Menu

Women who predominately (or always) wear dresses (cc)

Luanne

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the same thing. :)

Yeah, me too.  They do make for much easier access than pants, that's for sure.  I'm pretty sure most men figured that one out a long time ago. ;)

^^^

I don't see it as more modest, but Ido think its uniquely feminine, which frankly, my husband loves.

I got dressed this morning in a skirt and my daighter yelled, "mommy you look so pretty!!! And my husband's eyes just lit up line a Christmas tree and smiled big and said, "nice skirt!!!!" And gave me a kiss.

Thank you Audrey, that helps!! Since I am spending less on my daughters clothes, it's time to take care of me now.

I adore peasant type tops and skirts!

Then, I would suggest shirts that fit well and stop at your hip and have straight hems, but are not button-downs (not buttons all the way down at least -- those leave the sloppy gap at the bottom between the last button and the hem). If the shirt stops at the hip it will give the illusion of a normal waistline no matter how far up your skirt waist actually sits. So, tee shirts would be great for you, if they stop at your hip (and if they don't, that is a very simple alteration). Likewise, sweaters that stop at the hip would be nice. Also, I have seen many little peasant-style pull-over tops that stop at the hip. Like these:

Bummer - too bad they are at Walmart. Now that I know they exist I will look for them!!!!!!

If you find some, post here again, m'kay? Or PM me. I feel the same way about Walmart, but may use them to my advantage if I have to, and not give in to doing any other shopping there. I'd love to have some of these. I do like a reinforced crotch area and so far in my experience, Danskin leggings like this don't have that feature.

If you find some, post here again, m'kay? Or PM me. I feel the same way about Walmart, but may use them to my advantage if I have to, and not give in to doing any other shopping there. I'd love to have some of these. I do like a reinforced crotch area and so far in my experience, Danskin leggings like this don't have that feature.

Will do!

I found the prettiest maxi skirt at Costco today, but hubby nixed it. He said, "You always just wear them once and then I never see them on you again". I guess I need to prove to him that I will wear them. It's very new for me. He used to buy me skirts all the time and I would always come out in jeans. I guess I deserve that, eh?? LOL 

I wore a skirt all day today. It wasn't as uncomfortable as I remember and I think I know why: It's summer and I did not have to wear hose or heels. THAT is what makes me uncomfortable. Casual skirts with flip flops? Yeah - I can do that!!!!

I don't think so. But I'm not buying anymore clothing until I get to my goal weight. Or within 10 pounds of it.

AH, okay. Cuz if I waited until I was skinny, I would never get one. As it is, I have to just make do with what I have. It's hard to find stuff at thrift stores when you're plus sized too...

AH, okay. Cuz if I waited until I was skinny, I would never get one. As it is, I have to just make do with what I have. It's hard to find stuff at thrift stores when you're plus sized too...

Don't wait. Get one thing and tell us how it fits, feels and looks.

Don't wait. Get one thing and tell us how it fits, feels and looks.

Unfortunately I can't. I have to "prove" I am serious about wearing more skirts and less pants before he spends more money on them. He's right. He's bought me GORGEOUS skirts in the past and I never wore them. 

I've found some awesome maxi skirts at OneStopPlus.  It's this slinky stretchy material that just feels so good.  And yes, being able to just wear flip flops makes it soo much easier!

I wore this one to Sylvia's dance recital and actually felt like I looked good!

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Knit-Maxi-Skirt.aspx?PfId=384463&DeptId=11571&ProductTypeId=1&ppos=6

I would wear skirts daily because I think they are very flattering and comfortable, but I'm having trouble finding cute, relaxed skirts. I like the 3/4 length denim skirts with a bit of a flair at the bottom, but cannot find them online. I know they exist, because lots of people around here wear them; I guess I'll actually have to go shopping (yuck!).

OOO - love this at Holy Clothing!!!!

ETA:

Ha ha - and here I am looking at the tops and not the skirts. I guess I'm not there yet, eh? I do like this skirt a LOT but I think I'd kill myself with the length:

And I would TOTALLY wear this!!

I'm feeling called...my hang up? Shirts and shoes.

For shirts, I mostly wear a plain t-shirt. I buy a lot of Lands End fitted tees. They are fitted, but not too tight. I wear casual skirts or skorts. Mine are usually at or just a bit above or below my knee. A lot of my skirts and skorts are Title Nine, which, let's just be honest, is expensive. With skirts, I wear plain bike shorts underneath...I think I got them at Target or Sports Authority. For shoes, I mostly wear flip-flops or a thin slip on - basically like aqua shoes. Very lightweight. If I'm trying to doll up, though, I'll wear my tan wedge sandals or my foxy denim heels!

I think I need that green top you posted, PachiSusan.

Ankle length skirts are good. You don't trip over them when you walk, and you can learn not to stand on them when you sit down and try to get back up. :p

I really wish I could get those Holy Clothing prices here. *sigh*

I think I need that green top you posted, PachiSusan.

Ankle length skirts are good. You don't trip over them when you walk, and you can learn not to stand on them when you sit down and try to get back up. :p

I really wish I could get those Holy Clothing prices here. *sigh*

Can we buy from them if we're in the US? 

Can we buy from them if we're in the US?

People in the US can buy from anywhere, can't they? :surprised:

From their website, they are an American company. So go right ahead and enjoy a shopping spree! :D

(I could buy them too, but international shipping is a pain in the bottom if you want to return something.)

People in the US can buy from anywhere, can't they? :surprised:

From their website, they are an American company. So go right ahead and enjoy a shopping spree! :D

(I could buy them too, but international shipping is a pain in the bottom if you want to return something.)

Oh gosh, LMAO!!! I saw that there were no options for "English". 

I found the prettiest maxi skirt at Costco today, but hubby nixed it. He said, "You always just wear them once and then I never see them on you again". I guess I need to prove to him that I will wear them. It's very new for me. He used to buy me skirts all the time and I would always come out in jeans. I guess I deserve that, eh?? LOL

I wore a skirt all day today. It wasn't as uncomfortable as I remember and I think I know why: It's summer and I did not have to wear hose or heels. THAT is what makes me uncomfortable. Casual skirts with flip flops? Yeah - I can do that!!!!

I only wear casual skirts. I like footless tights in the winter. Thick, warm cotton ones. I wear regular shoes.

There's a world of difference between wearing a casual skirt and a tank or comfy tee and dressing in business attire.

OOO - love this at Holy Clothing!!!!

ETA:

Ha ha - and here I am looking at the tops and not the skirts. I guess I'm not there yet, eh? I do like this skirt a LOT but I think I'd kill myself with the length:

H463005_1.jpg

H223004_1.jpg

And I would TOTALLY wear this!!

H202001_6.jpg

I need Audrey to come back and tell me which top to wear with the purple skirt.

This is where I have problems picking out clothes. I have a hard time matching tops and bottoms. I generally pick out what the mannequin is wearing in my size.

I only wear casual skirts. I like footless tights in the winter. Thick, warm cotton ones. I wear regular shoes.

There's a world of difference between wearing a casual skirt and a tank or comfy tee and dressing in business attire.

Where do you get your cotton tights?

You might like Dustybug's blog post on her transition:

http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net/2012/07/skirts-mostly-familys-transition.html

There you go again! lol  I guess I need to add a publicist to my imaginary blogging budget. :p

As linked, I've been transitioning for awhile now.  I still wear pants/capris (though I've never been a fan of shorts--I think I look funny in them).  I have a rather round bottom and in pants, it is definitely more, ahem, accentuated.

For me, it's more a femininity thing than a modesty one.  My favorite skirts are my Old Navy fold over ones: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=79586&vid=1&pid=898555212

I have that one in several colors and wear them both casually and to church, depending on the top. 

As for shoes, I wear ballet style flats most of the time and flip flops in the spring/summer.  I still haven't mastered footwear in the dead of winter.  I need a good pair of flat boots (I hate heels) and I also need to invest in some good sturdy WARM tights. 

I saw a lady dressed in the most gorgeous maxi dress and beaded sandals and I wanted to look just like her. Then I woke up. You know those memes on FB where they have a picture of "What you think..." and "what they really see..." ones? Well, I had one of those happen. She was probably 5'10 120 lbs, long thin legs and arms, tan, beautiful coiffed hair and it was obvious the fabrics were expensive in the dress. 

Me in that dress would have been a circus. LOL

What You Think you look like:

What you really looked like:

I have been mostly wearing dresses and skirts this spring and summer because....I gained weight and my capri's weren't fitting. Now I enjoy them so much I will probably try to transition over to them as I lose weight and need to buy more clothes. I started following Trim Healthy Mama and have actually lost enough to fit back into my capris, but am really enjoying how comfortable they are and find them more flattering. I also feel they encourage me to dress up more and take the time to do my hair and make up.

I have always enjoyed wearing skirts and dresses and admired women who do wear them for religious reasons and felt they looked lovely. I've also always experienced a nudge in that direction from The Lord.

If I go that route I would not mention it to anyone and if people ask I might just say it was my preference, enless I felt like sharing this information would be positive for me. I have family members who would likely frowning it as well so I would probably just leave it at, I just like the way they look and they are comfortable.

I need Audrey to come back and tell me which top to wear with the purple skirt.

This is where I have problems picking out clothes. I have a hard time matching tops and bottoms. I generally pick out what the mannequin is wearing in my size.

The style of the green one would be better, but not that colour with the purple skirt.  But, that green top is a bit long, and the purple skirt's folds are very pretty, and if your top is too long, you hide where the pretty folding starts and that kind of ruins the beauty of it.  I would go with a simple black, charcoal or dark chocolate brown coloured fitted tee, preferably 3/4 length sleeve, or push up a long sleeve, then stack on some silver bangles (if wearing black or charcoal) or gold ones (if wearing dark chocolate brown. Put a little bling on your feet to show off the skirt hem.  Pretty sandals or flats.

If it were me, I would do the chocolate brown.  It's less expected and it's a gorgeous with purple.  I would add these things.  The sandal kind of echoes the waves of the folds.

imagesCAJRWX8Z_zpsc4c23e81.jpguntitled_zps926f5655.pngimagesCAMDG0K6_zps2d30f483.jpg

The style of the green one would be better, but not that colour with the purple skirt.  But, that green top is a bit long, and the purple skirt's folds are very pretty, and if your top is too long, you hide where the pretty folding starts and that kind of ruins the beauty of it.  I would go with a simple black, charcoal or dark chocolate brown coloured fitted tee, preferably 3/4 length sleeve, or push up a long sleeve, then stack on some silver bangles (if wearing black or charcoal) or gold ones (if wearing dark chocolate brown. Put a little bling on your feet to show off the skirt hem.  Pretty sandals or flats.

If it were me, I would do the chocolate brown.  It's less expected and it's a gorgeous with purple.  I would add these things.  The sandal kind of echoes the waves of the folds.

That sounds absolutely beautiful. 

The style of the green one would be better, but not that colour with the purple skirt. But, that green top is a bit long, and the purple skirt's folds are very pretty, and if your top is too long, you hide where the pretty folding starts and that kind of ruins the beauty of it. I would go with a simple black, charcoal or dark chocolate brown coloured fitted tee, preferably 3/4 length sleeve, or push up a long sleeve, then stack on some silver bangles (if wearing black or charcoal) or gold ones (if wearing dark chocolate brown. Put a little bling on your feet to show off the skirt hem. Pretty sandals or flats.

If it were me, I would do the chocolate brown. It's less expected and it's a gorgeous with purple. I would add these things. The sandal kind of echoes the waves of the folds.

imagesCAJRWX8Z_zpsc4c23e81.jpguntitled_zps926f5655.pngimagesCAMDG0K6_zps2d30f483.jpg

Thanks!

Hose is the evil spawn of Satan! All women everywhere will be more comfortable if they rebel against the hose industry.

In the winter, to make up for the "warmth" that hose or tights might have provided, I wear leggings and they look just fine with a pair of nice flats since it isn't all that practical to wear open toed cutie shoes in the winter in Michigan unless you plan on wearing boots outside and hauling shoes around to change into when you get inside. GAH! At home, it's easy.

My favorite stay warm apparel for winter is a pair of JcPenny cuddledud long underwear under my almost ankle length black, wool riding skirt, with a pair of nice socks, and a cami or tank under my fair isle sweater. For whatever reason, this is way warmer than pants, even pants with the long underwear which is too bulky to be practical. However, those flannel lined Lands End jeans work like a charm for staying warm while doing farm chores.

I didn't think I could pull of dresses with leggings at my age and general, lumpy gravity and four pregnancies have not been kind body, but according to dh, he really likes it! So, I guess maybe my mirror is not all that accurate. It's definitely worth giving a try in my book.

Faith

And I keep getting the darned "fill these words in" message. What is UP with that? Have I been reported as SPAM?

You can find something similar to what you describe, like unpadded bike shorts, in the lingerie department. I have a couple of pairs that I think are by Hanes. After a bunch of kids including twins and a couple of Csections, even at my slimmest I like to feel "tucked in"! It also helps clothing to lay down nicely. You really want them out of the shiny stuff because a garment like that out of cotton would just cause clothing over it to bunch up.

On super hot days, forget it! But most of the time under my skirts I like a little shaper. My ds has moisture wicking under armor type underwear for camping and hiking in extreme conditions. I might need to check out what's available for women. I do remember from reading the How Not to Look Fat book that one of the author's secrets is bike shorts under everything. Ha, maybe I'll skip the lingerie department next time and head for the sporting goods store!

ETA - Susan I have no idea why this part of your message showed up here. I thought I quoted something that related to what I shared! Forgive me lack of technical savvy..,

I would wear skirts daily because I think they are very flattering and comfortable, but I'm having trouble finding cute, relaxed skirts. I like the 3/4 length denim skirts with a bit of a flair at the bottom, but cannot find them online. I know they exist, because lots of people around here wear them; I guess I'll actually have to go shopping (yuck!).

I'm afraid I can only help with resources from a plus size perspective, but some retailers go down to a smaller size than others. www.roamans.com has several styles starting at a women's 12 (US) and going up to at least a 32W (US).  For an everyday denim skirt, I like the flared skirt from www.womanwithin.com that comes in a 14W to 42W. I prefer a woven fabric to a knit because it flows better over my bulges ;) . Both these sites have a variety of skirt options. Both offer at least a few styles of skorts for folks looking for those. Another option for active wear (including some skirts and sport skirts) is www.junonia.com (check the Juno's Closet clearance area), and www.justmysize.com has a few skirt styles.

I will admit there is a trick to negotiating going up stairs in a longer skirt in order to avoid stepping on it (particularly if said skirt has an elastic waist---I speak from experience :eek: :blushing: ). I grab it and lift up a bit, but that can be a bit awkward if both hands are full. Even calf-length skirts can be an issue in this circumstance.