Menu

Totally random question for the day: Describe your favorite breakfast potatoes.

Julie in CA

Hmm..breakfast potato poll?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Breakfast potatoes--how do you like 'em?

• Cubed
    • Shredded
    • Bell peppers
    • Onions
    • Moderately seasoned (maybe a tiny bit of herbs, etc.)
    • Just a little salt & pepper
    • Super crispy
    • Not quite as crispy

If you were in a cafe having a full breakfast, how would you like the potatoes to be served?

For instance:

Cubed or shredded?

With or without bell peppers/onions?

Softer, or really crisp & crunchy?

Seasoned, or just s & p?

You don't have to answer those specific questions, I just need a good description of what your ideal breakfast potato experience would be, lol!

I know, I know, some of you will respond that you'd rather have fruit with your breakfast, or that you don't eat breakfast at all, or that you're low-carbing and a potato will never pass your lips. I know all of that, but I'm looking for the people who *love* breakfast potatoes done right, and I'm looking for their description of "right".

My homemade ones! I got the recipe from a 1944 issue of Good Housekeeping magazine (I love to collect those!). Anyway, first you bake the potatoes, then peel them and roughly chop. Coat them in a bit of flour, milk and seasoning (whatever you like, I usually just use salt and pepper). Melt butter in a frying pan, then plop in the potatoes. The outsides fry up to a nice crisp, golden brown, with a fabulous crust, but the insides are soft and tender. Delicious!

My homemade ones! I got the recipe from a 1944 issue of Good Housekeeping magazine (I love to collect those!). Anyway, first you bake the potatoes, then peel them and roughly chop. Coat them in a bit of flour, milk and seasoning (whatever you like, I usually just use salt and pepper). Melt butter in a frying pan, then plop in the potatoes. The outsides fry up to a nice crisp, golden brown, with a fabulous crust, but the insides are soft and tender. Delicious!

Sounds great. :drool5:

So you do the flour and then the milk? And then the seasoning? Or do you just put the seasoning in with the flour?

Sounds great. :drool5:

So you do the flour and then the milk? And then the seasoning? Or do you just put the seasoning in with the flour?

I put in the flour first (and I never measure, something left over from my grandmother teaching me how to cook...just a small handful), mix them together, then add a splash of milk and the seasonings. Melt a generous amount of butter in the frying pan, then spread the potatoes evenly. I let it sit until the underneath is crispy and brown, then I flip them and lightly brown the other side. Oh, and you can bake the potatoes the night before, too, so it's easy to throw together in the morning. Give them a try and let me know what you think!

I put in the flour first (and I never measure, something left over from my grandmother teaching me how to cook...just a small handful), mix them together, then add a splash of milk and the seasonings. Melt a generous amount of butter in the frying pan, then spread the potatoes evenly. I let it sit until the underneath is crispy and brown, then I flip them and lightly brown the other side. Oh, and you can bake the potatoes the night before, too, so it's easy to throw together in the morning. Give them a try and let me know what you think!

One more question.

Does the flour and the milk make them "stick together", or are they still kind of loose/individual. Weird question, huh? :D

Now I want potatoes. Can I call it a professional obligation to try this out *right now*??

One more question.

Does the flour and the milk make them "stick together", or are they still kind of loose/individual. Weird question, huh? :D

Now I want potatoes. Can I call it a professional obligation to try this out *right now*??

They do stick a bit...but in a good way. The cooking makes them separate, but you can still flip a good bit of them "as one". LOL They're easy enough to break up, but my family likes them "stuck together". And yes, please try them now!!! I love them with ketchup...but that's probably just me. You can mix some bacon bits in, too. You know, if you don't care about your arteries or anything. ;)

Sounds a lot like my potato pancakes. Yum. I use left over mashed potatoes.

I am so coming to CA if you open a cafe.

"Like" is not enough, I love this!

I may have found a place. It doesn't have any curb appeal, but I think I could dress it up, and the location is great: Across the street from the post office, police station, and city hall, on the opposite corner from library park, where the farmers market is held on Saturday mornings. Lots of parking, and the ability to expand into adjacent parts of the building if I eventually need them.

It's also a rental, so even though I'd have to spend some money to put in a kitchen space, I wouldn't need to come up with a down payment on top of that.

I still don't think I'll really do it, but I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. My best friend, who owns the restaurant that I currently provide desserts to, is super-enthusiastic and willing to help/mentor.

I guess we'll wait and see. :lurk5:

"Like" is not enough, I love this!

I may have found a place. It doesn't have any curb appeal, but I think I could dress it up, and the location is great: Across the street from the post office, police station, and city hall, on the opposite corner from library park, where the farmers market is held on Saturday mornings. Lots of parking, and the ability to expand into adjacent parts of the building if I eventually need them.

It's also a rental, so even though I'd have to spend some money to put in a kitchen space, I wouldn't need to come up with a down payment on top of that.

I still don't think I'll really do it, but I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. My best friend, who owns the restaurant that I currently provide desserts to, is super-enthusiastic and willing to help/mentor.

I guess we'll wait and see. :lurk5:

That sounds like a super location for a cafe. I assume you would do breakfast and lunch only? And fab desserts of course.

Cubed, nearly burnt, caramelized onions, peppers (red or orange; not green, as they are an insult to cooking), and enough seasoning to make most people ask whether I'd been raised in a dairy barn and bonded with the salt lick. You probably wouldn't want that as a cafe offering, though, and I'm sure I'd take seconds of whatever you made.

Must go bake some potatoes so I can try Diane's recipe tomorrow morning. I'm inordinately excited about this.

Cripsy and shredded is my favorite and the way I make them when I have time. I squeeze the water out of them first and fry them in butter and oil or in (home-rendered) lard if I have it. I like onions but my kids don't so I usually skip them. I like them with just salt and pepper but sometimes with hot sauce. And then an over-easy egg on top. Or a nice Parisienne sauce especially when my husband is free to whip up the sauce while I'm frying the potatoes.

We love poh-tay-toes!

We like lots of seasoning! S&P, of course, but sometimes mexican or fresh herbs. DH likes spicy seasoning salt on his. (Like Lawry's, but hotter and no fake or gmo ingredients. I make it.)

I usually use potatoes cooked the night before, boiled or baked. Often skin-on.

Best fried in bacon grease! Learned that from the Pioneer Woman.

Onions, always. Other stuff if we have it.

Definitely crispy!

We eat these a lot as my kids do better without wheat, but need the starch/carbs in the mornings.

We love "pioneer eggs". Cook bacon or sausage, remove from the pan. Cook onions a bit, remove. Start the potatoes. After they are almost done, add back the onions (and any other veggies I did earlier with the onions). When potatoes are crispy, add in scrambled eggs and cook over low without stirring much until eggs are set. Add shredded cheese. Sometimes, I put this into tortillas and freeze as b'fast burritos.

Yummmmmm! Really keeps you going too. :)

If it was a choice- I'd have voted "not at all"... I just don't liek potatoes at breakfast time. I barely tolerate them at dinnertime. And I only need one single waffle fry with my Chick-fil-A sandwich.

But if I were forced to eat potatoes for breakfast, they had better be medium cubes (about the size of typical game dice) and really crispy. Soggy potatoes make me gag. No spices, but if I was forced to have anything besides a thick crust of salt I'd pick onion powder for flavor, or else very tiny minced onions also nearly crunchy. Cooked in real butter- not that non=stick crud restaurants spray on pans and grills.

And don't you DARE put a bottle of ketchup on my table. :ack2:

I can potatoes so we get to eat them like this all year.

Cubed. Drained. Rolled in herbs and sea salt. Fried in a cast iron pan in a tiny bit of olive oil until the outside is golden but not brown. no drowning them in oil - grease is not a great way to start the day. :drool:

I like basic cubes fried crispy and golden-brown, but I LOVE a choice of toppings. From a restaurant point of view, it's easy stuff you have on hand (onions, bell peppers, cheese, mushrooms) and easy to theow themon the griddle, but to a customer it is awesome to have it your way.

I love latkes too; served with sour cream and applesauce.