Menu

And how about Christmas gifts for the college student who's impossible to buy for?

Catherine

Reading the thread about parents who are impossible to buy for, I thought of my 20 yo son, whom I have almost nothing for so far. He is hard because he has so few material wants-since early childhood, he asks for almost nothing. He is just too content! LOL! Unlike his younger brother, who gives me a very long, annotated and footnoted list (I'm not kidding!), this guy simply doesn't ask for much of anything. Truthfully, he is broke so I know he'd probably appreciate some spending money, but I sort of hate to give that as the main gift.

Last year he was planning a trip and we bought his plane ticket, but this year, no trip. I've hinted at clothing, books, toys (he juggles), and he says he doesn't need anything.

Give me some ideas!

I am having the exact same problem. We are doing gift cards, but I wanted to do something a little different from B&N, food, and movie gift cards he will be getting from the rest of the family. What I have decided is to do is give him a gift card to go snow tubing ~ enough for him and a friend as well as gas money. He has never been, but I think he will enjoy doing something different... Can't be all study and no play ;)

Sounds like my 20 yo boy!  He has, in the past, asked for wool socks and an electric toothbrush lol.  This year he is getting a board game, blue-tooth headphones (there are a variety of styles and prices on these), lounge pants (like sweats but not as heavy), and an audiobook (still have to get that).

I was talking with him last night and he mentioned that a lot of the engineering kids like the Bose noise cancelling headphones.  They use them to study with and they, according to the kids, are better than the Beats by Dre.  I think they are around $300.  I think he would like those, but we are also going on a ski trip so we've reached the max for spending.  He does have a birthday coming up, though.

I have one of those minimalists too, and they are hard to buy for! One year he told me he wanted cash to give away so we did that. My one saving grace is that he is a musician so he can usually come up with something, even if it's a pair of the usual drumsticks or earbuds. 

Last year I did a pair of nice headphones. I also started him a small toolbox and included a Leatherman multitool and a set of very small screwdrivers that can be used for glasses and instrument repair. I know his need for it isn't high right now since we have a garage full, but it will get used through the years.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-66-039-Jewelers-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B00002X29G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387123572&sr=8-1&keywords=stanley+jewelry+screwdrivers

OK, Chipotle gift card for sure as he loves their food and there is one on campus. Also I looked at the MAA website (he is a probable math\physics major) and am trying to decide which of their two journals is best. Their third journal is clearly aimed at teachers so wouldn't be right. Anyone know? OK, I just discovered on their site he can get both plus several other publications by becoming a student member. Of to get enrollment verification...

Yes, I do think it's important to be selective with the gift cards lest they be ignored. But one or two would be good.

DS19 is the same so this is what he is getting this year.

Cash

Movie tickets

Lanyard from his college

Sweatshirt from his college

Books and models for a game he plays

A Geek cook book

An emergency kit for his car

A couple of CDs 

Studio Ghibli films from his sisters (Sprited Away etc)

I thought that would be sure fire but my guy has received a lot of gift cards through the years and tends to set them aside. I just saw his stack and I'll bet he still has half of them.

There are places that buy back gift cards.  You get about 1/2 to 3/4 of the value so you do lose out on quite a bit, but if they are just going to go to waste anyways.....

Another thought for unused gift cards is to plan a Gift card spree weekend.  DD15 did this one time and had a blast.  We combined all of out misc gift cards and just spent the day using them up.  :0)

OK, Chipotle gift card for sure as he loves their food and there is one on campus.

Make sure it can be used on campus! A friend bought ds a Subway card since there is a Subway on campus. The campus location does not take coupons or gift cards because of their agreement with the school food services.

The last two years we have bought ds 'grown up' gifts.

We bought a tool box and tools to go in it (he is now the 'go to' guy on his floor when someone needs a tool!). He puts it in his car when he travels, but leaves it in his dorm while at school.

He has also received a small power inverter for his car so he can just plug in his phone with the regular plug if needed, and not need the adapter. It will also power his small vacuum (no car washes where he is, so no place to vacuum), and it has two USB ports, too.

We also got him a tire inflator that plugs in to his car's power source. We use those things constantly ~~ tires, bikes, rafts, sports balls....

He was happy to receive all of those things. In fact, he said that he is looking ahead in time to when he gets his own place, so is quite happy to start accumulating things like this. He is also wanting to get his own copies of favorite movies like Band of Brothers, the LOTR movies, etc.

My ds doesn't care for gift cards because they take up room in his wallet. That is hard, because we want to get him other things, too!!

Our college ds is getting:

A college sweatshirt

gift cards to off campus foods he loves

a new skateboard (everyone rides them on campus)

mag subscription

hair trimmer (the one thing he asked for)

digital camera from the grands

Make sure it can be used on campus! A friend bought ds a Subway card since there is a Subway on campus. The campus location does not take coupons or gift cards because of their agreement with the school food services.

We had the same problem. Sent ds a gift card to Chick-Fil-A as he loves their lemonade. They would not let him use it in the on campus location.

Last time I saw my son, I thought he could use a new coat.  I didn't know where to begin with that, so I asked him.  He went looking online and sent me a link plus a savings code.lol I just plugged in the numbers. I am also getting him Target & Trader Joe gift cards. There is always a need for food, and toothpaste...

I've noticed too, that even a child who asks for nothing doesn't refuse a card with money in it. :)

If he doesn't have a car, could he use a bus pass?

We're giving our college freshman godson an expansion for Cards Against Humanity (warning: not for everyone!), which we gave him for his birthday and is proving popular in the dorm.

Does he get cable in the dorm? Would a Roku or Apple TV and netflix or Hulu Plus subscription be welcome?

Touchscreen gloves, so he can use his smartphone, etc without removing the gloves?

Fitness tracker? They seem popular now.

A good Swiss Army knife?

Box of his favorite snacks plus a promise to send a new box each month?

Gift card for pizza delivery or other local restaurant that delivers to the dorm?

Everyone in our family, even the less-athletic ones, currently appreciates good-quality workout clothes. We like hitting the Nike outlet and getting good sweats, shorts, socks, etc. Dh appreciated his recent Christmas gifts of cold-weather workout clothes for his bootcamp class. I was just thinking that it might be the kind of gift that would suit ages 8-50 as it does our family!

You are also describing my son. Last year we got him a membership to the zoo in his city, one that he could take a friend in with him for free. He LOVED it! This year we are planning on giving him a membership to the aquarium (in addition to renewing the zoo). He loves things to do in his town.