Menu

OK, Hive I have a challenge for you.

Koerarmoca

Dh's new job is VERY high security. He needs something he can do in his cube when he is not taking calls. He has no Internet access, is not allowed any electronic devices not even hand held games like video poker. Of course no, kindles, iPods, phones etc. No reading material unless every page is laminated. No paper or pens/pencils. He has a very small cube so it can't be a 1,000 piece puzzle or anything like that.

Basically nothing that he could use to write down any data.

So far on the list we have rubix cube. That might entertain him for about 10 minutes lol.

PLEASE HELP!

he will be out of training in less than 2 weeks and I need to find somethings to buy/order for him. Links would be great!!

Work on memory work? Memorize long poems, lines of a play...you could laminate the poem/play.

What do the other people at work do to pass the time?

I'd have to ask him if he'd be into that.

So far he hasn't really met too many folks outside of training class. One guy has a complete army men set and another had a matchbox car set lol...can't see dh doing any of that either.

That look like a good possibility

Can he have cards? SET is a great game you can play by yourself, and cards could be laminated.

I'm not familiar with that game, I will ask him about cards though

Not allowed, a girl in his class asked. You can knit in code was the response. He is working with very high security bank information.

Not allowed, a girl in his class asked. You can knit in code was the response. He is working with very high security bank information.

In that case, playing cards probably wouldn't be allowed either, since you could arrange the numbers in a certain order and then take them home.

Is he really going to have that much free time at work that he is going to need entertainment? I think a poem or something to memorize is a good idea, or maybe a model to put together.

In that case, playing cards probably wouldn't be allowed either, since you could arrange the numbers in a certain order and then take them home.

Is he really going to have that much free time at work that he is going to need entertainment? I think a poem or something to memorize is a good idea, or maybe a model to put together.

I had the same thought I will have to ask him on that. Free time does happen frequently based on the time of day and time of month. They are open 24/7 and not everyone makes banking calls at say 6 am MST.

SET is its own card design; no numbers. Just colors and patterns. The cards look like what you see at this online version.

They're afraid of a real-life Madame Defarge, I guess :D

Zen garden? Fifteen puzzle?

Tangle Therapy?

Cube World blocks?

Poolside (Durabook - waterproof book)? Not sure if it counts as laminated.

Slinky? Nerf basketball? Hexbugs?

I'd have to ask him if he'd be into that.

So far he hasn't really met too many folks outside of training class. One guy has a complete army men set and another had a matchbox car set lol...can't see dh doing any of that either.

Am I the only one that is imagining a full grown man sitting there playing matchbox cars while waiting for the phone to ring? :laugh:

And a question: I'm assuming they're concerned about employees getting information out of the center. Why couldn't they bring in a reading book, puzzle book or some such thing to do, with the understanding that it gets left behind each day, and forever when they're done with the job?

Really!?!?!?

No -- there are at least two of us.

My brother once worked on a project in the personal home of the CEO of a multi-national company. He had two adult children, neither living at home, and no grandchildren. He also had an entire loft floor set up like a little boy's wonderland. Trains, cars, trampolines, everything. Apparently he played like a toddler at home. I guess he needed the mental break after a day at the office, with so many heavy decisions and things to make. Seemed weird, but makes a kind of sense.

OP, I'm a mean wife but I'd have my DH earning a secondary Etsy-esque income during those work lulls! I'd send mine with some beads and basic tools,and have him making jewelry, ID lanyards, or rosaries. If no tools were allowed, I'd send him with felt and scissors and let him create a felt wonderland of all shapes and colors. Or, if allowed, some duct tape and my measurements (I could use a new dress). Or embroidery floss for friendship bracelets, maybe paracord for necklaces. I'm not one for crafts, but if that were my only option from mindnumbing boredom ... I might go there!

Heck, I'd send him with a load of laundry every day and have him fold those!! Or my silver, which could use a good shining. Or a handful of fake flowers, a vase, and my best wishes that he return home with an attractive arrangment for the foyer (I'd even be so helpful as to laminate pages from a library book on ikebana or flower arranging that he might take with him).

What about a nerf gun and a target taped to his cubicle? Laminate a picture of {insert political enemy here} or use the dartboard point target. Laminate some legal paper and tape end to end to create a mini-shuffleboard field and use a checker piece and an index finger to play. Bring a plastic cup and a ping pong ball and bounce. Fashion a basketball net to secure to the cubicle wall and buy a nerf ball. Bring one of those balance boards or a hula hoop if space allows. No origami (paper) but he can learn the fine art of napkin folding and institute a new annual intra-office tournament ;)

He can learn to play the drums or piano, and use a practice pad/keyboard turned to off - bring in laminated sheet music to practice hand placement, etc. Is playdough allowed? Sky's the limit, if so LOL. Even a small cubicle should have enough space to work through a tai chi routine B) or, squats, tricep presses against his desk, push-ups against the cubicle wall, air boxing, etc. He can get a mini-workout every day! He can laminate a home-made printout or version of a game ... say, Stratego, and invite the coworker with the Army guy set over for a go.

Speaking of games, what about Othello or Backgammon to play either alone or with someone? Concentration/Memory - you can make and laminate those at home, is there anything he needs/wants to memorize? Books in the Bible, World Capitals, Chefs/Restaurants they own, Authors/Books written, ... you get the idea.

He can string silk flower petals (Lakeshore Learning) to make leis or a closet/room divider. Or he can do the same with a pack of coffee filters LOL.

What about go?

Bucky balls... Lots of Bucky balls.

A little catapult.

A chair stacking game?

http://www.starcrest.com/product/family+fun/puzzles+and+games/chairstackinggame.do

Other balance games (plastic is quieter if that matters).

Here are some lists of single player games at Board Game Geek. There are other lists there as well.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19939/solitaire-solo-single-player-games-meta-list

My DH works under similiar conditions. He's been taking his mandolin to work recently. He does have work he can be doing most of the time, but for an occasional recharge without leaving the building, an instrument is nice.

DH doesn't work in super high security conditions, but he does often take his ukulele to work for the same reason.

I have an idea.

CD player with headphones and audio book CDs from the library. Make it an old fashioned CD player.

I was under the impression he can't have any electronics, period. Even an old CD player with batteries could have a recording device or something hidden in it.

What about some kind of work-out? Prisoners exercise in their cells with no equipment. Earn money and get in shape at the same time!!

:iagree: I'd bring a yoga mat and some weights, along with a few laminated pages of workout ideas, and get some exercise.

Yeah -- but how would you ever know if you got it correct?

You also cut/laminate numbers, maybe a few of each number. If you wanted to be extra fancy you could put velcro tabs on the back of those numbers and also on the laminated sudoku card -- easy to move around that way :)

Or you could assign each number a color token, similar to the ones found at educational stores. The clear type ones teachers use on their overhead projectors, or like the ones in AAS. So red = 1, yellow = 2, and so on. You'd probably need a laminated code sheet, too LOL.

OP, I think DH needs a set of popsicle sticks. He can build a bridge. A series of bridges. Make himself a little physics project B)