Menu

Good teen makeup/skin care for gift?

marbel

My daughter is turning 15 next month.  She wears a little eye makeup and likes experimenting with colors.  She is also interested in taking care of her skin.  (Well, so am I.)    I'm not interested in her putting anything manufactured in China on her skin.  But, we don't have a ton of $$ for high-end stuff either.

With those restrictions, what are the good brands for teen skin?  Makeup, skin care, either/both.  A gift set would be nice. I do like some of the color palettes I see. 

When I turned 18 my mom gave me a gift certificate to Merle Norman.  I don't know if they still exist but at that time they did mask-like makeup.  I'd like something a little more up-to-date.  :D    Now, I don't wear much makeup.  My eyelashes are so sparse mascara just looks goofy.   So I am out of the loop on this stuff now.

I use Clinique and took my teen dd there as well. I don't know if you would consider it pricey, though.

This stuff is amazing. Both my dds, 11 and 13, use it and so do I. They've had almost no problems with acne since using this stuff as well.

Thanks!  I guess I should have defined pricey, huh?   Now that I think of it, I'm not sure myself.   I guess I will just look at recommendations and see.  Good stuff may be more expensive than I think. 

Dd and I both use Clinique. I have used it since my early twenties and honestly don't spend that much because I always buy when there is a bonus and use most of them. Dd uses my samples primarily. ;) We both really like the super city block a very light tinted sun screen which is one item that I buy.

I love Clinique. I used it in my early 20's when I was working. Now that I'm not, I go with Neutrogena, but I would love to use Clinique again. :) My little sisters started using Clinique when they hit their teens, too.

I use Clinique and took my teen dd there as well. I don't know if you would consider it pricey, though.

This stuff is amazing. Both my dds, 11 and 13, use it and so do I. They've had almost no problems with acne since using this stuff as well.

I love this stuff.  It's how I survive winter. 

I also use Clinique stuff.  Get on their email list and twice a year or so they have Bonus Time, where you spend a relatively small amount of money and get a bunch of freebies.  That's how I've gotten all my eye makeup for a couple of years now.  I'm a lipstick junkie so I still need to buy plenty of that separately, though.

My 12yo uses Liz Earle hot cloth polish for a cleanser (so do I), and it soothes her very sensitive skin. It's pretty natural, comes from England, and lasts a long time. http://us.lizearle.com/cleanse-tone-moisturise/cleanse-and-polish-hot-cloth-cleanser.html

Sephora has a section called 'value sets' with lots of fun collections. I just bought some Sugar lip sets for mom and MIL: http://www.sephora.com/sugar-kisses-mini-lip-trio-P383127?skuId=1551290

I want to buy this gift box for my daughter's BF so badly: http://www.sephora.com/makeup-academy-palette-P381158?skuId=1534858

It looks like a lot of fun for someone who wants to play with color. Guaranteed to create at least a few insane looks!  :lol:

For skin care, for a teen, I'd also go with Clinique.  I used it then, and my DD17 uses it now.  It helps keep breakouts at bay without being overly drying.  I can't use it now, but it was great when I was a teen.

For colors, I'm a huge fan of the eyes shadow palettes by Too Faced.  I use them, my daughter uses them,  my best friend and my sister both use them. They have just enough pigment without going overboard.  The colors are all nicely coordinated.  And best of all, they come with how-to instructions for each look!  It's what I bought for DD17 to help her learn how to wear eye shadow properly, and it worked like a charm.   There are several different palettes.  

Another Clinique user here. Most major department stores have two give-aways a year (in my area, it's Macy's and Bergners) and if you register on their website (Clinique's, I mean) you'll get email notifications of online sales, special deals, freebies, online giveaways,  etc. The freebies are a great way to try products you might not consider before. 

I'd go to Whole Foods or a natural foods store, and get her some natural skin care products.  Personally, I love jojoba oil.  It's the main ingredient in many skin care products, and (unlike many other oils) does not cause breakouts.  Pure jojoba oil can be purchased pretty inexpensively (I get 100% pure organic jojoba oil for under $10 at my heath food store) and it's wonderful for the skin.  

I would check out the beautipedia site.  The articles there are wonderful and make it easier to find brands and items that work for your skin type.  I put together a daily skin care routine for myself using the articles and reviews.  I use some Clinique products, but there are some I cannot use without breaking out or sometimes even drying out.  They do use some irritating ingredients for certain skin types.  Their Dramatically Different Moisturizing lotion is horrible for anyone with skin prone to breakouts or oiliness, though the gel version is good.  Their Clarifying lotions can be irritating too--except the Mild Clarifying lotion, which I love.  I've found the Beautipedia reviews to be helpful and they reflect my experiences (meaning reviews of products that have not been good for my skin actually mention it isn't good for my skin type and why).

My favorite make up item Clinque sells is Quickliner for Eyes.  They have a slight sparkly appearance.  IT's very subtle, but looks much nicer than other liners.

I have some drug store bands I use too, but I usually consult Beautipedia before taking a shot in the dark.  I've made too many mistakes in the past, and advertising claims mean nothing (good idea to teach your Dd that buyer beware also applies to cosmetics).  It looks like Neutrogena has some good ratings.  Here is the Beautipedia review for Clinique's Mild Clarifying lotion..

Mild Clarifying Lotion puts all of Clinique’s other Clarifying Lotions to shame with its alcohol-free formula that contains 0.5% salicylic acid at an effective pH of 2.9. Although a higher concentration of salicylic acid would be more effective for someone battling blemishes and blackheads, this is a step in the right direction and contains some very good skin-identical ingredients. This has a toner consistency and can certainly be used as a toner, but functionally it works best as a liquid BHA product. 

I would look at Origins for teen skin care. It's another Lauder brand (like Estée Lauder and Clinique). The products are light and ideal for teen skin.

For makeup, I really like Aromaleigh (aromaleigh.com) mineral makeup. I have used the brand off and on for 10 years. You can get sample baggies of all the colors and samples for things like eyeshadow last a very long time.

I'm 47 years old and just recently found the moisturizer I plan to use for the rest of my life. I've been waiting this long and finally found it.  Prior to this my favorite was Burt's Bees Day Radiance. I liked its natural ingredients but it was spendy. My new favorite (even with shipping!) costs less than half the Burt's Bees moisturizer picked up from the local store. 

It's THIS from St. John's Monastery in Goldendale, Washington. The one I use is Coconut Aloe which I picked up in person and am not seeing on their website, but I think all that's different between the versions is the scent (which is really mild). It's very creamy feeling. I put some on my fingers and then add some water to it and it spreads all over my face and neck nicely (and this also extends the life of one jar). The ingredients are all-natural, something like: virgin coconut oil, mango butter, sweet almond oil, glycerin, vegetable emulsifying wax, palm stearic acid, aloe vera gel, real cucumber extract, and fragrance. Love, love, love it. 

I bought my dd14 a brand of cleaner and moisturizer I had never heard of before called "simple".  She doesn't want to wear make up yet so not having to worry about that much but she is starting to have issues with acne so hoping this stuff helps.  My nana used to give me clinque stuff every xmas when I was a teen, it made me break out in rashes and acne so I stay away from that stuff.  If this brand doesn't work for her I will likely just get her the olay line since that is what I use.  As for make up, when she is ready for it we will be going with a mineral makeup rather than the typical department store stuff if I can swing it $$ wise.

"Simple" is great. This is the brand everyone recommended to us when we moved to the UK for sensitive skin. Good basic shampoo, lotion, soap......Sold all over here.

I bought my dd14 a brand of cleaner and moisturizer I had never heard of before called "simple".  She doesn't want to wear make up yet so not having to worry about that much but she is starting to have issues with acne so hoping this stuff helps.  My nana used to give me clinque stuff every xmas when I was a teen, it made me break out in rashes and acne so I stay away from that stuff.  If this brand doesn't work for her I will likely just get her the olay line since that is what I use.  As for make up, when she is ready for it we will be going with a mineral makeup rather than the typical department store stuff if I can swing it $$ wise.

For a teen with a limited budget, I recommend Almay products. You can get them at Target, WalMart, etc.. While I use a mix of products now (Clinique, Almay, Ulta), I used Almay exclusively for years. They remind me very much of Clinique. Years ago when I went to a dermatologist, both Almay and Clinique were on the list of recommended make up and skin care products. I think that their products are high quality, last a long time and are easy on the skin. 

Another idea might be to go to an Ulta store. They carry a wide variety of brands, but not the high end department store brands (they carry Almay, but not Cinique, for example). They have their own house brand as well. They do offer help finding correct shades of makeup, skin care products, etc.. I've always been impressed with the knowledge that their floor salespeople have. They will let you try products in the store before you buy them. I have some Ulta eye shadows and eye liner pencils and they are a really good quality. I purchased this makeup set there as a Christmas present for my 14 year old niece. It is the Ulta brand  and has a variety of different makeup possibilities for her to play with. Ulta also has coupons in the Sunday paper ($3 - $5 off entire purchase w/no minimum purchase) and has a frequent shopper club. I believe they take manufacturers coupons as well, but I'm not sure. 

I use and love Clinique foundation... but it is pricey.  I wear their Superface Double Powder and apply lightly with a fluffy brush.  Then I use "drugstore" brands for blush, eyeshadow, lip gloss, etc.  My foundation is my only "splurge."

What about a Clarisonic?  That plus some nice Neutrogena (or similar natural/gentle) cleaner/lotions?

If you're willing to experiment, there are tons of "boutique" mineral foundations out there, that supposedly use no harsh ingredients or all-natural.  I used to love playing around Everyday Minerals and Sassy/Lauress Minerals but I had a hard time finding a color match.  But their samples are inexpensive and fun to play with!

Guest inoubliable

My daughter uses Mario Badescu.

You beat me to it! MB is fantastic and I absolutely recommend it. 

As far as makeup goes, I'd stay away from most things in the drug store and hit up a Sephora counter if you can. 

Guest inoubliable

You recommended it here on another thread and that's how I found out about it. :)

I guess I'm quite the fan. :D 

Glad it's working for your daughter. 

Dd also uses Clinique, but they didn't have any great gift packs.  Since we're on a tight budget this year, that meant Clinique was out for my holiday shopping.  I saw a Black Friday ad for an awesome makeup box at Ulta for $18.99 plus tax.  It has three trays - eye, lip, blush, etc.  The box comes in either black with red lining or cream with hot pink lining, and they still had lots left last week.  Perfect for a teen. 

Oops!  I didn't see TechWife's post about Ulta.  Ulta is awesome.

• 6 months later...

I took my daughter to the makeup counter at Macy's and asked them what the best skin care routine would be for her.  They talked to her and gave her some samples to try.  I bought her some cleanser and moisturizer and she got one of those free bags filled with trial size items.  We also get an IPSY bag once a month.  It costs $10 a month and we get five higher end items each month.  This allows her to try different makeup, nail polish, and skin care items without a big investment.  My teen nieces also like to try the items. 

Another vote for Bare Minerals. It is the only make up I can wear without looking like Ernie from Sesame Street  :lol: as it blends well with my skin tone. A friend of mine who is a skin care consultant uses Bare Minerals herself. I don't know your daughters skin but I also suggest a good daily moisturizer, if she is fair make sure it has a high SPF. Same friend recommends Elizabeth Arden which can be pricey (I got mine in the tax free at the airport so check if you know anyone who is traveling soon) but it is worth it. :)

We like Origins and Bare Minerals. Clinique too.   I've been told that Origins gives you discounts if you save their containers, although I haven't tried it.  I have one daughter who loves experimenting with makeup and would like to possibly go into makeup artistry someday.  I was looking into giving her a year membership to a monthly makeup/women's product sampler called Birchbox, although I'm not sure what the prices are.

http://www.birchbox.com/