Menu

Women who predominately (or always) wear dresses (cc)

Luanne

I wish they made bike shorts for women that were all cotton - not the shiny stuff with the built in butt pad

! LOL

They do! Well almost all cotton (90%): 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Bike-Shorts-2-pack/13985934

I think these are the same ones I have (in gray). As far as size, I usually get a 1X or 16-18, so I went with the XXL in these. I actually wish I had gone with XL instead for wearing under skirts because I wanted something a little more form-fitting. That's a really good price for bike shorts, so you really might want to give it a try. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also thought of something that may be holding people back from exploring skirts and dresses. The dressing up mindset. Or the thinking that one is just staying home today cleaning toilets and snotty noses. Why bother.

If I put on a skirt in the morning, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm dressing up. It simply means I feel like wearing a skirt. I've cleaned while bare foot wearing a skirt. Shoot twice I was caught away from the house and ended up firefighting in a skirt. My point being skirts and dresses aren't just for church or going out.

When we were kids we often were told to change out of our dresses and skirts and put on play clothes. A lot of people still follow that rule, and they think nicer clothes are only for dressing up. It doesn't have to be that way.

I will admit when I am in a skirt or dress I'll pop on a watch, a bangle and a pair of earrings along with mascara. Most days I won't even leave the house. But I feel good.

Off to run so I can get past stupid 160. That is another thread.

I also thought of something that may be holding people back from exploring skirts and dresses. The dressing up mindset. Or the thinking that one is just staying home today cleaning toilets and snotty noses. Why bother.

If I put on a skirt in the morning, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm dressing up. It simply means I feel like wearing a skirt. I've cleaned while bare foot wearing a skirt. Shoot twice I was caught away from the house and ended up firefighting in a skirt. My point being skirts and dresses aren't just for church or going out.

When we were kids we often were told to change out of our dresses and skirts and put on play clothes. A lot of people still follow that rule, and they think nicer clothes are only for dressing up. It doesn't have to be that way.

I will admit when I am in a skirt or dress I'll pop on a watch, a bangle and a pair of earrings along with mascara. Most days I won't even leave the house. But I feel good.

I agree. 100%!  You know... we are very hard on ourselves as women.  The way we talk ourselves, one would think we're describing deformed trolls.  I really used to struggle with that, but I realised that men do not see us the way we think they do.  Men are very easily attracted to ALL kinds of women.  And, ALL kinds of women can be lovely -- we just have to remember that, and then treat ourselves like we ARE lovely.

Dressing nicely can make you feel lovely on the outside, but also quite lovely on the inside.  It's a mood lifter to feel that you look lovely.  It doesn't have to be dresses or skirts, either, although I know that's the point of this thread.  But, if dresses and skirts make you feel lovely then just wear them.  You don't owe anyone any explanations for your choice of outfit for the day.  Just be your lovely self!

This is completely true.  My DH coached my son's t-ball team this year and one of the mom's that I chatted with frequently once commented about what I was wearing and said, "I wish I could dress up every day!"  I was wearing one of those Old Navy jersey knit skirts and a plain black t-shirt.  I didn't feel in the least bit dressed up.  I scrub my toilet in a skirt most of the time. However, wearing that same outfit but changing from my flip flops to a nicer pair of flats and changing my ponytail to a nicer style?  Then I feel pretty. :)

I need Audrey to come back and tell me which top to wear with the purple skirt.

This is where I have problems picking out clothes. I have a hard time matching tops and bottoms. I generally pick out what the mannequin is wearing in my size.

always pair something colorful with something neutral, something drapey with something fitted. I have a stack of little black tanks, a bunch of charcoal grey tights, 3 pairs of neutral capris, a bunch of little black skirts and 2 little black dresses. Everything else is colorful and fun. Build a nice, plain base layer and add a splash of color and movement.

I'm wearing a dress over jeans today and managed to clobber the back of my head against the tub when cleaning when I tripped on my own skirt and fell backwards.  Note to self:  don't step on skirt hem when crouching to clean up the bathroom and then fall backwards trying to stand up.  I love me my skirts and dresses but there isn't anything feminine about banging my head when cleaning up under the vanity.  I've been reminded of this every time I squat for the laundry today and nearly do the same thing.  I don't have this issue in knee length skirts but this dress is mid calf.  

Shorter skirts are better for cleaning. 

I have 2 kinds of skirts. Short, fitted, t shirt skirts, and long, swirly, drapey skirts. My dresses are all for going out. Not intentional. I just need to add some dresses. 

Just like you have sweat pants, yoga pants, jeans, slacks, etc, for different occasions, you need different skirts. Some for around the house, some errands, some for being fancy. 

Please let us know about the quality and if you like them when they arrive.

Day 5 and hubby said, "I'm really loving you wearing more skirts!!"... later in the day " I said "I love them but I feel they'll make me look like a sausage." His response? "Let's find you a few and try them on and see what happens..Why don't we drive down to Ross and see if we can find you a nice Maxi dress like you've been talking about..."

A big change from 5 days ago when I showed him a gorgeous skirt and he said "You never wear what I buy you...."

Hmmmm

Oh, my goodness! Did you ladies see the cloaks? http://holyclothing.com/index.php/dresses/avalon-renaissance-velvet-satin-medieval-sleeved-cloak-cape.html

Dd and I were practically salivating. We each want one to wear this fall/winter.

Not the same, but a couple of years ago I found a lovely sweater cape. It's not as long as the one you pictured--think poncho. lol But it's a dark grape color and it swirls when I wear it. Makes me feel artsy. :)  Great for dressing up an outfit and wearing to church (easy on if it's cold, easy off if it's warm inside the building.)

Day 5 and hubby said, "I'm really loving you wearing more skirts!!"... later in the day " I said "I love them but I feel they'll make me look like a sausage." His response? "Let's find you a few and try them on and see what happens..Why don't we drive down to Ross and see if we can find you a nice Maxi dress like you've been talking about..."

A big change from 5 days ago when I showed him a gorgeous skirt and he said "You never wear what I buy you...."

Hmmmm

I'm loving your updates!

Here are the 2 dresses I bought in Spring.  Part of me really wishes I'd waited and got them on sale, but my size sells out quickly.  They're from Boden (UK).  I have other clothes from them and they've lasted very, very well.  I got a lot of wear out of both of these, but especially the navy shift, which works nicely for day with some silver earrings and bangles and a colourful chiffon scarf, or I can put on some gold jewellery and heels and it is very nice for a business or less casual evening.  The black one is a wool/cotton blend which was very nice in the cooler months of Spring and I'll bring it back out when the weather turns again.

13WSUM_WH489_BLK_zps9f260a09.jpg13WSUM_WH483_NAV_zps282bba11.jpg

Oh, my goodness! Did you ladies see the cloaks? http://holyclothing.com/index.php/dresses/avalon-renaissance-velvet-satin-medieval-sleeved-cloak-cape.html

Dd and I were practically salivating. We each want one to wear this fall/winter.

Not velvet, but I get to wear this when we attend the Birth night Ball at Mt. Vernon every year. It's actually the men's version--I borrow from dh. Makes me feel...colonial. And warm.:-)http://www.almy.com/Product/31702W

I plan on getting one of those capes this fall - i've been drooling over those clothes for about a year.

Im far from skirts/dresses only but I have been enjoying them more and more over the last decade. I don't have great legs so that makes me more self-conscious about it.

I definitely feel prettier and more feminine in skirts/dresses.

Here are the 2 dresses I bought in Spring. Part of me really wishes I'd waited and got them on sale, but my size sells out quickly. They're from Boden (UK). I have other clothes from them and they've lasted very, very well. I got a lot of wear out of both of these, but especially the navy shift, which works nicely for day with some silver earrings and bangles and a colourful chiffon scarf, or I can put on some gold jewellery and heels and it is very nice for a business or less casual evening. The black one is a wool/cotton blend which was very nice in the cooler months of Spring and I'll bring it back out when the weather turns again.

13WSUM_WH489_BLK_zps9f260a09.jpg13WSUM_WH483_NAV_zps282bba11.jpg

Those are perfect classic pieces.

I plan on getting one of those capes this fall - i've been drooling over those clothes for about a year.

Im far from skirts/dresses only but I have been enjoying them more and more over the last decade. I don't have great legs so that makes me more self-conscious about it.

I definitely feel prettier and more feminine in skirts/dresses.

Where would one wear a cape like that? It's gorgeous, but I can't imagine anywhere that I would wear it and not feel like I was in a costume. 

Where would one wear a cape like that? It's gorgeous, but I can't imagine anywhere that I would wear it and not feel like I was in a costume.

I plan on wearing it everywhere when/if I get one. I don't mind being known as the eccentric old broad.

I plan on wearing it everywhere when/if I get one. I don't mind being known as the eccentric old broad.

He heee. Are you going to get it in purple and wear a red hat with it too? 

Seriously though, I'm so paranoid about "sticking out" and having people look at me that I dont' know that I could ever pull it off. 

He heee. Are you going to get it in purple and wear a red hat with it too?

Seriously though, I'm so paranoid about "sticking out" and having people look at me that I dont' know that I could ever pull it off.

Sweetie, they aren't looking at you. They are admiring your tastes and wondering if they can pull it off too.

Sweetie, they aren't looking at you. They are admiring your tastes and wondering if they can pull it off too.

Or if they are not, you can pity them for having so little excitement in their lives. :p

Aw, that's sweet of you two. I'm just a very self conscious fat chick. It's my issue, and most likely 99% of the world doesn't even notice when I walk in the door. LOL

I don't wear skirts all the time, but I wear them often (because I like them, no other reason). I usually get the "why are you so dressed up" comments, LOL.

I get this, too. Along with disapproving looks from other women. Usually when they are with a man.

I, however, make it a point to tell strange women( that sounds funny), I mean women who are strangers, :lol: that they look fabulous when they do.

Aw, that's sweet of you two. I'm just a very self conscious fat chick. It's my issue, and most likely 99% of the world doesn't even notice when I walk in the door. LOL

Yup. 

I have large varicose veins on the back of one leg and some edema in that leg. Just that leg. *sigh* I would not wear shorts, capris or skirts for years. Then I had to for my brother's wedding a few weeks back. I couldn't go in the planned dress pants and blouse after I saw the DH is his tux (groomsman). Okay. I bought a long dress. But while I was trying it on my DH, sensing his opportunity, grabbed another dress he liked off the clearance rack. A nice, simple crossover style. I humoured him and tried it on and...I looked fantastic. Legs? Who was going to look at my legs when the girls were so well presented (my husband's point all along)?

So I bought it. And I wore it around the house a bit (funny dress. Looks great dressed up but put on a headscarf, an apron, and a pair of rubber boots and I look like I just stepped off a Russian farm in the 40's) and gosh, it was so comfortable. My legs were so free. 

So I wore it out. And suddenly I was free! I dug out a pair of capris my MIL gave me several years ago hoping I'd wear them and I'm trendily rolling up my jeans in a cuff and boy, it feels good. 

One thing that really, really helped was reading some cusp and plus size fashion blogs. Seeing women my size or with similar bodies and how they managed to look beautiful and stylish was helpful. I spent hours looking at these women and when I looked in my mirror afterwards my body looked fine and normal.

Here's a link to a whole long list of them - http://heartifb.com/2013/04/08/15-plus-size-fashion-bloggers-redefining-fashion/

Add to that http://frocksandfroufrou.com and http://www.wardrobeoxygen.com/

So I bought it. And I wore it around the house a bit (funny dress. Looks great dressed up but put on a headscarf, an apron, and a pair of rubber boots and I look like I just stepped off a Russian farm in the 40's) and gosh, it was so comfortable. My legs were so free. 

That is one of my favorite looks, I just didn't know what to call it until now.  :lol:

I LOVE modcloth, though I never buy anything...I feel I *should* go about my day looking like a modcloth model, but then I go eh, hell with it, and throw on skinnies, a studded belt, and a black t-shirt. What can I say--old habits are hard to break.

You should totally buy that dress. It is awesome! And I can live vicariously through you! Lol.

quote name="elīsheba'" post="5091179" timestamp="1374544662"]

What do you ladies do about *ahem* thigh chafing?

I have a pair of very short leggings, but only one pair. I don't feel comfortable not wearing anything underneath the skirts, but I don't want to wear shorts either.

Anything especially made for this issue?

:bigear:

Why yes, and they're rather sexy too...

http://girlwithcurves.com/post/53912449402/a-sexy-solution