Menu

When did your daughter start taking interest in her apperance?

caitlinsmom

My dd (10) shows interest on Sundays so I am thinking she likes a boy in her class. Other than that she couldn't care less. Today she wore a orange and blue plaid(ish) shirt with a full floral skirt, rainbow striped tights and running shoes. :) This was only in the house to play in. lol I remember being that age and being so keenly aware of fashion that I would cut or sew clothes so they matched the current trends. My driving force was to fit in. Dd hasn't even considered that she might not fit in somewhere.

So when did your dd make the shift in her appearance?

Am I the only one looking forward to this? I assume she will brush her hair without me begging or making stealth attacks. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know that my DD is concerned with her appearance yet, but she has always been very particular with her clothes. She has always had her own (I think nice) style from an early age. If she tells you she does not like something (and she will tell you this very, very politely) do not bother buying it no matter how much you personally love it because it will never be worn. She and I have a rule just for clothes shopping. We both have to like it in order for me to buy it. This means she likes or loves it. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I like it, and sometimes I "like" it. "Like" means that it is not my taste at all but that it is not inappropriate. Shockingly, the things I "like" are almost always the things that look incredible on her. She's got an eye, that one. :lol:

My dd (10) shows interest on Sundays so I am thinking she likes a boy in her class. Other than that she couldn't care less. Today she wore a orange and blue plaid(ish) shirt with a full floral skirt, rainbow striped tights and running shoes. :) This was only in the house to play in. lol I remember being that age and being so keenly aware of fashion that I would cut or sew clothes so they matched the current trends. My driving force was to fit in. Dd hasn't even considered that she might not fit in somewhere.

So when did your dd make the shift in her appearance?

I think her outfit sounds awesome! Maybe she already does care, just likes more of a quirky style?

I don't have girls (yet?) but sometimes in church they'll chat with the kids about why people dress up. Maybe that's why she seems to care more on Sunday.

Otherwise, my personal philosophy is to let them choose, with two rules:

No sweats outside the house unless it's for sports

Shirts must have buttons for more formal times (church, recitals, funerals, whatever).

But then, I really LOVE this picture of my son and I was actually bummed that he took it all off when he got one too many compliments that day:

post-70248-0-96055700-1361779651_thumb.jpg

At age 11, my youngest dd got her hair styled and a new wardrobe that was kind of girly girl. Then she let her hair grow out long and wore it in a pony tail. She started wearing jeans and layered tshirts out in public, pjs and tshirts at home. She wore light make up. Then she became a high school freshman. She got her hair styled in a medium cut, wears it down, stopped wearing makeup, and wears jeans and graphic tshirts of her favorite bands and British tv/radio shows. She hates to shop.

Dd20 was in public school until 11th grade so she was always concerned about wearing the right thing. She wore light makeup starting in middle school. She loves to shop.

On and off now, at age 9. Yesterday, she was dressed to the teeth for church, but had forgotten to brush her hair. :) I find that it is more that she gets compliments from the other girls at church that makes her notice her own appearance. She hasn't made the connection yet about alluring boys. Boys just like her a lot already, so that connection might take awhile (whew!).

My dd was 2. I will always remember how she insisted on certain clothes, nice combinations, and the perfect shoes, pretty hair, etc. Nothing was allowed to be "ugly". You had to see her cry at a bowling birthday party because the shoes were ugly and didn't match her outfit. She was 2.

BTW, she's 19 now and hasn't changed at all. LOL

Younger dd was about 9 or 10.

Here is a bit of encouragment from a mom of 4 girls. They are all so different, but it will come! DD age 5, cares what she wears - but desperately only wants to wear her one favorite pair of jeans and a black t shirt so she can match her best friend next door (a boy.) We are currently trying gently to "girlify" her a bit more :) She grumbles everytime I brush her hair. DD 9 takes great care of herself and wears only things that are flattering in fit, but will only wear colors that don't "bring attention to herself." Lots of navy, white, grey, etc., no red or bright colors. So much like my hubby! DD 11 wants to be a fashion designer and has matched her outfits since about age 2. She is currently wearing 80's lace gloves with a bright striped dress with matching shoes at the breakfast table. DD 13, now she is a different story. Her whole life she has been a fashion disaster. Knit pants that are too short, mismatched shirts, ugly slippers that she begs to wear outside. She hated to brush her hair, sighed deeply when I told her to shower, and had to have daily reminders to clean her room. (how does it get so messy in one day? - And I'm' not a perfectionist by any standard!) A few years back, i started making her change into something that matches in order to go out. I'm especialy strict when it comes to youth group. I can't help her "fit in" but I can help her not to "stick out." Suddenly, just over the past few months great change has taken place! She is brushing her hair (allmost constantly) matching her clothes, changing them when they get the slightest spill on them, showering regularly, keeping her room clean, and transforming before our eyes - all without any prodding from me! I think youth group (it's jr high and high schoolers together) has been the real motivator. Don't worry, just love them for who they are - they all develop at their own rate - but it will happen! :)

My 10yo has had a big interest in hairstyles & clothes since she was 5 or 6 - her hair, dolls' hair, anyone who will hold still. My 8yo still couldn't care less. She knows which clothes are acceptable for church, and which are only for around the house, but matching color, style, or even weather just isn't happening. She just got a short haircut because she hated tangly long hair, and it's still a battle to get her to comb it.

My DD has been interested in her hair, clothes, and shoes since she could walk. This is at least partly due to my influence. She's my only girl. Her middle name is from a doll I loved when I was a kid. I'd say that I was pretty lucky DD put up with being treated like a living doll! :D I imposed my taste on her by selecting the stores I bought her things from, but she got to pick out the clothes.

The only problem I ever had was when she was 5. I bought her a couple of dozen dresses, and that year, she refused to wear anything except pants and shorts except on special occassions. The dresses, btw, looked brand new, and I got them at a synagogue's rummage sale at the end of the sale for $1 each. When DD outgrew the dresses, I gave them to Salvation Army.

DD still dresses well, but when she turned 12, she began selecting her own clothes. If I like something, she doesn't. So I like a lot of horrible clothes that I won't let her wear, and she's none the wiser.

I think mine started at 3yo, too. It seems like she has always tried to have matching clothes and wants to decide what to wear. She was always picky about clothes and how they felt...not scratchy, no crinolin, no 3/4 sleeves, no turtlenecks, problems with sock seams, etc..

She is 10yo and it is definitely different now. Doing her hair, wanting to wear make-up (uh, no...not until your 15), deciding what to wear, etc...seem to take her longer in the morning than it takes me to get ready. Ugh! She is also an excellent shopper and knows how to find the best deals at the thriftshop or in a store.

I don't have girls, but I remember caring very much about my appearance in 5th grade. But my mom is very frumpy, and dressed me frumpily, and I had no money to remedy my situation. I was pretty miserable. This went on until my first job at 16. And now I like to dress nicely every day. No more frump!!!

All of my 'farmy' girls were about 13 when they realized they probably should start acting and dressing a bit girly!

That's my girl, "farmy". She is the type who doesn't really care as long as it would be safe for horses and dirt. Which I have to admit I am okay with since I am not dealing with tears over the right shoes, skirts etc.

I think her outfit sounds awesome! Maybe she already does care, just likes more of a quirky style?

It definately fit her quirky personality. I would love to think that it was purposeful but it wasn't. She is a pick something off the floor and sniff kind of girl. If it smells clean it's wearable. :)

I don't have girls, but I remember caring very much about my appearance in 5th grade. But my mom is very frumpy, and dressed me frumpily, and I had no money to remedy my situation. I was pretty miserable. This went on until my first job at 16. And now I like to dress nicely every day. No more frump!!!

My mom was very frumpy also. I think it was part of why I wanted to look nice also. As a mom I have more style than budget so I try to keep things very simple and classic. I try to stay far far away from frumpy though. I see my mother then.

I think this is totally a personality thing.

DD19 wore jeans and her brothers' tshirts until about 10th grade (so age 15?) when she started looking for nicer clothes when we shopped. She still tends to be mostly conservative in her dress - more dark colors than brights, no patterns, pastels are sometimes ok. She started fixing her hair up nice when she was about 9yo, just so I wouldn't pull her hair when I did it.

DD11 has only started wearing jeans of her own free will this year. Most days, she is dressed in skirts with leggings. Neon yellow, pink, and green are favs, and we go thru every Sunday to try to get her selection for church clothes to at least not clash. She can happily pair a tie-dye tshirt with a neon pink skirt and bright orange leggings. It takes multiple reminders to get the hair brushed and out of her face, but when it is done, it almost always is something fancy.

Most days, DD11 looks like an Easter Egg.

I cannot remember dd(almost6) not caring. She is particular in how she likes things to look and feel. Dd3 has a fondness for heels and has for a good while, that might very well be the influence of big sister. Both of them dress pretty casually at home but generally like to dress up when we are out.

My 3yo is the same way. Always matching and decked out to the hilt. Cracks me up. :D

Haha.. My daughter is 5 but she has been like that for a couple years. Last month we were playing at a bounce u. She was wearing cotton play clothes nothing fancy. When it was time to leave, we had to head straight to a restaurant to meet some family. She was devastated and shouted "I can't go looking like this!" she has never heard that from me. She always has to put a matching headband on with her pjs to come to breakfast. The list goes on and on.

They've never not cared, since they were old enough to give an opinion! I have some great pics of each of them around 2 with crazy combinations of clothes, hats, shoes, etc. Sylvia loves to make up different outfits for all sorts of play scenarios. Rebecca is obsessed with having her hair in a tight braid to do gymnastics. They've almost always been fascinated with my makeup.

When dd was three she quit wearing pants/shorts. It was all dresses, all the time. At 4 she got her clothes out the night before preschool. When we'd go in late to check on her and kiss her goodnight she had the clothing on display and accessorized. Imagine a dress on the floor, with the arms arranged carefully, jewelry, maybe a crown at the head or a wand by the arm, socks and shoes at the bottom...or maybe a purse added. It was quite something.

When dd was three she quit wearing pants/shorts. It was all dresses, all the time. At 4 she got her clothes out the night before preschool. When we'd go in late to check on her and kiss her goodnight she had the clothing on display and accessorized. Imagine a dress on the floor, with the arms arranged carefully, jewelry, maybe a crown at the head or a wand by the arm, socks and shoes at the bottom...or maybe a purse added. It was quite something.

Honestly, this is too cute! Stop with the stories - I need to eat dinner. LOL!