Menu

What do you think of the name Spencer?

wendyroo

Thank you all for your replies.

I'm always gun shy about picking a name worried that everyone in the world except me knows something bad about a given name.

My husband doesn't want much of a say about naming the kids, which is both good and bad - when I asked his opinion of Spencer all he said was, "that would be fine." My mom, on the other hand, is somewhat opposed to Spencer, but she can't figure out why exactly. She is heavily lobbying for the name Logan. I've already told her that is not going to happen. For one, it is way too popular for my liking (currently ranked in the top 20 names) and also, to me, it doesn't seem to go with my other kids' names which are older, more classic names.

Thanks again,

Wendy (and Peter and Elliot and Spencer)

I've only known one Spencer. He was a freckled, spectacled, red-haired boy who had dimples that charmed the pants off of our teacher. He got away with a lot, because he was a cutie patootie and he knew it :) I liked him anyway, and I like the name. It's common enough to not be mangled, but not so common that he'll necessarily be Spencer Last.Initial.

I think it goes just fine with your other boys' names, and very well with the middle name David.

Congratulations on your little boy!

He might have to get used to "Spencer for Hire" jokes.

Otherwise, it's a cute name.

Never heard this. I think just about every name has some kind of joke/tease associated with it so meh. I think it's a really nice name, preppy and old-fashioned (but I'm biased, ds's name is Glenn and I hate the deluge of kids these days named Aydenn and Mykynleey). Something about it tickles my memory though...

My first thought is Spencer's which is a gift shop that sells mostly cheap lewd gag gifts. I'm not a fan of the name. It sounds odd to my ear.

It was this. But I don't know how common this store is.

I love it, and the three names absolutely flow and go together - one of my pet peeves! One of my friends gave her dd a cute, casual, VERY tomboyish name, and then gave her son a much more formal, old-fashioned, British-sounding name. Does not flow, lol.

Please, be brutally honest - give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

What does the name Spencer bring to mind?

I am pregnant with my third boy. My first two are Peter Thomas and Elliot Robert. For the new baby I am considering Spencer David (all middle names are after family members).

Does it flow - Peter, Elliot and Spencer?

Thanks,

Wendy

Well I am with Laura Corin. I don't like using last names for first names. I do like some of Sahamamama's name ideas.

To me, it doesn't have that connotation - while it isn't common, I've known & heard of people with it, and do think of it as a first name. And if it's good enough for Superman :laugh:

As far as jokes or odd references, there isn't a name in the world that doesn't have a joke, odd reference, or embarrassing rhyme attached to it. Kelly is smelly, and Debbie does Dallas, and so on. I think parents should try to make sure names don't jar (with last name or sibling names), see what the initials spell, and then quit worrying about it.

I prefer names that are not co-opted surnames, unless it's a family one re-used. But that's just me.

I've never even personally met a single person with the last name Spencer, while I know quite a few boys with it as a first name, so it doesn't even really hold that connotation for me.

Where I really don't like last names for first names is for girls. Most disliked: Mackenzie (although it's morphed to MaKenzee or something most of the time now). I did know a girl growing up who had that as a last name, so maybe that's why it bugs me so much?? It's become so popular, it doesn't jar like it used to, but where did that come from?? It's not particularly feminine sounding... (apologies in advance to all the moms of super-cutie Mackenzies - it's practically as popular as Emma now, so I'm obviously the one who's wrong about this... )

It's not my cup of tea. What does it bring to mind? Spencer Gifts. (As in naughty gifts.) Not sure if this is/was local or a chain, but it is not something you want associated with your kid.

However, it is not a bad name at all. I work with a couple men named Spencer and it didn't occur to me to react to their name. My dad used to work with a guy whose nickname was "Spence." It doesn't sound bad or anything. Just not my cup'o'tea.

Absolutely love the name Spencer and think it fits your other boys' names as well. I'd considered that name for my own son.

(Haven't read any other replies.)

ETA: Just saw your mom jockeying for Logan. I think of Logan as one of those boy or girl names. I think I get that from Flowers in the Attic, that trash book series from the 1970s. I'd avoid naming my son anything that could be confused as a girl's name.

Thank you all for your replies.

I'm always gun shy about picking a name worried that everyone in the world except me knows something bad about a given name.

My husband doesn't want much of a say about naming the kids, which is both good and bad - when I asked his opinion of Spencer all he said was, "that would be fine." My mom, on the other hand, is somewhat opposed to Spencer, but she can't figure out why exactly. She is heavily lobbying for the name Logan. I've already told her that is not going to happen. For one, it is way too popular for my liking (currently ranked in the top 20 names) and also, to me, it doesn't seem to go with my other kids' names which are older, more classic names.

Thanks again,

Wendy (and Peter and Elliot and Spencer)

Love Spencer. That is my great nephew's name. And my nephew's name is David. I loved the name before it was in the family and I like it more now.

FTR, I'm not a fan of Logan, but I know lots of people who love that name. I think I just don't like long O's in a name.

I've never even personally met a single person with the last name Spencer, while I know quite a few boys with it as a first name, so it doesn't even really hold that connotation for me.

Where I really don't like last names for first names is for girls. Most disliked: Mackenzie (although it's morphed to MaKenzee or something most of the time now). I did know a girl growing up who had that as a last name, so maybe that's why it bugs me so much?? It's become so popular, it doesn't jar like it used to, but where did that come from?? It's not particularly feminine sounding... (apologies in advance to all the moms of super-cutie Mackenzies - it's practically as popular as Emma now, so I'm obviously the one who's wrong about this... )

:seeya: I feel the same. I kinda liked it when my oldest was born, but I sorta detest that name now. :001_unsure: I dislike the off-shoots with attempts at creativity even more. MaKiah. Machiaela. MeKiaayelleiahhhhhh. :blush: I've known sweet girls with this name, and dear girls with this name and cute girls with this name and I'm sure I'm offending someone now, so maybe I'll just shut up...

I am pregnant with my third boy. My first two are Peter Thomas and Elliot Robert. For the new baby I am considering Spencer David (all middle names are after family members).

Thanks,

Wendy

I think of the character on Pretty Little Liars.

It's the reverse for me. There was a rather ineffectual comedy character in a long-running show when I was a child called Frank Spencer. And then there is the family of Diana, Princess of Wales.

FWIW, Wikipedia gives 34,000 people surnamed Spencer in the UK and 150,000 in the US. First name Spencers in the US are given as 46,000.

Laura

Thanks,

Wendy

It flows ok, but I'm not crazy about it. It sounds like a last name, and also sort of prissy. I think James Spader as a prep school kid in the 80's.