Menu

When you receive practical homemade gifts you think...

jenn-

I am considering making hot pads and/or oven mitts for the women in the family (ie MIL, Mom, Grandmother, My Sister, and the random aunt of DH's I seem responsible for coming up with). 

I am thinking of hot pads like this one but with a design my embroidery machine will do.

And matching gloves like these or similar.

In the end though, how do you really feel about getting hot pads and oven mitts for Christmas?

I love practical gifts, especially homemade ones.

And especially if the gift is one of those "I need to give something, but what do I give?" gifts from someone who might otherwise give me a candle, sweater, mug or bath salts. LOL

Those oven mitts look great!

I love personal, practical, handmade gifts.  :)

One of my all time favorites was a set of personalized towels from SIL - she used her embroidery machine to put names on.  She's also done cute bags.  I hope she has your idea on her list to do next!  It would be easy to personalize for each family.  

To be fair, I grew up in the art show "circuit" and at her hey day, my mom was doing 38 shows a year up and down the east coast.  Juried shows, some of the top rated nationally.  So it's possible that my opinion is skewed toward handmade items due to my upbringing.  

Totally depends on the gift.  Your hotpads and oven mitts? I would love that- but I cook and bake a lot, and they will be put to use almost daily.   Homemade spice blends, oils, hot sauces, etc?  Love those.

Someone gives me candles or bath salts or other "pamper yourself" homemade thing... they clearly don't know me very well, and those things will get recycled.

A crocheted or knitted item?  Meh.  Depends what it is, but I knit myself.  So I can appreciate the time and effort (especially if using good quality yarn), but a quick scarf crocheted with cheap acrylic yarn?  Not so much.  It would be worn a few times to be polite.

I think homemade/handmade gifts are wonderful, but they are not one size fits all, and I think that gets forgotten sometimes.  You still have to take the individual into account with each gift.

I would totally love those for Christmas! (or anytime)

The only problem I've run into with receiving homemade gifts is that the giver is thinking more of what she likes rather than what the receiver might like.  Style has been an issue - cute sayings painted on sweatshirts in bright colors for the boys are simply not our style and will not be worn.  Homemade cereals made with lots of nuts just won't be eaten.  In both instances I feel badly for the giver.

I think hand made gifts are great. And I certainly understand when someone is making the same type of gift for everyone. As one or two other people have mentioned, however, not everyone "identifies" with his or her kitchen. I would never say anything, but I don't particularly appreciate being given items for my kitchen when every other single member of my family uses it and benefits from it, too. My hobbies are not related to my kitchen, but everyone else in my family tends to get small gifts that are personal while I frequently get stuff for our home. Things for our home should go to us all, the way I see it. 

I would really love and appreciate a homemade practical gift like that.  That being said, you have to know the person you are giving them to.  I know if I did that for any of the women in my family (sisters, aunts, mom, or sil who are married to my brothers) they would love it and use it.  If I made something like that for my dh's sister's, mom, or aunts they would not.  They don't like practical things.  They can buy themselves practical things. They want the things that they won't spend the money on themselves to get.  And I appreciate that.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!  And thanks to those that are pointing out that not everyone would like them.  The more I think about it, my little sister doesn't cook much and they may not get used.  Then again, maybe I should pair them with a good beginners vegetarian cookbook because the girl is nearly 30 and still relies heavily on my parents to feed her (and she doesn't even live with them).

I am considering making hot pads and/or oven mitts for the women in the family (ie MIL, Mom, Grandmother, My Sister, and the random aunt of DH's I seem responsible for coming up with). 

I am thinking of hot pads like this one but with a design my embroidery machine will do.

And matching gloves like these or similar.

In the end though, how do you really feel about getting hot pads and oven mitts for Christmas?

I would love to receive one of those hot pads for Christmas!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!  And thanks to those that are pointing out that not everyone would like them.  The more I think about it, my little sister doesn't cook much and they may not get used.  Then again, maybe I should pair them with a good beginners vegetarian cookbook because the girl is nearly 30 and still relies heavily on my parents to feed her (and she doesn't even live with them).

I think it's very thoughtful!  But just my opinion, that kind of gift *could* be taken more as a judgement or admonishment than a gift depending on how it's handled.  I've recieved "gifts" of "helpful" housecleaning tips books and supplies from my mom, who is a passive-aggressive sort about how I handle my house and family.  Thanks Mom.  But you probably know your sister better than I do, so feel free to disregard my experience.  :D

I think they are lovely.

It depends on the person you are giving them to.

I happen to have a plethora of hot pad and mitts to the point I've boxed some up and put in the attic.

I would think they were lovely and thank you and add them to the attic box for growing young adult children to choose to use when they move out.

However, I can't own too many chunky knit socks. ;)

I'd love it. Especially if it were truly practical. Not like homemade bath salts or something like that. Even in my "soaking in the bath" days I hated salts. But that's beside the point. The point is, yes, pot holders that are usable, and not just decorative are a wonderful gift.

I agree w/ Lady Marmalade. Some homemade gifts are ok, others not so much. (Though the time spent & the thought behind the gift is certainly appreciated.)

I might use the hot pad, probably wouldn't use the oven mitt. (I have potholders I like already & don't want any more.) Plus, I'm not much of a cook, so kitchen stuff is not the biggest thrill to receive as a gift, imo.

I'm trying to figure out how to post without sounding ungrateful. I do love homemade, practical gifts. Love them. Some of my all-time favorite gifts are from my arty SIL. And homemade cookies and candies will be appreciatively gobbled down, completely ignoring that I usually avoid sugar :)

But as with all gifts, it is also more about thinking about what the receiver's tastes are. I've gotten handmade bath salts before, which would be great if I hadn't been living for years in a house with just those teeny tubs that no grown human can ever bathe in. I do almost none of the cooking in this house; the kitchen is more DH's domain. So kitchen gifts are pretty much for DH, who would rather just use a dish towel for a hot pad than find where we stuck any actual hot pads.

You can send hers to me! :D

Every few years my sister sends me hotpads & oven mitts. Even though hers aren't handmade I still enjoy it because for some reason I hate buying them myself. If they were handmade that would make the gift awesome!