Menu

Is this proper for a high school food's class (in public school)

Only me

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately this is completely legit. I'm not 100% sure of the title of the guest speaker but my son thought it was a nurse. He did say it was someone from the local hospital... <snip>

If that's the case, I hope you call the hospital to let them know one of their employees borrowed a fresh placenta and took it on a field trip.

Probably right now, at this very moment, some deranged teacher is making plans to yank your gallbladder out of a bucket in front of her high school foods class.

Ummm...I suppose this may NOT be the time to confess that when Tazzie told me that it was disgusting I was getting a body part removed, I told him that at least I wasn't bringing it home and cooking it up for supper?

I will keep you posted. I find it so unbelievable too. I will definitely try to find out more information and post about it. I can't imagine how she got the placenta either. I will ask my ds more questions when he wakes up. I know that he is definitely telling the truth. He was definitely grossed out about the whole thing, which isn't easy to do. The only part of the story that he may have mixed up is where the placenta came from. I'm thinking now that maybe it could be from a homebirth or midwife. I just looked on the class page again and it said that a health care professional was coming to the class to talk about health careers. (Not sure a placenta was necessary for that and what does it have to do with a Foods class) Also after talking to my husband he thinks that perhaps it wasn't blood but formaldehyde or something similar. Either way it is very gross in my opinion.

If i thought the story was true, then I would be there to see the principal when the principal arrived at school. If I didn't receive a satisfactory answer, then I would call the health department and the school board. I would work my way up from there. The teacher would no longer be teaching kids there by the end of the week, I promise you that.

I also want it noted that I totally blamed Mrs Mungo for Mergath's Placenta Helper. Again, I take no personal responsibility.

I try to blame Mrs. Mungo for as many things as possible.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure she's responsible for the board going down tonight.

Placenta and cord keepsake print.

0BB17F0D-C3F6-46A1-8D5C-A97113942DC6-7978-000009177F584D54.jpg

I want it noted that Placenta Helper was my inspiration, so these photos are entirely Mrs Mungo's fault. I take no personal responsibility.

Oh my gracious!

Just when I thought this thread could not possibly get any more bizarre...........

If i thought the story was true, then I would be there to see the principal when the principal arrived at school. If I didn't receive a satisfactory answer, then I would call the health department and the school board. I would work my way up from there. The teacher would no longer be teaching kids there by the end of the week, I promise you that.

:iagree:

If I really thought my boy wasn't pulling my leg, I'd be down at Frankenschool first thing in the morning with questions. One little hint at a runaround or a cover-up, one small trace of blood or chunk of tissue anywhere on the premises, and I'd be calling the police and the media.

This event had witnesses, right? Any other parents saying anything on Facebook about it? Any of the kids?

This thread is poorly titled. I almost skipped it. "Is a blood spattering placenta in cooking class ok?" would get way more hits.

Can't we edit titles now?!?!

I try to blame Mrs. Mungo for as many things as possible.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure she's responsible for the board going down tonight.

Why you gotta take down the boards Mrs M???

And you can only get so many hors d'oeuvres out of one placenta, you know. We had to limit the guest list.

You're nasty.

If it was formeldehyde you would know it. I spilt some on my desk when I was a kid as a specimen was being passed around the class and the smell is unlike any other.

If this was my kid I'd be up at the school and taking him out of the class no matter what the principal said. Showing a home birth video of yourself to your class is just wrong and inappropriate. My DH is a school principal and said he would fire any teacher who did that.

The teacher is whacked and shouldn't be teaching.

As a side note: I know there are pictures of my placenta floating around the place. My DS1 was born with a true knot in his cord and the doctors had never seen a case before where the baby survived. So they took pictures to share around since it was a teaching hospital.

I did see all my placentas...they weren't anything I would want to show off LOL

I am a fan of placentas. I encapsulate them for clients. That said, it's weird to have a placenta in a public kitchen like that.

When I'm done with your placenta, it looks like this:

417772_132840440227735_731669046_n.jpg

Dare I ask what people do with it or is it obvious?

Finally a good thread! The pics are killing me (and grossing me out at the same time). Indy was born at an American hospital in Germany, but Han Solo was born at a German hospital. After the placenta was delivered, the OB looked over it and then they placed in on a tray and brought it to me to look at. I was very calm and said something like "Um, great. It looks great." Inside I was screaming "AHHHHH! TAKE IT AWAY! TAKE IT AWAY!"

Apparently many families choose to take it home with them. What do they do with it???? When they asked if we wanted to keep it I very kindly told them no. Blech.

What do they do with it????

It's all cultural. It is very common in NZ to plant a tree for your baby and bury the placenta under the tree to help it grow. We did this for my youngest. A placenta just looks like a steak. Really, no big deal. (not saying this is ok in a classroom!)

Ruth in NZ

This is so bizarre, it doesn't even sound believable (not that I don't, it is just so strange). I want to know WHERE she even got a placenta and cord to bring in. Also, are you sure she was a nurse? In all my career, I cannot imagine any nurse in their right mind would do that. If she holds a professional license, she needs to be turned in to the state board of whatever licensing she holds, as well as the public health department.

I would not be on the computer, I'd be on the phone to administration!!!

Keep us posted!

Body parts are not out there for grabs. One does not just get to "make off" with a placenta. So smells mighty rotten here.

Forget the teacher, she will defend herself and this really isn't defensible. Splattering blood on some at school is no laughing matter, splattering it in an area where food is prepared is even worse. Call the principal and if he/she isn't equally as outraged, go over his head to the superintendent and let the super's administrative assistant know that if you are hassled about getting an appointment ASAP, you'll just forget working with the school district and go directly to the local newspaper to be interviewed. Oh yeah, your local journalist is going to snarf this up and your super knows it so he/she should drop everything and meet with you now unless out of town for some event.

Seriously, heads.would.roll.

For heavens sake, I have taught high school biology before and 7th grade life sciences. I never brought bloody objects to class. For a foods class, the thought makes my head explode.

Faith

No, it doesn't look like a steak. It looks more like a liver, I think. I kept my last child's placenta, thinking I would plant it out back when the ground thawed (he was born in Dec). At the end of one weekend at the end of the winter, we came back to our (rental) home and found the fridge/freezer died. As we were pulling out bags of food to throw away we found the placenta. We couldn't figure out what it was for a while, but then it came back to me. Thank G-d we had double bagged it -- I cannot imagine having to clean up the fridge from THAT!

I will keep you posted. I find it so unbelievable too. I will definitely try to find out more information and post about it. I can't imagine how she got the placenta either. I will ask my ds more questions when he wakes up. I know that he is definitely telling the truth. He was definitely grossed out about the whole thing, which isn't easy to do. The only part of the story that he may have mixed up is where the placenta came from. I'm thinking now that maybe it could be from a homebirth or midwife. I just looked on the class page again and it said that a health care professional was coming to the class to talk about health careers. (Not sure a placenta was necessary for that and what does it have to do with a Foods class) Also after talking to my husband he thinks that perhaps it wasn't blood but formaldehyde or something similar. Either way it is very gross in my opinion.

Foremaldehyde is a known carcinogen - and the use of it for specimen preservation has been condemned many times over. Many pathologists now refuse to work with the stuff. Most medical samples for schools are preserved in ethyl alcohol though occasionally one does come across a preservative base that is laced with a tiny amount of formaldehyde....not common though. There is a lot of liability now for using formaldehyde in student labs. So, I seriously doubt it was that. It would also be a clear substance. Students wouldn't mistake formaldehyde (formalin) for blood.

That said, if it was an old specimen that had been kept in the formalin of my former school days (the 80's), I'd be furious. Absolutely, positively, furious. That stuff is not supposed to be used in school and especially without students donning gloves, lab coats or aprons (should be lab coats if they are wearning short sleeves), and surgical masks. No protective gear, no contact period.

As I said in my other post, heads would roll!

Faith

Foremaldehyde is a known carcinogen - and the use of it for specimen preservation has been condemned many times over. Many pathologists now refuse to work with the stuff. Most medical samples for schools are preserved in ethyl alcohol though occasionally one does come across a preservative base that is laced with a tiny amount of formaldehyde....not common though. There is a lot of liability now for using formaldehyde in student labs. So, I seriously doubt it was that. It would also be a clear substance. Students wouldn't mistake formaldehyde (formalin) for blood.

That said, if it was an old specimen that had been kept in the formalin of my former school days (the 80's), I'd be furious. Absolutely, positively, furious. That stuff is not supposed to be used in school and especially without students donning gloves, lab coats or aprons (should be lab coats if they are wearning short sleeves), and surgical masks. No protective gear, no contact period.

As I said in my other post, heads would roll!

Faith

Well this post doesn't make me feel good since I got the stuff on my hands while trying to wipe it off my desk so the teacher wouldn't know it spilled. I can still smell it...worst smell ever and I can't even remember what it was the teacher was showing us. I was in primary school so most likely something tame like a dead animal.

Now I'm grossed and worried lol

I am a fan of placentas. I encapsulate them for clients. That said, it's weird to have a placenta in a public kitchen like that.

When I'm done with your placenta, it looks like this:

417772_132840440227735_731669046_n.jpg

This makes me think of the jars of weird pink hot dog things in the snack aisle at WalMart.

It looks like something you could pick up at Sam's Club ... I am going to be reading ingredient labels a lot closer from here on out.

I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to buy prepackaged sausage looking things again. There'll always be a nagging whisper ... is it an encapsulated placenta? We listened to a distubing, disgusting, and very funny segment on NPR about restaurants selling "calamari" that was really sliced, fried, pig rectum.

We listened to a distubing, disgusting, and very funny segment on NPR about restaurants selling "calamari" that was really sliced, fried, pig rectum.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Now I don't know that I'll ever be able to order calamari again... :glare: :glare: :ack2:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Now I don't know that I'll ever be able to order calamari again... :glare: :glare: :ack2:

Me either, which, considering I'm supposed to be GF and it's a serious weakness, is probably a good thing...

This makes me think of the jars of weird pink hot dog things in the snack aisle at WalMart.

It looks like something you could pick up at Sam's Club ... I am going to be reading ingredient labels a lot closer from here on out.

I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to buy prepackaged sausage looking things again. There'll always be a nagging whisper ... is it an encapsulated placenta? We listened to a distubing, disgusting, and very funny segment on NPR about restaurants selling "calamari" that was really sliced, fried, pig rectum.

Oh.....this post is as gag worthy as the rest of this thread.

I may never be able to eat calamari again!

Appalling and totally inappropriate! My high school "home ec" class was called Human Relations. The course covered everything you'd encounter going from conception to death including a lot of health-related topics. (Our school had no separate health course at the time.) The teacher was pretty liberal with what we did in class but not anything like showing off real body parts.

OP I hope you get a satisfactory solution. I fear you won't since you say the teacher has done this kind of thing before and she's still there.

My midwife showed me my placenta when my last child was born. She told the other midwife attending me, "Oh, show her the pretty side! The Tree of Life!" So, the second midwife flipped it over in the pan and stretched it up. There's a pattern of...well, it's raised up, but it's not veins...on the side and it does look like a tree. A red, slimy, wet, disgusting tree.