Menu

Where is everyone selling their stuff?

I used to buy & sell almost all of my curriculum on here, and the number of listings seems drastically reduced from what it used to be.

So...... Where is everyone selling their stuff, now????

I know about homeschoolclassifieds & Vegsource, but I just felt much more comfortable selling stuff here. I hate the classifieds section here now! It seems so much more difficult and the search feature isn't as good. (IMO)

Do people buy throughout the year? I would imagine it would pick up in a few months.

There is usually quite a bit of activity in January, as some homeschoolers start their year in January.

OP, I have been wondering the same thing. I hope it picks up again in July.

Nowhere. I've noticed the same. I like the new board - not so much the new classifieds; just doesn't seem to run as smoothly for people (or there's some reason postings have reduced so drastically, lol).

ETA: I do sell on Cathswap, but that isn't much help to everyone - you can only sell Catholic or secular, with few exceptions (some protestant publishers are allowed, but not many; there is a list of materials that can't be sold on the loop).

I have a bunch of things to list here but haven't b/c it's not worth it w/o a search feature and other issues. I don't think it's slow b/c it's January. I think it's slow b/c it doesn't work. I've stuck w/ homeschoolclassifieds and am not finding what I need.

I used to sell and buy quite a bit here. However, now it's like starting all over. I had a great feedback score, but with the board switch that has disappeared. The feedback was one of the reasons that I liked buying from here so much. Honestly, I am hanging on to most of my stuff until our local homeschool sale in May. It just seems easier this year.

I used to sell and buy quite a bit here. However, now it's like starting all over. I had a great feedback score, but with the board switch that has disappeared. The feedback was one of the reasons that I liked buying from here so much. Honestly, I am hanging on to most of my stuff until our local homeschool sale in May. It just seems easier this year.

What?! I didn't know the feedback was all gone. I had a great score. :glare: I usually sell a lot of my stuff March-June on this board, but maybe I'll have to reconsider. Maybe I should sell at my state conference this year.

I just searched for some Michael Clay Thompson here yesterday and there was barely anything - now I know why. I didn't realize the search feature wasn't quite so good. Sometimes people don't want to take the time to learn a new way of doing things (myself included). Hopefully when people have more free time they will jump on here and figure it all out. I think I will still try to list my stuff here when the time comes. Such a shame that less people seem to be using it - such an easy way to sell.

I've sold two things on the classifieds since the changeover and haven't been able to leave feedback for either. :( I guess if we're not going to be able to leave/ receive feedback anyway, I would recommend the above listed Facebook group.

yea, I don't like the new classifieds board either.....I thought the old way was much better...

There are a few things I like about the new classifieds section. I like how the pictures and price show up in the thread title, and I like that you can edit or remove your OP once the item has sold. It definitely has its bugs though (search feature, feedback, etc.)

Does anyone know a good place to sell Bob Jones? I have had a friend ask me a few times as she wants to sell her old stuff, but I told her I don't know anyone who really uses it?

I noticed the drastically less listings. I was bummed out big time!

I purchased all of next years curriculum yesterday and I ended up buying a lot of NEW stuff whereas as the previous years I could've found it used on here more than likely. I did however find 3 things that I needed on the board! I am odd lady out I guess because I like the new board. It's crisp and seems easy to navigate. I love the pictures are easier to attach to a listing with the price too.

Just NEVER thought I'd pay retail for AAS! That was the BIGGEST unexpected shocker! :crying: But I did because we LOVE it!

I'm mulling over where to sell this year's stuff too...or whether I should just send it all to the Book Samaritan and not bother. That would be easiest but not as great for the budget. I miss the feedback scores too, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed it's sparse in classifieds! But when I think about it, I have been really fortunate these years having a place to sell things--able to reach a large targeted audience and not pay a commission. The WTM forum has done homeschoolers a huge favor in that regard.

I, too, have noticed that the number of items for sale, and I think posts to many of the forums in general, have decreased since the new format was put in place. I know I asked a question about an item and the seller wasn't used to the new format. Someone PM'd her and she sold the item to them. No big deal, but I think the new format is less user friendly for sure.

do you know....are "they" listening to us here?? Are they taking notes about what we like and don't like on the new boards...can they change things to better please us?

I don't want to sound mean or ungrateful, but I don't feel like I'm being listened to. I've asked multiple times about a problem I'm having (my toolbar is greyed out and I can't use smilies, bold/italic, etc) and I haven't gotten a single response.

Change is always hard to get used to, but I think things will pick up again. Despite a few bugs, I for one am very grateful for all that is done here on the boards. Let's not forget these boards are free and it takes a lot of hard work to keep them going.

I am not selling my stuff at our local sale this year because I dislike the new classifieds section. I simply just do not have the time to deal with it all right now. I may still list a few things, but not the large quantity of stuff that I have. I am disappointed that my feedback score is gone, but it is not a deal breaker for me. I will eventually build my score back up again.

I don't want to sound mean or ungrateful, but I don't feel like I'm being listened to. I've asked multiple times about a problem I'm having (my toolbar is greyed out and I can't use smilies, bold/italic, etc) and I haven't gotten a single response.

I have the EXACT smae problem, and have contacted them several times and nothing has happened for me either. It is frustrating!!!

Without feedback, who wants to buy?!

I need MFW AHL - am I really going to drop $200-$300 to someone with no traceable feedback? I need Algebra 2 from TT... Again, same problem. Without feedback I'm not going to send some random person $150. Risking $30 is one thing, but I'm not excited about the new forum. Without feedback it's utterly useless. And I'm a little irked I lost MY feedback, though it has prevented me from selling things I might find useful later, lol.

I didn't realize our feedback score was wiped out!!! That was one of the main reasons I bought & sold here. Even w/the feedback info. on hs classifieds, I haven't felt as comfortable there because I don't think people use it (feedback) as much.

I wouldn't even know how to sell on Amazon! Now, I will be stuck with all of my stuff. :(

Of late, mostly Amazon. I'm going to let Homeschool Classifieds go. I haven't sold anything there since last summer.

And I decided not to list here until it picks up.

I've also seen a rise in problems with sales from that site too. I once had a book take a very long time to get here. When I went back to homeschool classifieds to find all the info the seller had all but vanished. She had taken down all of her sale items and her info. I suppose I still had paypal, but I still found it scary.

i started giving a lot of my stuff away. with S&H, sometimes it isn't worth it for me to sell things. when i do sell, i use the selling forum here and homeschoolclassifieds.com

in the past, i've also used specific yahoo groups to sell things like HOD, CLE, etc. i also use yahoo groups to buy very specific items that can be costly, like IEW.

oh, and i have amazon prime now. so i use amazon as my main place for purchases currently (but i don't sell on amazon).

I'll say that I'm not buying as much used from anywhere because of the prices. Why should I pay almost full price for something that is used and, honestly, I'm taking a chance on being how it is advertised? I've started looking for things I will use next year. When I find something that only saves me $7 total, I'll just wait and order it new at a convention and save the shipping.

Used materials, no matter what the condition, should not be nearly full price.

I do not like the new classifieds at all. No feedback ratings, no way to really know how long a posting has been up, and the search function doesn't seem to work correctly. The old forum style was much easier to navigate and use. I find homeschool classifieds to be hit or miss. I have had luck purchasing an item there but I've also had some recent conversations that made me leery and so did not continue my inquiries.

I'm SOO glad to see this thread! I thoughgt it was just ME! I have switched to a new unit study curriculum and it requires a lot of read-alongs. I try to buy used but can't seem to find anything these days. I DO like that the classifieds "expire" so to speak. It always drove me NUTS when I would search for something FS and then realize a week later that the seller posted the ad 18 mos ago!

I buy on here and sell on here too.

In feedback. I got so upset. First Lynn messaged me every day and I apologized we had the flu but gave her a refund.

Now I have 1 bad feedback from a lying person.

I almost let it get to me and leave this forum completely. I just sold some more on here to get more feedback.

www.homeworksforbooks.com Guess what?!

I met this family ( from Kansas) at SWIHE ( a home school convention) They bought 2 boxes of my books and I was amazed at how much they paid me!

I am boxing up at least 3 more boxes this year to take and hope it will pay for my entire trip again!

So, even though I have had a few problems with some sellers on here and could have opened a case, or left negative feedback... I have never done it.

I highly recommend emailing homeworksforbooks ( Julie) to see if you can mail her any boxes of books and make sure you pack them well with bubble wrap and INSURE!!!

My username on EBAY: tgmommy

Count me in among those who are missing the old forums for buying/selling! I tend to buy things piecemeal throughout the school year as we are on a very limited budget. It certainly seems as if the listings have dropped off considerably since the switch to the new forums. I have bought through vegsource a few times before, but I always preferred buying here as there was a feedback system in place.

I am still working on bringing back the old feed back and integrating it with the new feedback.

What happens when you try to post feedback now? You should be able to post feedback ratings.

I have noticed quite a bit of people could not post feedbacks or purchases because they had just registered and not had enough posts?

What are other issues with the classifieds that I can look into. What would make it better?

John

I wish they still worked like threads. I liked being able to see buyer questions, seller responses, etc.

The old way was so much easier to see what ads were new. It takes so long now to read through all of them now.

The search feature needs to work using Boolean search commands for it to be effective.

I am still working on bringing back the old feed back and integrating it with the new feedback.

What happens when you try to post feedback now? You should be able to post feedback ratings.

I have noticed quite a bit of people could not post feedbacks or purchases because they had just registered and not had enough posts?

What are other issues with the classifieds that I can look into. What would make it better?

John

Reinstate the 50 post minimum for people to sell.

The ads need to be more visible. With the old system, they showed up when people viewed New Posts. Here, they're tucked away in a special corner that no one really visits. Heck, I forget to go there and I want to use them!

Continue to work on the search function.

I've got a ton of stuff to sell, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. On the old board, I would've made one long ad with key words in the title. I hate to make 30+ ads for the stuff, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to do that with the green price box (it either says FREE or 0.00 from what I can tell). It would be nice if there was an option that indicated it's a multi-item listing with varying prices.

Thanks!

I like the feel of the new classified, but there are some things that don't work, imo. I miss the conversation feel of the posts, like one other poster mentioned. It is easier to follow a discussion and questions if they are nested like a conversation. I like the ability to post a photo on the ad, but found the process frustrating, I could not get my photo down to the small file level...was it 50k? I have been on boards where it was very easy to upload a photo and the board seemed to downsize it or do what is needed, linky sites on blogs do this easily, why is it difficult here? I have photo shop and can re-size, in theory but find it really difficult to figure out. I'm guessing most posters hare having the same problem since I see hardly any photos on the sale title.

I do like the "manage classifieds" feature and the ability to push it. I would like to see my old posts archived, as someone mentioned so I could re-publish it or cut and paste or even to refer back to later.