Menu

Diva cup

Moxie

I use a cloth pad on the first, heavier, day. Otherwise, I need no back up. Dd tried one, and found that somehow she was not the right shape or something. At that point in her life, she wasn't up for continuing to fool with it. I'm not convinced though that she couldn't have worked it out with time, but I'm interested to hear what others say. :)

I had to switch to a different cup because the Diva didn't fit me well.  You might have to shop around for the right fit.  Otherwise, I love using a cup and I don't plan on switching back.  

I sometimes need a panty liner on the first day but the cups are definitely better at containing leaks than anything else I've tried. 

I have one! I alternate between it and cloth pads depending on my needs/mood. You can't be squeamish about blood though.

There was a bit of a learning curve for me, so I did wear pads with it for a bit. But that was just for security. I always at least wear a panty liner, just like you might for a tampon.

It does works well for my super heavy days. And the light days too, for that matter.

The Diva did not fit me well.  It was uncomfortable.  And I really tried to make it work.

I ended up with The Keeper, which fit me better.  They look about the same so I really don't understand that.

I needed back up at times with the Diva because it would leak.

(I had an ablation over a year ago so I don't need anything now, but I would still be using the Keeper if I did.)

I have used it for years and am very happy with it. I sometimes need a pantyliner as backup, but it is only just a very, very small amount.

There's definitely a learning curve, so give it a few cycles before you rule it in or out. Different folds work better for some people, and you have to find a balance in terms of inserting (some people insert too far or too low and have leakage or comfort issues, for example). It got easier as time went on. Within a cycle or two I had it down pretty well though.

I much prefer it to tampons. I haven't tried any of the other cups.

Note there are two sizes. One is specifically for women who have given birth.

I prefer my Fleur cup. I had a Diva and a Keeper prior to it. I love it. I used tampons between the ruin of my old cups and my Fleur cup and they are awful.

I love my Fleur cup. I had a Mooncup UK for several years, but after having my son it just didn't fit right anymore. Plus, the Fleur cup holds more, and I've got a pretty heavy flow.

I love my Diva cup.  I have used it for about six years now.  The key (for me) is to make sure my cervix is not below the outside rim of the cup when I insert it.  I have to kind of "nudge" my cervix into it, otherwise the cup is wedged off to the side and useless.  As far as cleaning it, I empty the cup into the toilet, stand up, go to the sink to wash the cup, and reinsert it.

I love mine and have used it for about six years.  When I first bought one, I bought the size 2, since I (ahem) fit into that category, having had children.  It just didn't work.  I then purchased the size 1 and it's been great.  There have been times when I've had a very heavy flow and have used some back up, but mostly I just wear my "period panties" and don't worry about minor staining.  I highly recommend them, although I can imagine that different people might be shaped differently and need another type instead.

I can use mine for a couple of hours at a time, but it just won't stay in place for longer than that. It's not the cup. I usually get the placement right (I have to break the suction to get it all the way out). I never had a leak. After my first birth, they spent 45 minutes stitching me up inside the birth canal (pushing phase was fast and furious), so I think I just don't have enough elasticity anymore to keep the cup in place after I use the restroom, etc. I am constantly having to fix something. Otherwise, I like the cup MUCH better than I ever liked tampons, and I can use it to swim for a couple of hours if I really need or want to. It's also nice if I need to swim and know my flow is going to start sometime that day but hasn't yet.

If anyone else has had my experience, I am curious if you found a way to make it work.

For those that use a cup, do you have more than one?  I cannot figure out how one can dump and clean one while sitting on the toilet.

In public restrooms I just dump it, wipe it out, and reinsert. Sometimes I do that at home, too.

Really, not a big deal. Just be sure to dump it out carefully when you are out in public...no drips, etc. on your clothes, etc. I have had a few close calls while rushing, but crisis was generally averted, thankfully.

I don't clean it in a public place either, just a quick spill-out.

I LOVE my Diva Cup. I wish I had known about it when I first started.

I don't use any back-up. 

I always wore tampons, but I hated how they'd change shape and become uncomfortable. Nothing like that with the cup.

<3 cup forever :)

Does it need to be right under the cervix? If one has a very high cervix (internal exams feel like tonsil checks) would one still be able to use it?

No, it doesn't need to be right under the cervix. You just need to make sure that the cervix isn't poking out of it somewhere, or there will be leaks. If you have a really high cervix you shouldn't have any issues with this though.

Ugh. I *wanted* to make the Diva cup work. I tried and tried and failed with it. IDK what the problem is. I do have a very high cervix and my uterus is tilted the wrong way. I know the gyno always mentions it when I go in for my pap and says it makes the exam a little more uncomfortable than it would be otherwise.

Anyway, it leaked on me sporadically and was a complete nightmare to remove. Cramming my hand all the way up into my lady parts is not exactly my idea of a good time. Maybe I was placing it too high up because I really had to stretch and reach for it and even then there was a time or two when I wasn't sure I'd be able to retrieve it on my own, the suction was *really* tight, and in any case I could feel it every. single. time. I had it in. So...IDK.

I have used those soft cups in the past with no problems.

I don't have a problem with tampons, per se. I was drawn to the Diva because it's eco-friendly, and because I can't swim with a tampon in. I *know* you're supposed to be able to, but mine always end up sopping wet with pool water.

I love mine and I am a serious bleeder.  I dump it every bathroom trip and it has been to the brim frequently.  One huge benefit is that my periods are a lot shorter now.  Heavier while bleeding, but they don't drag on quite so long.  I think the tampons were causing a backlog. 

I had worried about the mess, but overall I find it MUCH less messy.  Tampons always leaked and this doesn't.  Staying blood-free in the outer area is Huge. 

I might be inserting it wrong though.  I can not pee while it is in.  Any ideas? 

I never had problems with leakage. But after months of using one intermittently, I had to give up trying. It hurt. I tried cutting the stem of it short and it still was poking me much of the time. I could barely sit with it in, it would always be poking me. I went back to mainly using pads with the occasional tampon when needed.

I have very mixed feelings about it.  I had to cut off the handle because it poked me (or rather, it poked the muscle that holds a tampon in.

When it works, it works okay.  It does tend to increase my cramping a little, and it increases flow.  On my second day I can have flooding (overflow the cup and an Always overnight pad with wings in less than 90 minutes, typically 3-5 times that day).  I rarely leave the house that day, and sometimes get so frustrated with the mess of the cup that I use tampons instead.  On the third day for some reason it rarely works for me - I can't get it in the right position, it leaks, it's messy, I get disgusted, take it out, and switch to tampons and overnight pads.  I haven't had surgery to confirm but I suspect this is because I may have endometriosis that irritates my intestines and things swell out of shape.

On light flow days (night before, 1, 4, and sometimes 5 for me), it is awesome. I only deal with it every 12 hours, I dump it in the toilet, wash it in my sink, it's almost like not having a period at all.

I tried cloth backups instead of always pads because I'd heard people say the chemicals in them increase flow, but I found for me it made no difference on heavy days, and I would bleed through cloth in no time at all.

I used the keeper for many years and loved it - I cut the stem off completely and would usually wear it inside out for comfort.

I recently got the moon cup, silicone, because I thought that I would be happier with it because it's a little softer than the keeper but I don't like it as much. The suction ends up too great on it when I need to remove it. So I will just buy another keeper again soon.

Thought I wanted a softer one because there are times when I'm having IBS like issue and the cup can really be irritable to cramping. It's not a usual problem, but it does come up now and then. I have cloth pads for when I don't wear it. Much prefer the cup over the pads.

I have very mixed feelings about it.  I had to cut off the handle because it poked me (or rather, it poked the muscle that holds a tampon in.

When it works, it works okay.  It does tend to increase my cramping a little, and it increases flow.  On my second day I can have flooding (overflow the cup and an Always overnight pad with wings in less than 90 minutes, typically 3-5 times that day).  I rarely leave the house that day, and sometimes get so frustrated with the mess of the cup that I use tampons instead.  On the third day for some reason it rarely works for me - I can't get it in the right position, it leaks, it's messy, I get disgusted, take it out, and switch to tampons and overnight pads.  I haven't had surgery to confirm but I suspect this is because I may have endometriosis that irritates my intestines and things swell out of shape.

On light flow days (night before, 1, 4, and sometimes 5 for me), it is awesome. I only deal with it every 12 hours, I dump it in the toilet, wash it in my sink, it's almost like not having a period at all.

I tried cloth backups instead of always pads because I'd heard people say the chemicals in them increase flow, but I found for me it made no difference on heavy days, and I would bleed through cloth in no time at all.

This has been my experience with it except that I can't use tampons either as they are uncomfortable. I just have too many days of major leaking and use overnight pads as back up which defeats the purpose of using the diva.  I have used the diva on days 1 and days 7 but by then just a liner is usually sufficient and the cup isn't worth dealing with. 

So I'm a wanna be diva user.

I've had my Diva cup for 8 years and I'll never go back! I have a tilted uterus that's a little low after 3 kids and I had issues with poking and discomfort, or the cup simply protruding. But I read a tip on here a few years ago about flipping the cup inside out. Problem solved! It's much more comfortable now and it functions even better.

Do you have to dump it every time you go to the bathroom?  I have used the soft cups before and they leak every time I go to the bathroom.  Is this common with the Diva Cup?

I've never experienced this. I've had mine for eight years (though I only bought it in time for my last cycle before DD, so between pregnancy and lactational amenorrhea for a year after her birth, I've only been using it consecutively for six years), and it's still in perfect condition. I do soak it in a 1:4 water:hydrogen peroxide mixture after I've finished with it for the month. Until I got a copper IUD, I only needed to empty it morning and evening, but with the IUD I have to empty every two hours on heavy days and I use a panty liner, and I empty  morning-afternoon-bedtime on lighter days. I can't imagine going back to pads and tampons.

I have heard, though, testimony similar to some posts on this thread about different cups fitting better for some people.

I used the Keeper for a few years and loved it, but did have leaks even when it wasn't full.  Eight years ago, I switched to the Diva.  The Keeper is more stiff/firm, so it took me a couple of months to get used to inserting the softer Diva.  Once I did, I preferred my Diva and only have leaks when it is too full.  I cut the stem completely off, and when properly placed, you can not feel it.  You can typically feel your cup when it starts to get full.  Mine gets heavy and drops a bit so that I can feel it.  

I do not wash mine every time I empty it, but do scrub it well at the end of my cycle.  I have to empty it every few hours the first day or two, but after that only once in the morning and once at night.  I do not wear any back up since I am home, can feel it getting full, and hate pads.  If I were going to, it would be that first heavy night only, but I prefer to empty it when I wake to go to the restroom at night.  

I never remove it to go to the restroom, but may have to push it up after I go sometimes, just depends on how right the muscles are at the moment.

I love my cup and will never go back to tampons.  I am dreading the weeks after baby is born when I have to wear pads.

This has been my experience with it except that I can't use tampons either as they are uncomfortable. I just have too many days of major leaking and use overnight pads as back up which defeats the purpose of using the diva.  I have used the diva on days 1 and days 7 but by then just a liner is usually sufficient and the cup isn't worth dealing with. 

So I'm a wanna be diva user.

Regular tampons don't work for me either, only the (non applicator) OB kind - they're shorter than other brands and fit a lot better.

I never had problems with leakage. But after months of using one intermittently, I had to give up trying. It hurt. I tried cutting the stem of it short and it still was poking me much of the time. I could barely sit with it in, it would always be poking me. I went back to mainly using pads with the occasional tampon when needed.

When I was reading the reviews on Amazon and someone mentioned the same problem they said to turn it inside out(I think) and that fixed the problem.

I wondered about the "turn it inside out" thing last night, because I couldn't see how the cup would turn inside out (seemed too thick), but it really does!  I was surprised.  Anyway, to answer the above question, it wasn't an issue at all to pull it out.  Same as before.