Menu

Can I tell you about my next adventure?

I am so excited...and totally terrified.

In 10 days I will be traveling to a tiny village in the highlands of Papua, Indonesia, called Bokondini. I have friends who live there and they have started a network of small village schools to educate the children of the Highlands. There are no educational options for these kids since there are no government schools for them.

My friends started one small school and now their vision is spreading and they are starting more and more small schools. 

I am going there to conduct teacher training and curriculum development. It is such a remote place that you can only get there by plane. I have to fly in a tiny, six-seater plane from Jayapura to Bokondini. It scares me to death. I have never been in a plane that small, especially not flying over the Indonesian jungle. But you should always do what scares you, right?

I have decided that if the plane crashes, I hope to die in the crash because if I have to survive in the Indonesian jungle I will last about 7 minutes, tops. But I will bring extra snacks just in case (I am not eating bugs!). :)

If you are the praying sort, please pray that I arrive safely and that I am able to get a lot accomplished while I am there. If all goes well, I will probably go twice a year to work with their teachers. 

Here is a quick video about their school (The Wiselys are amazing people!): 

Wow, Heather -- that is so cool!!!

Don't worry about airsickness -- I'm sure you'll be just fine. Small planes can be really fun, and I think it will just add to your sense of adventure.

I'll pray that everything goes perfectly for you. Have a wonderful trip!!!

The Pilatus planes are excellent aircraft, you can feel secure flying in some of the best ever built. 

Those big jungle spiders are pretty tasty, I hear. 

Can you get a rabies vaccination before you go? Indonesia is having a rabies epidemic, not in papua to my knowledge, but in the cities where there are large numbers of wild dogs. It may not be necessary if Jakarta is not having a problem, but worth checking into. 

Indonesia is gorgeous, you are going to have an amazing, wonderful trip!

Heather, my dad was an MAF pilot for 16 years, and I've been on more tiny flights than I can remember, even flying once from Honduras to far, far southern Venezuela in an extended trip when my parents were asked to fill in there.  No kidding, my dad flew missionaries that worked in both the Miquiritare and Yanoamo tribal areas--way, way, way out into pristine, untouched jungle areas.

I know these pilots are all extremely well-trained, and they don't go out solo until they've been thoroughly and extensively "checked out" on each strip they land on.  Safety is a bit of an obsession for these guys; "hotshots" don't fit in well with this culture.

If you're worried about air-sickness, do they still sell dramamine?  The only thing I can remember besides the small bits of turbulence on occasion is the unique smell of av gas and hot vinyl upholstery from way back in the day, so if smells bother you, peppermint and ginger help.  (I've had much worse turbulence at high altitudes with stomach-gripping drops in commercial airline flights.

I hope you enjoy every minute of the experience and that you are absolutely amazed by the beauty and the awe-inspiring panorama spread out beneath you.  It will be breath-taking. 

I know that what you will be a part of will be equally breath-taking.  God bless as you bring your gifts to the table and help is this unique vision!

How awesome! I think I told you before that I know the Wiselys through the EduVenture program they had.

I'm so excited for you, and for them. I know they will really appreciated the teaching and experience you have to offer.

I also got to fly on some of the small MAF planes. It was a little scary, but the view is so amazing that it's really easy

to overcome your fear.

Have a fabulous trip!

My husband (private pilot) is sooo jealous you get to ride in that plane!

Regarding air sickness; I am really really really prone to motion sickness but never get air sick, even in a small airplane (just keep looking outside or straight ahead). Dramamine is great, you will sleep the whole trip; or Zofran is better if you can get it because it doesn't make you sleepy.

Heather, my dad was an MAF pilot for 16 years, and I've been on more tiny flights than I can remember, even flying once from Honduras to far, far southern Venezuela in an extended trip when my parents were asked to fill in there. No kidding, my dad flew missionaries that worked in both the Miquiritare and Yanoamo tribal areas--way, way, way out into pristine, untouched jungle areas.

I know these pilots are all extremely well-trained, and they don't go out solo until they've been thoroughly and extensively "checked out" on each strip they land on. Safety is a bit of an obsession for these guys; "hotshots" don't fit in well with this culture.

If you're worried about air-sickness, do they still sell dramamine? The only thing I can remember besides the small bits of turbulence on occasion is the unique smell of av gas and hot vinyl upholstery from way back in the day, so if smells bother you, peppermint and ginger help. (I've had much worse turbulence at high altitudes with stomach-gripping drops in commercial airline flights.

I hope you enjoy every minute of the experience and that you are absolutely amazed by the beauty and the awe-inspiring panorama spread out beneath you. It will be breath-taking.

I know that what you will be a part of will be equally breath-taking. God bless as you bring your gifts to the table and help is this unique vision!

That so cool that you got to do this kind of thing all the time! I'm sure it will all be fine but it does make me a bit nervous. I think I've watched too many "Man vs. Wild" episodes. :)

Thank you for all the great advice. I am so excited!

How awesome! I think I told you before that I know the Wiselys through the EduVenture program they had.

I'm so excited for you, and for them. I know they will really appreciated the teaching and experience you have to offer.

I also got to fly on some of the small MAF planes. It was a little scary, but the view is so amazing that it's really easy

to overcome your fear.

Have a fabulous trip!

That's right! I forgot. I am so excited to see them again. I am currently picking up little gifts for their kids whom I adore. They have such an amazing ministry in Papua and I am blessed to be a part of it (even if the MAF plane scares me a little).

Posted next to their wonderful youtube video is one titled, Dangerous airport in Bokondini.  :lol:  I've flown in small planes to far away places in Alaska. You will love it! Update just before you leave and we'll keep you in prayer.

Posted next to their wonderful youtube video is one titled, Dangerous airport in Bokondini.  :lol:  I've flown in small planes to far away places in Alaska. You will love it! Update just before you leave and we'll keep you in prayer.

Starr, this isn't aimed at your post, I'm just griping....but the guy that posted the vid...I don't think he had a frame of reference. 

I'm sure it's a tricky spot, but honestly, that's a lot of room.  It's a wide strip (room for error side to side if you get a cross wind), it's not on the side of a mountain (no hidden up- or downdrafts) and frankly, it's a big and well marked strip.  

The  first pass (buzzing the strip) thing the guy mentioned in the comments, that SOP for village airstrips.  Cattle graze there, kids play soccer on them, etc., etc.  You have to buzz them first, if nothing else than to get the folks to come out and make sure everything is cleared off the strip.  The pilot cannot commit to the landing without knowing it has been cleared.  (Dad used to fly into places where he'd buzz and the people would come out and herd off the cows and take down the goalposts....  Too bad they didn't pick up the cowpies, too.  ; )  )

Hope that gives Heather a bit of piece of mind if she's reading this. 

ETA:  So I had a nice trip down memory lane with Dad on this.  He said the altitude does make it more difficult, because the air is "thinner" so it is harder to develop power UNLESS you have a turboprop plane.  The Pilatus plane in the picture is probably (without my going and doing more research) a turboprop (a jet engine, not a piston engine) because the engine cowling ("front nose" to us non-engineering types) is looooong, indicating it's probably more than a regular piston engine underneath the skin.  The jet engine compresses the air and yada, yada--it went over my head at that point--so it completely changes the equation, making it possible to work in higher altitudes.  

There was more detail, but yeah, the pilots have this covered. For Heather's sake:  not the world's worst strip.  Then Dad said, laughing,  "I'll put 'Montana de La Flor' up against any strip in the world."    Ummmm....no thanks, Dad. 

That so cool that you got to do this kind of thing all the time! I'm sure it will all be fine but it does make me a bit nervous. I think I've watched too many "Man vs. Wild" episodes. :)

Thank you for all the great advice. I am so excited!

Yep, he was a favorite around here with my guys, too.  : ) .

I've never had air sickness before but I've never been on a plane this small before!

Flying in small planes is so different from flying airliners or even the smaller commuter planes. I don't get airsick in those but I do get sick in the really small ones, like a 4-seater Cessna. Just wanted you to be prepared in case you do get to feeling ill. I don't get carsick or trainsick but I do get seasick unless I'm where the wind can blow on my face. Being able to see outside is helpful. Maybe you'll get the front seat!

Your adventure sounds exciting--helping to establish schools in remote places. I'm not too thrilled with the flying into the middle of nowhere but at least you don't have to walk a couple days to make it to a boat which takes a week to get to the nearest village where you walk a couple more days to your destination.

Bringing snacks so you don't have to eat bugs. That's funny! :laugh:

Well, Heather, there is one helpful You Tube video of Honduran kids in the area I mentioned upthread, digging sompopos (carpenter ants) out of the ground for a snack.  Just in case you need a bit of instruction on the technique. 

:scared:

:ack2:

They had it down to a....ummm, procedure.  Yes, that's a good word.

(If it's any consolation, the guy filming is clearly hispanic, and he's shocked.)