Menu

If you were renting a cottage for a vacation in Scotland - please read message

Laura Corin

Facilities in a vacation cottage  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What is essential in a vacation cottage?

• Dishwasher
    • Washing machine
    • Tumble dryer
    • Wood burning stove in sitting room
    • Television in sitting room
    • Television in bedrooms
    • DVD player
    • Internet access
  2. 2. What is nice to have in a vacation cottage?

• Dishwasher
    • Washing machine
    • Tumble dryer
    • Television in bedrooms
    • DVD player
    • Internet access
  3. 3. What should I not bother providing in a vacation cottage?

• Dishwasher
    • Washing machine
    • Tumble dryer
    • Television in bedrooms
    • DVD player
    • Internet access

First, disregard my vote that a DVD player is a "don't bother." It wouldn't let me leave that poll blank. I don't think it's a necessity, but certainly nice to have.

On the tv issue: I think having one somewhere is a necessity, but if the cottage had a wood burning stove in the sitting room, I'd rather the tvs be in the bedrooms, each with a dvd player.

On the decor: Yes, I would expect traditional. I think I'd be a bit disappointed if it weren't. Obviously, it doesn't need to have antiques, but it should have the look. I don't think it needs to be cluttered with a bunch of kitsch, though, as some places tend to do. I would keep it uncluttered because vacationing people make enough of their own clutter. I would keep embellishments to the walls with just a few textiles here and there for warmth and the traditional feel. Oh, and I wouldn't go overboard on the plaid. I stayed at a place in Inverness that was plaid all over the bed, the walls, everywhere. It was so overwrought. They catered to a certain nationality of tourists, though, that seems to think all Scots are swaddled in kilts and plaids all the time. If that is your target market, that's fine, but oh my! It's a bit much for most folks, I think.

Well the cottage your describing is the type of place that we usually go on holiday - sounds nice!

I'm definitely in the minority, in that I don't think internet is necessary (if we *need* to look at something, we use DH's phone - assuming you've got some signal there, otherwise it's more important), but dishwasher is very desirable, as we do self-catering as self-catering, and it's nice not to have to do the washing up when you're on holiday. Otherwise, laundry is occasionally handy with children, but everything else I can take or leave, and it doesn't bother me much.

I terms of decor, I just think that you need to be consistent about whatever you do (although obviously something like Scandinavian minimalist isn't a good style for a stone cottage!).

We travel a lot, here is what we expect:

Internet access (many people's jobs require this, dh's does)

TV in the sitting room, if it could connect to a computer or iPad (for Netflix access), that would be a bonus

Nice to have:

Dishwasher

Washer and dryer (especially if people stay more than a week)

Stove in the sitting room

Don't bother:

DVD player, especially if you frequently have visitors from out of the country, it wouldn't be the right region for DVDs from other countries.

I agree with a fold-out bed to accommodate families with more than two kids. BUT, if you would rather cater to couples or smaller families, then it might be wise not to do that.

I think modern furniture would be fine, but traditional furniture might be more appealing.

We rent houses/apartments in Europe almost yearly, and here is what we look for:

Close to things to do (walking distance to town is nice in France, less important in other countries).

Internet is a must, as dh works while we're vacationing and we are usually gone a month so I need to pay bills.

We need washer/dryers because of the duration of time (month) we're away from home - if I was only going for a week I wouldn't need it.

No TV needed, no DVD player, either (especially those that don't play all zones). If we want to watch a DVD we play it on my laptop (we usually bring several movies with us). But most of the time we don't watch anything.

In most places I would say the wood-burning stove is not necessary, however, having been in Scotland in June and sitting by the fire all day long while it rained.....I'd say yes, that would come in darn handy. :D

A two bedroom should sleep 6, so a sofa bed would be great for those who need it.

I prefer not to watch TV at all on vacation, but I don't think I'm typical.

I like the wood-burning stove idea; I wonder if gas would be a better option for a vacation home so folks not used to wood wouldn't have to figure out how to use it.

A dishwasher is nice, but as a vacation is a slower pace, not strictly necessary for me.

Internet helps folks look up info about activities, transport, etc., as well as providing entertainment - a guest's laptop can more-or-less be a TV nowadays, and many play DVD's, so your TV and DVD player aren't as necessary.

I do like laundry facilities, even if small, because nowadays one-bag travel is the thing to do, with bag fees and having to lug your bags on public transport, it's just easier if you can wash during your stay without it being a huge production or expense. This is even more true if you are travelling with kids. From your perspective, it will be handy to be able to wash the sheets and towels and kitchen linens in an in-house washer/dryer between guests rather than hauling them somewhere; ditto for the dishwasher as there is bound to be something or other that needs a better scrub.

Sleeping 6, if you can manage it, would be better as it widens the potential customer base. The sofa bed also gives the 2nd bedroom guests the option of twin vs. queen, so you can rent to two couples (as well as a group of 2 parents and 1-4 kids). I prefer wood or laminate floors and throw rugs as they feel (and *are*) cleaner than carpets.

As to furnishings, I much prefer a nice but sparsely-decorated vacation space. I don't want visual clutter, and I need space for my own things - my books on the bedside table, my toiletries in the bathroom, my laptop on the coffee table. I hate it when I have to clear out all the "decorative items" to make space. Nice paintings or other wall art, thoughtful choice of flooring and fixtures - these things can add style without being clutter. I've seen groupings of framed vintage postcards, maps of the area, etc. used effectively as decoration in vacation spaces - they give you a feel for the place and yet are inexpensive.

I don't mind the specific decor, but I do like a clean, light-filled space. I like Euro-modern, but if you're going for "Scottish cottage" that might have its own expected aesthetic; I don't know.

One more thing - I really helps if switches are labeled as to what they switch on and off ("porch light", "fridge - don't turn off!", etc.), if basic instructions for appliances are provided in a binder, if info about restaurants and attractions nearby is in the binder, if basic expectations/checklist about what to clean before leaving are provided, etc.

I assume you've already done so, but I would take a look at airbnb.com properties, and think as if you were a buyer - what would you want to see? Read the comments - what are customers expecting; what are they annoyed they don't have?

I think modern furniture would be fine, but traditional furniture might be more appealing.

Part of the problem is that we already have a lot of fairly modern furniture, so if we were to go for a different style, it would mean starting almost from scratch. There's a sofa bed that could be used but pretty much everything else would have to be bought. Looking at some cottages online, this is the kind of style that I'd find easier to achieve. Instead of the generic posters on the walls, I'd blow up Husband's good quality photos of Scottish landscape to decorate the place.

Laura

Part of the problem is that we already have a lot of fairly modern furniture, so if we were to go for a different style, it would mean starting almost from scratch. There's a sofa bed that could be used but pretty much everything else would have to be bought. Looking at some cottages online, this is the kind of style that I'd find easier to achieve. Instead of the generic posters on the walls, I'd blow up Husband's good quality photos of Scottish landscape to decorate the place.

Laura

I think that cottage is nice and fairly traditional. Remember, we lived in Germany. Hotels with modern furnishings were very sleek, nothing loke those photos.

I prefer a clean look. I think furniture that is *very* traditional can feel too grandmotherly. I think the cottage you are looking at is a good balance. Color on the walls would make it feel more cozy.

One note? If you do something like a washer/dryer combo, then provide directions. We once rented a villa in Naples with one of those and had no idea how to work it, lol.

I think that cottage is nice and fairly traditional. Remember, we lived in Germany. Hotels with modern furnishings were very sleek, nothing loke those photos.

I prefer a clean look. I think furniture that is *very* traditional can feel too grandmotherly. I think the cottage you are looking at is a good balance. Color on the walls would make it feel more cozy.

Yes, I've stayed in what to me seem rather frumpy cottages, but I don't know if that's what people prefer.

I'd do the walls in a warm yellow in Scotland: the light is very blue and needs warming up. I suspect the decor at that cottage is straight out of Ikea - that's easy to do at least.

Laura

One note? If you do something like a washer/dryer combo, then provide directions. We once rented a villa in Naples with one of those and had no idea how to work it, lol.

Combo washer dryers are the spawn of the devil. Even if you can get them to work, your clothes come out as this solid baked lump. We would put in separate washer and dryer if we could.

Laura

Laura

I think this is a fine plan. As a traveler, I'd LOVE to see original, beautiful photography on the walls. I really do not see the style of the furniture as being a big issue. If the house is warm and welcoming, outfitted nicely for service...think a fully functional kitchen, and you are priced competitively, you'll be fine. Plus, according to a interior designer I know, mixing styles is "in" right now.

I hope you'll be in business when I'm ready to travel to Scotland in the summer 2018. I would very much like to find a cottage we can rent and then go on day excursions from there while being able to cook and pack lunches and snacks so I can accomodate my GF, low carb issues.

Faith

Combo washer dryers are the spawn of the devil. Even if you can get them to work, your clothes come out as this solid baked lump. We would put in separate washer and dryer if we could.

Laura

Good to know! The fact that there is a nearby coin laundry would be fine with us.

The link is pretty much what I was thinking of. I love the idea of the chair beds because they definitely guarantee my dcs would each get their own bed. We do rent with that being the first priority. For extra beds definately preferable to a sleeper sofa. I think it all depends on your marketing plans. What the link showed is pretty much what the UK market expects. If you aim towards US and Chinese perhaps a more "authentic " style would be worth the investment. That being said you are in a good location which is really important.

I haven't read all the replies, but if I were looking for a vacation rental in Scotland, I would hope that it would be decorated traditionally and to reflect the area. A dishwasher is nice, because I don't like to do dishes on vacation. A washer and dryer would be nice, too, but not essential in my book. I would like a wood burning stove, but also not necessary. I don't particularly care to watch TV while on vacation, but I think I'm in the minority. I would prefer a cottage to sleep at least 6.

Two bedrooms. Yes, I'd expect some families with children, although a lot of visitors will be golfing parties. A play structure is a thought: I'd have to look into what insurance covers. Laura

For golfing parties, the ability to sleep two couples would be ideal - the queen in one and either the sofa bed or the ability to combine the twins in the other. I also find it very useful to have enough pictures in the ad to be able to envision the spaces available - a floorplan is ideal but oddly few people provide one.

...I do prefer a decently-stocked kitchen with a variety of pans (sauce, skillet, larger pot at minimum) along with a baking dish and cookie sheet/jelly roll pan (don't know what term you'd use!), some sharp knives and a cutting board, and a decent sized bowl that can be used for mixing as well as measuring cups/spoons etc.

Yes, this. Plus perhaps a glass Pyrex lasagna pan, which can be used for all kinds of things. I also much prefer if the cooking items are stainless rather than plastic, and not non-stick. They just feel cleaner, plus there seem to be a lot of people who don't know how to treat non-stick pans, and once they're scratched they're icky. I'd rather have a few items of higher quality, than more of lower quality. Simple shapes make them easier to clean.

...If you don't want a swingset, perhaps you could at least have a sand box with a pail and shovel. ...A drying rack is essential, though, or some sort of line in the house. One of the main problems with hotel living is that it lacks this. Our bathroom is always a mess of drying mittens or bathing suits or raincoats. Chairs and a table or a picnic bench outside would also be nice. Nan

No sandbox - neighborhood cats would use it as a litter box. Puzzles, games, local-themed books are all a nice touch.

Lots of hooks in the bathroom for towels and clean clothes - hotels never seem to have enough. Also hooks by the door for coats. I agree a drying rack is nice even if a washer/dryer is provided.

Part of the problem is that we already have a lot of fairly modern furniture, so if we were to go for a different style, it would mean starting almost from scratch. There's a sofa bed that could be used but pretty much everything else would have to be bought. Looking at some cottages online, this is the kind of style that I'd find easier to achieve. Instead of the generic posters on the walls, I'd blow up Husband's good quality photos of Scottish landscape to decorate the place. Laura

I love the decor in your link. Bright, clean, simple. You can always add some tartan pillows if you feel the need. I like the idea of hubby's Scottish photos; framing them can be expensive so do consider that. You could do a large one or two, and perhaps a cluster of smaller ones somewhere.

...If you do something like a washer/dryer combo, then provide directions. We once rented a villa in Naples with one of those and had no idea how to work it, lol.

I once had to translate a washer/dryer combo user's manual from French. Let us just say that I did not do very well in high school French. The machine ran for *hours*, keeping all the neighbors up quite late. I didn't know how to stop it. Our clothes came out VERY clean! So yes, provide info, in a variety of languages if you can! And again, the more you can label switches and things, the better.

Laura

I agree whole-heartedly. Had a combo in HK and it took all day to wash/dry/IRON one load. And I never iron in normal life. Awful.

I'm allergic to wood smoke, so I voted against that. Also, I think a queen, two twins and a pull-out is nice. When we rent, I typically need a place for 5 people which excludes a lot of properties (except in the mountains here). I agree with the others that internet access, preferably wireless, is essential.

Actually, you're allergic to a chemical in oak bark that is released when burned. :) Other than that, you're irritated by smoke. (I'm in the same boat.)

And modern woodstoves are SMOKELESS inside the house! LOVE THEM.

I do not want to clean out a wood stove every day while on vacation (I do it at home), so I'd want the rental to include that. The wood stove itself would not be something I'd be thrilled to have.

Once a day??? When we run ours 24/7, we clean it out once every 4 days! You're doing work for nothing!

I'm trying to work out what aspects are the most important to visitors - I'll be talking to local tourist reps as well, but I want more general opinions. This is for a pre-retirement business that we might be able to set up to take us through until Husband turns 70. It is not B&B but a cottage that you rent by the week: the guests feed themselves and only come to the owner in emergencies. Please reply to the three polls, choosing the essential features, the nice-to-have features and the don't bother features.

This would be a stone-built cottage attached to the landlord's house but with its own front door and free access to two acres of grounds. There are myriad cultural and sporting attractions nearby and the area gets a lot of tourists, as well as academic visitors out of season. If you have any other ideas of aspects that you would like to see in such a property (or horror stories about past experiences) I'm all ears.

ETA: supplementary question: if you had the choice of a) wood burning stove in sitting room and TV in a bedroom or b ) TV in sitting room and no wood-burning stove, which would you choose? I might be able to put a TV on the wall in the sitting room, but it might start to feel cluttered as it's not a big room.

Second supplementary question: for a two bedroom cottage: would you expect it to sleep 4 (one room with queen bed, one with two twins) or six (extra sofa bed in one of the bedrooms)?

Yet another follow-up question: I'm not good at chintzy/traditional furnishings, but is that what you would look for in this kind of property? My style in my own house is a mix of antiques and sleek modern pieces with Chinese hangings on the wall. Obviously I'm not going to put antiques into the holiday cottage, so would modern work or do I have to learn traditional?

Thanks

Laura

I'm already putting this on my vacation list!

I checked off washer/dryer, just because I wouldn't want to spend vacation doing laundry.

I checked off internet, because it would be important to be able to check opening times, travel directions,etc.

Dishwasher, neither a plus nor a minus.

TV -- please no. Maybe have a little portable set that could be brought out for people who want a TV?

Wood burning stove - NO!!! Possibly dangerous if people don't know how to dispose of (warm) ashes and take other basic safety precautions.

For me, nice typically (stereotypically) British decoration (is that chintz or plaid in Scotland?) would make the vacation memorable and make me likely to recommend it to others.

For me, (relatively) inexpensive amenities are important -- good reading lights, plenty of hangers, box of kleenex, extra toilet paper, maybe a hair dryer (British plugs!!!). Some books about Scotland, a few mysteries (Hamish Macbeth?) would be a plus. A list/map of local stores (for food) would be welcome. Ordinance survey map of area. Small hand vacuum, simple cleaning supplies. Extra light bulbs.

Don't know about how many beds -- maybe one extra small bed for a family with three children? If you sleep six, you might get bargain hunter young adults who might not be as careful/quiet as you would like.

I'm ready to be your first visitor. :)

Loved the cottage you linked. I want clean, spacious/uncluttered in my vacation rentals. Washer and dryer are important for those bringing as little luggage as possible. Sleeping 6 would open you up to more groups.

Seriously, I'd come stay. You won't need to advertise outside the WTM forums. LOL

ETA: supplementary question: if you had the choice of a) wood burning stove in sitting room and TV in a bedroom or b ) TV in sitting room and no wood-burning stove, which would you choose? I might be able to put a TV on the wall in the sitting room, but it might start to feel cluttered as it's not a big room.

Second supplementary question: for a two bedroom cottage: would you expect it to sleep 4 (one room with queen bed, one with two twins) or six (extra sofa bed in one of the bedrooms)?

Yet another follow-up question: I'm not good at chintzy/traditional furnishings, but is that what you would look for in this kind of property? My style in my own house is a mix of antiques and sleek modern pieces with Chinese hangings on the wall. Obviously I'm not going to put antiques into the holiday cottage, so would modern work or do I have to learn traditional?

I would prefer a wood-burning stove to a TV on holiday.

I would expect 2 bedrooms to sleep 4 but would be happy if the house slept 6 (actually 5, but you asked about 6). :D

I would definitely prefer traditional decor. The words modern and cottage are oxymoronic to me.

I'd say that internet access (wifi), cooking facilities, and laundry facilities would be my top priorities. A TV & DVD player in the sitting room and possibly one of the bedrooms would be nice. Many people are addicted to TV, so it might be wise to go ahead and put them in each bedroom. A library of second-hand DVDs would be nice and cheap to put together.

I'd avoid a play structure (liability), and, TBH, I wouldn't market to people with kids either. I mean, I'd put up with kids and be nice to them, but I wouldn't try to make it super appealing to families with loads of little kids. Kids break stuff and are messy. (I can say this! I have kids!) I'd probably put a sofa-bed in the sitting room so that it COULD sleep 6, as I'd think you could easily get more for the rental by doing that.

We have stayed in numerous vacation B&B places in Ireland. I didn't think any of your items were essential. We usually just use the place we stay as a home base and spend all day touring, seeing, and doing things. It would be nice to have a washer and dryer or even just a washer because doing a load of laundry now and then would be nice but not essential because we usually bring plenty of clothes and if not, there were always laundries where we could drop off our clothes and have someone else wash them for cheap.

We generally don't cook much while vacationing and would be able to wash up dishes easily by hand if needed.

TV would not be expected but would be nice to have when we first wake in the morning...though if Scotland is like Ireland in weather it's pretty much the same every day. DVD we would not use on vacation. Internet access would be really nice to have but would not be a condition of my renting a place.

Also, though it would be cozy, we would probably not want to mess with a wood stove.

It would be best to have a sofa bed and be able to sleep 6 simply because many families are larger than 4 people....this was our biggest problem traveling in Ireland, most places have rooms with beds for 3 or 4 only so we'd have to rent an entire house or two rooms which gets pricey.

Location would be my most important priority.

I put down the bare essentials and I couldn't put nothing on the first poll so I put tv. But nothing is truly essential, depending on the kind of vacation. We have rented cottages and apartments throughout Europe and US. When I am choosing between places, I choose the best equipped one in the best place. But that doesn't have to mean it has to have all. I do like internet access and even more now than I did in 2003-2006 when I was renting in Europe. I like dishwashers but they are not essentials. The washer and dryer depends on local customs and how long people will be staying and whether they are swimming a lot. When we rented a condo at the beach this fall, we wanted a washer and dryer because of the beach= we wanted to wash and dry our suits and definitely dry towels. We really love having tvs in the place because it is nice to have some down time and also to get local news and weather. Particularly when we were traveling with littles, it was nice to park them in front of a tv with a kids' show after a day of activities to let the parents rest a bit. You can PM me if you want my experiences in renting in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, London, Maine, Georgia, ALabama, Florida, California, Canada, and I am probably forgetting some. I do this often and can tell you more about how I choose.

I would definitely rather have a wood-burner in the lounge than a tv in the bedroom.

I would expect a 2 bedroom to have a double room and a twin room. A sofa bed in the lounge or one of the bedrooms would be a bonus, but not necessarily expected. That being said, if you can fit a sofa bed in, you will open yourself up to a bigger market - those with bigger families - so it might be a good idea.

I think any kind of decor is fine as long as the house is clean and tidy.

In most places I would say the wood-burning stove is not necessary, however, having been in Scotland in June and sitting by the fire all day long while it rained.....I'd say yes, that would come in darn handy. :D

Ah yes: the afternoon we tried to burn the house down.

Laura

ETA....I'd prefer a more traditional decor, but not too grannie cute, if you know what I mean. The English cottage in 'The Holiday' is a dream. We rarely stayed in anything remotely that 'done.' but it's a nice dream to dream on.

I switched on the TV tonight and 'The Holiday' was on. I watched a bit of it for the decor.... or perhaps for the Jude Law.

Laura

Laura

LOVE the style that you linked. I would love that in a Scottish cottage. As a matter of fact, I have those embroidered pillows on my bed :D . Gotta love IKEA!