Menu

Gift giving to people you just don't like- Ideas please

jenn-

These are the people that you are related to and are obligated to do something for them.  In this case it is my evil SIL.  Last year I made her kids angry bird crochet hats, and made BIL and SIL lime green hats to be the piggies (no face on theirs though).  No idea if any of it was used as I only see these guys when I am forced into it (aka MIL doesn't mention they will be there and we show up or major holidays).  What kind of gift do you do in these situations?  We've tried the whole, we won't buy you anything and you don't buy us anything, but DH still likes to do something for his brother.

Is there something small that you can get her. Something inexpensive that will mean something to her?  I recently had to buy something for someone that has wronged my family.  I found out they really wanted a personal size coffee pot. So for sixteen dollars I was able to buy something I knew they would use and appreciate. I am not really close to this person but wanted to get something they wanted. I hate buying presents for people that they won't us or don't like.  If I am going to spend my money I want to buy the person something they will like.  It makes me happy that my money was not wasted.

Do you like BIL?

Do a couples gift that you know at least he will appreciate.

Not particularly.

I was thinking of doing something small, but I really don't know much about her anymore.  She was not always the evil SIL and I liked her for a long time (then she tried to get my DH fired and potentially arrested on false claims).  I am a crafter and that is usually my go to idea getting spot, but thinking about making her something again makes me want to barf.  Maybe I can do a xyz recipe in a jar or something.  Any links to good ones?

I would do some type of food gift that you know will be eaten.  Better that than putting time into handcrafting something that they may or may not use.  

ETA: how about one of those big holiday tins of assorted flavored popcorn?  That could count as a gift for the whole family.  Once you eat the popcorn, the tins are great for storing holiday stuff (decorations, etc.).   It's practical, inexpensive, and takes care of the whole family in one fell swoop.  ;)

Okay, so my first question would be whether or not you are seriously attempting to the the bigger person:)

Sounds like others are giving you some good ideas, but this situation screams for a bit of fun, so...

The little evil on my shoulder sends this advice:

Instrument lessons for kids- anything loud works, but percussion is particularly nice. Maybe an AC/DC album as wellfor inspiration.

Huge furry slippers in various, hideous, but trendy characters. ThinkGeek always has some great ones.

Speaking of ThinkGeek, a collection of bacon-flavored/bacon themed goods is sure to please. Nothing says I love you like bacon! (Said from the bottom of my vegetarian heart)

Subscription to random magazine, particularly in a topic of little interest...this gift keeps on giving the whole year long.

Something handmade, the tackier the better, so that it is necessary to be displayed when you visit.

A collection of self-help books in a beautiful basket.

Angry bird mittens to go with last years hats. Two gifts for the price of one:)

I saw an little container with grow your own carnivorous plants the other day and was sorely tempted.

A beautiful sweater in a color that is simply not flattering.

However, if you are honestly trying to be thoughtful, please ignore the above! Maybe something from the following...

A family-night basket: a DVD or a couple of red-box coupons, pizza coupon or crust mix and sauce, popcorn, a small game, etc..this looks nice but isn't too pricy.

Last year I gave my SIL an Omaha Steaks subscription. Every month they delivered a package to her door. She seemed to really like it...and of course there are companies with similar deliveries...like coffee or chocolate.

A calendar-lots of companies do these now, with pictures of your family, artwork, etc...you can even get several made up for all those gifts you need for people not as well-loved.

Hhmm..strange how my nice list is much shorter than my naughty list!

Okay, so my first question would be whether or not you are seriously attempting to the the bigger person:)

Sounds like others are giving you some good ideas, but this situation screams for a bit of fun, so...

The little evil on my shoulder sends this advice:

Instrument lessons for kids- anything loud works, but percussion is particularly nice. Maybe an AC/DC album as wellfor inspiration.

Huge furry slippers in various, hideous, but trendy characters. ThinkGeek always has some great ones.

Speaking of ThinkGeek, a collection of bacon-flavored/bacon themed goods is sure to please. Nothing says I love you like bacon! (Said from the bottom of my vegetarian heart)

Subscription to random magazine, particularly in a topic of little interest...this gift keeps on giving the whole year long.

Something handmade, the tackier the better, so that it is necessary to be displayed when you visit.

A collection of self-help books in a beautiful basket.

Angry bird mittens to go with last years hats. Two gifts for the price of one:)

I saw an little container with grow your own carnivorous plants the other day and was sorely tempted.

A beautiful sweater in a color that is simply not flattering.

However, if you are honestly trying to be thoughtful, please ignore the above! Maybe something from the following...

A family-night basket: a DVD or a couple of red-box coupons, pizza coupon or crust mix and sauce, popcorn, a small game, etc..this looks nice but isn't too pricy.

Last year I gave my SIL an Omaha Steaks subscription. Every month they delivered a package to her door. She seemed to really like it...and of course there are companies with similar deliveries...like coffee or chocolate.

A calendar-lots of companies do these now, with pictures of your family, artwork, etc...you can even get several made up for all those gifts you need for people not as well-loved.

Hhmm..strange how my nice list is much shorter than my naughty list!

As much as I would prefer the top half, I will probably try to be the bigger person, cause I am a good person naturally (Not to mention she is psycho and I would be scared of retaliation).  Thanks for mentioning the calendar thing though.  My kids are supposed to be making calendars for their grandparents.  I just need to find where I hid the blank calendars.  Nevermind when I bought them two months ago the idea was they could each make a page a week for each one.  Crunch time now!

You mean like my brother's step-daughter's live-in "significant other" whose nickname (out of his earshot) is "dishrag"?  LOL.

The most un-thoughtful but still civil gift I can find.  Preferably on sale at WalMart.

Examples:  yet another cheap multi-tool, a tin of popcorn, a "gift set" of Christmas mugs and hot chocolate, a cheap "throw" blanket....

If it is someone a little closer I would do something like a generic "happy thoughts" book and some small thing related to his/her hobby or interest.  A pretty decorative box at TJ Maxx or nice (but on sale) Christmas ornament or the like.

Guest submarines

Order some chocolate treat, candy thing for the whole family. You could even have it sent from Amazon. They'll love it and you won't have to fuss and muss.

Definitely from Amazon. This way she won't be able to claim that you poisoned her. 

I'm thinking about buying my bil the local city coupon book.  He loves to save $$ and it would bless my sister if she went out of the house more often.  I'm suggesting my dd make a coupon book for some free babysitting, only because my sister loves to shop and always "accidentally" buys the wrong size it magically fits me or my daughter, usually my daughter.

Edited:

Just re-read thread, I'd still suggest the local city coupon book, it would benefit the whole family and you can spend your time making me some lovely red mittens instead! :)  I promise to love them and appreciate them! LOL

For those suggesting board games, I wish they would appreciate them.  Their kids are 6 and under and all 3 boys are great at video games (even the 2yo) because that is what they do.  I was thinking of maybe some bon bons (do these really exist) some coffee, since we know that's what we SAHMs do all day.

I feel no obligation to give things to people I don't like just because I like their sibling or they married one of mine. I'd give gifts to the kids and call it good. But then I've been poor enough for the past few years that I just don't try to give gifts to anyone, we can't afford it.

Not particularly.

I was thinking of doing something small, but I really don't know much about her anymore.  She was not always the evil SIL and I liked her for a long time (then she tried to get my DH fired and potentially arrested on false claims).  I am a crafter and that is usually my go to idea getting spot, but thinking about making her something again makes me want to barf.  Maybe I can do a xyz recipe in a jar or something.  Any links to good ones?

She tried to get your DH fired AND arrested?  May I lovingly suggest the book Boundaries for your DH?  :leaving:

:grouphug:  Yeah- definitely go for a family gift- food- something the kids will enjoy too. I'm so sorry that family stinks sometimes. I pray you have so many blessed and wonderful memories this Christmas that all the :ack2:  is wiped out of your memory.  :grouphug: 

These are the people that you are related to and are obligated to do something for them.  In this case it is my evil SIL.  Last year I made her kids angry bird crochet hats, and made BIL and SIL lime green hats to be the piggies

I'm still stuck on actually making gifts for people you don't like! To me, handmade gifts like a crocheted hat are signs of love, and I can't imagine spending the time to make one for someone I don't like!

I agree with the rest. Buy some simple, civil gift and be done. It's not worth all the thought and angst.

She tried to get your DH fired AND arrested?  May I lovingly suggest the book Boundaries for your DH?  :leaving:

:grouphug:  Yeah- definitely go for a family gift- food- something the kids will enjoy too. I'm so sorry that family stinks sometimes. I pray you have so many blessed and wonderful memories this Christmas that all the :ack2:  is wiped out of your memory.  :grouphug:

DH has nothing to do with her either.  She is married to his brother.  We don't have anything to do with him either after he stood by her when it all came out.

I'm still stuck on actually making gifts for people you don't like! To me, handmade gifts like a crocheted hat are signs of love, and I can't imagine spending the time to make one for someone I don't like!

I agree with the rest. Buy some simple, civil gift and be done. It's not worth all the thought and angst.

If it makes it any better, the yarn was a whopping $2.99 and I got both hats out of that done in about 2 hours with yarn leftover, so I did it to be cheap.  Just like I think I am going to do recipe in a jar brownies or cookies because I can just raid my pantry for ingredients and I already have the jar.

I'd also go with a food gift, or some other consumable.

We've made these chocolate chip cookies in a jar many times as Christmas gifts, and they are always a HUGE hit.

Chocolate Chip Cookies in a Jar

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 1/2 cups flour mixed with 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/4 tsp. salt

Layer ingredients in order given in a 1 quart wide mouth canning jar. 
Press each layer firmly in place before adding next ingredient.

Label to be attached to jar--

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1. Empty jar of cookie mix into large mixing bowl.  Use your hands to thoroughly blend mix.

2. Add:  1 1/2 sticks butter or margarine, softened.

1 egg, slightly beaten

1 tsp. vanilla

3. Mix until completely blended.    You will need to finish mixing with your hands.

4. Shape into balls the size of walnuts.  Place 2 inches apart on sprayed baking sheets.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 to 15 minutes.

6. Cool 10 minutes on baking sheet.  Remove to racks to finish cooling.  These cookies don't firm up until completely cooled.  Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

I think you should search some of the “worst present ever†threads and get ideas from those. :) My SIL (who I think likes me) once got me a bunch of Spanx pantyhose. At the time I had never heard of them and her reason was that they were “her new favorite and so terrificâ€. They were way too small. I suppose I should have been thankful that they weren’t way too big. 

My SIL - who I don't think really liked me :lol: once gave me what  were unworn, but new, clothes from her closet. They were pretty, but looked like nothing I would wear and didn't fit. When I tried to return them, the store told me they had been purchased 3 years before that! Maybe you have something in your closet you are looking to get rid of?

With three young boys, I'd stick to that - gift card to movie, pizza, kid friendly restaurant, children's museum, chuck e cheese, magazine subscription for kids, etc. Good luck being the bigger person.

My SIL - who I don't think really liked me :lol: once gave me what  were unworn, but new, clothes from her closet. They were pretty, but looked like nothing I would wear and didn't fit. When I tried to return them, the store told me they had been purchased 3 years before that! Maybe you have something in your closet you are looking to get rid of?

My MIL once gave me a bizarro knick knack complete with a birthday card in the box addressed to her.  Re-gifting at its finest!

I like the recipe-in-a-jar idea for OP.  It sounds easy and inexpensive to put together, and they might actually use it.