Menu

Is this proper for a high school food's class (in public school)

Only me

Link to her other thread about movies of hombeirths being shown in class- http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/436717-public-school-health-class/

It's about her son's health class from last fall, and she does mention her daughter's teacher showing homebirths in a previous health class. But really, if all of this is true, I'd rather my kid be a dropout. Seriously, no way would my kid go to school in this district.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link to her other thread about movies of hombeirths being shown in class- http://forums.welltr...l-health-class/

It's about her son's health class from last fall, and she does mention her daughter's teacher showing homebirths in a previous health class. But really, if all of this is true, I'd rather my kid be a dropout. Seriously, no way would my kid go to school in this district.

:iagree:

Thanks for posting the link.

I remembered that thread as soon as you mentioned it, but I hadn't realized it was so recent, and I hadn't realized the OP had started that thread as well. (And despite repeated advice to the contrary, she didn't bother to report that "alleged incident" to the school, either. Hmmmm..... :rolleyes:)

And now I'm more confused than ever about what's going on here, because although I have been trying to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, despite the incredibly bizarre and unbelievable situation, this story really isn't adding up. :glare:

I'm really sorry that I don't have an update. Talked to son about it more. They were told it was a human placenta. The lady took out of some kind of bag and when went to place it on the table it slipped and splattered blood onto a girl. She washed her hands but son talked to her today and the girl can't get the stain out of her pants. I don't know if the girl told her parents. The students are scared of her. She is very strict and isn't very nice to the students. My son doesnt want us to talk to the teacher for fear of her causing problems for him and he doesn't want the other kids to know that we talked to the teacher. My husband got home tonight and we will discuss talking to someone next week. I'm hoping we can keep it confidential so it doesn't cause my son problems. I'm upset since I think this was highly inappropriate for a foods class but I don't like that she thinks she can teach them whatever she wants even if it doesn't pertain to food. Btw I'm legit. I've been on this board for over ten years. My son is usually the opposite and tends to downplay things. If it was fake I'm not sure what splattered on the girl then.

Around here, I know parents can sign forms and completely opt their kids out of health classes. Schools seem to take this very seriously. If this teacher in fact believes she can "teach whatever she wants" the principal needs to know that. Seems like this could subject the school to lawsuits. And if the teacher harasses students for reporting inappropriate behavior, the school would also need to know that. There should be plenty of ways to protect your kid from the wrath of this teacher.

That's just a bit of an overgeneralization, don't you think?

No, I don't. I think what the OP said happened, actually did and I think stuff like this happens all the time ... sometimes worse. Children are allowed to be totally disprespectful to each other and to the teachers ... I could go on and on, but I won't. If you want to continue believing public school is a great place for children, help yourself. I will continue to disagree though.

:iagree:

Thanks for posting the link.

I remembered that thread as soon as you mentioned it, but I hadn't realized it was so recent, and I hadn't realized the OP had started that thread as well. (And despite repeated advice to the contrary, she didn't bother to report that "alleged incident" to the school, either. Hmmmm..... :rolleyes:)

And now I'm more confused than ever about what's going on here, because although I have been trying to give the OP the benefit of the doubt, despite the incredibly bizarre and unbelievable situation, this story really isn't adding up. :glare:

This has been my feeling all along. I remember that story from last fall because it was quite appalling. I'm not saying OP is lying, but I'm definitely missing some information if this is supposed to add up.

No, I don't. I think what the OP said happened, actually did and I think stuff like this happens all the time ... sometimes worse. Children are allowed to be totally disprespectful to each other and to the teachers ... I could go on and on, but I won't. If you want to continue believing public school is a great place for children, help yourself. I will continue to disagree though.

Perhaps you've had bad experiences. But that shouldn't make it true for ALL ps in general. My kids go to PS, and I work there as well. Fortunately, we are blessed to be in a good district with very caring teachers and staff. My perspective is as an employee as well as a parent. Are there aspects I don't agree with? Sure. But overall, my kids are doing great and I have worked with the school to resolve the issues that led us to homeschooling for a short time. When my child's Kindergarten teacher stays until 7 or 8 pm working on plans and activities, calls and texts me on her way home or on the weekends about his progress and attends ANY student's personal social event that she is invited to....THAT is a teacher who cares greatly about her students. No school is perfect. There are some teachers and administration that make poor decisions, but I think you have gone too far with your generalizing.

As far as it relates to the OP, that situation is beyond bizarre and definitely NOT the norm in ps.

The thawed placentas I have seen appeared to have blood. In reality it was more likely thawed ice crystals that had a reddish tinge from the tiny amounts of blood that would have been frozen with the placenta.

Again I don't find this wholly improbable. Weird, but not impossible.

You know, this just about sums up my entire public school experience- chaotic, disorganized classes, lots of busy-work, and minimal quality projects.

I am still pleasantly surprised by the activities, organization and quality of the classes my dc have access to (all outside of public school), and they are only 9 and 6.

My 9yr old would be frustrated with the class you are describing.

Another poster mentioned that they knew of someone who did go around to high schools doing this. I know it seems far fetched but this teacher has done crazy stuff before. I have no idea why you think I or my son would make this up. I came on here asking for opinions. At the time dh was out of town and since things tend to bother me I decided to ask the Hive's opinion. I've been a member of this board and the old board for several years and I can usually count on people to give me their honest opinions but I've never been called a liar before. I'm truly upset by this and don't know how to handle it since D's thinks kids will make fun of him or the teacher will give him trouble if we talk to her or the principal. I have no choice other than to wait until next week to talk to someone if that is what we decide. We are going out of town tomorrow.

I'm sorry people are questioning the truth to the story, including myself. The lack of judgement of the teacher and the nurse is beyond anything I've ever experienced. That's not to say it didn't happen, it was just a bad idea on so many levels, that I am surprised.

If it were my child, he wouldn't have been in that teacher's class to begin with based on the homebirth video starring the teacher herself. Aside from that, I would have him out of that class so fast, it wouldn't matter what kind of trouble she would cause for him. If this happened where I live, that teacher would no doubt be fired for allowing a hazardous item in the class in the first place. The entire event is unacceptable and I would have made dozens of phone calls and/or personal appearances by now, if I were in your shoes. I know you are leaving town, but this should be a priority to address.

I went to public school, and if this happened in my class, I wouldn't have told my parents about it. We had a mindset of not rocking the boat/ not questioning our teachers. In 7th grade Science class, we spent a day looking at slides and made our own- by cutting ourselves so we'd bleed and then putting the blood on slides. No gloves. In 8th grade Science my teacher brought some kind of strong acid to show us, our new school was not build with real labs with the right sort of plumbing, so he took us outside and poured it on the concrete to show us..in a spot no one would notice. He wore protective gloves/eye wear, but none of us did, he just told us to stand back.

so yeah, I would believe the story.

Perhaps you've had bad experiences. But that shouldn't make it true for ALL ps in general. My kids go to PS, and I work there as well. Fortunately, we are blessed to be in a good district with very caring teachers and staff. My perspective is as an employee as well as a parent. Are there aspects I don't agree with? Sure. But overall, my kids are doing great and I have worked with the school to resolve the issues that led us to homeschooling for a short time. When my child's Kindergarten teacher stays until 7 or 8 pm working on plans and activities, calls and texts me on her way home or on the weekends about his progress and attends ANY student's personal social event that she is invited to....THAT is a teacher who cares greatly about her students. No school is perfect. There are some teachers and administration that make poor decisions, but I think you have gone too far with your generalizing.

As far as it relates to the OP, that situation is beyond bizarre and definitely NOT the norm in ps.

Maybe you are more fortunate in your area when it comes to public schools. The schools here are not good and I've seen the outcome of students after attending there and let's just say they are not turning out very good adults in this area.

I don't understand why a parent wouldn't be down there immediately talking to the principal. The teacher is a meanie and might take it out on my kid? All the more reason to talk to the principal. No teacher should get away with intimidation. The only people I might talk to before talking to the principal (besides my own family) would be some of the other parents. Maybe a group of them could confront this issue together.

This is one of the grossest, weirdest threads ever.

Do we call it foods class in America? I never took home econ or cooking, but I've never heard it called foods class. That seems to be a British thing. Or is it a new / regional thing?

Just wondering.

Mine was called Foods or Foods and Nutrition (mostly we just called it Foods class.) California, early 2000's.

(ETA) To those who disbelieve because of a lack of immediate action on the part of the mother:

And a lot of people on here have asked for opinions who are very anti-confrontational/conflict-phobic. It is believable to me that there are some people out there who wouldn't confront right away.

Mine was called Foods or Foods and Nutrition (mostly we just called it Foods class.) California, early 2000's.

And a lot of people on here have asked for opinions who are very anti-confrontational/conflict-phobic. It is believable to me that there are some people out there who wouldn't confront right away.

Ahem, seems to be that you are jumping to the conclusion that I was disbelieving the OP.

I was just wondering about the name of the class..........

Wow! No, not all public schools are great for all children. But many are a lot better than you seem to think. I honestly don't know of a school where children are allowed to be totally disrespectful.

So, have you actually stepped foot in a public school recently? More than one school? Talked to any teachers or others who work at schools? I just wonder where you are getting your "data" from. Please do share, because it sounds like a horrible situation!

Ahem, seems to be that you are jumping to the conclusion that I was disbelieving the OP.

I was just wondering about the name of the class..........

Nope, sorry, that wasn't directed at you or your quote. It was a general reply to some of the previous comments.

ETA: I edited my post to make that more obvious. I apologize if I offended you.

Maybe you are more fortunate in your area when it comes to public schools. The schools here are not good and I've seen the outcome of students after attending there and let's just say they are not turning out very good adults in this area.

So you admit you may be generalizing your particular observations to all public schools everywhere? It seems strange that you can't think of any kids who turned out well after attending public school. Perhaps all the kids who did well in your local schools were smart enough to leave this heckhole you seem to live in, with only nasty adults at every turn.

Do we call it foods class in America? I never took home econ or cooking, but I've never heard it called foods class. That seems to be a British thing. Or is it a new / regional thing?

Just wondering.

When I taught high school we called it "Foods". I usually had a Foods I class and an Advanced Foods class.

Which is stranger - that someone would make something up like this story or that someone would bring a placenta to show a food class? :)

That's the beauty of a thread like this. It can be whatever it wants to be. (still scratching my head & wondering how people came up with photos of plush organs...I mean I know how they did, the power of Google, but yikes, who thinks of this stuff!)

Teddy bear made of placenta:

152EB149-07D0-4D81-A543-2A75AC26E874-7978-0000091313E3EE9B.jpg

ACK!!!! I can't decide whether to laugh hysterically or vomit!!!

In seriousness, I would have been at the school the next day withdrawing my kid, even if they principal had a "good" explanation or the teacher was reprimanded. But I'm a confrontational person and have no tolerance for teachers who would do something like that.

• 1 month later...

I was almost scared to bring up this thread again but for the sake of my reputation on the board I thought that I should. I'm sad that so many people don't believe me when I have been on this board for so long. As I said in my original post we went on vacation right after this happened and then ds had spring break. We also just found out when we got back that my mom's cancer had returned for a 3rd time and it doesn't look good. This really went on the back burner.

My husband and I started talking about it again a few days ago. I had to go in to see the guidance counselor regarding another issue (another post) so I decided to talk to her about it. I realize that many think that I should have reported this right away or taken my son out. First of all, due to previous experience when my daughter was in public school for 2nd grade I am slow to trust administration. I had to speak to the principal about something at that time and the teacher ended up taking it out on my daughter. As far as homeschooling my son again (he was homeschooled through 8th grade) it just isn't possible. I have been dealing with health issues for the past few years and I'll be the first to admit I wasn't the best teacher for him last year. I'm just unable to grasp or explain more difficult math or science, etc. He doesn't do well with online programs. Besides this issue with the teacher and struggling a bit in math, he is actually thriving in the environment. He is very social and has always had a lot of friends. He wanted to go to high school with his friends. He would be very upset if we pulled him out again. My husband also insists that he goes to public school so I have no choice.

So I decided to talk to the guidance counselor about what happened after we discussed my son's math issues. I told her that I needed to keep this confidential since I don't want the teacher to take it out on my son or announce to the class that someone "told" on her. The guidance counselor was as appalled as the rest of us. She agreed with me that it is completely inappropriate on so many levels. She had never heard about it. She agreed that there was no reason for a placenta being in food's class. Even though she was shocked when I told her in a way she didn't seem completely surprised when she heard about which teacher it was. She is quirky to say the least. She decided that she would talk to the school nurse about it first to see what she thought about it since I'm sure it is against the rules in that regard. She will see how the nurse responds and will go from there. She will probably talk to administration after that. I am going to email her next week to see what happens. She was appalled at the possibility that this teacher does it every year and may continue to do so. We know that she did it last year too but I'm not sure how long it has been going on.

I cannot believe I missed this tread the first time around!.

I totally believe you. Sometimes teachers do unbelievable things. There is a court case happening here in Australia at the moment about a high school teacher that gave his class chunks of dry ice to hold, of course quite a few students got severe burns to their hands. the teacher will likely go to jail.

On a side note. when I was a child, my mother had a home birth. she thought it would be a wonderful experience for me to see it (I was about 10). afterwards Dad put the placenta in a casserole dish and told all our kids that it was for dinner :eek: . I had trouble eating casserole from that dish for the rest of my childhood, and am completely turned off home birth. hospital all the way for me I don't want to see anything at all.

As lewelma said it is common in NZ for the parents to take the placenta hone and have a burial ceremony. I chose to have mine incinerated - I would be very angry if it had been used in this manner.

Since he does not appear to be learning any cooking or nutrition maybe he should withdraw from the class. I do suspect teenagers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a human and an animal placenta or lever for that matter.

Ps. For gross one of my stepsisters did this thing where you keep the placenta and the umbilical cord attached until they fall off.

I guess I know enough hippie-homebirth moms that this is completely believable to me. I bet the nurse is the teacher's own nurse-midwife and the placenta came from a recent homebirth where the new mother chose not to save, bury, or encapsulate the placenta.

Also, depending on the size of the school and where you are located, it's also completely believable that in some areas kids are scared of certain teachers. Some still allow corporal punishment in public schools.

On a side note. when I was a child, my mother had a home birth. she thought it would be a wonderful experience for me to see it (I was about 10). afterwards Dad put the placenta in a casserole dish and told all our kids that it was for dinner :eek: . I had trouble eating casserole from that dish for the rest of my childhood, and am completely turned off home birth. hospital all the way for me I don't want to see anything at all.

OH! *vomit*

Ok, I am a 'hippie homebirth mom' and I had my placenta encapsulated with my second child. I'm also studying to be a CNM (midwife). That being said....I find this WEIRD and I'm glad you went and complained! Firstly, placenta has no place in a foods/home ec type class. I just can't think of any feasible way you could stretch that to make sense in that particular subject. Seems that the teacher just wanted to do it and didn't care that it was completely inappropriate for her subject.

Secondly, if you were going to bring a placenta in for some sort of science or health class, I would think you'd be very careful about getting releases from the students' parents, making sure the person has been thoroughly tested for transmittable diseases, and most importantly, observing proper sanitary and sterile procedure (blood dripping on people...blegh!!!). I also would think you would have thoroughly washed the thing, not brought it in as is. Just WEIRD, again.

Did I just read correctly that the same teacher showed a video of her homebirth to the class? THAT is INSANE. Seriously, lines are there for a reason. Don't care if you post your homebirth experience on the web, youtube, or whatever but showing it to your class full of students, that is messed up. They do not need to see their teacher naked, completely inappropriate. And, again, this is something that an adult should choose whether or not to watch or a parent should choose whether they think a homebirth vid is appropriate for their child to watch. What the heck?!