Menu

Have you cramped/bled a lot and still had a healthy baby?

Kathryn

UPDATE: the baby died, it appears a week and a half ago, the day after the ultrasound.

I need to know this can happen.

We saw the heartbeat at eight weeks. Everything looked fine. I've been worried the whole time because I haven't been sick and I was terribly sick with my other two. On Thursday, I had horrible intestinal upset. I felt better on Friday. Friday night, we traveled three hours away to my FIL's house. I woke up Saturday morning to abdominal discomfort and when I used the bathroom, there was bright red blood and over the next hour I passed small clots. As the day went on, the cramping became noticeably from my uterus, but the blood turned brown and lessened. Then, cramping died down and I was feeling better. But, as I lay down tonight, the cramping picked up again and when I got up at 1am to use the bathroom, the bleeding has picked up again and it's bright red again and has tissue/clots. I'm now 9w5d and I'm terrified I'm losing the baby. The on-call doctor basically said that if I start hemoraging to go to an ER, but otherwise call my OB on Monday. So, has this happened to anyone and the baby was okay?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry you're dealing with this... In the middle of the night on a weekend, no less.

I started bleeding at 5-6 weeks with DS. Mostly brown or pink, but there was some bright red, and definitely cramping. I don't remember clots. I bled the rest of the first trimester, then it was like nothing ever happened... He's 10 now. (He was perfectly fine, but I was a nervous wreck the rest of the time.). And, I wasn't sick either, just remember each time will be different.

Sending you big :grouphug: and hoping for the best.

I bled with both my healthy kids. With my 1st, it was one incident. With the 2nd, it was clots and on and off for a week or 2. :grouphug:

ETA - the interesting thing is I started bleeding w/both right when my 2nd period would have been due (like 8 weeks 3 days). I always suspected it would have happened again had we had another baby.

I did...and I put myself on bed rest. One of those pregnancies is now 22 and in grad school and the other is 18 and just graduated high school. It turns out that my progesterone was very low, so when I began bleeding with my youngest 2, the OB prescribed progesterone supplement suppositories.

Call your OB monday, get an US and have them put you on progesterone. Rest this weekend....drink lots of water and lie on your left side to keep you organs happy.

Good luck....and prayers.

have you been checked at all since you started bleeding? the clots and cramping aren't a good sign. BUT - it is possible to continue. are they clots, or coagulated blood? apparently, my ob said there is a difference. though I didn't understand what it was.

I started bleeding at six weeks - did an US, saw the heartbeat, determined where the blood was coming from - a section of the placenta that didn't attach properly. I was told you can lose a decent size section, and still have a healthy baby. I bled off and on until I was 12 weeks. then, when I was 7 1/2 months, I started bleeding again off and on until I delivered.

On the way home now.

have you been checked at all since you started bleeding? the clots and cramping aren't a good sign. BUT - it is possible to continue. are they clots, or coagulated blood? apparently, my ob said there is a difference. though I didn't understand what it was.

No. I called the office Saturday morning and the on-call doctor was very unhelpful. Basically, he said there was nothing that could be done at this stage if I am miscarrying. I was lying down and he said to get up and move around and see what happened. I tried that, but it hurt too much. He said if I started hemorrhaging, to go to an ER and no matter what happens to call my OB Monday morning.

I looking up clots vs. coagulated blood, but what I saw said that coagulation is the process by which clots form. IDK, it was small squishy blobs of blood. Now, there is thick, dark red blood and what appear to be small pieces of tissue coming out when I use the bathroom.

I did a little at about 3 months, and my son was born premature and did have some health issues - but he's 15 now and doing great!

I have a good friend who had so many issues like what you mentioned she thought she had miscarried - he daughter is a gorgeous 6 month old now....

So - yes, it can turn out ok.

<<<hugs>>>

I'm so worried about you. :grouphug:

What you're experiencing sounds like what I experienced when I had a miscarriage, but I know other people have had a lot of bleeding and everything has been OK, so I'm going to keep praying that you will be one of the lucky ones and that everything will be fine.

I don't know if I should have posted this, because I don't want to upset you any more than you already are, but I don't want to lie to you, either. I'm really worried. Can you go to the ER and get checked out? Waiting is agony.

I bled and cramped quite a bit with my first one (during the first trimester). We were certain I was miscarrying, so my husband bought me a puppy.

Today that baby is 24.

I'm sorry you're dealing with that. I know how scary it is, and how helpless you feel in the midst of it.

It could be a subchorionic hematoma, which can cause women to not only bleed heavily but to pass (sometimes large) clots as well. They can cause a lot of cramping as well. The only way to diagnose this would be to have an ultrasound done. As scary as it sounds, and yes, they do have a risk of miscarriage, a lot of the times they can resolve themselves but usually women are placed on strict pelvic rest and sometimes even bed rest.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. :grouphug: My heart goes out to you and I hope you are able to get some answers soon. Be sure to rest, rest, rest, and stay hydrated until you can get to your OB.

At about 6 weeks I began bleeding on a Friday. I called my OB who was away for the weekend and talked to the on call doctor. She bluntly told me I was having a miscarriage and to spend the weekend in bed and check in with my doctor on Monday.

I cried hysterically the entire weekend. My "miscarriage" is about to turn 17.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

I have cramped and bled a lot and had a successful pregnancy. I had a subchorionic hematoma with my now 11 year old.

I had another SH with what would have been my 7th child. I was gushing blood and she hung on until week 17 but the clot ended the pregnancy. I then conceived again, no SH, light spotting, and she is my 7th child.

I have also had an 8 week loss with almost no cramping or bleeding.

My OB said the reason one pregnancy survived the SH and the other didn't was age. If you are under 30 or even 35 age is on your side. Anything over 35 and the odds get worse :(. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Prayers for you. I had blood clots (and more) so badly with my first that I thought I had miscarried him. He's 21 now. The doctors were unhelpful and even offered me tranquilizers not knowing I was still pregnant. (I didn't take them.)

I did have a miscarriage at 11 weeks with my next pregnancy. Still one of the saddest things I've ever had to go through.

Please let us know what the doctor says tomorrow.

:grouphug:

During my last pregnancy, I started bleeding at the end of the first trimester. It was bright red blood for several days and then I continued to spot for several weeks. He is almost 1 yr old now. It might be a miscarriage, but it might not be. Try to be calm until you see you can get in and have an ultrasound.

I had cramping and bleeding with clots while pregnant with #4. It happened several times during the first trimester. I was induced at 36 weeks because it started again. They were a bit worried during labor because I had excessive bleeding, but everything turned out fine.

:grouphug: Praying everything is okay. :grouphug:

Cat, DH is calling the urgent care to see how long the wait is. We don't have anyone to watch the boys today.

I hope you're able to get some answers today, but if you end up staying home until you can see your regular doctor tomorrow, try to lie down and rest as much as is humanly possible.

Still praying here. :grouphug:

I would think urgent care would triage. the ER did. there were alot of people there when I went in with bleeding (and a cough that wouldn't stop). they bumped me to the front and brought me back as soon as they cleared a room. less than 10 minutes. They initially thought I was miscarrying - but instead I was diagnosed with pnuemonia.

I would think urgent care would triage. the ER did. there were alot of people there when I went in with bleeding (and a cough that wouldn't stop). they bumped me to the front and brought me back as soon as they cleared a room. less than 10 minutes. They initially thought I was miscarrying - but instead I was diagnosed with pnuemonia.

That's an excellent point -- Kathryn, did you let them know that you're pregnant and bleeding? (If they're not receptive, perhaps a little bit of drama would go a long way in getting you bumped to the front of the line.)

I got a room right away. Saw "something" in the womb on portable ultrasound, but no heartbeat. He said it could be my tilted uterus or the crappy portable u/s not letting it be seen. Hooked up to IVs and morphine. Waiting for formal ultrasound.