Menu

Potlucks -- has anyone but me never, ever been to one?

Catwoman

It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be gray and it's gonna last for the rest of your life.

You've been saying the exact same thing for days and days now. And I keep hearing that same song on the radio every morning. Hmmmmmmm...... ;)

I've been blacklisted from potlucks now, haven't I?

Me and my big mouth. :glare:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cat - Not only have I been to a potluck (how do you think I ate during grad school?), but we had a potluck Hors d'oeurvres reception for our wedding. 

I thought grad students subsisted on receptions for guest speakers. We used to rove in packs, sitting in on presentations we had zero understanding of just so we could graze the snacks table afterwards. I once expressed some guilt about this to an event organizer, but she assured me that it was why they had food in the first place. "Otherwise, nobody would ever come to these stupid things."

Hey you host one I'll show up.  I'll bring 10 different kinds of booze.

Will you come to mine, too?  And does this mean you'll require me to supply food?

The truth is I've been to a bajillion of them, just like everyone else except freaks like Cat.  I just don't like them.  Despite the fact that I don't always return my shopping cart to the corral, I keep a very clean kitchen.  I don't know that everyone else does the same, or washes their hands, or whatever.  If it's my sisters, I deal with it.  If I've been to people's houses or I know them really well, I'm fine.  Stranger food?  No thanks.  I don't buffets, either, for the same reasons.  

I'll drink your booze, though, without a moment's hesitation.  

I'd just make a mental note not to eat their dish. 

I much prefer organized covered dish gatherings.  You asked different people to bring categories.  Have a few bring salads, a few bring bread, a few bring side dishes and so on.  That way we don't end up with 20 desserts and no main dishes..

But that's why it's called a pot *luck*. :-)

I hate it when someone says there's going to be a potluck in a month and then asks me what I'll bring. Um...I may not know until the day before the potluck, and it depends on how much money is in my checking account and what my time is like.

I went to a girl's night Friday night and it was a mini covered dish...bring a yummy appetizer and a bottle of wine. And a wine glass. LOL....it was fun.

You've never been to something like that even?

Nope.

Either the hostess cooks, hires a caterer, or books a room in a restaurant. I don't think it would occur to any of us to ask people to bring anything. I mean, people show up with hostess gifts or a bottle of wine or something, but there's no requirement to bring anything.

OK you potluck know-it-alls...

How does one find out about these mysterious potlucks of which you speak?

The first rule of Potluck Club is: You do not talk about Potluck Club.  

Sorry.   :lol:

Don't know what to tell you.  I've been to TONS of potlucks, and I'm neither from the South nor have the majority of the potlucks I've attended been church-related.  Potlucks just....happen.   :p

Maybe you need to host your own potluck in order to break into the NYC potluck scene.   You know, bring those potluckers (is that a word?) out of hiding.   :D

Nope.

Either the hostess cooks, hires a caterer, or books a room in a restaurant. I don't think it would occur to any of us to ask people to bring anything. I mean, people show up with hostess gifts or a bottle of wine or something, but there's no requirement to bring anything.

I just figured it out...You are one of the Real Housewives of NYC aren't you?

I just figured it out...You are one of the Real Housewives of NYC aren't you?

LOL!

I think someone should lock the Real Housewives of NYC and New Jersey in a room together and see who comes out alive.

Imagine the carnage.

"There was nothing left but some hair extensions and acrylic nails, officer... and it looks like one poor woman was strangled with her own Spanx."

Nope.

The only potlucks or BBQ style potlucks I went to are for hubby or my big extended family.  Even then the bulk of the food is catered.  The rest of the parties I attended all have caterers.  Most of the time the hostess supervise the caterers :) My neighborhood mum's club does a mommy nights out or book club potluck style but I have never attended so I don't know what dishes people bring.

Potlucks aren't formal. They may or may not be all homemade food.  They may or may not be organized.  The ones I go to are often part of a group gathering where someone might offer their home for the venue but others in the group help to bring the meal or the dessert, but without putting too much of the burden on one person.  Most invitations for dinner that I go to are not potluck unless they are hosted by the elderly generation who again, we want to share the burden of the meal while not making them have to go out.  

The only pot-lucks I've been to have always been family things.  I never been to any that were groups of semi-strangers/acquaintances.

Until next week, that is.  We are having a pot-luck Thanksgiving lunch at work next week.  I'm bringing the beer.  Yes, I work in an office that allows drinking at work, during working hours. 

You're right. I really need to stop name-dropping like that. I'll make that part of my New Year's resolutions (no sense in starting now, what with all the celebs I'll be hanging with at holiday potlucks). :tongue_smilie:

I wonder if you'll meet the one womanintheshoe has been dreaming about.

Potlucks aren't formal. They may or may not be all homemade food. They may or may not be organized. The ones I go to are often part of a group gathering where someone might offer their home for the venue but others in the group help to bring the meal or the dessert, but without putting too much of the burden on one person. Most invitations for dinner that I go to are not potluck unless they are hosted by the elderly generation who again, we want to share the burden of the meal while not making them have to go out.

I don't belong to any clubs. Maybe that's why I never hear about these things.

Who's that? I must have missed that post. If it's Kevin Bacon, I'm sure I can make a connection. :p

It's the "Oy... this is embarrassing" thread. I'm on my iPad so I can't post a link, but it's on the Chat forum right near this thread.

And it's not Kevin Bacon, because someone already guessed him and was wrong. :)

The only pot-lucks I've been to have always been family things.  I never been to any that were groups of semi-strangers/acquaintances.

Until next week, that is.  We are having a pot-luck Thanksgiving lunch at work next week.  I'm bringing the beer.  Yes, I work in an office that allows drinking at work, during working hours. 

You must work with my brother. He can drink at his work as well. 

wait does it count if I host a board game night and everyone brings a different alcoholic drink? Because if so, than I have to change my answer to yes I've been to a pot luck. The best damn kind in existence

It sounds sort of potluck-ish to me, but as we all know, I'm no expert.

It sounds sort of potluck-ish to me, but as we all know, I'm no expert.

the only reason I don't consider it a pot luck is because I don't ask them to bring anything and certainly provide them with food and booze.  So maybe its just a hostess gift and they all know what I like!

It's the "Oy... this is embarrassing" thread. I'm on my iPad so I can't post a link, but it's on the Chat forum right near this thread.

And it's not Kevin Bacon, because someone already guessed him and was wrong. :)

Thanks - just read that entire thread.  Too funny.  I haven't been able to get on the boards much lately.  Looks like I've missed some fun.   :tongue_smilie:

Wow, I can't imagine never having been to a potluck! Mormons in Utah get potlucks from several angles: our church, our neighborhood, and gatherings of our huge families. I love potlucks! There are always certain people who bring their delicious signature dishes. Some of my very favorite recipes are from potlucks.

If it helps any... in my first 30 years I had never been to a potluck.  Since then I've been to at least 50 as a very conservative estimate. 

So you might not be a complete freak.  You might just be due for a LOT of potlucks.

LOL!

I think someone should lock the Real Housewives of NYC and New Jersey in a room together and see who comes out alive.

Imagine the carnage.

"There was nothing left but some hair extensions and acrylic nails, officer... and it looks like one poor woman was strangled with her own Spanx."

Everyone please take note: Catdid not deny. Just saying.

I grew up thinking that if anybody got together, everyone brought food. When it's small family requests might be made such as, "Do you want to bring desert, salad, or buns?" When it's a larger group like at a wedding shower or a church get together or big family reunion, well then everyone just brings whatever they feel like and the main host makes sure there's a main course (usually just BBQ). In the summer time here, potlucks of some sort are a weekly thing. In the winter, usually about once a month except for during the Christmas season, then there is specialized potlucks. There will be pie potlucks, cookie potlucks, and favorite holiday dish potlucks.

I'm not really fond of them. They tend to be too large of crowds for me and too noisy. I grit my teeth and deal with them because I know it's just the norm for this area.