Menu

Potlucks -- has anyone but me never, ever been to one?

Catwoman

I have never been to a potluck supper, lunch, dinner, breakfast, brunch, or any other event with the word "potluck" in the title.

We don't even do the potluck thing at family parties. If you host a party, it's all on you to provide the food and beverages.

Am I the only one?

IMPORTANT NOTE: If this thread goes on for a little while, and it looks like I really and truly am the only one, I hope at least a few people will lie to make me feel like I'm not a complete freak.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been to one. Family things are different though. The rule is dad will make the meal but if you don't want store bought desserts then the kids better make those.  Me not being a baker means I never bring anything.  Occasionally my dh will make a pie because he enjoys doing that when he has time

Welcome to Freakdom. :D

I hope we're not the only ones. :)

oh, i was only trying to make you not feel alone. i've been to lots of pot lucks. you need to come to the beaches of florida here and i'll introduce you to a crazy world of mennonite potluck meals! lol. talk about rolls and desserts that will blow your mind! (i'm the one that signs up to bring drinks, lol)

or maybe we can have a cyber pot luck??? :D

I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM OUT OF "LIKES" AGAIN. :glare:

I swear I only liked a handful of posts today and I ran out of likes almost immediately. I wanted to like all of the responses to this thread, but I can't.

I'm starting to think the Like Fairy doesn't like me. :glare:

There is a particular term for those who habitually run out of likes...............

That wasn't very God-honoring of you.

Oops. Wrong thread. ;)

You know I was just thinking how much time I've wasted on here the last few days.  But then I read something like this and laugh  hard enough to realize its completely worth it.  Making dinner can wait..... Who am I kidding I'm ordering a pizza tonight because I was too exhausted to go to the grocery store(15 hour car rides will do that to you.)

You know I was just thinking how much time I've wasted on here the last few days. But then I read something like this and laugh hard enough to realize its completely worth it. Making dinner can wait..... Who am I kidding I'm ordering a pizza tonight because I was too exhausted to go to the grocery store(15 hour car rides will do that to you.)

A 15 minute car ride will do it to me.

(Mostly I just like pizza.)

I have never been to a potluck supper, lunch, dinner, breakfast, brunch, or any other event with the word "potluck" in the title.

We don't even do the potluck thing at family parties. If you host a party, it's all on you to provide the food and beverages.

Am I the only one?

IMPORTANT NOTE: If this thread goes on for a little while, and it looks like I really and truly am the only one, I hope at least a few people will lie to make me feel like I'm not a complete freak.

I never, ever went to one when I was growing up. Rarely did family things when I was growing up, either.

As an adult, I've been to many potlucks, but those are different than when I invite people to my home for a meal or other special event. :-)

I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM OUT OF "LIKES" AGAIN. :glare:

I swear I only liked a handful of posts today and I ran out of likes almost immediately. I wanted to like all of the responses to this thread, but I can't.

I'm starting to think the Like Fairy doesn't like me. :glare:

W......h.......0......r........e

:-)

I wish I could do dinner potlucks. I am so sick of having to think about dinner every day.

Almost every company meal growing up and church function was potluck. I can't even count how many bowls of red jello with marshmallows I ate growing up.

Hundreds, probably. I grew up Lutheran.

You know I was just thinking how much time I've wasted on here the last few days. But then I read something like this and laugh hard enough to realize its completely worth it. Making dinner can wait..... Who am I kidding I'm ordering a pizza tonight because I was too exhausted to go to the grocery store(15 hour car rides will do that to you.)

I know.

The last few weeks have been super tough, health wise. The laughter I've had over a few threads here today has absolutely been medicine for the soul.

Thanks to all of you!

Am I the only one?

LOL.  Yer hilarious.

We don't call them potlucks.  We call them covered dishes.  And I have been to 100s.  I've never known anyone who has never been to one.

You bless their heart and make a mental note to never invite them again.

I'd just make a mental note not to eat their dish. 

I much prefer organized covered dish gatherings.  You asked different people to bring categories.  Have a few bring salads, a few bring bread, a few bring side dishes and so on.  That way we don't end up with 20 desserts and no main dishes..

LOL.  Yer hilarious.

We don't call them potlucks.  We call them covered dishes.  And I have been to 100s.  I've never known anyone who has never been to one.

You do now. :)

I asked my dh and he has never been to one, either.

Freaks attract other freaks, I guess. :D

That sounds pretty freakish unusual to me. I've been to two potlucks in the last two weeks. I don't know how I could avoid them even if I wanted to—and I don't. The pie potluck we had at work last year was fabulous.

I think I could get into the pie potluck thing. :thumbup:

But first I'd have to stop at Costco to pick up a pie. And maybe some applesauce for Quill, in case she still needs it.