Menu

If you were renting a cottage for a vacation in Scotland - please read message

Laura Corin

Facilities in a vacation cottage  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is essential in a vacation cottage?

• Dishwasher
    • Washing machine
    • Tumble dryer
    • Wood burning stove in sitting room
    • Television in sitting room
    • Television in bedrooms
    • DVD player
    • Internet access
  2. 2. What is nice to have in a vacation cottage?

• Dishwasher
    • Washing machine
    • Tumble dryer
    • Television in bedrooms
    • DVD player
    • Internet access
  3. 3. What should I not bother providing in a vacation cottage?

• Dishwasher
    • Washing machine
    • Tumble dryer
    • Television in bedrooms
    • DVD player
    • Internet access

I'm trying to work out what aspects are the most important to visitors - I'll be talking to local tourist reps as well, but I want more general opinions. This is for a pre-retirement business that we might be able to set up to take us through until Husband turns 70. It is not B&B but a cottage that you rent by the week: the guests feed themselves and only come to the owner in emergencies. Please reply to the three polls, choosing the essential features, the nice-to-have features and the don't bother features.

This would be a stone-built cottage attached to the landlord's house but with its own front door and free access to two acres of grounds. There are myriad cultural and sporting attractions nearby and the area gets a lot of tourists, as well as academic visitors out of season. If you have any other ideas of aspects that you would like to see in such a property (or horror stories about past experiences) I'm all ears.

ETA: supplementary question: if you had the choice of a) wood burning stove in sitting room and TV in a bedroom or b ) TV in sitting room and no wood-burning stove, which would you choose? I might be able to put a TV on the wall in the sitting room, but it might start to feel cluttered as it's not a big room.

Second supplementary question: for a two bedroom cottage: would you expect it to sleep 4 (one room with queen bed, one with two twins) or six (extra sofa bed in one of the bedrooms)?

Yet another follow-up question: I'm not good at chintzy/traditional furnishings, but is that what you would look for in this kind of property? My style in my own house is a mix of antiques and sleek modern pieces with Chinese hangings on the wall. Obviously I'm not going to put antiques into the holiday cottage, so would modern work or do I have to learn traditional?

Thanks

Laura

Internet access is standard when vacationing in the US. Being able to stay connected is still a priority when on vacation. Especially if you don't want your visitors running up your phone bill.

The first 5 on the list make things really comfortable. You will get those who are bold enough to ask to use your washer and dryer.

A tv in each bedroom goes above and beyond IMO. If you provide a DVD player you'll be obligated to provide DVDs. totally skip that expense.

academics are likely to want/need internet wherever we go, so it is the only "must have" if we are part of your potential client base.

laundry is a big plus for us, but we've managed without. on the other hand, if you are hoping for longer rentals (1 week, 1 month), then it moves to the necessity column i think. i love to have a microwave oven as well.

one tv is enough, so maybe put it wherever is easiest? we travel with laptops, and so use it for our movie fix while we are travelling. ie. we don't need a television if we have internet access. i know that is not typical for most american travellers.

not cluttered is good, so maybe the tv can go in the bedroom. is there only one bedroom? if so, then that would work well.

the cottage sounds quaint, so a wood-burning stove would add to the appeal. is there already an electric fire there?

hth,

ann

eta: having the sofa bed would increase the number of potential renters, so i think that is a good investment as long as it is clear that the additional two people aren't getting a real bed. our kids have loved rentals that had bunk beds, fwiw.

How many bedrooms? Would you expect families with children? What about putting up a small play structure?

Two bedrooms. Yes, I'd expect some families with children, although a lot of visitors will be golfing parties. A play structure is a thought: I'd have to look into what insurance covers.

Laura

We actually stayed in a couple such places in Scotland on a trip we took earlier this year. I chose our lodgings mostly based on 1) location; 2) aesthetics of the property, inside and out, and 2) whether I was going to be able to do laundry. :)

The most important things to me were laundry facilities and Internet access. Nearly every place we stayed had wireless Internet access. If you provide this, there is little reason to bother with a TV. Most people travel with a laptop or iPad now, and would be able to access shows and movies that way.

Being able to do laundry was a huge determining factor as well. We brought a lot of wool and hang-dry clothing so a dryer wasn't as necessary,

A wood burning stove isn't necessary but is one of those things that can add a lot of charm and comfort, especially during the cold months. When we had one available, we used and enjoyed it.

None of the places we stayed had a dishwasher. We usually only ate breakfast and maybe an occasional other meal in our lodgings because we love to sample the local restaurants, so the dishes were easy to keep up with.

not cluttered is good, so maybe the tv can go in the bedroom. is there only one bedroom? if so, then that would work well.

the cottage sounds quaint, so a wood-burning stove would add to the appeal. is there already an electric fire there?

hth,

ann

There are two bedrooms, so the TV-in-bedroom option is slightly tricky, unless both rooms have TVs. There is central heating (radiators) throughout, but a wood stove adds extra glow as the cottage is not brilliantly warm - it's as well insulated as we can make it, but there's a limit to what you can do with stone walls. We have woodland on the property, so can provide free or discounted wood for burning.

Thanks

Laura

We have done a couple VRBO (vacation rental by owner) here and I voted for only one tv, not in a bedroom. We don't go on vacation to watch tv or have our kids stare at it. I'd prefer a woodburning stove, since we don't have one and it would be cool, over a tv. any day. Internet access a must. And - I'd have that sofa bed and advertise that the place sleeps four comfortably - sleep six with sofa bed. And let folks know the sofa bed is in a bedroom, not in the main room (unless it fits there. Folks assume sofa beds are in the main room.

If there is no washing machine/dryer - may the guests use your machines? Or is there a laundromat close by?

My answers come from the perspective of an American who would LOVE to rent your cottage since we hope to be in Great Britain six years from now in honor of the homeschooling chapter of our lives coming to an end, the last one leaving for college, and maybe being able to focus on some traveling together. Dh and I want to see some areas of Scotland in particular.

Therefore, we aren't really in need of TV and DVD player since we will be out exploring most of the time.

However, we'd need internet because dh is NEVER allowed to be completely 100% unaccessible for work should there be a complication. (He works for a huge firm as an Oracle Database DBA and sort of a guru consultant for development projects that find themselves having sudden difficulties.)

I have gluten issues, so being able to fix food and pack it is very important. Therefore, I would use a lot of dishes, pots, and pans during my time there and while handwashing isn't a big deal, a dishwasher would be very nice since we'd want to hit the road each day and get out and see what we can see. It would be a nice time saver, though certainly not a deal breaker.

Washing machine and dryer would be a biggie. Dh and I plan to do our traveling lightly in terms of luggage. With so many airlines a. charging exhorbitant amounts for checked baggage and b. losing lots of luggage, we'd like to travel with only the largest carry ons allowed. That means taking minimal clothing and washing it a lot. When we go to Iceland in June 2014, we are renting the K apartment in Reykjavik so we can cook. We can either pay for washing and drying in the laundry facility, or hand wash and hang to dry. Since European hotel rooms tend to be much smaller than US rooms, hanging up the washing in a hotel room would make me a little nuts. The apartment is right around 700 square feet so having wet clothes hanging about is much more doable.

I suppose my requirements if I already lived in the UK and was just getting away for a few days from my home, might be very different.

Faith

My family really enjoys watching TV in the evenings together when on a cottage vacation so we would pick the telly with Dvd. But in your part of the world a nice fire is a huge selling point IMO. Also as long as I knew there was no telly I would bring a laptop and use the internet(if provided) for telly.

Also we have friends who rent cottages all the time. Their biggest complaints are uncomfortable furniture in the sitting room and problems communicating with the outside world when needed. I would provide internet and keep people with back problems in mind. Everything else is optional.

I'm allergic to wood smoke, so I voted against that. Also, I think a queen, two twins and a pull-out is nice. When we rent, I typically need a place for 5 people which excludes a lot of properties (except in the mountains here). I agree with the others that internet access, preferably wireless, is essential.

I like to travel light, so I'd choose a place with a washer and dryer. When we went to California last summer, I washed 14 loads of laundry. We were doing dirty things and 3 or 4 of the loads were beach towels, but I was still able to pack very lightly only because of the washer and dryer. I would put our family in two bedrooms if it was okay with the contract, so I'd appreciate being able to sleep 6 - either a sleeper sofa or folding cots. I also chose internet access. I'd like being able to look things up online easily while there. Everything else is just gravy.

With regard to your question about the wood burning stove vs TV in the sitting room, since this is Scotland, my preference would be to have it in the sitting room and put TVs in the bedrooms (where people could watch TV under blankets in bed). However, you might want to consider that many people have no idea how to operate a wood burning stove properly. Perhaps a gas version with fake wood (not my favorite thing) would make more sense for a guest cottage?

I have gluten issues, so being able to fix food and pack it is very important.

I just wanted to let you know that Scotland is the most gluten- free friendly country I have ever visited! Many places have special menus, or at least GF options, and the chefs seemed well-versed in catering to GF customers. I even found a place that serves GF fish and chips, which was quite a treat!!

When we travel as a family, we prefer to rent cottages/cabins/condos. A washing machine, dryer, and internet access are ABSOLUTE musts. Anything else is an extra.

I do prefer a decently-stocked kitchen with a variety of pans (sauce, skillet, larger pot at minimum) along with a baking dish and cookie sheet/jelly roll pan (don't know what term you'd use!), some sharp knives and a cutting board, and a decent sized bowl that can be used for mixing as well as measuring cups/spoons etc.

How many bedrooms? Would you expect families with children? What about putting up a small play structure?

I was going to suggest this as well. If you don't want a swingset, perhaps you could at least have a sand box with a pail and shovel. Something for teens to do as well, like board games or tabletop ping pong or a small foozball stored under a bed would also be good. If all else fails, carroms is fairly compact. A dictionary and a copy of Hoyles would be nice. So would a few other books and a small box of legos. Maybe you could have a take-one, leave-one shelf or something.

I think there is nothing wrong with having no tv. A vacation is supposed to be a get-away. The vacation cottages we have rented haven't had them. A fire is something we do want on vacation. Internet access would allow my husband to come with us; he could check in with work. It would also solve the no-tv no-dvd problem. Families with small children would probably be grateful for a washer and possibly a drier. If there is a laundromat within easy reach, then I don't think that would matter. A drying rack is essential, though, or some sort of line in the house. One of the main problems with hotel living is that it lacks this. Our bathroom is always a mess of drying mittens or bathing suits or raincoats. Chairs and a table or a picnic bench outside would also be nice.

Nan

With regard to your question about the wood burning stove vs TV in the sitting room, since this is Scotland, my preference would be to have it in the sitting room and put TVs in the bedrooms (where people could watch TV under blankets in bed). However, you might want to consider that many people have no idea how to operate a wood burning stove properly. Perhaps a gas version with fake wood (not my favorite thing) would make more sense for a guest cottage?

That's a thought - I have been to cottages with wood burning stoves in Scotland (and in N. California too) but you are right that not everyone knows how to use one. Gas isn't an option - it would be complicated to get gas to that part of the property and we would want to avoid the extra expense.

Laura

See, I must be backwards.

When go on vacation, I plan on not doing laundry. If I can? Bonus.

When I go on vacation, it is internet free. We have a data plan, and, if I absolutely needed, I'd visit a local hotspot.

When I go on vacation, I do NOT want TVs in every bedroom.

I wouldn't need a dishwasher, either, as I'd be having many lunches/dinners out.

And though we'd love the wood stove, I agree, having an optional gas unit there would be good for those who didn't know how to operate a wood burning one (??? do people not know how to make a fire in a wood burner? Really?)

You could get one of those electric fireplaces. They don't look any more cheesy than the fake log gas ones, in my opinion.

I would do the fireplace in the sitting room and a small flat-panel in each bedroom. Or, a lot of those electric fireplaces are also media consoles. You could possibly do both that way, even in a small room.

And then you'll need me to, uh, come test everything out for you. ;)

We rent vacation cottages frequently.

Having plenty of beds is key. Six can be a nice, happy medium as it is enough for a big family but not so much that it encourages huge, loud, drunken parties.

If the home is charming and there is access to food and fun, I don't really care about amenities like washer/dryer, etc. However, I do LIKE having those appliances.

I tend to prefer a vacation cottage not have internet. It's nice to take a break, and I can usually find any information I need at the local visitor's center.

In a damp climate such as Scotland's, good heating is essential. I can live without many things, but I cannot be comfortable if I am not warm.

We'd choose a wood burning stove over TV and probably wouldn't watch much if it was there.

Having the sofa bed in the bedroom would be great for families - so that the adults can still use the living area after bed-time.

If we were staying longer than a few days, we'd want internet access and a washer and dryer. I'd look for a stove, but no oven. A microwave oven would be handy. I'd want the kitchen to have all the basic appliances and cooking utensils.

I'd not skip over a cottage just because it does not have a dishwasher or tv. I'd not be looking for a dvd player at all (we'd have the laptop there if the kids wanted to watch anything).

When starting to think about this. I thought of some nice little things to add for rainy days on a shelf somewhere.

Some board games.

These can just be some used ones collected from various places, or you can also just put in the traditional such as a Chess, Checkers, with a traditional deck of cards.

Some books.

3 Romance novels (I'm thinking of a series by Nora Roberts that takes place in Scotland)

3 picture books with a Scottish setting

3 non-fiction books about Scotland (http://www.amazon.co...he modern world).

3 Young Adult or Teen books? ...

When I was a kid, 1 to twice a year we would do a 24 hour long car trip. As in 24 hours in the car spread out over 2 or 3 days.

One place we always stopped was, "The Black(Something)? Inn". It was your basic hotel in the woods kind of spot. But I remember it because they had a book shelf and a games shelf. It was fun to explore the shelves looking for something special.

I found those shelves gave the place such a nice homey feel.

When dh and I vacation we like to leave the internet at home. No tv, no internet, it's all good. However, as American tourists, I can say that the addition of a washer and dryer (or rack) would sell us over other amenities. We tend to travel light and if we know we can run a quick load it's all the better. I'd *love* a wood burning stove. Dishwasher not necessary. A 2 bdrm should sleep 4-6 (4 normal sized with the addition of 1-2 ankle biters). Add books, a few games, and a local map or book of the town and call it good.

Now to finish packing for my 4 days in a cabin in Germany. :) Tomorrow I'll be immersed in a good novel with a cup of hot cocoa next to me and watch the kids play board games.

Just knowing there is someone thoughtful renting a place (and not a Craig's List scam via E Europe lol) is enough for me. book me for the first two weeks of September 1214.

Thanks. Do you take VISA?

;)

PS TV doesn't matter, wood burning stove doesn't matter (allergies), but enough beds for a family of 5 or 6. People can share, and a sofa is fine.

Washing machine is nice, but a dishwasher doesn't matter.

Internet access, yes.

When we have visited Scotland (generally in summer or early autumn) we appreciated having blackout curtains so we could sleep past 4:30 am ;)

You might have a look around VRBO to see what amenities are common. We have rented from VRBO for over 10 years, both stateside and in Europe, and have never been disappointed.

When we have visited Scotland (generally in summer or early autumn) we appreciated having blackout curtains so we could sleep past 4:30 am ;)

You might have a look around VRBO to see what amenities are common. We have rented from VRBO for over 10 years, both stateside and in Europe, and have never been disappointed.

I understand the curtain problem. Both bedrooms already have blackouts.

I have looked around, and I also know what I look for (I obsessively demand both dishwashers and tumble driers in order that I can have a holiday too, but I don't care about TVs or the internet) but I want to spread my feelers as widely as I can. As we are a dual nationality (UK/US) household that also speaks a couple of other languages (Chinese and French) I think it makes sense to think about the international market.

Laura

Consider too, that some folks would rather pay less as they don't need/want certain extras, like TV in every room, or a dishwasher etc. I certainly would be greatly motivated by a lower rental cost than more TVs etc. I would want some sort of internet access, as it would be one way to research an area, get tickets to events etc. But even then, as long as I knew there was an internet cafe within easy walking distance, even that could go.

Consider too, that some folks would rather pay less as they don't need/want certain extras, like TV in every room, or a dishwasher etc. I certainly would be greatly motivated by a lower rental cost than more TVs etc. I would want some sort of internet access, as it would be one way to research an area, get tickets to events etc. But even then, as long as I knew there was an internet cafe within easy walking distance, even that could go.

That's a good point - we need to decide what market we want to aim for.

As for the internet cafe in walking distance: you'd need good boots and a couple of hours to get to the nearest one.

Laura

That's a good point - we need to decide what market we want to aim for.

As for the internet cafe in walking distance: you'd need good boots and a couple of hours to get to the nearest one.

Laura

LOL That I would probably not want, although we do have an Aircard, and I am guessing many international business folks do as well.

One TV is nice, more than that is probably not necessary, especially for people who are mostly interested in the cultural aspects of an area.

All of the rentals we've had include some books, maps, menus, Scrabble, etc. You've traveled enough to know all of that.

I vote no on the woodstove (can be complicated and many people are allergic), and dishwasher. Yes on internet and one TV in the main room (I do enjoy the various European channels), good heat, and cooling (if necessary), an awesome master bedroom mattress, good pillows. Washer & dryer (you can even ask folks to throw some linens in the wash when they leave). I would not bother with a play structure (potential injuries), or sand (how to keep animals out?).

Sounds like you could be booked solid with the WTM market! We would like to come as well!

Sounds good - now I just have to put all this evidence in front of Husband. Did I mention that I haven't finalised all this with him yet? We have talked about it generally in the past.....

Laura

If my family were coming for a week, we would want a washer and dryer so we could do our laundry, a wood burning stove (perhaps give new guests a lesson when they come?), Internet access, and a tv in one of the bedrooms so we could send the little ones in there to watch while the older ones hung out in the sitting room. Sleeping six would be wonderful.

We just did a week in a mountain cabin without internet -- it was a long week, and some things fell through the cracks because I had no way of dealing with them ... so while I like to avoid it on vacation, having it available is a big plus.

A washer, dryer, and dishwasher are really nice, but not dealbreakers, though a drying rack in the bathroom or kitchen for hand laundry would be a nice amenity if a washer (or dryer) weren't included.

I'd probably pick the fireplace/stove over the TV ... we used it much more than TV on our last vacation -- the bedroom TVs didn't go on at all, and the sitting room rarely. We're a family of 6, so the pullout couch would make the difference between us considering the property or not, as that's a major search criterion... when given a choice, we prefer to have the singles and pullout separate from the queen, but that isn't necessary, just a preference.

DVD would not be important unless there were a rental place nearby, as North American region DVDs probably wouldn't play anyway.

I understand the curtain problem. Both bedrooms already have blackouts.

I have looked around, and I also know what I look for (I obsessively demand both dishwashers and tumble driers in order that I can have a holiday too, but I don't care about TVs or the internet) but I want to spread my feelers as widely as I can. As we are a dual nationality (UK/US) household that also speaks a couple of other languages (Chinese and French) I think it makes sense to think about the international market.

Laura

Those are the things we want as well. :) Also brochures and maps of the local surroundings are helpful.

And be sure to mention all your languages in your listing!

We are planning a trip to Scotland in July. Will you be ready by then?

For us, the extra bed is a must, as is an internet connection and some form of heat. Local maps and guidance really help, too. Access to a washer and dryer is also a priority.

2 bedrooms should have the possibility for six people, I think.

ETA: While I didn't vote for the wood burning stove as an essential, of the optionals you named (TV and DVD player) the wood burning stove is definitely my favorite. Put me among those who think if you have an internet connection, you could skip the tv altogether and go for the woodburning stove. On the other hand, it's sometimes fun to watch tv in a different country. :)

I wonder if Europeans view some items differently than we do. It may also be a generational thing.

I like a dishwasher in my vacation home because I don't want to spend time washing dishes by hand but my mother would not care.

I also think a wood stove / fireplace is essential in a cottage for that cozy feeling, however, for those with allergies or who don't want to bother with lighting fires, do you have central heat as well?

Sounds like a neat place. Wish I could come and stay a month in a cottage in Scotland. :)

And though we'd love the wood stove, I agree, having an optional gas unit there would be good for those who didn't know how to operate a wood burning one (??? do people not know how to make a fire in a wood burner? Really?)

You'd be surprised how many people have never lit a fire in a wood stove or fireplace. :)

I wonder if Europeans view some items differently than we do. It may also be a generational thing.

I like a dishwasher in my vacation home because I don't want to spend time washing dishes by hand but my mother would not care.

I also think a wood stove / fireplace is essential in a cottage for that cozy feeling, however, for those with allergies or who don't want to bother with lighting fires, do you have central heat as well?

Sounds like a neat place. Wish I could come and stay a month in a cottage in Scotland. :)

Good point.

We put all homes with a king size bed at the top of our list. I know it is not common outside of the USA, but it makes a huge difference to me. I won't look at homes without a king bed if there is anything else available that looks halfway decent. We aren't large people, but we like our space and sleeping on smaller beds makes me grouchy. I'd rather have 2 twins and the ability to push them into a king over one queen and one full. Also, 2 twins gives flexibility for children or unmarried adults. We have 4 children, so a sofa bed would be necessary. I'd also appreciate a travel crib or something similar being available. It is a pain to cart those around. We would definitely want a washer and dryer and would not rent a home without one unless it was our only option. A dishwasher, tvs, and dvds, are not important to us but nice to have. Internet could go either way. I'd prefer to have it, and if it is attached to your home and you have wireless, then it shouldn't cost you anything. It would be easy to set up a separate guest log in so your computers and files are safe. On the other hand, we can usually use our phones if we need to and could deal with it. We would prioritize homes with wireless access over those without.

I would want a wood burning stove if I would be cold if I didn't have it. I would prefer to not have or need it, however. I grew up with a home with a wood furnace and it has no charm for me. I dislike the work involved to get it going and the smell. I always get headaches and they bother my allergies.

I personally like a small TV & Dvd player in the lounge (or tv with built in dvd player if space is an issue). Internet access would be good too (do you have a phone signal?) The ability to sleep six maybe with a sofa bed in the lounge would be handy but 1 double room and 1 room with 2 single beds would be fine if it's a small house. I presonally don't particularly care one way or another about a dishwasher. It takes as long to faff about with dishwashers as it does to just wash up. Wood burner would be nice but not essential. Washing machine and tumble drier would be a huge positive or maybe a combined washer dryer.

I don't think TVs in bedrooms are necessary.

Yes, we have radiators fired by a central boiler in every room. The bathrooms also have electric heaters in case an extra boost is needed.

Laura

I'd want to the space to be warm in chilly or cold weather, and I would want a washer and dryer. I do not want to clean out a wood stove every day while on vacation (I do it at home), so I'd want the rental to include that. The wood stove itself would not be something I'd be thrilled to have. One TV would be nice, so we could see what TV is like in Scotland. Dishwasher, internet access, and DVD player are not necessary.

We would bring our books on our Kindles, so they are not necessary, although we'd like that. I'd provide picture books for younger kids, and a sightseeing book for everyone else. I would like there to be some games and puzzles that would interest adults, and some for children.

I'd also stock the place with umbrellas, and I'd do an umbrella inventory check before the visitors left.

I have a family of six, so I would only rent a place that provided beds (or sofa beds) for six people.

I'd want to the space to be warm in chilly or cold weather, and I would want a washer and dryer. I do not want to clean out a wood stove every day while on vacation (I do it at home), so I'd want the rental to include that.

I've not seen a vacation rental here that includes this kind of daily service. The norm would be that you either managed the stove yourself (with advice if necessary) or avoided using it. It would only be supplemental heating in any case. I think we must be talking about different styles of stove, however - I clean out my wood stove once a week, if that.

Laura

I can speak to this issue as someone who travels a lot, and also owns a vacation rental.

When we traveled in Europe, we did our laundry every few days at local laundromats. It was a great cultural experience. (we still laugh about the conversation my hubby had with someone at a laundromat in Scotland - the guy was speaking English but his accent was so strong that dh couldn't understand a word, so he just smiled & nodded). I wouldn't expect a washer/dryer or dishwasher in a Scottish cottage. Or TV or internet, for that matter! This is as long as there is a nearby place where your guests can do their laundry and check their email. We did like watching British TV, but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker.

I see my responses are the opposite of some other posters. :)

Our vacation rental has a dishwasher, but the washer & dryer are in a locked storage room that the renters can't access. They can do coin-laundry a mile away. We have a TV with DVD but no reception. Also no internet. It would cost me at least $100/month to add satellite TV and internet, and I don't think I could correspondingly raise the rent. Again, renters can access internet about a mile away. I figure they don't come to our cabin for internet surfing, channel surfing, and laundry opportunities.

One thing you might want to do is check around with other area rentals. For example, if EVERYONE is offering internet, then you really have to offer it.

I'd offer a sofa bed to sleep 6 so it can accommodate families with 3 or 4 kids.

Dh and I need internet to stay in touch with our business responsibilities. So wireless internet is essential for us.

I'd love the fireplace. Sounds cozy!

Laundry facilities would be nice, especially since the weather can be a wee bit damp in Scotland.

Dishwasher-not necessary. We can eat out and hand wash the few items we use.

TVs--I prefer not to have them on vacation, but I'm not normal. I think one in the sitting room is good.

Chess boards, game boards, cards, etc. would be good to have. Staples--salt, pepper, flour, sugar, etc. help.

Excellent linens would be a nice luxury. We stayed in one cold cottage in Denmark that had THE warmest, fluffiest duvets known to mankind. Mmmmmmmm....

Let us know when you are up and running!

ETA....I'd prefer a more traditional decor, but not too grannie cute, if you know what I mean. The English cottage in 'The Holiday' is a dream. We rarely stayed in anything remotely that 'done.' but it's a nice dream to dream on.