excited to use all of them!

That's sweet of your DH.  Glad you've found something new and exciting.  You've piqued my interest, too.  I'll have to check out art journaling.  I am no artist, but I do like to doodle.  And I think I might like the idea of journaling in fits and spurts rather than feeling pressured to fill the pages with words.  So, thank you!

One thing that is really good for me is participating in community theater. I love acting. I love to become someone else for awhile, it really gets me out of my own head! Plus, I meet all kinds of interesting people who I would not normally cross paths with. It's really a break from my life! It does take cooperation from your dh though, close to performances it is very time consuming.

That's sweet of your DH.  Glad you've found something new and exciting.  You've piqued my interest, too.  I'll have to check out art journaling.  I am no artist, but I do like to doodle.  And I think I might like the idea of journaling in fits and spurts rather than feeling pressured to fill the pages with words.  So, thank you!

Youtube is filled with videos and ideas.  There are a lot of women who seem to pick a quote that speaks to them and create a whole project out of it.  The one that really caught my eye was a woman who did a very simple watercolor/pastel/sharpie drawing combo.  Afterward she wrote about 5 sentances.  In her narration she tells how the picture really depicted the feelings she was having and the words shared how she was going to overcome those feelings.  That exact idea is what I need right now.  I need to show the feelings then come to a resolution.....without anyones input.....without guilt....all by myself.

Tonight I drew an eye with a tear (based on a

).  All around it I added my thoughts on crying, why I don't cry, how it makes me feel, etc.  After I was done I closed the book, took a deep breath and walked away.  I nearly cried from the relief!! lol.

Anyway, I can see how each person would do it differently based on their current state of mind and experiences.  Give it a try.  It might be your new hobby ;)

I write, paint and play violin.  Writing and violin are fairly cheap but my version of painting is not.  I have some friends that make crazy, non traditional art quilts.  Book making is fun as well (and combines art and writing).

Violin and painting in particular offer some challenge and sense of accomplishment as well as putting me in a state of flow. 

Get a puppy. 

It will keep you company,  completely adore you, and a bonus will be the exercise! 

Puppy obedience classes. Fly ball classes….. the list of fun you and your puppy can have is endless! 

Seriously. My poodle doodle loves me so much I'm never alone when I'm home. 

Embroidery is sewing without the big mess to drag out. You could start embroidering quilt squares and sew them into a quilt later.

This is a great idea.  My daughter received some embroidery stuff for Christmas and wants a partner to help out.  I love embroidered quilts and I have a ton of scrap fabric already.  Do you recommend any pattern companies?  I don't think I've ever seen anything at JoAnns that inspires me. lol :)

OP, you sound a bit better already -- as you describe your new hobby of choice.  

I'm glad you found something and are starting already.  Starting something new was sooo helpful for me when I struggled through a period  of depression.  Best wishes to you!

Thanks.  I am feeling a bit better.  I stayed up late last night just filling pages with ideas.  I had no idea all this was stored in me.  I dreamed about art last night so I woke up this morning with a bunch of fresh ideas.

Check out Danny Gregory's work:  http://www.dannygregory.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Matters-Danny-Gregory/dp/1401307957

I love this!  I'm headed to the library and have added a couple of his books to my list. Thanks for sharing.

Last night I realized I like to draw everyday things.  I did an apple, a Christmas tree, a dirty plate.  After I went to bed I decided that part of my journal really needs to focus on these simple things because its these things I am so grateful for.  I have so much heavy stuff to work through that I want to find those things I am grateful for so I don't get bogged down, even in my journal.

Thanks again for sharing. 

I hate exercise as well.  But I found I really enjoyed jazzercise/dance since it was focused more on the music.  I still got the benefits of the exercise (including the mental health benefits), but I enjoyed the music aspect of it.

I get the rural thing though..I'm not doing jazzercise now because it is too far away.

Love all the ideas though!  My situation and likes seem to be like yours, and I need the ideas as well...

I love this!  I'm headed to the library and have added a couple of his books to my list. Thanks for sharing.

Last night I realized I like to draw everyday things.  I did an apple, a Christmas tree, a dirty plate.  After I went to bed I decided that part of my journal really needs to focus on these simple things because its these things I am so grateful for.  I have so much heavy stuff to work through that I want to find those things I am grateful for so I don't get bogged down, even in my journal.

Thanks again for sharing. 

It sounds like Gregory's work will be a perfect match for you!  So glad I could be helpful. 

I hope this pursuit gives you all you need and more.  {{caitlinsmom}}

This is a great idea.  My daughter received some embroidery stuff for Christmas and wants a partner to help out.  I love embroidered quilts and I have a ton of scrap fabric already.  Do you recommend any pattern companies?  I don't think I've ever seen anything at JoAnns that inspires me. lol :)

Aunt Martha's has neat iron on kits. Also, I use carbon paper to trace onto white or cream fabric and then you can use lots of things like coloring book pages or you could draw your own art. (use some of your therapeutic drawings maybe?)

Also, if you are introverted and need to get away, why not sit in the library and stitch an hour or so each week. It might be soothing if you are feeling so drained. For me, I often just need the time away because if I try to do it at home, I end up being "on call."