Menu

Brussel sprouts

Night Elf

I melt a stick of butter and saute a few slivers of garlic in it; then I add the sprouts (I usually use frozen as well) and stir to coat them in the butter. I also sprinkle them with a bit of sea salt. Then I simmer, covered, until they're cooked through and lightly browned. They're very good this way! (They're better fresh and cut in half, but I usually have frozen on hand.) All of my children love them like that!

Brussel sprouts need to roast or pan fry to get some nice caramelization going. They can't be overcooked or they are nasty. Boiling them or steaming them results in something you might HAVE to eat but you would never WANT to eat. Prepared properly, they are one of my most favorite foods (note I said fave foods and not fave veggies- they are fabulous when cooked right.) They also work best with a bit of fat- butter, olive oil, pork fat or a fatty meat. We eat them a lot when they are in season. Halved or quartered, tossed in olive oil, a touch of salt and maybe some garlic is a good start! I also prepare a 1-pan light meal with is quartered brussel sprouts simmered in chicken broth with seasonings and then pan fried with a bit of chicken italian sausage and toasted almonds. Frozen will never be as good as fresh and be very careful not to overcook the frozen ones, it's easy to do.

Brown chopped onions in a little olive oil, add chicken broth, add thinly sliced carrots. Cover and simmer a few minutes, until lightly steamed. Add in brussel sprouts, cut in half and lightly steam. Take off heat. Add sliced olives and crumbled bacon. Mix. Serve warm. Yum!!

Never tried this with frozen brussel sprouts, but it should work as long as you don't add much liquid.

Brussel sprouts need to roast or pan fry to get some nice caramelization going. They can't be overcooked or they are nasty. Boiling them or steaming them results in something you might HAVE to eat but you would never WANT to eat. Prepared properly, they are one of my most favorite foods (note I said fave foods and not fave veggies- they are fabulous when cooked right.) They also work best with a bit of fat- butter, olive oil, pork fat or a fatty meat. We eat them a lot when they are in season. Halved or quartered, tossed in olive oil, a touch of salt and maybe some garlic is a good start! I also prepare a 1-pan light meal with is quartered brussel sprouts simmered in chicken broth with seasonings and then pan fried with a bit of chicken italian sausage and toasted almonds. Frozen will never be as good as fresh and be very careful not to overcook the frozen ones, it's easy to do.

This is how my dh makes them, too...roasted, with olive oil, salt, or cooked with bacon. YUM, we love them and eat them often during the season.

I guess I am the lone sprout lover that is ok with steaming. (I don't boil any veggie except potatoes). But I would eat sprouts just about anyway you can give the to me!

I steam them, then melt a little butter on them..................................... Yummy!

Jenn

I thought I hated Brussels sprouts until last year. We went to someone's house for supper, and she roasted them. DELICIOUS! Now I make them the same way - halve them, coat with olive oil (or basting oil with garlic), salt and roast. You'll love these vegetables with a bad rap! Our moms did them a disservice when they boiled the heck out of them. Little did we know...

Brussel sprouts need to roast or pan fry to get some nice caramelization going. They can't be overcooked or they are nasty. Boiling them or steaming them results in something you might HAVE to eat but you would never WANT to eat.

I must be a freak of nature, because I take fresh Brussel sprouts, cut a cross in the bottom of them, and steam them. Salt and pepper them and I am good to go. I love them that way!

We fry some bacon then halve the sprouts and fry them in the bacon grease til they're browned. Add about a cup of chicken broth and cook til tender. Crumble the bacon over them amd chow down. We literally fight over them. I never seem to make enough.

This is exactly how I do it! The key is to make sure they're nice and brown and caramelized. YUM.

I thought I hated Brussels sprouts until last year. We went to someone's house for supper, and she roasted them. DELICIOUS! Now I make them the same way - halve them, coat with olive oil (or basting oil with garlic), salt and roast. You'll love these vegetables with a bad rap! Our moms did them a disservice when they boiled the heck out of them. Little did we know...

This.

I was certain I hated brussels sprouts. Probably because my mom just boiled the frozen ones until they were limp, but I digress.

Anyway, we had an English-themed Christmas dinner this year, and everything I read said that brussels sprouts were an important part of such a feast. To be honest, I thought I'd make them and end up throwing them all out, but I wanted to have them for authenticity's sake. And then I discovered that when they're roasted, they're delicious!

I'm still not trying lima beans again, though. I can't imagine any way those are actually good!

We fry some bacon then halve the sprouts and fry them in the bacon grease til they're browned. Add about a cup of chicken broth and cook til tender. Crumble the bacon over them amd chow down. We literally fight over them. I never seem to make enough.

This is pretty much what we do, too. Sprouts are one of my favorite foods.

My brother says this is how they cook them. He says they are awesome.

I like Brussels sprouts but never make them myself.

This.

I was certain I hated brussels sprouts. Probably because my mom just boiled the frozen ones until they were limp, but I digress.

Anyway, we had an English-themed Christmas dinner this year, and everything I read said that brussels sprouts were an important part of such a feast. To be honest, I thought I'd make them and end up throwing them all out, but I wanted to have them for authenticity's sake. And then I discovered that when they're roasted, they're delicious!

I'm still not trying lima beans again, though. I can't imagine any way those are actually good!

My stepmother is English and we lived there many years ago. That is where my love of sprouts started.

Sunday roast leg of lamb with mint sauce (not jelly), roast potatoes and brussel sprouts and gravy! My mouth waters thinking about it!!

Jenn

My sister shreds and then sautés them in butter and olive oil. She serves them with bacon that has been fried crisp and chopped. They are universally loved even by those who don't like Brussels sprouts. (I do like Brussels sprouts but add bacon and I could love just about anything!)

Regards,

Kareni

We like them fresh or frozen, but they are so much better when you buy them fresh.

We boil the frozen ones per the package directions, then sautee in butter with breadcrumbs.

If you do not like the frozen ones, please try roasting some fresh ones before you determine you do not like brussel sprouts.

We do the bacon and sauteeing recipe mentioned above, and roasting with just olive oil and salt, either alone or mixed with other veggies (onions, sweet potatoes, squash, carrots....).

I must be a freak of nature, because I take fresh Brussel sprouts, cut a cross in the bottom of them, and steam them. Salt and pepper them and I am good to go. I love them that way!

I have never had them this way and not overcooked. I still recall with displeasure choking down the ones my MIL and my BIL cook them- steam until you get sort of a slimy mush. I always roast at about 450 degrees or pan fry/saute. Maybe I should give steaming it a try myself.

I am a boring cook.

I have only used fresh ones. I peel them, cut an X into the base and then boil them.

Just curious as to what the "x" at the base does. I have heard of other people doing this and didn't know the reasoning behind it...