Menu

Women who predominately (or always) wear dresses (cc)

Luanne

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I better not let my husband see me reading this thread. He would LOVE It if I wore more skirts. This is my issue:

I am fat. When it's hot, my thighs stick together and that's supremely uncomfortable to get a thigh rash. (I know, great visual). I detest long legged undies which would defeat the purpose of wearing one to be cooler. 

How do you skirt only ladies deal with that? 

I better not let my husband see me reading this thread. He would LOVE It if I wore more skirts. This is my issue:

I am fat. When it's hot, my thighs stick together and that's supremely uncomfortable to get a thigh rash. (I know, great visual). I detest long legged undies which would defeat the purpose of wearing one to be cooler.

I moved to north Maine. (Insert grinning smiley)

When I lived in southern places I stayed in the AC as much as possible.

I use a small amount of coconut oil on my thighs when that might be a problem. It is slippery enough to remedy the situation but doesn't feel greasy. I couldn't believe how much it helped.

I use a small amount of coconut oil on my thighs when that might be a problem. It is slippery enough to remedy the situation but doesn't feel greasy. I couldn't believe how much it helped.

LOL - would it make your hubby want a mai-tai! <wicked grin>! LOL

Seriously though, it doesn't make you feel sticky? 

I love wearing pants. I heart wearing jeans with a big squishy heart.

That said I'm trying to work up the nerve to wear skirts for something other than church. Partly because I want to broaden my fashion horizons and partly because I know my DH would love it if I wore skirts more frequently. I also (gulp) think I want to add some nice casual dresses to my wardrobe for every day wear. I don't think I'd ever be able to do a 100% of the time sort of thing (again, I heart pants) but I would love to do it once or twice a week outside of church.

I want to do this but it is kind of freaking me out a bit. I'm not really sure why... perhaps because I've been anti-skirt for so long? Or maybe because I'm a huge creature of habit and this would be changing a deeply ingrained habit.

I suppose I just need to put on my big girl panties, grit my teeth, and do it... (lol).

I wear dresses/skirts nearly always (I have some PJs that are shorts/pants) but for no religious reason. I'm confirmed to no religion at all and was always in jeans, so it raised a lot of eyebrows when I decided to start wearing dresses.  I had to tell people repeatedly that I hadn't changed religions and I was just more confident/comfortable in skirts.  Finally, after a particular friend interrogated me one too many times I told her "because I'm a lot nicer without my pants riding up my a$$".

It got around and I've not been questioned about it since.

I wear mostly skirts or dresses. It wasn't so much a spiritual issue, unless you want to think that God made me like wearing them more than pants! I like them for comfort. While I love a cool, breezy, cotton skirt in the summer, I am even more fond of a cozy wool or flannel skirt over leggings with boots in the winter. In my mind's eye, I fancy myself styled a la Jan Brett's Nordic characters. :laugh:

I have always said that God did not call everyone to be a Nazarite. He called only a few to that particular lifestyle. It would be wrong for those people to ignore His urging, just as it would be wrong for others to adopt pseudo-Nazarite ways when they weren't called to do so. The same with a variety of lifestyle choices today.

There are many different callings. Some people feel called to avoid makeup, others to avoid all alcoholic beverages, others wear head coverings, others are skirts/dresses only. IMO, each of us needs to be sensitive to respond to the call that has been directed to us, not to feel superior over others who have not received this call and who may have received a different one.

I made a slow change to skirts only over a long period of time. I just began to wear them more often than not. I'm not sure if anyone really noticed, since they were already used to seeing me in them frequently anyway.

SO this. 

When I was in my teens, I had the privilege of being friends with this amazing Christian Southern woman who was a spiritual mother to many. She collected young, wayward women.

Anyway, she was very open that it was just something that she knew God wanted her to do. She didn't make a fuss, she didn't tell everyone that it was something they ALL had to do, it was just something between her and God. 

The Orthodox Jewish WTM mommas normally have some great ideas about how to function  (I remember asking one how you clean the tub in a skirt  :lol:  and she said she wore her not so good skirts for those jobs   :laugh: ) in the every day with them. 

I agree, they are just SO much more comfortable. 

That said I'm trying to work up the nerve to wear skirts for something other than church. Partly because I want to broaden my fashion horizons and partly because I know my DH would love it if I wore skirts more frequently. I also (gulp) think I want to add some nice casual dresses to my wardrobe for every day wear. I don't think I'd ever be able to do a 100% of the time sort of thing (again, I heart pants) but I would love to do it once or twice a week outside of church.

I want to do this but it is kind of freaking me out a bit. I'm not really sure why... perhaps because I've been anti-skirt for so long? Or maybe because I'm a huge creature of habit and this would be changing a deeply ingrained habit.

I suppose I just need to put on my big girl panties, grit my teeth, and do it... (lol).

Pick one with fabric and color that you absolutely adore! Even better if you can find a cut/shape you like. Then you will be so excited to wear it, you will forget about the nerves.

I personally love the big, swirly skirts. I have a few denim skirts that are less swirly, but still leave me plenty of room to move in. I also like them to come down to just below my knees to mid calf level. I don't have time to worry about what others might see. I am just as likely to wear them to the barn as to the grocery store, so I need no-fuss options.

Because of my lifestyle and personal preferences, I am not a fan of the straight skirts or pencil-type ones. I find them too restrictive.

LOL - would it make your hubby want a mai-tai! <wicked grin>! LOL

Seriously though, it doesn't make you feel sticky?

LOL - no, not sticky. It just eventually absorbs in and is a great moisturizer. If you have it around, it might be worth a try before buying a specific product. My mom and few friends have started using it now. Good luck!

LOL - no, not sticky. It just eventually absorbs in and is a great moisturizer. If you have it around, it might be worth a try before buying a specific product. My mom and few friends have started using it now. Good luck!

So you just spread it on your thighs? All over, or just where they touch? Doesn't it transfer to the inside of the skirt? 

You can use Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel. It doubles as an under make-up primer ;) .

I wear a pair of nude bike shorts type thing that is very - supportive. Not hot, holds things in place, no chaffing. In the winter I like Capri length leggings.

I wear a pair of nude bike shorts type thing that is very - supportive. Not hot, holds things in place, no chaffing. In the winter I like Capri length leggings.

Could you message me a picture or a link to what you're talking about? It's not a long legged panty girdle is it? Cuz those are medieval torture devices IMO.  :cursing:

I started with long denim skirts- ankle length.  I wore them with tops I would wear with jeans.  They are called Maxi skirts.  I have since bought several soft cotton ones and have some short ones for the summer.  A few are Old Navy and Gap.  They are not the "homeschool Mom uniform" style.

There is just one cousin I have that I will not talk to about this even if she asks.  Her sister started wearing only dresses/skirts, stopped wearing makeup, and didn't cut her hair, and I was surprised at how this cousin was so critical of her sister for her choices.  She really hadn't made a big deal out of it either.  I always thought that cousin was very nice... until this.

My plan is to wear shorts under the dress/skirt in the summer time and leggings in the winter.  That solves the problem that, I too, have when wearing dresses/skirts.

Blister Shield is another brand of roll-on anti-chafing stuff. Also, I have heard that regular underarm deodorant will work, too--perhaps not as well as Blister Shield or Body Glide, but still effective.

I was at the pool the other day with the kids and wished I had "treated" my thighs with something. :lol:

I LOVE wearing skirts anytime the weather is reasonably war, which where I live is around 8-9 months or so of the year. Skirts make me feel so pretty and special and feminine. I like the retro skirts personally. Dh prefers me in the super long and flowy hippy skirts. I've had a few curious comments but nothing bad. Anyone who is around me very long realizes though that I don't *always* wear skirts, just usually during certain parts of the year.

I think if you keep your answers about what you is right for you and not what everyone should do I think it should stop most from feeling defensive. Anyone who is being a jerk I would just let them know the topic is not open for discussion.

I've worn only skirts or dresses for going on 20 years because I've seen what my rear-end looks like in pants :eek: ! I got used to long skirts/dresses when I was in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism, a medieval re-creation group) and discovered I really liked them. I am very overweight and skirts are just much more flattering. I wear pettipants/a split half-slip under my skirts to help keep my thighs from chafing--this would be an issue regardless of my weight, though, as women in my family just have proportionately big thighs whatever their size.  Until I discovered pettipants, I wore pants because skirts were uncomfortable. In the winter, I have leggings (if it's really cold and we'll be outside) or wear trouser socks under my skirts (all my skirts are mid-calf or a bit longer because I prefer that). I have found some kneesocks that I think may work and stay up for next year, but big calves aren't as kneesock-friendly. I hate pantyhose or tights as they get too hot. My preference is for full, flowy skirts or very A-line denim. People tend to assume I'm a fundamentalist Christian because I wear mostly denim skirts, no makeup, and have longish gray hair. I guess I fit the visual stereotype, even though I'm pretty far from that religiously ;) .

My biggest problem is shoes. I'll be the first to admit that I'm far from a fashion plate,  but I have a small shoe budget and very wide, big feet. I tend to wear sneakers (and men's sneakers at that because they're cut wider) much of the time. Boots can get too hot quickly. I also have trouble finding sandals that work well for some of the same reasons.

Hijack alert. Sorry to hijack but hoping others on the thread might be interested, too.

I rarely wear dresses or skirts. Most of mine tend to look like I should be at work or church.  Even if my skirt is kinda casual, my top tends to be something I don't want to risk getting stained (and I cannot seem to drink anything without spilling it.) That said, I am trying to wear more casual skirts or dresses for teaching at co-op. I don't have to but I have found the kids seem to act better when I'm a bit more dressed up (or perhaps I act differently and the kids pick up on it.)  Anyone care to post some favorite, everyday skirts and/or places to buy them.  Thanks!

I shop Boden UK a lot.  Their US website has good skirts, too.  Most of their stuff is fine for everyday, except the pencil skirts.  A pencil skirt always looks more like business or dress attire. 

Here is a link to the skirts page: http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Skirts.html. You can even search by skirt length.

Could you message me a picture or a link to what you're talking about? It's not a long legged panty girdle is it? Cuz those are medieval torture devices IMO.  :cursing:

Not the one you asked, but the pettipants/split slips I wear are not hot, not binding at all. It's just like a regular slip (and since I like a lot of the thin cotton "broomstick" styles that often have no lining, I would need a slip anyway).  Here's a link

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/SniptoFit-Culotte-Underliner-by-Comfort-Choice.aspx?PfId=209634&DeptId=9443&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=G&pref=ps&ppos=25

You might also check somewhere like Junonia.com if you prefer something like a bike short. They specialize in activewear for plus sizes and have some things that look like they would work, in a quick-wick kind of fabric or cotton with a bit of spandex.

I find the idea of skirts as more modest interesting. I get noticeably more attention from men when I wear skirts or dresses.

I find I get more respect. I have an ...ahem...enticing ...booty. so in pants, I feel like I'm advertising my wares.

Gma il just bought me 3 pairs of capris. My Capri leggings all wore out. I've been wearing them without skirts because the style is different.

I feel so exposed. DH has asked that I change. I just don't wear pants well.

I'm feeling called...my hang up? Shirts and shoes.

I wear regular shoes with my skirts. I've also worn....well *I* call them tennis shoes, some people call them running shoes, whatever you want to call them, with my skirts.

I prefer tunics and peasant blouses as tops, but I also wear blouses for church and t-shirts at home.

I'm feeling called...my hang up? Shirts and shoes. 

Why?  Any tops you can tuck in look lovely with a skirt.  Personally, I think shirts hanging outside skirts look very sloppy and tend to make me look bulkier/fatter than I really am (JMHO). For everyday wear, a well-kept and nicely fitted tee shirt goes perfectly with any skirt -- short sleeves or sleeveless in hot weather, long sleeves in cooler weather. Most sweaters look nice with skirts as well.  Nearly any blouse (neatly tucked) will look a bit dressier depending on the style.

As for shoes, most ballet flats look very cute for everyday wear.  Cute sandals are perfect in summer.  For dressier days, of course heels are absolutely stunning and lovely. Knee high boots are wonderful in colder weather, especially with tights or leggings beneath for warmth.  Shoes that don't look nice with skirts (again, JMHO) are things like plastic shoes like crocs and any kind of sneakers, with the exception of Keds, which can look cute if done right.

Honestly?  It isn't any harder to style yourself nicely in skirts than in pants.  The key is to wear things that actually FIT, that aren't baggy and shapeless.  You are a woman. Don't be afraid to look like one.

^^^^^ I cannot tuck in shirts. I have a huge belly and a very high waist. It looks like Steve Urkel when I tuck. That's why shirts are hard.

I think we have a similar body shape.  I've found that I look better in dresses - specifically a shift or a sheath- 

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://static.guim.co.uk/Guardian/lifeandhealth/gallery/2008/mar/20/fashion.ethicalliving/peopletree1-9838.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandhealth/gallery/2008/mar/20/fashion.ethicalliving&h=450&w=300&sz=7&tbnid=LdSkdD_rpf0StM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=56&zoom=1&usg=__5IkUgoBDsZytN7m4KIIDPDbVJvs=&docid=62wk3ms_RVjg1M&sa=X&ei=UEvmUdyqMYqiigKYloDwCg&ved=0CGYQ9QEwEg&dur=5615  I can then put a shirt over it and the line of the shift works better as a "skirt" than an actual skirt for me.  

I find the idea of skirts as more modest interesting. I get noticeably more attention from men when I wear skirts or dresses.

I think modesty gets conflated with being feminine. And neither have much to do with the pretty specific advice regarding modesty given in Timothy (this conflation is a modern Christian thing after all) where modesty is strictly about showing off wealth (as it should be. Early Christian communities would have been an odd mix of rich and very poor).

There's a good discussion to be had to sort out all the influences.

Shouldn't a woman be able to wear skirts and dresses without being accused of anything more significant than wanting to? !!

My life is much better when I'm getting around in an ankle length, crushed velvet skirt. Though I think this would be worth getting the iron out for: http://www.1860-1960.com/xa6251p0.html

Agreed!  Rosie, have you seen Holy Clothing?

^^^^^ I cannot tuck in shirts. I have a huge belly and a very high waist. It looks like Steve Urkel when I tuck. That's why shirts are hard.

Then, I would suggest shirts that fit well and stop at your hip and have straight hems, but are not button-downs (not buttons all the way down at least -- those leave the sloppy gap at the bottom between the last button and the hem).  If the shirt stops at the hip it will give the illusion of a normal waistline no matter how far up your skirt waist actually sits.  So, tee shirts would be great for you, if they stop at your hip (and if they don't, that is a very simple alteration). Likewise, sweaters that stop at the hip would be nice. Also, I have seen many little peasant-style pull-over tops that stop at the hip.  Like these:

reitmans_720959_77_0_zpsbe915445.jpgreitmans_717261_30_0_zpsc9571936.jpgreitmans_715040_68_0_zps6d0c0562.jpg

I think this may be a hot button for many who were a part of churches or religious groups that insisted women had to wear skirts or dresses and it was wrong for them to wear pants.

I didn't grow up quite that strict, but I did attend a school where girls had to wear dresses only and for several years at home I had to too.

So, when I hear dresses only it just gets me a little twitchy.

Ultimately, I don't care either way what YOU do, but my past still makes this topic bring up some unpleasant things for me.

Shouldn't a woman be able to wear skirts and dresses without being accused of anything more significant than wanting to? !!

My life is much better when I'm getting around in an ankle length, crushed velvet skirt. Though I think this would be worth getting the iron out for: http://www.1860-1960.com/xa6251p0.html