Menu

Musing about the Passing of Offering Plates in church

Ginevra

The church I go to is very modern and on top of new technology and trends. You can give on-line via the website; you can even set up auto payments if you want. I'm not carrying a purse anymore (in the wake of having my purse stolen - 'nother post) and have begun to avail myself of the digital pay option. But it's caused me to think about this practice a little. Why does a church "need" to pass offering plates? 

FWIW, dh is not thrilled that I'm doing the on-line pay, based solely on the fact that it appears we are not contributing when we pass the plate along empty. I think that's shallow and Pharisaical, but I do see where he's coming from. This is why the question comes to mind. What purpose is there for passing the plates except social pressure? Especially in a modern setting, in a church that fully embraces technology. When I go to the movies, I can buy tickets ahead on-line, or I can buy them from a kiosk at the theater. When our church has major event sign-ups, they have manned tables in the lobby where you can get help for signing up if digital registration is intimidating. Couldn't they use any or all of these strategies to collect tithes and offerings? 

Thoughts on the practice? Thoughts on doing away with the practice? 

Our church has a payment kiosk in the lobby and all event registration is done online. They still pass the collection buckets for people that prefer to give tithe or offering in cash or check form, and for guests to drop their visitor cards in.

Ours is still pretty low-tech so I imagine it’s just easier not to set it up online. There are also quite a lot of older people who I think might feel uncomfortable with online giving. And it’s a nice way for kids to contribute their bit, it you have kids do that. They could also do it online but it’s more tangible for them to put a quarter of their allowance in the offering plate (it’s actually a velvet bag thing) than to do it online. Even so, it may be a practice that is more tradition now and will eventually be replaced. 

I also would say in all the years I’ve been in church I’ve never noticed if other people are giving or not or felt that others are looking to see if I’m giving. 

As the member of of church who uses both the passing of the plate and online options I think that you would see a drop in giving if you went to an online only model. My guess is that those who would routinely give online already do and that most of those not giving online now would drop off in thier giving not so much because of social pressure but because of the phenomenon of out of sight out of mind.

I'd love to see actual numbers about what happens when the giving model changes.

I am very, very against online giving to church. We refuse to do it, even though our church has recently set it up. There is something important in physically brining your offering to the Lord, imo. Also, when your offering is automatically deducted from your account, it can just become another obligation, something you don't even think about. And giving back to the Lord should be something you think about, with great intention. I do also think it's a good example for our children to see us giving, because if we were giving online, they wouldn't have that model at all, but I don't care at all about what anyone else in the church thinks. They shouldn't be paying attention to who is putting what into the basket anyway!

Things other than offerings go into the plates. Children can not easily avail themselves of online opportunities to give. And some still prefer doing things the old fashioned way.  Certainly I didn't set up online giving at our current church right away. I waited until the trust built.

As the member of of church who uses both the passing of the plate and online options I think that you would see a drop in giving if you went to an online only model. My guess is that those who would routinely give online already do and that most of those not giving online now would drop off in thier giving not so much because of social pressure but because of the phenomenon of out of sight out of mind.

I'd love to see actual numbers about what happens when the giving model changes.

Sure, I don't think on-line only would be optimal, but my thinking was you could have collection stations and/or giving kiosks that would allow you to use any monetary method you wish. There could even be a child-height basket for tangible money kids give.

And I just found this.  Apparently, this pastor, trying it in two churches did experience a 6-week fall in the first church, after which the church grew both in numbers and in giving, while in his second church, there was no fall and positive results there as well. 

In the churches where I hang out, nobody pays any attention to whether or not someone puts in money or a check when the basket passes by.  For all one knows, the person near you put in $1,000 the previous week, and is done for the month.  It is not anybody's business, except for the parish treasurer -- and him/her only because once a year a "statement of giving" is provided for federal tax purposes. 

Passing a basket (or plate) around is a community action.  We are a community supporting the parish as a community.  No need to "sterilize" the joy of giving into some high-tech process.  

Only once was I bothered by a collection basket.  The church was one of those with pews, and ushers walked down the aisles, shoving a basket attached to a pole down the pew in order to reach people.  I thought it genuinely offensive. 

I am very, very against online giving to church. We refuse to do it, even though our church has recently set it up. There is something important in physically brining your offering to the Lord, imo. Also, when your offering is automatically deducted from your account, it can just become another obligation, something you don't even think about. And giving back to the Lord should be something you think about, with great intention. I do also think it's a good example for our children to see us giving, because if we were giving online, they wouldn't have that model at all, but I don't care at all about what anyone else in the church thinks. They shouldn't be paying attention to who is putting what into the basket anyway!

See, we love it. DH is on staff and I am working as a volunteer 3 out of 4 Sundays; we can't even remember to sign the registry most weeks, remembering to take care of the check before we were halfway home was causing unnecessary stress. (I am a person who often struggles with out of sight out of mind syndrome and when we are at church I have got a lot to keep focused on beyond the piece of paper in my purse.)

Wow. I think that is an assumption that just isn't true. Definitely not for my family. We are not financially wealthy & give each month in total surrender and faithfulness without fail. We don't even own a checkbook & use our bank to pay people and bills. My husband gets paid once a month & I schedule our tithe then. I could equally say I don't need people to see me give a dime & that we are fine knowing it is between us and God only. Do not think online giving equates to somehow being less honoring than those that don't tithe online. We model giving in every way to our children, tithing is just one facet of that. My children give faithfully each week, both financially and serving. As does my husband. As do I.

Couldn't you still do this if there was a giving kiosk at the door or in the lobby? You could still intentionally bring your cash or check and do it that way if you want to. 

Our church has little cards in the pews where the offering envelopes are - the little cards say something to the effect that you gave electronically. You can put one of those in the plate instead of your offering envelope.

Personally, I refused to use the little cards. IMHO, what I give is between myself and God and nobody else's business. Whether I give electronically, or I write on one big check a month and give nothing the other weeks, or I just didn't get my check written out in time this week and I'll make it up next week, nobody else should be paying any attention to what I am or am not putting in the offering plate.

I don't know that I would attend a church that had an online option.  We believe in giving as we prosper, not a set amount.  While dh and I agree that we should tithe (ten percent) as a minimum and give more as we feel led, I don't like the idea of auto-pay.  I like handing my children a quarter or dollar a piece and having them place the money in the plate.  It is good for my working teen to physically tithe before depositing in her saving account or spending.  What's next at home communion? 

I have had my purse stolen before.  It is awful and feels so violating!

In my church, at least, passing the plate isn't just to get money. It's part of our liturgy. If we are giving before the service, in whatever fashion, then that part of the liturgy loses its impact.

For what it's worth, I never said other "people" should see me give. Actually, I said the opposite...that it's none of their business. I'm concerned only with my children seeing that we are faithful givers, because I want to model that for them in their faith development.

I don't expect my view to popular with everyone, but I do think it's pretty biblical. This was debated in many of the theology classes I took in college, and in many more of the classes dh took in grad school. This was always the conclusion our collective groups came to. Maybe it's a denominational thing.

I don't know that I would attend a church that had an online option. We believe in giving as we prosper, not a set amount. While dh and I agree that we should tithe (ten percent) as a minimum and give more as we feel led, I don't like the idea of auto-pay. I like handing my children a quarter or dollar a piece and having them place the money in the plate. It is good for my working teen to physically tithe before depositing in her saving account or spending. What's next at home communion?

I have had my purse stolen before. It is awful and feels so violating!

Ours isn't an auto pay. You go in and make whatever size payment you wish. One month we may give more than another. We can also give to the building fund, etc.

I wouldn't want something drafting from the checking account either. (That freaks me out in general though!)

I don't think it matters much to me. We make a yearly commitment to our church and we honor that. If we are there when the plate is passed we will drop some in. But, we don't count that against our yearly pledge. DH and I are often not in the sanctuary during services because we are teaching RE classes etc.

My church almost always 'splits the plate' with a local charity. I happen to know that when we started "split the plate", the weekly donations increased. People like giving and are looking for opportunities to share. Sometimes we give the entire plate to a charity. For example, October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, so we will gave the entire first collection of the month to our local DV agency.

1“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Matthew, Chapter 6

I see no need to pass the plate for money. Also, I can assure you that even when I do not bring my check to chuck in the collection plate, I am certainly aware of the place of giving in my monthly budget. I do not think it's a good idea to accept CREDIT cards online, but debit cards are merely the same as any EFT. I think setting up an immediate electronic funds transfer actually represents a certain level of commitment. When you set up a regular/recurrent EFT with one of your accounts, you are certainly acting in faith for income in the months ahead. Yes, it can be changed, but not without thought or deliberate action.

Sorry about the red text, not trying to make a point with it, it just came over when I cut & pasted the scripture. ETA got it fixed.

In my church, at least, passing the plate isn't just to get money. It's part of our liturgy. If we are giving before the service, in whatever fashion, then that part of the liturgy loses its impact.

For what it's worth, I never said other "people" should see me give. Actually, I said the opposite...that it's none of their business. I'm concerned only with my children seeing that we are faithful givers, because I want to model that for them in their faith development.

I don't expect my view to popular with everyone, but I do think it's pretty biblical. This was debated in many of the theology classes I took in college, and in many more of the classes dh took in grad school. This was always the conclusion our collective groups came to. Maybe it's a denominational thing.

It's not that you think giving in church is best for your family. It was the implication that doing it online could not be as honoring or as impactful for a family. If you didn't mean to insinuate that, I misread your post.

And yes. I believe it may be a denominational difference. My husband is a pastor & would not agree that theology defends offering plates as the only way to give.

This. all of it.

Our current church doesn't have an online option, but we could send our checks automatically via online banking.  I still don't want to do it that way either for this same reason.  I never pay attention to who is putting money in the plate and I assume others at church are the same way.  Our youngest has just started tithing and what you say about kids is so important. 

I'd be happy with a hybrid option- being able to give online OR in person.  I love having all my monthly obligations on autopay because it means I never have to worry about forgetting to pay a bill. So even if I was out of town, my donation would be received. However, I know that when I was a child, seeing the people put money in the baskets made a huge impression. I was occasionally allowed to hold the envelope and put it in the basket myself. When I got a little older, I felt pretty good about putting some of my own money in the basket. And when I became a young adult and had a regular job, putting money in the basket every week was something I did because it had been modeled for me- so of course I put money aside from every paycheck.  

I'm sure lots of families can model this kind of behavior even using debit cards- but I'm clinging to tradition here and I've already given up so many traditions that I just want ONE that I can keep more old fashioned.  

Our church often takes a second offering for a specific target- supporting missionaries, feeding poor families, whatever. How do churches with this electronic donating handle this kind of thing? Or donations from families who are just visiting? We visit several churches in our area when they have special programs- one has a fabulous early service on Christmas Eve, another has a special music program one Sunday in December.  Or if a friend invites me to hear a special speaker at her church.   I'm not opposed to online giving...but in addition to giving in person rather than in lieu of. 

What purpose is there for passing the plates except social pressure? 

I think you're reading too much into the intent. Quite simply, it's a convenient way for people to make offerings—including the elderly and others who may not even have a debit card, much less a computer.

I think you're reading too much into the intent. Quite simply, it's a convenient way for people to make offerings—including the elderly and others who may not even have a debit card, much less a computer.

Plus in most churches I'm guessing a big part of it is tradition.

We haven't been regular church-goers in a long time, but a couple of comments -- When we were attending church, I never paid any attention to who put what (or not) in the collection plate.  I simply wasn't interested.   And it never occurred to me that anyone would pay attention to what we put in (or not).

DS was a junior marshal at last year's graduation.  It was held in a large church, and he told me he and the other marshals were rather shocked and somewhat amused when they saw the debit/credit machine in the lobby for giving offerings.  We're not that far out from the city, only 10 or 15 miles.  But the churches out here sure don't do that.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have a variety of options.

Our church is too small to have an online option, kiosks or anything like that.   I imagine that after the initial investment and setup, it would be easier for the church to deal with the funds than collecting cash and checks every week.  

I agree with the pp who like the physical act of putting the check in the plate.   I know that for me it is more meaningful than an automatic withdrawal or paying by card at a kiosk.  Obviously that isn't going to be the case for everyone.  I also like hearing the sounds of coins the kids drop in - it's a physical reminder of the giving.  As far as I can tell, no one notices who is putting in what.  I've never seen anyone put a check in an offering plate with the $ amount showing.  I've never seen people gazing into the plate as it goes by, or watching what the person next to them puts in.  

The size of a church has no relationship to people making donations on-line, because many banks allow their customers to pay bills on-line through the bank. That's what I do; some payees are paid electronically--through my bank account--and some are sent paper checks. That's how it would happen if I decided to send an offering to my church on-line: I'd log onto my bank account and enter the amount I wanted to give to my church, and the bank would fill out and send in a paper check. Or I could set up an automatic payment each month, but in either case, it is not something my church has to set up.

As to the basket being attached to a pole--I've only seen that at a Catholic Church--has that been everyone else's experience?

I've never attended a church where that was done, but I did see it in "The Man Who Knew Too Much," when James Stewart and Doris Day went to Ambrose Chapel looking for their son. :-)

Aside from any spiritual or emotional aspects of the giving methods let's take a look at some practical concerns.

Online payments not only require the recipient be computer savvy enough to set it up, but that they do so with good security (dealing with people's financial identities here, after all) and a robust, user-friendly system.  They also require givers who are not only conversant in the method set up, but who are comfortable enough to do it regularly AND trust the website and all who handle the financial information to do so ethically.  This can be done, and can be very beneficial on both sides (givers and recipient church/organization).  But it takes mindfulness and on-going vigilance.

Passing the collection plate/basket/bag/envelopes/what-have-you has it's own drawbacks and advantages.  It can be more sporadic in what it brings in as the givers must be present or send a physical proxy to deliver their contribution.  It is also easier as the basket passes for pilfering to occur (less of a problem for drop boxes).  But it gives everyone present an alternative to the online method of contributing -- no credit cards, no account debits or transfers, no worrying about internet access or the website being down, or someone simply not being comfortable with computers or the online handling of their financial identifying information.  It allows for spontaneous contributions, for contributions by kids or others who want to feel like they are giving, and for visitors who wish to contribute.

All in all it would be foolish for any church or organization to limit themselves to one and only one method for collecting contributions, unless it was very important to that congregation's personal beliefs.  Setting up secure and reliable digital methods of contributing helps those who are more comfortable carrying minimal or no funds, and providing an opportunity to give a contribution in person/at the scene aids those who are not prepared to process things online.

Small aside about my choice of terminology:  I deliberately avoided "tithe", "payment", "donation", and other such terms because not everyone defines them the same and they could be read in a way someone might object to (within the context used).  I felt "giving" and "contributing" hit the mark well enough while remaining generic enough to not carry extra meaning.  Still, there might be some who read these words differently -- I ask that you simply read them in the context given, and assume no offense or slight.  I meant none.

I've never attended a church where that was done, but I did see it in "The Man Who Knew Too Much," when James Stewart and Doris Day went to Ambrose Chapel looking for their son. :-)

When I was a kid our older, more traditional Catholic church had the baskets on poles.  They served a few purposes:

• less likely that a helpful child would spill the contents
  • easier to keep the collection moving along when pews were sparsely populated
  • maintained better control over the contents of the basket (with a watching usher it was harder to pilfer)
  • could be used to gently and discreetly nudge a parishioner who dozed off (yup, that happened)
  • some ushers would gently shake the basket in front of someone if they felt it was ignored (generally frowned upon and such an usher would be set straight later by the others)
  • a couple of times I also saw some ushers using them to pass out tissue packets when lots of attendees had the sniffles
  • one usher who had to leave his kids unattended in the pew while ushing ( :D ) (his wife was home sick) used the stick end of his to prod his sons into behaving

They are quite versatile!

Only once was I bothered by a collection basket. The church was one of those with pews, and ushers walked down the aisles, shoving a basket attached to a pole down the pew in order to reach people. I thought it genuinely offensive.

Why offensive? The church I grew up in did that and still does it. I never "passed a plate" until I was in college and moved away. The old guy (why are ushers always 95 year old men?) takes the stick down half the pews on the center aisle and then the other half of the pews from the side aisles. There were plenty of Sundays we didn't give or only have a few dollars and no one ever noticed, AFAIK.

I do not think it's a good idea to accept CREDIT cards online, but debit cards are merely the same as any EFT.

I disagree on the point about debit cards online being better than credit cards.  When we pay for anything online with a card (including contributions to charities) we be sure to use credit cards and not debit cards for our own financial security.  Debit cards tie directly to your bank account.  If someone draws out money fraudulently the money is gone and virtually impossible to recover.  Fraud and identity theft occur.  Religious organizations are not immune to this.

Credit cards, on the other hand, don't tie directly to your personal bank accounts.  If a fraudulent charge appears it is easier to dispute it, and avoid paying the charge, or to recover the money if already paid.  In our experience our credit card companies have always been quite vigilant, and have on more than one occasion called to inquire about an unusual expense.  We have also reported charge items that weren't supposed to be there, or were for an incorrect amount.  We have never had to pay any charge we didn't agree we incurred ourselves.

Careful use of credit cards online has, for us, been safer than any debit card.  But I also agree with other posters: it's better yet to set up payment through your bank to your church.  No middle men taking a cut, and fully controlled on the giver's end.  And it has the added advantage of not requiring the church or organization to have an online system set up.

Good point, diminishes the risk of identity theft. My point was that I would hate to see people enabled to incur debt due to church giving. I would not think it impossible, especially in the sad situation that someone is actually judging congregants by the amount they are contributing (perhaps causing some to make poor, stressful decisions about "giving").

My personal preference for *church* giving is an old-fashioned box in the back of the church auditorium. My most distinct memories of childhood giving are not what went in from the pew (though we did have those bags-on-poles!), but what I personally inserted into the "Poor Box."  

I disagree on the point about debit cards online being better than credit cards.  When we pay for anything online with a card (including contributions to charities) we be sure to use credit cards and not debit cards for our own financial security.  Debit cards tie directly to your bank account.  If someone draws out money fraudulently the money is gone and virtually impossible to recover.  Fraud and identity theft occur.  Religious organizations are not immune to this.

Credit cards, on the other hand, don't tie directly to your personal bank accounts.  If a fraudulent charge appears it is easier to dispute it, and avoid paying the charge, or to recover the money if already paid.  In our experience our credit card companies have always been quite vigilant, and have on more than one occasion called to inquire about an unusual expense.  We have also reported charge items that weren't supposed to be there, or were for an incorrect amount.  We have never had to pay any charge we didn't agree we incurred ourselves.

Careful use of credit cards online has, for us, been safer than any debit card.  But I also agree with other posters: it's better yet to set up payment through your bank to your church.  No middle men taking a cut, and fully controlled on the giver's end.  And it has the added advantage of not requiring the church or organization to have an online system set up.

Have you ever been in church when the plate was passed and even though you might be several rows from the starting point, when the plate gets to you it's empty?  This might be the case if you have given your donation in the morning service and then attend in the evening service.  I find it very sad.  My husband will always put money in the plate, even if we have given earlier in the day.  Even a quarter can be used to further the Lord's work and thank Him for providing the church building and those who serve the church by pastoring, providing music, ushering, and administrative needs. 

I think if my children had not seen others put tithing envelopes or money in the offering plate, they wouldn't think they needed to give an offering until they had a personal checking account. 

I have had my purse stolen before.  It is awful and feels so violating!

True. Although I am thankful nobody was harmed, this was one of the most upsetting things that has happened to me in ten years. 

I can respect the view WRT the children seeing it modeled, but this doesn't mean much to me personally for a few reasons. One, my kids have seen me put a check in the plate for years and years, but they have never seen the amount the check was made out for, so this is already somewhat meaningless as a model. The check could be for $10 or $1000; they have no idea. Two, my kids are already living with the model of digital transactions far, far more than cash/check transactions. As children of my kids' generation grow into adulthood, they will have very few interactions with actual cash dollars. Their paychecks may likely be directly deposited. They can purchase gas, coffee, groceries, lunch, etc. throughout the week and never touch a dime of actual money. Therefore, I think the more useful lesson(s) come in their teen years when you (ideally) familiarize them with family expenses and the values that go along with the expenses, which would include gifts to church and charities. Third, IMO the giving they wish to do as adults (or earning teens) is between themselves and God. I decided as an adult what my giving would be like; I didn't pattern my behavior after my parents. 

Could be. The reason I'm pondering it, though, is because one of the values my pastor holds (and speaks about) is that he doesn't want to just do what's "always been done" as church goes. He is constantly seeking the most relevant and ideal way of working the church. IOW, I don't think they're just doing it this way because that's what churches usually do - the end. I would be willing to bet that the church leadership has considered it and debated about it some - probably at the time they instituted the on-line option. I'm also curious if this is on the table for future consideration. 

I admit that this line makes me want to laugh.  Makes it sound like an altar call for wallets and checkbooks.

It may be one. 

Have you ever been in church when the plate was passed and even though you might be several rows from the starting point, when the plate gets to you it's empty?  This might be the case if you have given your donation in the morning service and then attendnthe evening service.  I find it very sad.  My husband will always put money in the plate, even if we have given earlier in the day.  Even a quarter can be used to further the Lord's work and thank Him for providing the church building and those who serve the church by pastoring, providing music, ushering, and administrative needs. 

I think if my children had not seen others put tithing envelopes or money in the offering plate, they wouldn't think they needed to give an offering until they had a personal checking account. 

Yes, I have. It bothers me. That is one reason why I'm not liking the plate-passing. 

I think the plate is passed as a courtesy to those who may attend a modern church but not be up on all the tech, such as older people. Some people also prefer to contribute during the service as way to more closely connect for themselves the act of giving with worship. Nobody should be minding what anyone else's right or left hand is putting or not putting in the offering plate. I haven't put anything into the actual plate for years. but other people do.

Sometimes people who are more self-conscious than others feel like others are watching them more than they are. But if your hubby is more comfortable putting it in the plate, it's not that much of a big deal, right?

A couple if thoughts.

First, according to the Word, it is more blessed to give than to recieve. The passing if the plate is the passing of *blessing* from person to person. We all touch the plate in passing it. The offering is unto God, but the blessing of giving blesses the people too - both in the giving and receiving, but especially in the giving.

Secondly, the plate goes up to the altar where it represents both how we have been blessed and also our sacrifice. Even though many give electronically, this is an old part of the liturgy and has significance still.

When I was a kid our older, more traditional Catholic church had the baskets on poles.  They served a few purposes:

• less likely that a helpful child would spill the contents
  • easier to keep the collection moving along when pews were sparsely populated
  • maintained better control over the contents of the basket (with a watching usher it was harder to pilfer)
  • could be used to gently and discreetly nudge a parishioner who dozed off (yup, that happened)
  • some ushers would gently shake the basket in front of someone if they felt it was ignored (generally frowned upon and such an usher would be set straight later by the others)
  • a couple of times I also saw some ushers using them to pass out tissue packets when lots of attendees had the sniffles
  • one usher who had to leave his kids unattended in the pew while ushing ( :D ) (his wife was home sick) used the stick end of his to prod his sons into behaving

They are quite versatile!

:iagree: :laugh: My dad was an usher when we were growing up.  Our church had the baskets on poles.  I never did see anyone shake them to pressure donation - that would have been considered very rude.  I laugh because our family did experience the occasional basket nudge from Dad to behave in church.  And I did see tissues passed as well. 

See, we love it. DH is on staff and I am working as a volunteer 3 out of 4 Sundays; we can't even remember to sign the registry most weeks, remembering to take care of the check before we were halfway home was causing unnecessary stress. (I am a person who often struggles with out of sight out of mind syndrome and when we are at church I have got a lot to keep focused on beyond the piece of paper in my purse.)

Yep, Dh does treasurer work and is already in the church office to receive the offering, count it with his team, and lock it in the safe after they've made out the deposit slip. I'm at the piano playing an offertory or for congregational singing. I could leave it with the boys, but oft times at their ages, they are asked to help out in many ways and they may forget...many times they do a Bible theme puppet show for the three and four year olds. It's hard on us. So, online is the way.

I think people over think it. Our kids know we give because we talk about it with them.

It's important for there to be a variety of ways for people to get their donations in and passing the bucket, online, automatic deduction, etc. are all parts of that. What I do not agree with is the acceptance of debit and credit cards. I don't think it's wise for churches to be paying these fees out of donated monies.

Faith

Have you ever been in church when the plate was passed and even though you might be several rows from the starting point, when the plate gets to you it's empty? This might be the case if you have given your donation in the morning service and then attendnthe evening service. I find it very sad. My husband will always put money in the plate, even if we have given earlier in the day. Even a quarter can be used to further the Lord's work and thank Him for providing the church building and those who serve the church by pastoring, providing music, ushering, and administrative needs.

I don't know. My kids give money . Every classroom through 5th grade accepts offerings from all of the children. They are encouraged to bring their bible and an offering every week. My son always goes in with something to give, ideally from money he has earned. My daughter babysits frequently & gives her own money (and saves money too). She & I both serve one service and then attend church another hour. I think serving is as important as giving monetarily & should also be modeled and taught. My kids are very aware that my husband and I budget and give - always. They are being taught financial wisdom, and part of that is tithing and saving. I imagine when they get a checking account one day, they may opt to pay online. I feel like that is a reasonable option. I agree with a previous poster though- it shouldn't be the only option available to a congregation. And although we pay through our bank, I admit an actual giving kiosk would take getting used too.

ETA- I tried to type this before but it didn't show up?? Sorry.

My church post the weekly giving in the bulletin. It is always a few thousand over the budget. So even if it were empty, it is obvious the church is receiving money. Plus we give connection cards for head count, prayer requests, sign ups, etc... So those are put in with offerings as well

I went to a church once where the priest would make the sign of the Cross over the congregation *with* the filled collection baskets, which I thought was tacky. The Reform Jewish synagogue with which we interact regularly doesn't have a plate. They have an online option for giving, but that is for over and above the temple dues for membership. There is evidently a lot of conversation going on in Jewish circles about the topic http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-01-18/national/36474178_1_dues-young-jews-synagogue.

We pass the plate (the minister holds up the baskets and thanks the congregation for all the gifts given both within the baskets and in time and talent), and split the undesignated collection each week with a charity (so anything other than checks marked "pledge" or for some other thing like a particular project, the particular charity is chosen monthly). For our family's yearly pledge, we send a check through our online banking. It makes it much easier for taxes and because I'm bad not to carry a checkbook or cash. I prefer to "push" a check from my account rather than have anything drafted from it.

I think the thing that would make me uncomfortable about the plates-on-poles thing -- if I'm picturing it right -- is that it seems like you'd have to kinda wave the usher on if you aren't putting anything in. (Is that right?)  At least with a plate, you can just pass it along without having to acknowledge someone else. 

Our parish has a box down the back hall with envelopes.  Nothing is ever really said about it, people just give when/as they are able. 

The ideal "format", IMO, is to have boxes that are locked and and fixed permanently in an area inside the church (inside the entrances to the sanctuary, etc.) where people can drop their offerings in.  They can do so with their children to be a good example and don't have to be put on the spot by a passing basket OR make a show of their offering.  Plus the service does not have to be interrupted by a lengthy process but can still pray over any offerings given and thank God for that provision.  Problems solved to me.

This thread is really interesting to me.  I've been going to church, off and on, all my life and quite faithfully for the last 20 years.  I have never one time felt put on the spot by an offering plate! Whether at my home church or visiting somewhere, sometimes I put cash or a check in, sometimes I don't.  My gut reaction is that people who feel put on the spot are either way too self-conscious (feeling like people are judging them by their offering plate action) or are going to the wrong church (because people really are judging others by their offering plate action).    I don't feel sad if the plate is empty when it goes by me; I don't presume to think anything about the giving habits of the people around me.  I think people who feel tempted to consider other peoples' giving need to close their eyes and pray.  (Please note that I am not accusing anyone here of judging peoples' giving.) 

My church has annual giving only, and the weekly collection goes to a local cause.   I do both and so do most people.   Just a couple of bucks, usually, $10-$20 per month.

I think the thing that would make me uncomfortable about the plates-on-poles thing -- if I'm picturing it right -- is that it seems like you'd have to kinda wave the usher on if you aren't putting anything in. (Is that right?)  At least with a plate, you can just pass it along without having to acknowledge someone else. 

Our parish has a box down the back hall with envelopes.  Nothing is ever really said about it, people just give when/as they are able. 

I like the baskets on poles.  Ushers are used to putting the basket out and moving very quickly on if the person isn't making a move to put something in.

Offerings happen during a song during the Catholic service, you typically have your head in your hymnal and don't look around to see what others are doing.  In passing the basket, you have to be socially aware about when the basket is coming, which makes you more likely to "peek" at what the people before you are doing.