Menu

How strongly do you feel that your religion/church is the right/true one?

Veritaserum

How strongly do you feel that your religion/church is the right/true one?  

331 members have voted

1. 1. How strongly do you feel that your religion/church is the right/true/best one?

• I know it is the right/true/best religion/church for everyone and I wish everyone realized this.
    • I'm pretty sure, but I wouldn't say that I know it is the right/true/best religion/church. I think it's better than any other option available.
    • It's the right/true/best religion/church for me, but it isn't necessarily that for other people.
    • I don't believe that any religion/church is more right/true/good than any other. Each person must decide that for him/herself.
    • I know that all religion/churches are bad for everyone and I wish everyone realized this.
    • Other.
  2. 2. Do you still believe/attend the same religion/church that you did in your family of origin?

• Yes because I believe it.
    • Yes because it's expected by my family, but I don't believe any or part of the teachings.
    • No because I don't believe it and I found a religion/church that suits me better.
    • No because I don't believe it and I did not find a new religion/church.
    • Other.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel Christianity in general is true because they point to the True God, Jesus Christ. My particular brand of Christianity, Roman Catholicism, works best for me toward my love of Jesus and the Holy Trinity, and working out my Salvation here on earth. I don't claim that's the best route for everybody. The aspect of the R.C. church that is "truer" than most (in my opinon) is Jesus in the Eucharist. That is either true or not, no in between, and I believe it is true. Once you believe that, other Christian denominations pale. The R.C. church certainly has its problems and issues (and maybe an upcoming schism) but Jesus in the Eucharist is its reason for Being.

This is not what the Church teaches. That does not mean that there is no hope for salvation for those who are not Catholic, nor does it mean that everybody "feels" that the Catholic Church is for them, but it does teach that it is the One True Church and by corollary it is the best for all. We pray for the dead, we trust God's mercy, and we cannot know the state of any soul but our own. But, it is against Church teaching to say that the Church is not the best way for every single person.

BTW, I don't know what they teach now, but when I was a little girl getting catechized, the Russian Orthodox Church taught basically the same thing. As an adult, an Orthodox priest told me (though not in so many words, but much more charitably) that unless I repented and came back into the Orthodox Church I was damning myself.

Neither Church teaches universal salvation.

Can we please, please, please not go there? Can we please have a conversation about God and religion in which one Christian doesn't tell another Christian how, exactly, to be the only way Christianity says?

For YEARS, I tried to be true to myself and forge a Christianity that was authentic, real, meaningful. And I was *repeatedly* buffetted by Christians telling me lists of how to be Christian.

I ultimately left the faith, in part over this issue.

Why would you think it's helpful or in God's plan to correct a Christian believer because your denomination says it differently?

sigh

OP, I had a hard time with the poll because the words religion and church are too narrow and scripted.

I do believe mine is the right one and everyone should agree; my spirituality worldview is inclusive, responsive, expansive, and wide open - I believe that IS the right one.

I do not believe or follow the religion of my foo, but if I were to turn back to Christianity in any form, the denomination is likely.

Can we please, please, please not go there? Can we please have a conversation about God and religion in which one Christian doesn't tell another Christian how, exactly, to be the only way Christianity says?

...Why would you think it's helpful or in God's plan to correct a Christian believer because your denomination says it differently?

Joanne, I could be wrong, but I think they're both part of the same church (Catholic). If that's the case, part of being Catholic is getting behind what the church teaches, so it seems she was just pointing something out in relation to that. This whole thread is about whether or not we believe the faith tradition we're apart of is what might be called "the one true way" to God, so I don't see the comment that was made as "going there." It's fully in the context of the discussion. I don't know, as I said, I could be wrong. Please forgive me if I have offended in any way.

This is not what the Church teaches. That does not mean that there is no hope for salvation for those who are not Catholic, nor does it mean that everybody "feels" that the Catholic Church is for them, but it does teach that it is the One True Church and by corollary it is the best for all. We pray for the dead, we trust God's mercy, and we cannot know the state of any soul but our own. But, it is against Church teaching to say that the Church is not the best way for every single person.

BTW, I don't know what they teach now, but when I was a little girl getting catechized, the Russian Orthodox Church taught basically the same thing. As an adult, an Orthodox priest told me (though not in so many words, but much more charitably) that unless I repented and came back into the Orthodox Church I was damning myself.

Neither Church teaches universal salvation.

I never said it was what the Church teaches. It is my own personal belief which I stated when I said, "I believe..." I'm sorry I've upset you.

Frankly I could say a thing or two about what you were told about damning yourself, but I'll refrain.

I'm so sorry you were hurt.

Her comment is more of a Catholic telling another Catholic about the only way to be Catholic. It is something we will have to debate in the social group if they ever come back.

Really? Interesting! Not to sound cold, but I wouldn't be with my husband if he wasn't the same religion as me. My relationship with my Creator comes first, and either he's with me or not. Now, if he was swaying in his belief, we would talk about it and try to come to a resolution, but ultimately if it comes down to having to choose God or my husband... well, God wins.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m curious about your post. While I agree that a couple being the same religion is ideal, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t understand how your husband not embracing your religion would force you into a choice between him and God.

Can you explain that? Do you mean that if your husband wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t the same religion as you that you couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be married? Would you separate from him or divorce him, if he wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t or couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be persuaded to your views?

I realize that having different religions in the same household can present unique challenges and difficulties, but how does your husband being of a different religion threaten your personal relationship with God and force you into a decision?

I can only see this being a problem requiring separation if one spouse is combative about it and either attacks the other for being religious or the religious one attacks or disrespects the other for not converting or adhering.

Joanne, I could be wrong, but I think they're both part of the same church (Catholic). If that's the case, part of being Catholic is getting behind what the church teaches, so it seems she was just pointing something out in relation to that. This whole thread is about whether or not we believe the faith tradition we're apart of is what might be called "the one true way" to God, so I don't see the comment that was made as "going there." It's fully in the context of the discussion. I don't know, as I said, I could be wrong. Please forgive me if I have offended in any way.

Yes.

Quite frankly itlmrs took what I said out of context. I do agree that the Church is the best way for Christian salvation, but as itlmrs said herself, it is not the only way.

I've had discussions with more than one very learned priest about what I said up thread. I've not said anything that goes against the teachings of the Church. Nor do I fear damnation - at least not for that. :coolgleamA:

My personal feeling is that I won't know for sure if I'm right until I'm dead, so it's not my place to judge anyone for what they believe.

If people are nice, and honest, and decent, that's enough for me. Their religion (or lack thereof) is of no concern to me. (I mean, OK, if they're part of some sort of Satanistic cult and they sacrifice puppies and kitten, that's going to make a difference, but you know what I mean, right?)

This is basically how I feel about, too. I do believe in a supernatural being to whom I pray, but I don't claim to have any knowledge of how he/she/it does things. I feel that religion makes very little difference in your relationship to that being, but if you want to believe something else, you have every right to do so. Just don't harm others.

I couldn't answer the poll because none of the answers seemed to fit because of the second clause in each choice.

I believe Christianity is true as expressed in the creeds, but I would never say, "And I wish everyone realized this" . It sounds really snotty.

I also can't answer the second section because of the second clause. My parents didn't really believe anything though they attended church sporadically for social/cultural reasons. I didn't find a religion that "suited me" better. That is not the way I view things. The earth revolves around the sun, not the sun around the earth. Finding a religion that suits me sounds like I view myself as the sun and the religion as a part of my world. I view God as the sun and He is the center. My life needs to orbit around Him, not vice versa. I became a Christian because I thought it was true, not because it suited me. In fact, when I made the final decision to become a Christian, it didn't "suit" me at all. There was a lot about the way I was living that had to change.

Hmm...I had problems answering because I have different feelings depending on whether I used the word 'church' or 'religion' in the statement. They weren't equitable terms to me.

For instance, I attend a different church then my family, be we are still within the same religion. Similarly, I feel strongly about my religion, but not so much my church. I think churches are more a personality issue and I think its good to have a variety of sects to chose from, but I feel much stronger about the religion as a whole.

I could not vote for this reason. Yes, I believe that belief in Christ is essential to salvation. But I do not believe my church is the only place to learn that. My family of origin, including grandparents and extended family, is Methodist. They have the same core beliefs as I do, but I prefer the methods and teachings in the non-denominational church we now attend. We disagree on infant baptism, but that is really the most notable.difference. I know that our church is the best for our family.

Hmm...I had problems answering because I have different feelings depending on whether I used the word 'church' or 'religion' in the statement. They weren't equitable terms to me.

For instance, I attend a different church then my family, be we are still within the same religion. Similarly, I feel strongly about my religion, but not so much my church. I think churches are more a personality issue and I think its good to have a variety of sects to chose from, but I feel much stronger about the religion as a whole.

This explains me too. I was raised Christian and I am still a Christian. But as far as church, I have attended many different churches and I am of a different denomination now, too. I was raised pentecostal but I am now reformed baptist.

Yes.

Quite frankly itlmrs took what I said out of context. I do agree that the Church is the best way for Christian salvation, but as itlmrs said herself, it is not the only way.

I've had discussions with more than one very learned priest about what I said up thread. I've not said anything that goes against the teachings of the Church. Nor do I fear damnation - at least not for that. :coolgleamA:

It's a sticky part, that portion of teaching, and it can be a hornet's nest. Do we think that The RCC holds the fulness of faith and truth? Yes. Is God capable of working outside of the church? Of course. It's grey, and so hard to explain when you're internally leaning toward the Magesterium.

I think, ltmrs on the damning part, was speaking of what her old Orthodox priest told her...I didn't read it as her saying anything about your remark.

Exactly.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m curious about your post. While I agree that a couple being the same religion is ideal, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t understand how your husband not embracing your religion would force you into a choice between him and God.

Can you explain that? Do you mean that if your husband wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t the same religion as you that you couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be married? Would you separate from him or divorce him, if he wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t or couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be persuaded to your views?

I realize that having different religions in the same household can present unique challenges and difficulties, but how does your husband being of a different religion threaten your personal relationship with God and force you into a decision?

I can only see this being a problem requiring separation if one spouse is combative about it and either attacks the other for being religious or the religious one attacks or disrespects the other for not converting or adhering.

Since my relationship with my Creator is the main focus of my life, my husband needs to be on board with me. We both married each other with the expectation that would be work together to try to maintain and strengthen our religious character and lifestyle. If one of us wanted to convert, I could see it taking years to finally come to a separation, but I do believe it would be inevitable.

This is a bit of a small example in comparison to religious matters I suppose, but let's say my main focus in life is to retire at age 40. This goal requires me to be mindful of my actions on a day to day basis, and if my husband is not in the same mindset as me, he will naturally do things that may work against my goal. My penny pinching ways will be off set by him going out to lunch with buddies and buying a new, large TV (not uncommon actions for the majority of people). Unless he is on point with me in my #1 focus in life, it would feel like we are roommates and not a married couple, in my opinion.

I love my husband, but the fact is I've thought I loved my ex (DD1's dad) also, so I know I wouldn't be without love forever and ever if we had to move on from each other. For me, love comes when we are working together as a team and I appreciate him and he appreciates me. We respect each other's character and goals and help each other work towards our separate and mutual goals. If my husband no longer is helping me to work towards my goals, and isn't walking with me side by side, then it would be natural that we would no longer be functioning in our marriage on a healthy level.

I know that many people live with a spouse that is a different religion as them, and that works for them. For me, it just wouldn't. My religion isn't just something I think and feel, but it is an active part of my life. If he wasn't with me in the activities I do because of my religion, it would feel like there was a void that needs to be filled.

I wish I had better worded my poll. My wording is colored by my religious upbringing. Church and religion were synonyms because my church taught that it has the fullness of the gospel and that is is the one true church (I.e. the only one that had all the truth instead of just pieces of truth like other churches). I no longer believe either of those claims.

WRT spouses sharing religious beliefs, I certainly hope my husband doesn't divorce me because of my change in beliefs. When we got married, I was ultra-orthodox. In fact, it upset me that he was not as orthodox as I was. He's never really been orthodox, actually. He has always taken what he likes and disregarded the rest. I saw things in a more black-and-white way, which is how I experienced the teachings of the church. Because of this, when I became uncomfortable with one tenet of the faith, it started a chain reaction. Dh has been very loving and supportive. My loss of faith has felt like a death to me. It's quite painful, actually, and it would be made much worse if dh rubbed salt in the wound by condemning me and rejecting me on top of everything else.

I wish I had better worded my poll. My wording is colored by my religious upbringing. Church and religion were synonyms because my church taught that it has the fullness of the gospel and that is is the one true church (I.e. the only one that had all the truth instead of just pieces of truth like other churches). I no longer believe either of those claims.

WRT spouses sharing religious beliefs, I certainly hope my husband doesn't divorce me because of my change in beliefs. When we got married, I was ultra-orthodox. In fact, it upset me that he was not as orthodox as I was. He's never really been orthodox, actually. He has always taken what he likes and disregarded the rest. I saw things in a more black-and-white way, which is how I experienced the teachings of the church. Because of this, when I became uncomfortable with one tenet of the faith, it started a chain reaction. Dh has been very loving and supportive. My loss of faith has felt like a death to me. It's quite painful, actually, and it would be made much worse if dh rubbed salt in the wound by condemning me and rejecting me on top of everything else.

The poll made perfect sense to me, but that's because we had the same religious upbringing. ;)

I was black-and-white too, and the initial transition was very painful. :grouphug:

Would you mind elaborating if you are comfortable doing so?

I am an extremely mundane, solitary pagan. From what I can tell from the chat board I frequent, if a man has taken the trouble to become pagan, he isn't going to be mundane about it. He will be further into the Craft, so what I have to offer would feel like Paganism for the Wishy Washy to him. Dealing with me, spiritually, would make him feel like he was downgrading his soul.

I always read statements like that as being a choice between him and the core of her being. I don't know how one could choose one's spouse over the core of one's own being and can't possibly think one should. That kind of sacrifice is inappropriate.

My personal feeling is that I won't know for sure if I'm right until I'm dead, so it's not my place to judge anyone for what they believe.

If people are nice, and honest, and decent, that's enough for me. Their religion (or lack thereof) is of no concern to me. (I mean, OK, if they're part of some sort of Satanistic cult and they sacrifice puppies and kitten, that's going to make a difference, but you know what I mean, right?)

That is how I think.

I was raised in a holy rolling Jesus freak family. They were crazy. Everyone was going to hell for everything as far as they were concerned

DH grew up Catholic in Europe. I never knew there were sane religious people until I met his family.

Neither of us are religious now but as long as no one tries to cram something down my throat then their religious status doesn't matter to me.

I didn't answer the poll. I am a non-Christian religion. I know that my religion is right, but I am unconcerned with whether others believe this or choose to follow my religion. We are not proselytizers. Our religion is not based on reward/punishment, just a correct understanding of the way things are. I think it's great when people realize that my religion provides the correct path, but as they won't be punished if they don't, I don't worry about other people joining us. Nor am I afraid of other people living differently, so I have no desire to see everyone live the way we do. In fact, I would not want to live in a place where everyone was my religion or my religion was the official religion because I don't want to be told how to believe and live.

I was raised in a nonreligious household.

Tara

I voted Other in the first part. While I don't think all religions/churches are bad for all people, there are certainly some that are. And I do wish more people would just "let go" of beliefs. I couldn't vote for it as an all or nothing option though.

For the second part - No I'm not of the same faith as my family of origin, but I don't believe anymore so I didn't find another. Actually, several people in my FOO also no longer believe. I was raised Catholic. We didn't call it Roman Catholic, just Catholic. If we were discussing Orthodox then we would say Orthodox Catholic. That was the norm in the culture in which I was raised.

As a Mormon I'm suppose to believe that the church is the one "true" one, but I don't. Truth is subjective, IMO. For me, the LDS church feels like home for my soul. I have a lot of theological issues with some doctrines, but I believe in working on them.

My parents are both Episcopal ministers. On one hand, the Episcopal church feels like home. It's what I've known my whole life. Even when I don't go to Episcopal services I know everything that is going one and a national and international level. On the other hand, it's not home for me because the services don't fill me up.

As a Mormon I'm suppose to believe that the church is the one "true" one, but I don't. Truth is subjective, IMO. For me, the LDS church feels like home for my soul. I have a lot of theological issues with some doctrines, but I believe in working on them.

My parents are both Episcopal ministers. On one hand, the Episcopal church feels like home. It's what I've known my whole life. Even when I don't go to Episcopal services I know everything that is going one and a national and international level. On the other hand, it's not home for me because the services don't fill me up.

Interesting. It's the LDS church that I was raised in. The church is black-and-white and so are my parents. I imagine your experience coming in not having been raised in that way must be fairly different from mine. Or maybe it is a personality difference. I have difficulty accepting anything in life halfway, so the stuff that bothers me--especially given the integral and widespread nature of it--really, really bothers me. Dh just shrugs off whatever he doesn't like so long as there is something he does like. I tried that for many years and I just can't do it anymore, even though he and I both wish that I could.

*deep breath* this can get ugly quicker than the political threads. Let me just say that there are many people who say "we're right" in such a way that it sounds like "you're going to the hot place for being wrong, neener neener" but just because that makes them look bad doesn't diminish any truth that is in their religion. A crude politician can have sound laws written and his personality does not make them unjust.

Joanne, I haven't figured out how to do the whole multi-quote very well in the new forums, so I'm just going to respond to both you and Chucki in one post. As others have pointed out, I was speaking as one Catholic to another Catholic, not as a Catholic to others of a different denomination. I don't know how it works within Protestant Christianity, but in the Catholic Church there are a few things that are very well defined as being Catholic doctrine and this is one of those things.

Many times what a Catholic says that they believe to be within Church teaching maybe misconstrued by somebody outside the tradition to mean something different. There's no question in my mind, Chucki, that you intended to say anything against the magistrium, but it could too easily be misinterpreted that way and you were speaking as a Catholic. I wanted to clarify what you said in order that those who were looking at the thread on this public forum have a solid representation of what the Church actually says and for those who are interested, I posted the link to the document where the Church expounds on that. And Chucki, I'm sorry if I did not phrase it as charitably/gently as I could have, for what it's worth another Catholic PMed me to tell me that though what I wrote was correct, it could have been said better and I agree with her.

Since RCC is all one church under the same umbrella of beliefs that are very specifically spelled out it can sound very restrictive to others because not every Baptist church (just an example) believes the exact same things. Being RC requires that you do believe all the teachings of the church, however no man is the master of another's conscience so enforcement is where things get a bit crazy.

IMO, being a member of a religion that says "this is the way" and simultaneously believing there is more than one way is a bit of doublethink, but I'm a very literal person. I also don't know where OP was going with this discussion since it seems to be making at least one member extremely uncomfortable that it's involving actual discussion.

I am an extremely mundane, solitary pagan. From what I can tell from the chat board I frequent, if a man has taken the trouble to become pagan, he isn't going to be mundane about it. He will be further into the Craft, so what I have to offer would feel like Paganism for the Wishy Washy to him. Dealing with me, spiritually, would make him feel like he was downgrading his soul.

Thank you, that makes sense. I think that if two people are at different levels of spirituality, it can be almost like they are practicing different religions.

Hey, no problem, Sweetie. As anyone who has kept up with my week knows I've a lot on my plate and could have elaborated. Between not thinking clearly due to exhaustion and not wanting to offend anyone in a religious thread I just kept my thoughts to a minimum hoping it would satisfy.

Sorry for causing all the confusion.

Joanne, I haven't figured out how to do the whole multi-quote very well in the new forums, so I'm just going to respond to both you and Chucki in one post. As others have pointed out, I was speaking as one Catholic to another Catholic, not as a Catholic to others of a different denomination. I don't know how it works within Protestant Christianity, but in the Catholic Church there are a few things that are very well defined as being Catholic doctrine and this is one of those things.

Many times what a Catholic says that they believe to be within Church teaching maybe misconstrued by somebody outside the tradition to mean something different. There's no question in my mind, Chucki, that you intended to say anything against the magistrium, but it could too easily be misinterpreted that way and you were speaking as a Catholic. I wanted to clarify what you said in order that those who were looking at the thread on this public forum have a solid representation of what the Church actually says and for those who are interested, I posted the link to the document where the Church expounds on that. And Chucki, I'm sorry if I did not phrase it as charitably/gently as I could have, for what it's worth another Catholic PMed me to tell me that though what I wrote was correct, it could have been said better and I agree with her.

It's a sticky part, that portion of teaching, and it can be a hornet's nest. Do we think that The RCC holds the fulness of faith and truth? Yes. Is God capable of working outside of the church? Of course. It's grey, and so hard to explain when you're internally leaning toward the Magesterium.

I think, ltmrs on the damning part, was speaking of what her old Orthodox priest told her...I didn't read it as her saying anything about your remark.

Again I agree. I did understand what she was saying about what her old EO priest told her. I was just saying that I know my thinking on what has become controversial won't damn me - it isn't against RC teaching. It just clarifies something in my mind about the vvariety of the world's religions.

Also in trying to not cause controversy with others who are not Catholic I caused controversy with those who are. And I'd much rather that any day.

I voted Other in the first part. While I don't think all religions/churches are bad for all people, there are certainly some that are. And I do wish more people would just "let go" of beliefs. I couldn't vote for it as an all or nothing option though.

For the second part - No I'm not of the same faith as my family of origin, but I don't believe anymore so I didn't find another. Actually, several people in my FOO also no longer believe. I was raised Catholic. We didn't call it Roman Catholic, just Catholic. If we were discussing Orthodox then we would say Orthodox Catholic. That was the norm in the culture in which I was raised.

It is often forgotten that there is more than one branch on the Catholic tree since the RC is most prominent. FWIW I only use RC when speaking on message boards. It is the only place I'm liable to run into someone who isn't RC, yet still Catholic. The clarification can be helpful in those instances.

:grouphug:

Interesting. It's the LDS church that I was raised in. The church is black-and-white and so are my parents. I imagine your experience coming in not having been raised in that way must be fairly different from mine. Or maybe it is a personality difference. I have difficulty accepting anything in life halfway, so the stuff that bothers me--especially given the integral and widespread nature of it--really, really bothers me. Dh just shrugs off whatever he doesn't like so long as there is something he does like. I tried that for many years and I just can't do it anymore, even though he and I both wish that I could.

I was one that was also not raised that way. One side of my family were atheists who condemned all religious people as stupid and the other side were southern Baptists who were sure everyone was going to h*ll. I've never seen lds doctrine as black-and-white. I've personally found it to be a loving, embracing faith. We have the fulness of the gospel, but certainly others have the gospel as well. Everyone who accepts Jesus or believes in God or acts in a kind, loving way is a person who has a portion of the light. We are all progressing along our own path and that progression can continue after we die. There is nothing black-and-white, because only god can draw merciful judgements at the end of it all. There is no concept of h*ll, in the way other christians understand it. We are all going to be saved except for a very few in o.d.

Of course, I live on the east coast. Some of the most difficult, judgemental, black-and-white church members I've met are transplants from your neck of the woods. Is it possible that some of the issues are cultural rather than doctrinal?

Your second list of choices didn't have one for me. I do attend. I don't believe the teachings 100% but I believe they are generally consistent with the universal truth, and they do no harm. I attend because I think it's good for my kids to be part of a church family.

I don't go to church to be told what to think, but I like to be inspired re what to think about.

I was one that was also not raised that way. One side of my family were atheists who condemned all religious people as stupid and the other side were southern Baptists who were sure everyone was going to h*ll. I've never seen lds doctrine as black-and-white. I've personally found it to be a loving, embracing faith. We have the fulness of the gospel, but certainly others have the gospel as well. Everyone who accepts Jesus or believes in God or acts in a kind, loving way is a person who has a portion of the light. We are all progressing along our own path and that progression can continue after we die. There is nothing black-and-white, because only god can draw merciful judgements at the end of it all. There is no concept of h*ll, in the way other christians understand it. We are all going to be saved except for a very few in o.d.

Of course, I live on the east coast. Some of the most difficult, judgemental, black-and-white church members I've met are transplants from your neck of the woods. Is it possible that some of the issues are cultural rather than doctrinal?

:iagree: we beleive we are all God's children, and that which leads to do good we believe comes from God. It's like light bulbs, some are brigther than others. (yes, that's simplistic, but I tried.) One tenent of LDS faith is progression doesn't end when we die, and we take literally the definition of d*mned as blocked, inhibited much like placing a dam on a river. to Us, Gods name is Eternal, so when talking of Eternal/Inifinite punishment, it's literally God's punishment and doesn't mean forever. we believe everyone ultimately will receive that which they are capable of recieving. My sister has embraced some eastern teachings, I can see how much it has benefited her. she's much happier and more at peace than she was before.

I was raised by a mother who couldn't decide if she was agnostic or atheist. her mother was reared southern baptist and frequently refrained if we didn't do what she said, we'd go to H*ll. It was actually quite the challenge for me to embrace a loving God becasue that had been so driven into my pscyhe. (I have much more understanding on why people end up leaving any religion after dealing with her.) I thought it sad she held to a god of death h*ll fire brimstone and destruction. interestingly, she coudln't stand the SB here where she transplanted to from the midwest. she thought they were "cliquish". but then WASP was an overly broad social group for her. (I honestly think she'd have been happier if she'd stayed in MO).

My other grandmother was very religious in her protestant faith, but still was quite black and white. also sad as she was incredibiliy devestated by my father's death because he had rejected her religion and she was convinced he was consigned to a state of endless misery.

e

I have a lot of theological trivia along with a bit of knowledge stuck in my head and a lot of resources both print and other media. If there is ever anything i can do to help you during your journey please let me know. :grouphug:

I responded based on the intent of the OP, which comes down to specific denominations, not just broad generalizations. I was raised with an atheist father and a mother who was Methodist from childhood and changed to Presbyterian when I was in 3rd grade. In 9th grade I started going to a Baptist church with my best friend. In 12th grade, I met my husband. He was a member of the church of Christ (NEVER to be confused with LDS, United Church of Christ, International Church of Christ).

I don't think we are supposed to be shopping around trying to find a church that "suits us". The Bible is the unchanging Word of God. If you find the church that teaches only the Bible, you have found where you belong.

Most importantly I grew up knowing about God, and many details of the Bible. But there were things I never could really figure out...like why babies were "christened" or baptized, considering there was never a single example of an infant baptism in the Bible. Ever. I felt drawn to a church that preached baptism after belief, because that's what the Bible teaches. My boyfriend (now husband) showed me all the scriptures in the Bible that taught baptism was not only important, but it was the point where you are added to the church, to the body of Christ, to the saved. I had been in other denominations for so long that I believed their doctrine. I have since studied it for myself, and come to the conclusion that all these instances of baptism at the point of salvation in the New Testament are there for a reason. Specifically, that this is what is commanded. It makes sense to take all the teachings about salvation together, not pick and choose which ones you will believe.

I voted for the 4th choice in the first question. I believe humans have a spiritual need, and how they fill that need depends on where they were born and the environment they were raised. There is something out there for everyone, even non-belief, and as long as all actions are legal, it works for me.

For question #2 I answered other. I was raised RCC, although not too strictly. We probably went to church a dozen times a year and were sent to Catholic school, but I never felt forced. Well, my mom did make me confirm for my grandma's sake. When my parents divorced after my dad's infidelity my mom, sister, and I were shunned at our congregation and no longer allowed to participate. This made me very uncomfortable with my faith and I spent my young adult years looking for something else. For a while I joined a Lutheran church. My kids were all baptized there, and I was very happy. It "felt" like home again. All this time I was also teaching at a Catholic school. Nobody forced or preached to me there, they just waited patiently. After 8 years, God called me home again. My kids and I are back, and my oldest will be having his first communion later next year.

I voted for the 4th choice in the first question. I believe humans have a spiritual need, and how they fill that need depends on where they were born and the environment they were raised. There is something out there for everyone, even non-belief, and as long as all actions are legal, it works for me.

For question #2 I answered other. I was raised RCC, although not too strictly. We probably went to church a dozen times a year and were sent to Catholic school, but I never felt forced. Well, my mom did make me confirm for my grandma's sake. When my parents divorced after my dad's infidelity my mom, sister, and I were shunned at our congregation and no longer allowed to participate. This made me very uncomfortable with my faith and I spent my young adult years looking for something else. For a while I joined a Lutheran church. My kids were all baptized there, and I was very happy. It "felt" like home again. All this time I was also teaching at a Catholic school. Nobody forced or preached to me there, they just waited patiently. After 8 years, God called me home again. My kids and I are back, and my oldest will be having his first communion later next year.

Oh, my word! I'm so sorry that happened to your family. I'm very glad you found your way back home. :grouphug:

I don't know how many have read orson scott card's ender's series, but there is somethng that might be interesting to at least some. It occured to me to share.

He has two very different versions of the parable of the woman taken in adultery. in one, the priest casts a stone because if only perfect people enforce the law, it won't be enforced re: the rigidity. in the other, the priest tells the woman to tell her master who saved her so he'll be rewarded. re: the corruption.

the point of sharing those two versions was to point out how fine of a line Jesus Christ demanded. He was without sin, but also perfectly compasionate when it is appropriate. the law is strict, but we must also be compasionate. anyway, probably a poor summation.

I can't answer the poll because the only choice for non-believers is: "I know that all religion/churches are bad for everyone and I wish everyone realized this."

To say "I know" is too strong, and implies an unwillingness to consider new evidence. "There's not a shred of evidence that..." is more appropriate. So, I am confident that no religion church is the right. Further, I generally don't feel that the spiritual beliefs of individuals are harmful, and that's as fas I'll go in this venue. :001_smile:

ETA: I was raised going to an Anglican church, but stopped at age 8 because I didn't "want to be hypocritical." I was acutely aware of my non-belief even at that age.

Its an interesting topic....I wonder if all 48% are from the SAME church ;o). My guess is no. Since I have watched parents on hands and knees from EVERY religion and faith pray for lives of their children, some live, some die; all parents quite devout in their faith I have come to believe that god doesn't play favorites...so if I am saved, I am saved by grace (not faith) and so are all human beings. That would be my "christian" perspective, though I embrace all faiths and persons who are committed to good in the world and whole heartily making their life a testimony to love, not by words, but by actions.

This is my problem with religion, I think. And it's one of the things I appreciate about my Jewish upbringing. I was never taught (liberal/reform) someone was doomed because they weren't Jewish. I was taught that everyone walks a different path and there isn't just one "right" one. However, I don't know many other people who believe this. I feel pulled to certain religions, but I truly do not believe at any one denomination or religion is the right one. I think that's my biggest stumbling block to any type of conversion.

To me, religion isn't something you pick and choose, but it is a progressive discovery of truth. Therefore, the attitude of "It might be right for me but not someone else" doesn't hold water. Don't we all want to find the underlying truth to everything? Something is true if it's true for everyone, otherwise it's just a preference.

I am a Christian and believe that salvation for all people comes through Jesus Christ, and that His teachings are what this life is all about. However, I also think we probably have a lot of things wrong in the Christian church. My faith has evolved quite a bit from where it first began, but hopefully it is getting closer to what that truth is, and to what God intends for us to know.

I am a Christian and believe that salvation for all people comes through Jesus Christ, and that His teachings are what this life is all about. However, I also think we probably have a lot of things wrong in the Christian church.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I can't answer the poll because the only choice for non-believers is: "I know that all religion/churches are bad for everyone and I wish everyone realized this." To say "I know" is too strong, and implies an unwillingness to consider new evidence. "There's not a shred of evidence that..." is more appropriate. So, I am confident that no religion church is the right. Further, I generally don't feel that the spiritual beliefs of individuals are harmful, and that's as fas I'll go in this venue. :001_smile:

That's why I voted Other in that part. OP, it seems you wanted to include non-believers, but didn't give us options besides "it's all bad". I know - hindsight, right? I'm not complaining, just explaining.

To me, religion isn't something you pick and choose, but it is a progressive discovery of truth. Therefore, the attitude of "It might be right for me but not someone else" doesn't hold water. Don't we all want to find the underlying truth to everything? Something is true if it's true for everyone, otherwise it's just a preference.

I am a Christian and believe that salvation for all people comes through Jesus Christ, and that His teachings are what this life is all about. However, I also think we probably have a lot of things wrong in the Christian church. My faith has evolved quite a bit from where it first began, but hopefully it is getting closer to what that truth is, and to what God intends for us to know.

My spiritual truth, my god-understanding, my higher power is far, far more nuanced than exclusive Christianity. So, no. Your denial of inclusivity as "doesn't hold water" ........... doesn't hold water.

That's why I voted Other in that part. OP, it seems you wanted to include non-believers, but didn't give us options besides "it's all bad". I know - hindsight, right? I'm not complaining, just explaining.

Adding the word "path" to the religion/church would have helped, I think.

My spiritual truth, my god-understanding, my higher power is far, far more nuanced than exclusive Christianity. So, no. Your denial of inclusivity as "doesn't hold water" ........... doesn't hold water.

This is a textbook example of the divide between people who believe there is one truth and those who don't. It sucks that there tends to be a lot of animosity between the two that is tough to resolve because of having almost opposite views of reality. I think this may be a self-report problem: each side can logically throw out the argument because they don't believe the one truth/multiple truths premise.

If there is one truth, saying "that works for you but not me" is nonsense because truth is not subjective, therefor logically there cannot be inclusivity between religions that believe opposite things. In this instance, close only works for horseshoes. This assumes one believes every tenant of the religion with which one identifies. Personally I don't understand identifying with a religion that one "mostly" agrees with rather than finding one that one completely believes in, however there are people who "like everything but.." and that works for their conscience.

If there is not one truth, of course exclusivity is nonsense and seems incredibly arrogant, even when one tries to say there are bits of truth outside a religion that is *the* truth. People on this side are completely justified saying the others on the other are not flexible enough, but that's because they see multiple, simultaneously correct truths where the others do not.

Yes, I do believe that my religion (Islam) is the truth, and it is what God wants people to live and believe.

I think it's sad that our religion is bashed so often, and the people and cultures around the world are used as the tool to learning the belief system of the religion. Using faulty humans as the measuring stick to what the religion teaches turns into faulty information. Anyway, I felt I had to say that because I think my first statement might seem scary to some.

I feel the same as a Muslim. I do believe that in today's time and place, Islam is the right way to go. That means believing in one God and that Muhammad is the last messenger. We believe in God, His angels, His books (the Bible as the message revealed to Prophet Jesus and the Torah as was revealed to Prophet Moses), and His prophets. We believe in the Day of Judgement and in God's Will. The Quran recaps allll that history and then sets up the last of the laws. Practicing Jews and Christians at the time of Muhammad, peace be upon him, easily embraced Islam because it was a continuation and finalization of what they were already doing. It was the idol worshippers who resisted the most.

Practicing Jews and Christians at the time of Muhammad, peace be upon him, easily embraced Islam because it was a continuation and finalization of what they were already doing. It was the idol worshippers who resisted the most.

:ohmy: