Menu

Do you ever feel rushed at the grocery checkout?

Excelsior! Academy

For us, you can swipe and put your PIN in at any time, but when the final tally is ready, you have to choose the "I agree" button for the charge to come out of your account. By the time that button comes up you can have your stuff back in your purse and all but that last loaded bag placed in your cart.

That would be really handy. However, I'm always busy putting things in bags so I don't have time to deal with the card before the end.

Laura

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a chip and Pin system: you use a PIN instead of a signature and your card has an electronic chip. You can't put in the card/PIN until the end of the transaction, because entering the PIN signifies that you agree to the charge being put on your account, the equivalent of a signature.

But even then you can still have your card out, ready to go. Even those who don't like to be rushed can take their cards out in a leisurely manner while either in line or when their purchases are being rung up. It's not like there are any surprises as to what comes next in the sequence (or to whom a cheque will be made out). :)

No, but I am one of those people who gets antsy when the person in front of me (at the check out) takes forever to put their money away and get organized -- haha! :) I always think, why don't they just move a step over to get organized, so that the next person can move up. But of course if it's an elderly or disabled person or someone with lots of young children I'm very understanding. :)

I have never thought about this. I usually bag my own groceries wherever I shop. Sometimes I use checks at the market where they only ask you to sign your name. I can get additional cash, so it saves me an ATM stop. I try not to shop when I am in a huge hurry. I don't feel rushed, and I don't feel I rush, or that others think I am slow or fast. It doesn't bother me if the old guy, or the mom juggling kids in front of me is slow-- or not. I can read the rag headlines, and maybe see a blurry photo of Kate M in a bikini, with a 'bump' that is supposed to be a baby. While any baggers are fine with the produce, it bothers me if they put something in plastic when it's clear I have my own bags. "Do you want your Murphy's Oil Soup touching your food?" I'm fine with it. Don't bag something already going into a bag.

But even then you can still have your card out, ready to go. Even those who don't like to be rushed can take their cards out in a leisurely manner while either in line or when their purchases are being rung up. It's not like there are any surprises as to what comes next in the sequence (or to whom a cheque will be made out). :)

I think that the difference is that most UK supermarkets have no baggers. There is no 'leisurely....'. Either you are working to put your items on the conveyor belt or you are working to put your groceries into bags. I habitually fill the whole belt with my weekly shop and the checkout person will have begun ringing up before I finish loading the belt. By the time I start bagging, there will already be a backlog that the checkout person will bag until I arrive. It's a much lower-staff situation than the one I experienced in US supermarkets.

Normally the checkout person will tell me the total before I have finished bagging, there will be a delay of a bag or two (s/he may help with the final bagging) and then I'll drag out my card and pay. I do sometimes put it in a pocket in advance, but I prefer to always keep it in the same place.

I don't feel hassled by this - it's normal to be busy at the checkout. But no, it's not leisurely.

Laura

I think people are too impatient for that around here. At Aldi they don't bag (and a couple of other places they don't). They put everything in an empty cart and then you wheel it over to a counter to bag it.

Yes, that's the Aldi system here, but not in other supermarkets.

Laura

I

I don't feel hassled by this - it's normal to be busy at the checkout. But no, it's not leisurely.

Laura

That's probably it for me. I don't think about it. It's got to be done, so do it. I do like to chat with folks, but I can chat and bag and or run my card at the same time. I can't think of a bad experience. (Oh no! Now I've done it! Arg! lol)

I think people are too impatient for that around here. At Aldi they don't bag (and a couple of other places they don't). They put everything in an empty cart and then you wheel it over to a counter to bag it.

At most places I wouldn't mind, but I'd hate to lose the genius packing skills of the checkers in my neighborhood grocery store. I swear they they must have been Tetris addicts growing up, and there's never a bruised banana.

I never been in an Aldi's. I was recently in Publix, and they offered to take our bags to the car. I said no, but what a nice service for an older person, or parents with little ones.

Which is why I use a big cardboard box at Aldi's. In the US, you drive to the store anyway (not like in Europe where you walk and must have bags with handles to carry them). I put the box in the empty cart. The checker checks my groceries and dumps them into the cart where they land in the box. I may choose to straighten a few items, or I let stuff fall where it lands. All I have to do is lift the box out and put it into my car. I fail to see the advantage of several small bags if I don't have to walk a distance and carry my shopping.

Which is why I use a big cardboard box at Aldi's. In the US, you drive to the store anyway (not like in Europe where you walk and must have bags with handles to carry them). I put the box in the empty cart. The checker checks my groceries and dumps them into the cart where they land in the box. I may choose to straighten a few items, or I let stuff fall where it lands. All I have to do is lift the box out and put it into my car. I fail to see the advantage of several small bags if I don't have to walk a distance and carry my shopping.

I do my main weekly shop at Aldi. If I had a box big enough to put it all in, I'd wreck my back getting it into the car. I have four or five large tough, reusable bags that I use for the supermarket.

Laura

I like it when it's a place that doesn't bag. That's true of the BJ's here. I like to sort my stuff into my own bags or boxes. Basement, freezer, kitchen etc. Makes it a lot easier to unload. I try to do that at regular markets. I tend to put items on the belt that go together; you know, all the produce, all the frozen, etc. It's why I prefer to bag my own items.

I'm probably weird, but I could bag groceries all day. I enjoy it. As a teen I worked in a grocery store and my favorite part was bagging. It's like meditation. I get lost in it.

Sounds like how I feel untangling knots.

I swipe my card as soon as I have everything up on the belt, so it is back in my wallet/purse before the checker is even done. Down to a science. BUT - then it all comes crashing to a halt as the checker and I stand and wait for some stupid machine to spit out coupon after paper coupon. AAARGH! I don't need a dozen or more coupons - mostly for brand name stuff I'd never buy but the computer is programmed to "recommend". The checker can't just move on and start the next person's order until the durn coupons stop printing.

I try and avoid getting in lines behind folks at Not-Aldi's who have brought their own fabric bags. Those things take FOREVER to bag and it slows everything down.

I like Aldi's way of scanning stuff right into a cart - that YOU then take away to the side bench to bag yourself.

Do any of you have a store where you carry the price gun with you? That might make you feel less rushed. You scan the prices and bag your items as you shop. At the end, you turn in your price-scanner thingy and pay.

We have a local chain - Stop & Shop - that does this. It seems pretty neat but I was wondering how they know people aren't putting things in their bags without scanning them?

I don't usually feel rushed but I do feel weird standing there while the cashier bags. The stores I usually shop at aren't set up so it's easy to help bag, unless you are on a special bag-your-own line, and I have reusable bags that don't fit on the platform the cashier has for bags. So they usually swipe a few things, then turn around and bag, ring up a little more, bag a little more. The location I usually go to has two bag-your-own registers and I will usually go there since I like to bag my stuff in certain groupings. But the way it is set-up, alternating customers have to stand in the main aisle to bag their stuff - they have a divider so they can have two different customers stuff being bagged at the same time since some people take a really long time to bag their stuff and this allows them to start with the next customer. I can't stand being on the side that is in the aisle, so I'll usually figure out which side I'd be on and only go there if I can stay in the check-out lane.

I went to a different location the other day that didn't have bag-your-own registers and I think the cashier deliberately bagged my stuff in the stupidest way possible (throwing cans on top of fruit among other things).

What do you mean by swipe your card before the checkout?

things must be done differently in America at the checkout. Here there is no way you can swipe your card until everything is rung up the machine just doesn't work until then.

There is a store that you have to leave the register to pay for your groceries. You get rung up and you take your basket/cart over to the baging area (there are no baggers here) and you pay at the machines next to the bagging stations.

Not where I shop. :)

What drives me nuts are the people who slowly get their card/cash/chequebook out only after everything is rung up. Slowly write the cheque, and slowly rip the cheque. And then don't move until after they slowly put everything away, chatting away to the cashier like they're old friends. Who even uses cheques anymore except for people in front of me in the grocery line? (imagine a tongue smilie here)

Yes, I give seniors an unconditional pass, so I'm not totally heartless. :)

I know what you mean. For crying out loud, the customer waits in line behind other customers, then watches the cashier ring up all her purchases, and then OMG!!! I MUST PAY FOR THIS!!! WHAT A SURPRISE!!!

::facepalm::

Be prepared if you are behind me because I will watch for my sale items and coupons to make sure they rang up correctly. I'm not slow, but I'm not in a race either. If someone has only a few things, I will let them go ahead of me. My all time favorite grocery store is H.E.B. or Crest, but I don't live anywhere near one of those. :crying:

I always feel rushed. I end up with everything shoved in my pockets and then I have trouble finding where I put my money/receipt/keys. (Well, I know where the keys are, but I have to pull out a few miles worth of receipts to get to them.)

I was at Joann's yesterday and there was a woman wrapping up at the register. She took her sweet time putting her receipt and change exactly where in her purse she wanted it. It took forever (probably all of 15 seconds). :p I was thinking, good for her, I need to take my time, too.

When I went grocery shopping with three babies, yes, I used to feel rushed. Then one day, I decided not to be rushed. It's just not worth it, to nearly drop my child to please the random person behind me in line. Why? We're all here getting groceries, not McDonald's french fries -- who says we have to rush? If you want fast food, go to Burger King.

I'm just not going to move any faster than I want to move. I'm not going to move faster than is workable for me. If you don't like it, don't get in the line behind me. ;) And if you are the cashier, I am your job security. I never use the self-check out. So, yes, I will put my change back in the zipper compartment of my wallet, ZIP IT, put my receipt in my purse, put my wallet in my purse, ZIP MY PURSE, make sure I have all my bags, make sure the potatoes are not on top of the carefully-chosen strawberries, make sure I have my Price-Plus card, make sure I have my car keys, make sure I have all my children..... :Angel_anim: :Angel_anim: :Angel_anim:

Taking that mental approach really helps. :D

Also, pretending to be oblivious to the eye-rolling is a good skill to acquire... :001_rolleyes:

I don't notice. I live inside my head so I'm usually tuned out to these things. LOL

But I will say that I avoid shopping when I'm in a hurry because I can't take the stress and don't like being rushed.

I will admit to being irritated by slow check writers though.

Yeah, especially when they pull their checkbook out after given a total, like they are surprised they are expected to pay? And why not have the check written out already, except the amount?

When I went grocery shopping with three babies, yes, I used to feel rushed. Then one day, I decided not to be rushed. It's just not worth it, to nearly drop my child to please the random person behind me in line. Why? We're all here getting groceries, not McDonald's french fries -- who says we have to rush? If you want fast food, go to Burger King.

I'm just not going to move any faster than I want to move. I'm not going to move faster than is workable for me. If you don't like it, don't get in the line behind me. ;) And if you are the cashier, I am your job security. I never use the self-check out. So, yes, I will put my change back in the zipper compartment of my wallet, ZIP IT, put my receipt in my purse, put my wallet in my purse, ZIP MY PURSE, make sure I have all my bags, make sure the potatoes are not on top of the carefully-chosen strawberries, make sure I have my Price-Plus card, make sure I have my car keys, make sure I have all my children..... :Angel_anim: :Angel_anim: :Angel_anim:

Taking that mental approach really helps. :D

Also, pretending to be oblivious to the eye-rolling is a good skill to acquire... :001_rolleyes:

OMG, you're THAT person. Do you also stroll across the street slowly and diagonally?

I KNOW you're ignoring my eye rolling! I'm on to you lady!

Another thing I hate here is that they do not count your change back to you, as I remember them doing in the states. They hand the change to you.

No one has counted change back to me in a gazillion years...give or take...I particularly hate it when they put the bills in my hand first, then put the change on top. ARGH.

Wow, how lovely for you.

Of course, the rest of us, who might actually be in a hurry for a legitimate reason should go pound sand.

Seriosuly, I admire your serenity, but being in line behind people like you does, in fact, ruin my day.

In answer to the original question: No, I do not feel rushed, because I try hard to be considerate to the people in line behind me by being prepared and efficient.

Even in stores that have baggers, I often pitch in and help in order to move the process along more quickly. I also help by putting full bags into the cart.

I have my card in my hand or pocket, ready to go. At stores in which I know pre-swiping is possible, I do that. If for some reason I'm planning to pay cash, I have that ready. And, if I happen to know I have a bunch of change and want to use some of it toward my purchase (providing exact change), I have the change compartment of my wallet unzipped and open and close at hand. Once the financial transaction is complete, I put away change or the card in the wallet I've left open and accessible for this purpose. If I have any problem putting away the change, the receipt, the card or getting the wallet back into my purse, I simply hold whatever it is in my hand until I have pushed the full cart out of the way of traffic and can safely pause long enough to finish without being in the way of other people.

I don't find any of this difficult or burdensome.

I chat with the clerk and bagger while I complete this process, but I don't dawdle. I recognize that the fact that I, personally, may have time in my schedule to turn shopping into a leisurely social occasion does not mean others can or should or must follow my example. I've been the person on the other side of this too often to be willing to dismiss another person's feelings or stresses.

Not where I shop. :)

What drives me nuts are the people who slowly get their card/cash/chequebook out only after everything is rung up. Slowly write the cheque, and slowly rip the cheque. And then don't move until after they slowly put everything away, chatting away to the cashier like they're old friends. Who even uses cheques anymore except for people in front of me in the grocery line? (imagine a tongue smilie here)

Yes, I give seniors an unconditional pass, so I'm not totally heartless. :)

This is what I was thinking! :) use your DEBT card and MOVE along!!!!

I really have learned to be more patient in my older years- but this is what I am thinking!

There are times someone will make me feel rushed, but I just ignore them. Seriously, I avoid the 10 item or less aisle because I now they're always in a hurry, but in a regular line people should just chill. As for other people taking too long, I've never found it to be that big of deal to wait a couple of minutes. If it's something that could ruin my day, I think that says more about me and my attitude than the person who was in front of me. I'm always telling my kids to show some patience and I figure I should too.

In answer to the original question: No, I do not feel rushed, because I try hard to be considerate to the people in line behind me by being prepared and efficient.

:001_wub:

I don't expect people to rush or risk dropping their children. I feel bad for those who has trouble with their Oregon Trail benefits card when the cashier calls loudly for assistance to a manager five checkouts away. I'd never think to roll my eyes at someone wrangling a toddler even a tenth as fidgety as my youngest was. However, I don't think it's much to expect people to be prepared as is reasonably possible to facilitate a speedy transaction in consideration of those in line behind them.

Maybe I'm living on another planet, but I never have trouble getting my card swiped and put away before the checker can check out and bag my groceries. Sometimes I help bag to speed things along.

I do this if there is no bagger. I also remove my hangers in clothing stores while standing in line. I am all about getting out of there with my stuff. lol Checkers love me. :D

Wow, how lovely for you.

It is lovely.

Of course, the rest of us, who might actually be in a hurry for a legitimate reason should go pound sand.

Or buy fewer items and go through the express line? Or budget adequate time for grocery shopping? Or get a life?

Seriosuly, I admire your serenity, but being in line behind people like you does, in fact, ruin my day.

I'd rather ruin your day than lose my toddler.

I don't expect people to rush or risk dropping their children. I feel bad for those who has trouble with their Oregon Trail benefits card when the cashier calls loudly for assistance to a manager five checkouts away. I'd never think to roll my eyes at someone wrangling a toddler even a tenth as fidgety as my youngest was.

:iagree:

However, I don't think it's much to expect people to be prepared as is reasonably possible to facilitate a speedy transaction in consideration of those in line behind them.

:iagree:

And besides, who wants to spend one second more at the check-out than is necessary? I want to get in and get out. This is not where I socialize, KWIM?

And besides, who wants to spend one second more at the check-out than is necessary? I want to get in and get out. This is not where I socialize, KWIM?

Hmmm. I live in a small town and know all of the checkers and most of the baggers, so we all do socialize as I'm in line. Sometimes they keep talking when I'm finished, but I don't run off on them because someone is behind me. I guess this is just something I never thought of, and especially nothing I ever thought others would get so upset over. It's been interesting reading.

Hmmm. I live in a small town and know all of the checkers and most of the baggers, so we all do socialize as I'm in line. Sometimes they keep talking when I'm finished, but I don't run off on them because someone is behind me. I guess this is just something I never thought of, and especially nothing I ever thought others would get so upset over. It's been interesting reading.

Maybe you can get away with that in a "small town." Most of us don't live in small towns, though. :-)

ETA: We had an on-line discussion once about whether it annoys us when people are waiting for our parking spaces. One friend joked about how she purposely takes longer to get herself situated in her car before she backs out of the parking space, and we gave her grief for that, lol. I pointed out that when a 1000-space parking lot is full because it's Christmas Eve, it would be really nice if she could just get in the car and leave so someone else can have the space, especially if she had been able to park close to the store. She was shocked to imagine a parking lot being full...and that would be because she lives way outside of a tiny little town in North Carolina. It had never occurred to her that a parking lot might be full, lol (or that there was even such a thing as a parking lot with spaces for 1000 cars!).

Maybe you can get away with that in a "small town." Most of us don't live in small towns, though. :-)

Well, it's also a very touristy town so the store is always hopping. I guess I've probably had some eye rolling going on behind me. ;)

Well, it's also a very touristy town so the store is always hopping. I guess I've probably had some eye rolling going on behind me. ;)

Probably. :-)

I can imagine chatting with the checker and the people in line at a store in, say, Hatteras or Ocracoke, North Carolina, but where I live, the grocery stores probably have the same population as some of those small towns, lol.

I just want to get in and get out. I don't have to rush, exactly, but I am not interesting in spending my time at the grocery store, TYVM. :-)

Such a first world problem, no? Walking into a well stocked market, having purchasing power and expecting NO inconveniences.

I love my first world problems. Imagine having to listen to someone chatting nicely with a 'stranger'? I live in a medium- sized town and see the same folks often. I like the pleasantries that take 2 extra minutes. If I am in a rush, I try not to go to the market, or I try to go to a small place, even though I understand I will pay 3xs the price.

I have had groceries delivered. That's nice, but I can't use my own bags, and when they bring you your groceries, it's like a plastic bag manufacturing plant blew up in your house.

My pet peeve is when I'm getting checked out, I haven't swiped my card yet, but have to move my cart up to receive the groceries. At that point the person behind me moves to in front of the card swiper and can't back up because of the person behind them. You have to stand your ground in the checkout ladies. :toetap05:

LOL Back it up! I gotta pay for this food, doofus.

My pet peeve is when I'm getting checked out, I haven't swiped my card yet, but have to move my cart up to receive the groceries. At that point the person behind me moves to in front of the card swiper and can't back up because of the person behind them. You have to stand your ground in the checkout ladies. :toetap05:

A man did that to me a couple of weeks ago and I just kind of gave him a look and said "Unless you'd like to pay?" He backed up very quickly! :lol:

Wow, how lovely for you.

Even in stores that have baggers, I often pitch in and help in order to move the process along more quickly. I also help by putting full bags into the cart.

I have my card in my hand or pocket, ready to go. At stores in which I know pre-swiping is possible, I do that. If for some reason I'm planning to pay cash, I have that ready. And, if I happen to know I have a bunch of change and want to use some of it toward my purchase (providing exact change), I have the change compartment of my wallet unzipped and open and close at hand. Once the financial transaction is complete, I put away change or the card in the wallet I've left open and accessible for this purpose. If I have any problem putting away the change, the receipt, the card or getting the wallet back into my purse, I simply hold whatever it is in my hand until I have pushed the full cart out of the way of traffic and can safely pause long enough to finish without being in the way of other people.

I don't find any of this difficult or burdensome.

I chat with the clerk and bagger while I complete this process, but I don't dawdle. I recognize that the fact that I, personally, may have time in my schedule to turn shopping into a leisurely social occasion does not mean others can or should or must follow my example. I've been the person on the other side of this too often to be willing to dismiss another person's feelings or stresses.

Maybe it is am American attitude thing?

My DH was flying from Aus to Canada last year. His flight was delayed by several hours in Australia ~ people were very pleasant about it. His flight in America was delayed by about 30 minutes, people were very nasty with everyone about the short delay and going on about how it was ruining their day!.

we recently had some American tourists camp at our house for 2 days ( parents of a uni friend of my son). they could not believe how pleasant people were in every single shopping line they had waited in. they noticed it so much that they commented to us on it. they told us that this is something not found in America. (at least where they were from)

Being grumpy and allowing something like that to spoil your day is something you can chose not to do. basically it is an attitude